Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon Says
Simon Says
Fran Date: Saturday, 09-Apr-11, 0:56 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

You are coveted by millions of women since The Mentalist, how does your wife feel about it?

I have been with Rebecca for 20 years. She is the only person on earth who knows who I really am. She knows my soul and she has my heart. And she has confidence in me. She knows that everything else is artificial.

Fran Date: Saturday, 09-Apr-11, 0:57 AM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

You know, acting is the only way I've been able to articulate certain things. It's why I love acting, I want to be able to express things to people or for people that I can't necessarily articulate. Acting is a form of expression I wouldn't have had.

Fran Date: Saturday, 09-Apr-11, 0:58 AM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

There have been many people before me who’ve been the guy on a TV show that’s doing well and there will be many who come after me. My way of coping with it is, ‘Yep, it’s all great and fantastic but it could go away tomorrow.’ So I don’t hang all my self-worth on it.

It’s like a surfer taking off on a wave. Once you’re on it, you go with it – you don’t have time to think about it. You just keep going forward and enjoy what it is.

Fran Date: Saturday, 09-Apr-11, 1:00 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

There was nothing Hollywood about me changing my name. It was about wanting to find out where you fit in the world and where you come from.

A lot of that became more potent for me when I was about to become a father myself. So that was the beginning of the saga and it took me to 30 to change back to Baker. It was really a process of letting go a lot of emotional baggage and guilt and all that sort of stuff and realising I am of my own self who I am. So it was going full circle.

Who you are, and the moments that you have just before you go to sleep-if you're at peace in those moments, then nothing else matters.

Fran Date: Sunday, 10-Apr-11, 1:21 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

My hair has its own personality; it does its own thing. But I thank God for every follicle that's still active.

I dyed my hair for a project a year ago, and I reckon it was probably a mistake. It ended up orange and is only getting back to normal now. Really, I didn't even care when it was orange. It was my wife and friends who were like, 'Dude, you've got to fix that hair.'"
(December 2008)

Fran Date: Sunday, 10-Apr-11, 1:21 AM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

I always feel a little bit like an impostor. I feel out of place, like I shouldn’t be there, and get those feelings that I’m not worthy.

But who doesn’t? Put the guy who says they don’t have any self-doubt in front of me, and I’ll make him cry in two minutes because they’re the ones who are more stuffed up than anyone.

Fran Date: Sunday, 10-Apr-11, 1:24 AM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

For me what's important is making breakfast with the kids, having a game of backgammon on a Saturday afternoon with friends.

They're the moments, the foundation I want my life to be built on, not the shifting sands of popular opinion or box-office receipts.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 12-Apr-11, 2:11 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

There are things about me that are diametrically opposed and I shift between them constantly. Not comfortably.

I'm someone who craves simplicity. I am a worrier, absolutely, but you always have to look for the simplicity. I remember someone who was going through real emotional turmoil saying to me, 'If you look at the sky, it's still there'. The simplicity of things like that are the things that keep me centred.

I think I probably am a bit of a mixed up mess of a man. But that's all right, I think if I was able to work everything out, then where is the mystery and challenge of life?

Fran Date: Tuesday, 12-Apr-11, 2:13 PM | Message # 9
Fair Dinkum

I have forty years of life behind me. I surf, I like to drink a glass of wine from time to time, to dance. I benefit from this existence and I carry that on my face. And let it be said, that does not worry me. I am physically changing and it's normal.

Between last year’s poster and the one which you now mention (the 2nd season campaign for The Mentalist), it appears as if several years have passed, but I wanted to have my say this time and appear as I am.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 12-Apr-11, 2:14 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

I’m relatively introspective and quite shy, and I think that works for me as an actor because I think about things, I analyze things, and I enjoy that process.

You know we were talking about being a country guy? A country guy is someone who’s interested in people. And I’m interested in people, their stories, in what they do and how they live. I feel an obligation to all different kinds of people, to humanity, in what I do.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 12-Apr-11, 2:18 PM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

I'm an incredibly proud Australian, ridiculous to the point where my American friends get sick of hearing me say, `But in Australia it wouldn't happen like that'. I'm that guy. So it broke my heart when people were saying, `Ah, you don't want to be Australian'.

I was like, you don't understand. There's no rejection of my Australian-ness. That's something you'd have to beat out of me with a stick.

Fran Date: Saturday, 16-Apr-11, 1:32 AM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

Which role was more emotionally draining for you, The Guardian or The Mentalist?

Both characters were pretty complex, but with The Guardian there wasn’t the humorous element to the show, although I tried and a lot of the time it was quashed.

I guess The Guardian was more draining because it was more monotonous in a sense for the character. Whereas The Mentalist is a more faceted character, there’s a lot more different directions that I can take the character and play around with, in any scene or moment or situation, which keeps it refreshing and keeps me challenged to come up with different ways to play different beats within a scene.

Fran Date: Saturday, 16-Apr-11, 1:33 AM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

What are the things that make you happy?

Watching my kids laugh is the main thing, when they get along together and crack eachother up, that’s like hard drugs, an enormous high.

I like good wine with friends. I like travelling. I like very simple things, I’m a sensationalist, I like sensations – like the idea of diving into the ocean and letting the salt dry on my skin in the sun gives me enormous pleasure. Very simple things like watching the sun set or watching a storm come in.

Fran Date: Sunday, 17-Apr-11, 1:51 AM | Message # 14
Fair Dinkum

I have a certain element of self destruction, self-loathing and the fact that I have a family and a wife has given me a sense of responsibility and a purpose, and I owe a lot of where I am to that. My wife has always been a real rock for me.

Fran Date: Sunday, 17-Apr-11, 1:54 AM | Message # 15
Fair Dinkum

The basic principle of Hollywood is success has many parents and failure is an orphan. No-one wants to be the father of failure. I’ve done movies that were failures and I refuse to orphan them. In fact, they’re the ones I loved the most because no-one else loved them.

To me the only real part is the experience of making it – the rest of it is someone else’s experience. Often in Hollywood it’s the cart that’s influencing the horse. I’d rather concentrate on being the horse.

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon Says
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz