The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Margin Call
Margin Call
Fran Date: Saturday, 28-Jan-12, 12:01 PM | Message # 46
Fair Dinkum

Australian Academy International Awards - Margin Call wins 'Best Screenplay' (joint win with 'The Ides of March')

http://www.deadline.com/2012....avicius

Fran Date: Sunday, 26-Feb-12, 3:11 AM | Message # 47
Fair Dinkum

Margin Call has won the Independent Spirit Award for 'Best First Feature'. At the ceremony they also received the 'Robert Altman Award' which was announced in November - this is for the film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news....-294970

Fran Date: Monday, 27-Feb-12, 1:27 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

Margin Call lost out on the Best Original Screenplay Oscar, it was won by Woody Allen's 'Midnight in Paris'.

http://www.seat42f.com/oscar-winners-2012.html

Juney Date: Monday, 27-Feb-12, 5:34 PM | Message # 49
Bee's Knees

Shame, but it is an honour to be nominated though.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 28-Feb-12, 1:36 AM | Message # 50
Fair Dinkum

Presentation of the Robert Altman Award at the Independent Spirit Awards. (recipients including Simon go up on stage from 3:00):

(4:46) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gusKvUnpbSM

Fran Date: Friday, 14-Sep-12, 7:43 PM | Message # 51
Fair Dinkum

UK DVD Release Date for Margin Call - 12 November 2012

£9.99 with free delivery from play.com
£9.70 with free delivery from amazon.co.uk

Special Features:
Revolving Door: Making Margin Calll
Deleted Scenes
Deleted Scenes with commentary
Missed Calls
Moments with Cast & Crew
From the Deck: Photo Gallery

http://www.play.com/DVD....ls.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Margin-Call-DVD-Kevin-Spacey/dp/B009900FTS/

Fran Date: Friday, 09-Nov-12, 0:32 AM | Message # 52
Fair Dinkum

JC Chandor interview: http://200percentmag.com/2012/11/08/j-c-chandor-margin-call/

Excerpt of Q&A relevant to Simon:

200%: Kevin Spacey and Jeremy Irons have played cold-hearted, calculated men in previous roles, whereas Simon Baker, who delivers a powerful strong performance, hasn’t. How did you have the confidence that Baker would portray his character with the requisite gravitas?

J.C. Chandor: That role was very crucial. It was the person who came in before Jeremy’s character, John Tuld, and it was the person who was actually making a lot of the decisions that affected a large portion of the company. The character was so driven towards one thing. I have been a fan of Simon for a long time, ‘L.A. Confidential’ was one of his first roles in the US, and he was also working with Kevin then. I can’t say at the time that I was even thinking that far ahead, but I was going with my gut and I felt like that Simon could embody that character. I haven’t seen that many episodes of ‘The Mentalist’, but of the one or two that I have seen, he is a happy go-lucky character, playing the nice guy who is smarter than everybody. Simon runs that show. In real life, Simon is actually quite close to the character he plays in ‘Margin Call’ [laughs]; he is a very serious guy and very driven. His success did not come to him through luck alone. He really killed it [the role].

Lena Date: Friday, 09-Nov-12, 7:38 PM | Message # 53
Dinkie-Di

It's lovely read nice words on Simon, thank you Fran for this article.

Message edited by Lena - Friday, 09-Nov-12, 7:39 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Saturday, 10-Nov-12, 10:46 PM | Message # 54
Bee's Knees

Thanks very much, Fran. Very interesting snippet about Simon. He really was amazing in LA Confidential.

Fran Date: Sunday, 11-Nov-12, 12:24 PM | Message # 55
Fair Dinkum

You're welcome Lena & Wanda, although personally I found Chandor's comparison of Simon to Jared Cohen more than a little 'off'. Yes, of course Simon is extremely driven with a very serious side - I don't think that's a surprise to any of us on here who know how hard he works and that he's a deep thinker. But Simon combines that with great warmth, humour and empathy. By contrast Jared has none of those qualities - he's totally ruthless and uncaring, and I certainly couldn't envisage him as a loving family man.

bee Date: Sunday, 11-Nov-12, 12:51 PM | Message # 56
Fair Dinkum

Having just received my Margin Call DVD through the post and watched it once more I totally agree with your views Fran.

Wand6122360 Date: Sunday, 11-Nov-12, 2:37 PM | Message # 57
Bee's Knees

To me, JC Chandor's laugh after he said that about Simon meant that he was somewhat kidding. I think he meant that Simon's seriousness enabled him to understand Jared, rather than that Jared was a replica of Simon.

lenacr Date: Sunday, 11-Nov-12, 9:05 PM | Message # 58
Dinkie-Di

I also see so little likeness between Simon and Jared. Simon is a warm and fair to all person and is a far cry from the cold, detached and cut-throat Jared. Poor comparison, I think. Yes, they are both driven to succeed, hard-working and serious about their own job; but Jared was ready to step on dead bodies in order to succeed, something that Simon would never do!!!... And yes, maybe Chandor was just kidding!.... Anyway, how can one respond to such a senseless question???

Message edited by lenacr - Sunday, 11-Nov-12, 9:16 PM

Fran Date: Sunday, 20-Jan-13, 8:03 PM | Message # 59
Fair Dinkum

I listened to the audio commentary by JC Chandor and Neal Dodson, so here are the main comments I picked up on from Simon’s scenes.

First Conference Room scene (Simon’s 1st scene):
JCC: Simon just took this scene over in a beautiful way. He built this character off of – he spoke to a couple of different guys, and the one that he really connected with was a guy that essentially had no social graces but was a Maths genius, and was a little bit Aspergers almost, just an absolute whizz. So Simon’s character in this scene, if you can say its exactly what you were thinking about when you wrote it, Simon embodies that, down to the Hermes tie that we picked out together, to that suit that’s one of his own that fits him like an absolute glove.

It was a joke that no-one could remember Seth’s name (Penn’s character) so Simon brought a beautiful adlib in there “What the f**k is his name?”.

ND: Simon does such a good job. The sardonic sense of humour that he brought to this scene is really great and it’s great in contrast to Demi who’s so clearly terrified through that scene.

Jared’s Office (with Kevin):
JCC: A beautiful shot here that I got in trouble talking to Simon about - he asked me how the take was, and I just responded immediately with the background was amazing, which to any Directors out there, is not probably the best reaction to give to an actor who’s just delivered a line.
ND: And Simon has never stopped making fun of you for it.

Elevator scene (with Demi):
JCC: So this is a favourite scene of mine, I love this. Another scene, where it's such fun as a writer, when you write something, and that scene where Demi and Simon go at it the way they did, that’s exactly as I wrote it.

ND: Simon is such a slime in this scene, he’s so good, right here where he’s just politicking her like crazy, and she’s actually being kind of honest, and he refuses to engage her honestly, he just sort of stays cagey and so icey.

Bathroom scene (with Penn):
JCC: These two guys just absolutely killed this scene with a beautiful relationship between the two characters where they don’t say much at all, but so much is communicated. And its another scene, it doesn’t always turn out this way, but its exactly as written.

We had Simon potentially saying ‘Sorry’ here, but decided against it.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 21-Jan-13, 0:08 AM | Message # 60
Fair Dinkum

Thank you so much for taking the time to transcribe this Fran. I have the DVD too. This film is absolutely excellent, and the whole cast is great.

PS: the elevator and bathroom scenes are favourite. A very good idea to show the characters through a different angle.
And the shaving… how can SB manage to be hot while embodying such a cold character?? huh

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Margin Call
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz