• Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » The Olive Sisters
The Olive Sisters
Fran Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 12:50 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

The Olive Sisters - film adaptation of book by Amanda Hampson

Information already posted elsewhere:
(from http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/forum/2-191-19524-16-1422360785 )

As it inches towards pre-production, Fred Schepisi’s “The Olive Sisters”, based on the best-selling book by Amanda Hampson, thickens it’s cast.

We’re told Leslie Mann (“The Other Woman”) and Simon Baker (“The Mentalist”) have joined the film, which is set to go into production down under shortly. The film sees Baker return to his native Australia, where he cut his teeth on such shows and features as “E-Street” and “Love From Ground Zero”; while Mann’s versatility as a performer – she’s best known for comedies, but has done her fair share of dramatic work – will see her a worthy addition to a terrific yarn.

The movie will tell the story of two generations of an Italian family . Part of the film will focus on the family in the ’50s, while the other will be set in the modern-day and follow the granddaughter. The movie, which Hampton is also adapting for the screen, has been in development for quite some time but is now welcomingly gearing up for a shoot down under.

Here’s the synopsis of the book from Amazon :
When Adrienne’s marketing company goes down, her lifestyle does too. She retreats from the city to the beautiful, abandoned olive grove once owned by her Italian grandparents. A ‘tree change’ isn’t what Adrienne has in mind, however, and life in the country delivers some surprises as she confronts the past and learns the secrets of the Olive Sisters . . . Old loves, new loves, warm toast and rich traditions are all part of the delicious blend of this absorbing story.

http://moviehole.net/201584706mann-baker-pick-olive

Director Fred Schepisi imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0770961/

A little bit more info here: https://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/catalog/FilmDetail.php?id=19819

i.e. Made by Arclight Films (who made S&D101). Due for release in 2016.

Adrienne Bennett is a successful businesswoman with an enviable lifestyle but when her business goes down her life falls apart and her self-confidence quickly crumbles. She is forced to move from her beautiful Sydney apartment to the small rural community of Duffy’s Creek and the run-down olive grove she has inherited from her grandparents.

Over the next few months she makes some startling discoveries about her identity that lead her towards a deeper exploration of who she really is. She’s forced to confront and deal with secrets from the past and along the way she learns something about humility, friendships, forgiveness and love.

In a parallel narrative we follow Adrienne’s grandparents, the Martino family, Italian migrants who worked hard to establish the olive grove in the belief it would provide a legacy for their two daughters, Isabelle and Rosanna. They take local mining engineer Jack under their wing and he falls in love with and marries Isabelle, the elder sister. When problems in the marriage emerge, a pact is made between the sisters that leads to heartbreak and estrangement.

2013 - Screen Australia Producer Directory Cannes 2013
Listed as in development, Estimated Budget A$15
http://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/getmedi....013.pdf

May 2014 - excerpt from interview with Fred Schepisi
What do you have coming up next that you’re excited for audiences to see?
SCHEPISI: The Olive Sisters will be next. It’s a film I’m doing in Australia about two generations of an Italian family, one in the late 50’s and the other now [in the present] with the granddaughter. It’s all about prejudice and changes in prejudice and farming. It’s a beautiful story.
We have Sarah Jessica Parker, Anthony LaPaglia, Josh Lucas, and Melissa George.
http://collider.com/words-and-pictures-interview-fred-schepisi/

July 2014 - excerpts from interviews with Fred Schepisi
Okay Fred, so what sort of projects are you doing in the future, and will there be further long gestation periods?
Well, in a month’s time I was supposed to start something called The Olive Sisters, based on a novel by Amanda Hampson… But my financing just fell through, so that’s the end of that.
http://www.adelaidereview.com.au/arts....ictures

What’s next for you as a director?
Well it’s supposed to be a thing called The Olive Sisters but there’s some financial stuff going on, hopefully it happens this year.
http://iris.theaureview.com/2014....nd-more

[Presumably funding is in place now, and the movie is going ahead]

December 2014 - from Amanda Hampsons website
The Olive Sisters – Movie Update
Over the last couple of years I’ve had the privilege of working on the screenplay for The Olive Sisters with the internationally admired and hugely talented Australian director Fred Schepisi. Over the last seven years I’ve written and rewritten this script but the last couple of years under Fred’s direction have been quite a learning curve for me and taken the script to a new level.

Setting a novel on two different time frames is an absolute doddle compared to trying to turn that into imagery. It’s incredibly complex working out how the two stories intertwine and support each other and in what order the revelations should appear.

While my first love is – and always will be – the novel, working on a script for a visual medium where the entire story has to be delivered in around 110 pages has been a real education in structure, stage management and brevity. I can really feel the difference in my writing now that I’m back working on a new novel.
http://www.amandahampson.com/27/

"The Olive Sisters" with Simon now confirmed on the Arclight Films website: http://arclightfilms.com/NewTitl....rclight

Cast currently showing as: Simon Baker, Lesley Mann, Jacki Weaver, Melissa George

Synopsis:
When a glamorous sydney-sider's business goes under she reluctantly moves back to her family farm. And with the help of a handsome neighbor unravels the mystery surrounding her grandparents romance as she embarks on an epic journey of personal discovery. An adventure unlocking a heartbreaking secret that will free her from the past.

KathyF Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 1:27 PM | Message # 2
Rip Snorter

Hmmm...could Simon be the handsome neighbor? One wonders. Thanks as always Fran for your amazing detective work finding information about our boy! respect

KathyF Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 1:31 PM | Message # 3
Rip Snorter

We know he's much more than a pretty face though...so, hopefully he has a great role for us to get into.

Tina Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 2:28 PM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

I don't mind if he is the "handsome neighbor". Maybe this part is even better then it seems on first look.
I would be happy to see him in a role as a natural boy like a farmer or something. Too many times he was in a suit, now it's time for casual look.
With Breath and this movie I'm really happy that we will see him in complete different parts than in his other projects.
I'm sure it will be a good part, otherwise Simon wouldn't have signed for it.
This book sounds so much like my kind of thing, so I'm very excited to see this as a film.

Green Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 5:04 PM | Message # 5
Surfie

Just ordered the book for my Kindle, so it's waiting there for me now. Can't wait to read it and imagine Simon as one of the characters.

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 8:32 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

After you read it, try to guess and tell us wich character you think Simon will be playing! Would be fun to find!

Green Date: Friday, 30-Jan-15, 10:02 PM | Message # 7
Surfie

Good idea, I'll let you know my guess. I suppose when the movie is eventually made we won't get to see in in the U.S. - or, who knows, we may get lucky.

Wand6122360 Date: Saturday, 31-Jan-15, 0:12 AM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

According to IMDB, Simon Baker has the role of Joe, whoever that is. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4397386/

Considering how reputable the director is, I am definitely hoping for a North American release. If not, I will resort to downloading the movie.

KathyF Date: Saturday, 31-Jan-15, 0:37 AM | Message # 9
Rip Snorter

Just received my copy in the mail today! Can't wait to start reading it!

Tina Date: Saturday, 31-Jan-15, 6:45 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

I've been reading for a while and now comes the moment when Joe Oldfield has his first appearance. He is a character in the present story. Jack would have been a great part for Simon too...I wonder who will play him.
I love the book! This is the kind of story I like so much. A little bit like a novel by Tamara McKinley, my favorite Australian writer. Very excited Simon will be in this movie smile

KathyF Date: Saturday, 31-Jan-15, 7:02 PM | Message # 11
Rip Snorter

I have barely started. Just reading the origins of the family in Australia. I already love the writing style!

Tina Date: Saturday, 31-Jan-15, 7:08 PM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

Seems he really is the handsome neighbor tongue
Hopefully it's a big part.

Green Date: Monday, 02-Feb-15, 2:22 AM | Message # 13
Surfie

It seems like the character Joe is written with Simon in mind, at least in the physical description-- intense green eyes, handsome, 45 years old, weather marked skin, handsome- Very easy to picture him as I read. (oh, did I say handsome twice?) I'm enjoying the book very much, and hope that Joe will turn out to play a big part in it, even though he's not the main character.

Tina Date: Monday, 02-Feb-15, 8:45 AM | Message # 14
Fair Dinkum

I thought so too Green. First we learn about the green eyes, that he's 45 years old and then the rest that just fits perfect for Simon. I'm enjoying the book very much.

I wonder who will be Adrienne...I'm not too much a fan of Melissa George ..would rather see somebody else play her. But the other acress looks more like Isabelle to me.
I'm really happy Simon will be in a movie like this! Just hope there will be more Joe when I get further into the book!

bee Date: Monday, 02-Feb-15, 11:29 AM | Message # 15
Fair Dinkum

So looking forward to this film (still waiting for my copy of the book!) and also to hear Simon's Australian accent!

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » The Olive Sisters
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz