Thursday, 18-Apr-24, 2:49 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
tanjaontour Date: Saturday, 28-May-16, 9:56 PM | Message # 1306
Jillaroo

This house is just a dream ;)
Thanks kim

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 2:07 PM | Message # 1307
Fair Dinkum

Actor Simon Baker visits Dubai as Givenchy’s fragrance ambassador

Dashing Australian actor Simon Baker is best known for his starring role as Patrick Jane in the hit American TV crime drama The Mentalist, which ended a seven-season run last year.
He has also had notable film credits, including roles in The Devil Wears Prada and Margin Call.
He briefly visited Dubai on Thursday, June 2 to promote Absolute, the newest scent in Givenchy’s Gentlemen Only range.

The 46-year-old was en route back to his homeland where he is making his directorial debut with the film Breath.

We chatted to the star about his career, the prospect of revisiting The Mentalist and his involvement in the creation of Givenchy’s new woody, oriental scent.

Welcome to the UAE, Simon – will you have any time to see the sights while in town?

Thank you. Sadly not – I have just flown in from Paris and leave for Australia in the morning. Since I’ve arrived all I’ve had time for is a swim, a massage and that’s about it.

A “mentalist" could be described as a master manipulator of thoughts and behaviour – skills that your character in the show used to help police solve crimes. Did you pick up any tricks/tips or sharpen your mental acuity while making The Mentalist?

Yeah, a lot of them. There’s an element of NLP – neuro-linguistic programming – that takes place when you’re an actor. You have to meet someone and straight away create a relationship with them, for example – one that never existed. You have to do it convincingly, so there is a shorthand to understanding the different energy people have. It allows you to make a connection. Also, I did a fair bit of research into that “world" before I even shot the pilot of The Mentalist. And really, the reality was that the show had very little mentalism in it after the first season. Perhaps the writers got too puzzled by it and found it too difficult.

The Mentalist ended after seven years last year – might it return in some form?

I hope not. [laughs] It’s done and it needs to be left where it is. Look, I know Prison Break and The X-Files have been brought back – and I’d never say never – but sometimes I think a series can run its course and complete its story.

How did your partnership with Givenchy come about?

Givenchy approached me about four years ago and explained the story about Gentlemen Only, which was originally launched in 1975 by Hubert de Givenchy. They showed me the old advertising, which was chic and classic – quite different to the Givenchy we know today, which can be quite audacious and cheeky. Never before had I imagined myself being involved with a fashion house, or working with fragrances, but I liked Givenchy’s idea to re-release the fragrance and keep its classical roots.

Did your role in The Devil Wears Prada give you any industry insight or help prepare you for allying with the iconic maison de Givenchy?

No, not really, but a great experience I had with that film was seeing the dynamic between the grande dame, Meryl Streep, and Anne Hathaway, who was a lot younger then and very ambitious. Anne was so good and very keen, with a burgeoning career – so that was interesting to watch.

How involved were you in the olfactory process?

I talked to Givenchy throughout the whole process and a lot of the fragrances in the range are based on smells that I have an association with. Gentlemen Only Absolute, I like a lot, for example, because of its earthy sandalwood, vanilla and bergamot notes. Whereas Gentlemen Only Casual Chic is a lot lighter and fresher, with more citrusy notes. When a scent starts to smell ordinary after an hour of wearing it, it has no character – and I don’t like that. This range, however, has top notes that evaporate sooner [making it more evident] which is great.

You sound like an experienced nose.

I do, don’t I? It’s been fascinating to learn about the science and strategy behind the smells.

You have turned your hand to directing, with a screen adaptation of Tim Winton’s best-­selling novel Breath. When might we see it released?

Yes, I’ve just finished directing and filming it in Australia and now I’m about to start editing it. I don’t have a release date yet, as it’s still continuing. It’s an interesting “rites of passage" film about two teenage boys – it’s a movie all about identity.

Source

Quick-fire bonus Q&A: The Mentalist star and Givenchy ambassador Simon Baker

Rebecca McLaughlin-Duane | June 4, 2016

Australian actor Simon Baker, star of TV crime drama The Mentalist and the movie The Devil Wears Prada, paid a flying visit to the UAE on July 2 to promote Givenchy’s latest fragrance for men.
Gentlemen Only Absolute – a spicy, oriental fragrance with notes of sandalwood, nutmeg, cinnamon and saffron – will be available in the UAE in the coming months.

What characteristics do you have that complement Givenchy’s Gentlemen Only range?

Well, for me, it was important that Givenchy didn’t have greater expectations of me than I could reach (laughs). And as soon as I met a few of the main people there, it was pretty clear that they were happy with me being myself. So that’s what you see sitting in front of you. I’m just a straightforward person, really. Apart from that, I don’t know – gosh, I don’t know who I am. Perhaps I’m not that self aware (laughs).

Have scents always been important to you?

My olfactory system is very much linked to emotion, smells trigger certain emotions for me. I never really wore fragrances until my early 20s but now, I believe in their familiarity – it makes me feel comfortable. It’s like when you find the perfect T-shirt, for example. You’ll have a backup of two or three more for when it wears out. Fragrances are like that for me. They fit me, as opposed to me trying to fit them.

Would you describe yourself as a gentleman?

I certainly aspire to be a gentleman and it’s certainly the way I was brought up. I know it’s a pretty old-fashioned term and the marketing campaign for this range idealises me as being a gentlemen in regards to women – but personally, you can take gender out of it. It’s a willingness to be aware of others and to always be courteous.

You’ve said you’re not inclined to take part in any revival of The Mentalist but the show was part of a genre that endures in popularity. What do you make of similar shows that followed it – such as Elementary, for example?

Yes, well Elementary was pretty much the reimagining of Sherlock Holmes – but it was completely stolen from The Mentalist. I remember thinking that when it came out.

Is imitation the highest form of flattery in that regard then?

Ah yes, of course, I’ve no problem with that at all.

When not in your native Australia, what do you miss most about it?

Definitely nature.

Where will your next holiday be?

I’ll be in Tokyo.

What are you reading?

John le Carré, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

How do you like to unwind?

It’s actually quite hard for me, but I do like to have a swim and a lie down. I like what water does for me – to me. From surfing or being in the ocean, even just taking a shower or being in a bath – there’s something that happens to me when I immerse myself in water. When I come out of the water, I feel different – it’s a great mood adjuster.

What question do you tire of being asked?

Wow, there are heaps. I can’t even start listing them and I certainly don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable. (laughs)

What would your fans be surprised to learn about you?

That I’m actually quite boring. I’m getting more boring the older I get (laughs).

Source

kim Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 2:51 PM | Message # 1308
Bee's Knees

Thanks DS_P for the great add. I always love Simon's interviews. He is so humble it seems and genuine. Boring though? Never boring. But maybe I'm biased. cool

Ivana Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 3:27 PM | Message # 1309
Fair Dinkum

Thanks DSP! smile Nice interview, I like his comments about the water, I feel the same

Hayseed Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 3:48 PM | Message # 1310
Bee's Knees

It's Christmas in June!!! Thank you for bringing that here. He sounds like he's in a good place.

emmyderidder Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 4:00 PM | Message # 1311
Dinkie-Di

DS_Pallas, Thank you again for this interview !!!!!!!!!! Good of you.I don,t even know how to put something on it,or my own picture.....I know I asked you before...... biggrin

Hayseed Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 4:55 PM | Message # 1312
Bee's Knees

Yeah, I think thye're back in Australia for good. Simon can travel when necessary.

coral Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 5:05 PM | Message # 1313
Cobber

emmyderidder, maybe you didn't see the advice given to you in this post http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/forum/2-191-23375-16-1460291640

Deedee Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 6:09 PM | Message # 1314
Bee's Knees

Thanks DSP. Great interviews and have learned a little more about him. Interesting what he says about water being a mood adjuster - no wonder he lives surfing so much.

Tanja Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 6:49 PM | Message # 1315
Rip Snorter

Thank you Marie for posting it here. One of the best interview since ages! Very good different questions and the answers even better biggrin
Such a comfy relaxed man!! Love it so much on him!!

bee Date: Saturday, 04-Jun-16, 7:26 PM | Message # 1316
Fair Dinkum

Thank you DSP, Simon always gives a good interview with such interesting answers. He's such a down to earth, humble and genuine guy with no airs and graces but takes his duties as ambassador for Givenchy (and Longines) very seriously and I thnk it's lovely that Rebecca has always supported him in whatever he has chosen to do in his career.

emmyderidder Date: Sunday, 05-Jun-16, 5:54 AM | Message # 1317
Dinkie-Di

coral, Thank you so much.Indeed....I didn't see your help

emmyderidder Date: Sunday, 05-Jun-16, 5:58 AM | Message # 1318
Dinkie-Di

Fran, Thank you so much ,for helping me .....

Raven Date: Thursday, 16-Jun-16, 8:04 PM | Message # 1319
Dinkie-Di

‘The Mentalist’ Star Simon Baker Sold Sleek Sydney Penthouse

http://variety.com/2016....1797088

Lariki71 Date: Wednesday, 13-Jul-16, 12:12 PM | Message # 1320
Jillaroo

My free translation of an interview with Simon for the Russian edition of ELLE, August 2016

https://twitter.com/Lariki71/status/751897065677058048

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz