Wednesday, 24-Apr-24, 3:12 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 3: from 1 May 2017)
Simon News, Articles, Info
bee Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-18, 1:14 PM | Message # 256
Fair Dinkum

Wishing every success for Stella in this new drama. Simon and Rebecca must be so proud. I also believe John Polson is directing!

Wand6122360 Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-18, 10:03 PM | Message # 257
Bee's Knees

That’s one talented family.

Tina Date: Thursday, 28-Jun-18, 9:47 AM | Message # 258
Fair Dinkum

I'd love to see Simon working with Bruno Heller again!

Great news about Stella.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 02-Jul-18, 10:49 AM | Message # 259
Fair Dinkum

Quote Tina ()
I'd love to see Simon working with Bruno Heller again!

Yes I'd like that too. I think these two make a great team!

The only source for this information is the French article, I didn't read anything from Simon in other interviews talking about that, but in recent interviews he hadn't been questioned about that anyway. And when he talks about his next projects, he is rather vague, except when he mentionned "The Shepherd's Hut" project.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 02-Jul-18, 11:13 AM | Message # 260
Fair Dinkum

SIMON BAKER The Aussie actor reflects on his Hollywood career.
After the heights of TV stardom, the Aussie actor explores a new passion with his movie ‘Breath’
and savours 20 years of marriage

WHO 2 Jul 2018 By Kara Warner

Like many young Australian actors, Simon Baker headed to Los Angeles with hopes of Hollywood success—but he only had two
months to make it big. “My bank account set a time limit for me,” Baker remembers of his 1996 move from Sydney with his now wife,
Rebecca Rigg, and their 3-year-old daughter, Stella, in tow. “We said, ‘Let’s go out for a while. We’ll call it a holiday if nothing happens.’ ”

What happened is that Baker almost immediately booked a role in the acclaimed movie LA Confidential alongside fellow up-and-comers
Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce—and he never looked back. Two decades later, after headlining two hit TV series ( The Guardian and
The Mentalist), Baker, 48, took on another bold experiment: directing his first feature film, the coming-ofage surfing drama Breath.
The drama spoke to him as a dad of two teenage boys—claude, 19, and Harry, 16—along with Stella, now 24, and, he says, “I wanted to
put two things that I love together: surfing and filmmaking.”

Growing up in the small surfing town of Ballina, NSW, Baker saw the waves as an “escape.” His mum, a high-school English and drama
teacher, and his dad, a mechanic, divorced when he was young, and his family didn’t have much money. “I loved photography and
I loved cameras, but we didn’t have a pot to piss in,” he says. “I was happy if I could get lunch, let alone a camera.” He turned to surfing
as his creative outlet, “to get away from awkward circumstances,” he says. “I developed a trust and confidence in myself, physically.
That was a big part of my sanity as a kid.” He lucked into acting success in his early 20s by landing a role on the homegrown soap
E Street, where he and Rigg played onscreen love interests. “I’m not really sure that I even wanted to be a performer. It just kind of
happened,” he says. “And then I was making a living, faking stuff in front of a camera.”

After living together for five years, Baker and Rigg, 51, wed in 1998. “We’re a team. We’re really great friends. The most important thing
in our relationship is we’re able to be ourselves,” he says. And they’re not big on celebrating anniversaries, though their 20th is coming up
this October. “They’re an odd thing, aren’t they? I have some friends that are very strict about anniversaries of everything. There was one
year, I think, that we went out to dinner and I bought a gift and we had an argument—because I think we put too much pressure on it.
If we’re not spontaneous, we don’t feel like we’re ourselves.”

Baker credits his wife with encouraging him to take the risk of directing. “She said, ‘There’s a lot of crap films made. Who cares if yours
is just another one? Just make it!’ ” he says with a laugh. Over the years, despite roles in movies such as The Devil Wears Prada and
Something New, he had gravitated to TV so he could come home to his family in LA every day. “Once the kids started getting older
and into school, I didn’t want to leave,” he says.

With his kids growing up— Stella is a Yale School of Drama graduate—baker felt he could dedicate the time to make Breath, filmed on
Australia’s west coast. “I feel really proud that we actually were able to pull it off,” he says of the movie, which has already earned him
an Australian Directors’ Guild award. Next on his to-do list? Some R&R with his family—“We live by the beach, and get into the water
most days”—and some free time to put into his new hobby: growing vegies. “I like gardening,” he says. “It’s nurturing. As my kids get
older, I have to find things to put love into, and gardening is good for that. And my dog. And my wife. And maybe another film.”

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 02-Jul-18, 12:49 PM | Message # 261
Bee's Knees

Really lovely article. Thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date, DSP.

bee Date: Monday, 02-Jul-18, 8:55 PM | Message # 262
Fair Dinkum

Great article, thanks DSP. Regarding future projects didn't Simon also buy the film rights to "Man in the Corner" by Nathan Besser?

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-18, 1:55 PM | Message # 263
Fair Dinkum

Great interview of Simon on PodcastOne:

" Listen to new episodes of Aussies in Hollywood with @JennyCooney featuring #SimonBaker (https://player.fm/series/aussies-in-hollywood/simon-baker ) , #AbbieCornish (https://bit.ly/2IV89QG ) and #PaulHogan aka
#CrocodileDundee (https://bit.ly/2KEe8hV ) at these links or search 'Aussies in Hollywood' on iTunes
"

itunes link to download the interview podcast:

https://itunes.apple.com/us....14?mt=2

Source : https://twitter.com/PodcastOneAU/status/1014367966974996480

Aussies in Hollywood (not updated yet, but should be soon): https://www.podcastone.com/Aussies-in-Hollywood

Deedee Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-18, 8:57 AM | Message # 264
Bee's Knees

What a lovely interview and a couple of things we didn’t know about him too. Thanks for posting DSP.

bee Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-18, 11:13 AM | Message # 265
Fair Dinkum

Really enjoyable interview with some new snippets of information from Simon. Many thanks DSP.

Wand6122360 Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-18, 10:22 PM | Message # 266
Bee's Knees

Nice interview for sure!

kim Date: Friday, 06-Jul-18, 3:31 AM | Message # 267
Bee's Knees

Bee: yes that is the other book that he talked about several years ago that he optioned.

So many great interviews! I love his voice, I could listen to it all day I think. Very calming.

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 07-Jul-18, 7:57 PM | Message # 268
Fair Dinkum

New film with Simon Baker!

Simon recently said in @jennycooneycarrillo podcast ( see post above ) he will film in Arnhem land later this year.
Apparently, he is cast in place of Guy Pearce, who was in the previous 2017 casting (2016 article here

Source

"HIGH GROUND"

Screen Australia, in association with Screen Territory and Film Victoria, are supporting the feature film HIGH GROUND, a new frontier Action Thriller to shoot in the Northern Territory.

HIGH GROUND reunites director Stephen Johnson and writer Chris Anastassiades, creative team behind award-winning film YOLNGU BOY.
The pair have worked with Witiyana Marika, local families and communities to develop the film.

Produced by David Jowsey and Greer Simpkin (Sweet Country, Mystery Road, Goldstone), Maggie Miles (Paper Planes and The Turning) and Yothu Yindi co-founder Witiyana Marika, a senior elder of the Rirratjinu Clan.

Synopsis: 1930's. After fighting in the 'great war' and now a Policeman in the vast empty spaces of the north, Travis bungles an expedition causing the massacre of an Indigenous tribe. Twelve years later, Travis is hurled into a 'forgotten war'... Settlers are under attack from Indigenous warriors intent on taking their country back. Tasked with tracking down the warrior leader, Travis teams up with mission-raised Djumbatj, a young Indigenous man orphaned in childhood, and the two unravel a secret that ultimately pits them against each other...

Shooting in Arnhem Land and Kakadu - August/Sept/October 2018

STARRING (from left to right):
David Gulpillil, Simon Baker,
Jack Thompson, and Sean Mununggur.

•••

Article from october 2017 talking about the project: https://www.if.com.au/stephen-johnsons-high-ground-shoot-next-year/

Deedee Date: Sunday, 08-Jul-18, 10:13 AM | Message # 269
Bee's Knees

Wow well that’s exciting news!! Sounds a really great Australian story and from the podcast he is obviously very passionate about supporting the Australian film industry. I think that’s fantastic and he sure doesn’t let the grass grow etc haha. Thanks for posting DSP.

bee Date: Sunday, 08-Jul-18, 1:37 PM | Message # 270
Fair Dinkum

Great news and I agree it seems Simon is totally committed to supporting the Australian film industry. My only worry is will it be released worldwide or just for the Australian audience?

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 3: from 1 May 2017)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz