[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Love from Ground Zero
Love from Ground Zero
jazz Date: Friday, 07-Jan-11, 6:39 PM | Message # 1
Surfie

Review of 'Love From Ground Zero' by Fran

Released in 1998, this is one of Simon's earliest movie appearances, and it's one of my favourite Simon films. Not only is Simon spellbindingly good in it, but he gets a significant amount of screentime, so in my opinion it's a very worthwhile addition to any Simon Baker collection.

The movie follows 3 mismatched characters (Eric played by Simon, Walter - Pruitt Taylor Vince & Sam - Jacqueline McKenzie), who meet at a friend's funeral and embark on a journey together, using a series of old postcards to retrace a road trip their friend Henry had done years before.

So what is it about this movie that I love so much? Probably first and foremost because of its beauty. The cinematography is wonderful, in a charming personal way that draws me in, and makes me feel that I am travelling with these people. The film has a great atmosphere which is difficult to describe, but is partly thanks to the gorgeously rich, soothing narrative by Henry which is poetic, inspiring and timeless. And partly thanks to a great soundtrack.

And equally inspiring is the journey that they make. The characters are honestly portrayed, and not exceptional or unbelievable in any way, so that you can identify with them and their feelings. Mismatched characters who come together under traumatic circumstances and help eachother to come to terms with their loss and deal with their grief.

You’d imagine, given the subject matter, that the film would be depressing. But I find it to be completely the opposite. Everything about this film is handled with great sensitivity, and it's never dark or depressing, which makes it enjoyable to watch. The journey they make is not just a physical one, but is also a journey of self-discovery, and that in itself is uplifting.

http://www.lovefromgroundzero.com/

Trailer: (2:30) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3wVTNsAVdc

JudeBlue Date: Friday, 04-Mar-11, 2:48 PM | Message # 2
Cobber

Oh no, another film I'm going to have to try and find!

And look - LaRoche!!!

Fran Date: Friday, 04-Mar-11, 5:46 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

Yes, I think that Simon and Pruitt Taylor Vince work really well together.

You might be lucky enough to find a 2nd hand copy of the film, but I've never seen one. It wasn't generally released, but you can buy the DVD from the film's website (shown above). Its not absolutely top quality but its pretty good. Also, it will play on all regions.

JudeBlue Date: Saturday, 05-Mar-11, 12:05 PM | Message # 4
Cobber

Thanks for that Fran, I shall have to investigate.

smile

Fran Date: Friday, 12-Aug-11, 1:01 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

Currently the DVD is only available for pre-order from the Love From Ground Zero website.

This is because they are working on a new DVD that includes bonus features and never seen before extras.

Thanks to FallinFan for the information.

Fran Date: Monday, 22-Aug-11, 11:18 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

From the Love from Ground zero team:

"We are looking at March 13, 2012 for the DVD / video on demand release of the film. We'll have more details this fall about regions, extras, and more."

sylvia5993 Date: Saturday, 17-Mar-12, 8:18 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

I have a question reguarding the release of "Love from Ground Zero" which I hear was going to be this month, so far nothing, has anyone an update on that?

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Sunday, 29-Apr-12, 1:22 PM | Message # 8
True Blue

I am really looking forward to DVD-release as well, would be great to have it kind of as a consolation during TM´s summer break...

Tassie Date: Sunday, 29-Apr-12, 1:43 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

On movie site says 'I Give It A Year' due for release on 31st December 2013-that's an awful long time to wait!

Fran Date: Monday, 30-Apr-12, 0:52 AM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Quote (Tassie)
On movie site says 'I Give It A Year' due for release on 31st December 2013-that's an awful long time to wait!

Tassie I'm not sure if you've put this in the wrong thread or just typed the name of the film wrong.

Re: 'Love from Ground Zero' I've not seen any updates about the DVD release - rather disappointing and I'm starting to wonder if it will actually happen.

Re: 'I Give It A Year' On imdb its still showing a release date of 14th February 2013 - Valentines Day, so I'd have thought they would be keen to keep to that date.

Geli Date: Thursday, 28-Mar-13, 6:10 AM | Message # 11
Surfie

Just checked the website mentioned in the first post. All I can get there is three alternating pictures and the story. Underneath it says "copyright 2013 Ptarmigan Films", so this is recent. (Disappointing)

Fran Date: Friday, 19-Apr-13, 10:05 AM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

Posted yesterday on LFGZ Facebook page "We are so excited to announce that LFGZ will be released on iTunes in just a few months!!!! :)"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.p....count=1

Mossibecca Date: Friday, 19-Apr-13, 10:50 AM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

Months!!!!......what the heck is taking so long??...... wacko

Wand6122360 Date: Friday, 19-Apr-13, 12:49 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

That's going to be my first iTunes purchase!!! Thanks for letting us know.

Tina Date: Friday, 19-Apr-13, 2:35 PM | Message # 15
Fair Dinkum

That's great news. I have the movie, but will get it on itunes in better quality (hopefully they have it in HD). A DVD would have been better though ...

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Love from Ground Zero
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz