[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
bee Date: Friday, 17-Jun-16, 6:46 PM | Message # 376
Fair Dinkum

Many thanks for the interview Ivana.

kim Date: Wednesday, 22-Jun-16, 3:27 AM | Message # 377
Bee's Knees

Thanks for posting the interview link Ivana. Always nice to hear good things about Simon. Can't wait to get more about the release dates for Breath.

Lariki71 Date: Wednesday, 22-Jun-16, 5:30 AM | Message # 378
Jillaroo

Thanks a lot for the interview!

Hayseed Date: Monday, 18-Jul-16, 5:27 PM | Message # 379
Bee's Knees

Thanks, folks.

This is from an interview in a Russian mag that was posted in the Simon News section. Anybody want to discuss?

GQ: - Which is the most dangerous thing you did in your life?

SB: - My biggest risk in life is the film I directed. It’s psychologically a very difficult experience for me.

Drumstick Date: Monday, 18-Jul-16, 6:51 PM | Message # 380
Blow-In

Well, making a book into a movie is always a bit of a pickle, and this book had a very interesting storytelling. Imagine how many people read the book and each of them have a different visions of all the scenes there, different feelings...Now imagine you are the one who is entitled to make a movie out of a certain book, with your own personal outlook on it which might be, or better will be different than anybody else´s for sure. I read the book and there were some parts which made me think, well this is going to be difficult to shoot. I can imagine the pressure that came from it. Combined with the hard work and effort that was put in it I could understand why it was psychologically difficult experience. It would be for anybody.
It´s like sharing your inner thoughts and imagination with the rest of the world not being sure with the outcome. But I am looking forward to it and I will love it for sure, because I simply will smile
I actually can´t wait to see it.
And then see it again.
And again. biggrin

DaboGirl Date: Friday, 22-Jul-16, 0:52 AM | Message # 381
Jillaroo

Oh yes Drumstick, Breath will defiantly be a binge watch many times movie. biggrin snap

emmyderidder Date: Friday, 22-Jul-16, 7:02 AM | Message # 382
Dinkie-Di

For sure.......I've read the book,saw the filmshoots in Denmark Ocean Beach,by webcam.Now waiting for

the Movie,hope it will be possible in The Netherlands
bye

Ivana Date: Thursday, 11-Aug-16, 6:43 PM | Message # 383
Fair Dinkum

HEATH JOSKE SCORES STUNT MAN GIG FOR MAJOR MOTION PICTURE

Apr 29 2016

Australia's own Heath Joske to surf for Simon Baker in the film version of Tim Winton’s Breath.

Hollywood came calling at an unlikely time for Heath Joske. The stylish natural footer had moved to an obscure stretch of South Australian coast, begun work on a prawn trawler, grown a beard big enough to get lost in and all but turned his back on professional surfing. When the phone rang he was literally chipping away at rust on the prawn boat to get it ready to go to sea. “It was the light at the end of the tunnel,” reflects Heath with a chuckle while waiting around for waves on the set of Breath, the feature film based on the award-winning novel by Tim Winton, which is currently in production in south-west WA.

Joske is the stunt double for Simon Baker, who in addition to playing the lead role of Sando, is also directing Breath. Although laced with multiple plot lines and time frames most of the story is set in a fictionalised WA surf town in the 70s and focuses on two teenagers and their journey through surfing’s rights of passage while influenced by a mysterious, former pro surfer named Sando.

Surfers are always curious about the way their passion will be portrayed on the big screen. We’re always wondering if a feature film project will do justice to the surfing lifestyle or somehow misrepresent or cheapen its image. So far Joske sounds confident that Baker has an authentic vision for the project.

“He seems like he’s pretty on to it… he’s been heavily involved. I’ve been surfing a lot of his personal boards and he’s been talking to me a lot about how he wants me to surf… I think they want to keep it accurate to the era rather than do something unrealistic and grandiose. It’s not like we are going to go charging the right on jet skis.”

Baker is best known as the star of US TV series The Mentalist, but his surf credentials check out. He grew up surfing around Ballina and according to a couple of locals from the late 80s scene was a regular standout in the lineup. “I haven’t actually seen him surf yet but apparently he surfs really well,” suggested Heath. This might not be Simon’s best work but there’s enough in the cuttie and the bottom turn to suggest he has some serious surfing chops.

Heath indicated that WA shaper, Aido Shepherd, had been employed to ensure the single fins used in the film are accurate recreations of those ridden in WA in the 70s. Meanwhile the art department on set got in touch with Tracks to ask if they could create a mock cover with ‘Sando’ on the front. Given Tim Winton wrote one his first short stories for Tracks we figured the fictional Sando could have his page one.

While Baker will be the one chiefly responsible for the cinematic interpretation of the book, Heath assures us he’s done his research and is a big fan of Breath.

“I’ve read the book and love it… The way it describes the coastline when Sando takes the boys surfing; I think Tim captures it magnificently,” he enthuses.

Joske also admits that he’s enjoying the perks of being part of a major film project. “I’ve got a pimping house to myself down here and aside from winning a contest I’m probably earning better money than I’ve ever made.”

The only downside for Heath perhaps was the renovations the makeup department made to his famous face wedge. “The beard’s been severely trimmed and bleached. It’s pretty potent and burning from the tip of my nostrils to my eyeballs right now,” he laughed.

Depending on how well production goes Breath looks likely to be released at the end of 2016 or early next year. With Tim Winton’s words as the inspiration Breath has the potential to be a compelling film. There’s a lot riding on it for Baker in his dual role as lead actor and director. If he can pull it off we’ll hopefully see an Australian classic that also manages to meet the eternally close scrutiny of surfers. At least we know Heath Joske will get the surfing part right.

http://www.insidesport.com.au/tracks....-427005

thanks to http://sarapettarini.tumblr.com/

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 12-Aug-16, 0:07 AM | Message # 384
Fair Dinkum

Simon's stunt double, Heath Joske:

bee Date: Friday, 12-Aug-16, 8:36 AM | Message # 385
Fair Dinkum

Interesting article about Heath, thank you Ivana and a great pic too, thanks DSP! smile

Tassie Date: Friday, 12-Aug-16, 11:56 AM | Message # 386
Bee's Knees

Good to get some 'behind the scenes' info. Thanks Ivana and DSP. Also exciting to think the film may be released at the end of this year.

Tina Date: Friday, 12-Aug-16, 1:32 PM | Message # 387
Fair Dinkum

Thank you Ivana and Marie. Very interesting! Can't wait to see the movie.

Wand6122360 Date: Friday, 12-Aug-16, 5:11 PM | Message # 388
Bee's Knees

Thanks Ivana and Marie. Interesting article, and knowing what a perfectionist he is, it's not at all surprising that Simon worked so hard on historical accuracy.

kim Date: Wednesday, 24-Aug-16, 2:57 PM | Message # 389
Bee's Knees

Full article is at: http://www.smh.com.au/enterta....83.html

Excerpt about Breath:

Breath nears completion

Simon Baker, Samson Coulter and Ben Spence in Breath

Simon Baker, Samson Coulter and Ben Spence in Breath. Photo: Nic Duncan

Another highly anticipated Australian film is nearing completion. After a panel discussion on women in film and television at Hamilton Island Race Week on the weekend, actor-director Simon Baker told this reporter that he was close to finishing the cut for Breath, his debut film based on Tim Winton's bestselling novel. He has shown it to just one person so far, his actress wife Rebecca Rigg, who has given him candid feedback. As well as directing, Baker plays a reclusive surfer named Sando. Newcomers Samson Coulter and Ben Spence play two teenagers who form an unlikely bond with the charismatic Sando and his wife Eva (Elizabeth Debicki) in the 1970s. The film was shot around Denmark in Western Australia.

Wand6122360 Date: Wednesday, 24-Aug-16, 7:02 PM | Message # 390
Bee's Knees

Thanks for posting, Kim. Considering that Simon and Becca have bought the rights to another book, I'm assuming they're comfortable with how Breath has turned out.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz