Friday, 19-Apr-24, 1:16 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 22 Blue Bird (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
22 Blue Bird
DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 30-May-14, 9:38 PM | Message # 106
Fair Dinkum

Totally agree with you Bee, I couldn't have put it better. happy

marta75 Date: Friday, 30-May-14, 9:52 PM | Message # 107
Rip Snorter

I agree with you Bee.
I was not a shipper at the beginning and I must say, sometimes, I found the character of Lisbon a bit shallow but all along the seasons some episodes like red haze for exemple (season 4) made me think the jisbon thing would be credible. And in Blue Bird Robin Tunney express successfully a great sensitivity.

marta75 Date: Friday, 30-May-14, 10:13 PM | Message # 108
Rip Snorter

Sorry It was Fugue in Red and not red Haze

Tina Date: Saturday, 31-May-14, 8:47 AM | Message # 109
Fair Dinkum

I think many people weren't shippers first but became one after the years. I read a lot comments like that in the internet. In the beginning I always thought they should be best friends and the show should end like this. But a while ago I started to see that Jane can only be happy with her (no matter that I was a bit angry with her in the last episodes ...like she treated Jane was not okay). They just fit.
I'm sure Bruno and the writers won't do it wrong in Season 7 and let it be like Bones that I watch but I think it has lost so much since they were a couple. Can't say anything about Castle because I have never seen an episode and I'm just not interesting in that show.
I can understand that some people don't like Jane and Lisbon being together, but I also don't think this was a sudden decision because it might have been the end. We all know that Simon has a lot of say in that show so I think even if he said years ago he doesn't want them to end up together he was okay with it now. And he sure did an excellent performance in that last episode! They should give him more scenes like that.

AgentM Date: Saturday, 31-May-14, 12:16 PM | Message # 110
Bee's Knees

Writer's Rulebook 101 :

Rule no.1 - Never kill off a main character
Rule no.2 - Never get the lead characters together romantically
Rule no.3 - Never ever use a dream sequence to backtrack

Hey, if NCIS' Gibbs can have rules, so can I ! lol. lol

I am fully aware that many people won't agree with me and each to their own (that's why I love this forum so much). I stand by what I said though. Yes, I fully accept that Patrick has been on an emotional and psychological journey and yes, he needed to get to the point where he could love again. Yes, I fully accept that Lisbon (for many people) was pretty much always going to be the one with whom it would happen. I know the dynamics of their relationship had to change after Red John...BUT...just because it is the obvious thing to do does not automatically make it the right thing to do. To me personally (and I know I'll need to take cover for this one, fo' sure!) ... I think that rule no.2 gets broken time and time again by the writers of TV shows because they are running low on ideas. *hastily runs off to dive under the table* There are so many precedents for it, you'd think someone would want to be original. I thought that Bruno and the team were that group of people - the ones who would break the mould.

Don't get me wrong, they are an incredibly talented bunch who have written some fantastic material respect And I'm sure I'll enjoy the last episodes, just as long as the plot lines don't revolve around the two of them now being together.

I don't think we'll ever agree on this one, so let's all just look forward to the fact that for another 13 weeks (somewhere around Christmas) we'll still be able to see the lovely Simon and Robin doing what they do best. biggrin

Fran Date: Saturday, 31-May-14, 2:22 PM | Message # 111
Fair Dinkum

I should have thought the most important Rule is that the Rules vary depending on circumstances and situation. So for example, a show with a huge worldwide audience that's airing on CBS and nearing the end of its life, would have very different considerations to, say, a new show airing on the BBC in the UK.

I guess another Rule that may be important for successful TV writers is to 'understand your audience' whilst also appreciating that you can't please everyone.

AgentM Date: Saturday, 31-May-14, 3:08 PM | Message # 112
Bee's Knees

Quote Fran ()
important for successful TV writers is to 'understand your audience' whilst also appreciating that you can't please everyone.

I agree with you on this. I do sometimes forget that CBS and other networks want to make money and they do this by giving the audience what they want. And there is nothing wrong with this. But it would be nice (and totally controversial, I admit) if someone would avoid the path of least resistance just now and again. As I've said, I know I am in the minority here (and I accept that) ... I guess it's just a little bit like hoping that someone would be willing to stand up for the little man's views once in a while, instead of going along with the bigger, more influential organisations/opinions.

Anyways, like I said, I think we all need to move on - what's done is done, and there is no changing it now - I look forward to seeing what the writers have got up their sleeves for next season. Roll on January.

Message edited by AgentM - Saturday, 31-May-14, 3:09 PM

June Date: Saturday, 31-May-14, 8:26 PM | Message # 113
Bee's Knees

"The most important thing is not what is told but how is told". What is the easy way for some people, it's coherence for me. I've watched The Mentalist since the beginning and I've never had in mind the "they will, they won't". Because this series have not wanted to play that game and I appreciate it very much. As Bruno Heller said: this is the story of a tortured man and his way to redemption. And it has been until now. After six years, with Red John dead, Patrick Jane is finally free for finding his own happiness and I can't imagine that happiness away from Lisbon. I think it wouldn't have been unrealistic. Because she has been always there supporting him, we have had through the series a lot of hints that proved they needed each other. Love was in the air but there wasn't the best conditions for that. In my opinion the writers have made the right thing.

I love movies and when I think about some romantic endings, I can remember a lot. Some of them become a classic. And most of them end with a kiss.

Message edited by June - Sunday, 01-Jun-14, 0:45 AM

angel Date: Saturday, 31-May-14, 10:30 PM | Message # 114
Cobber

OMFG i haven't laughted and cried so much then with this episode. Glorious. Start so funny with the murder solved in 5mins and jane constantly asking about Lisbon. The cop wondering what happened and next you know he says your all under arrest.

Nice chats with jane n lisbon at office where looks like she still trying to get him to admit his feelings and think he does then jokes about it. Then the lovely little remark ' this is our last case' so sweet. But abbott knows something afoot. Jane smiling too much but he goes with it. Liked the shots of miami and the steamy salsa music while jane n lisbon driving in flashy car.

Great scene with Vincent Spano as the husband of deceased and his daughter and new wife. What a family but was funny. Loved lisbon n jane on the beach. Loved how lisbon so happy when she solved the riddle which jane let her have. Too easdy and you knew this was all set up. But she was so happy. When she saw her room and clothes you could see she was falling for it. Then abbott and cho turn up to spoil his planned dinner but good to have them. The look on jane face when lisbon arrive dolled up but then how episode suddenly changed was incredibly done.

Now all serious when lisbon found out it was planned a week earlier so knew he sent the letter. Jane was trying to catch killer but mostly wanted to lure lisbon and she was furious. So funny though abbott and cho talking bout it and abbott could not believe that cho could not see that jane lisbon loved each other. Classic. These are the new double act. But then jane talking to lisbon thru the door. What a emotional scene i was nearly balling with jane. So sad. She decided to leave and oh god they had to get pike in there when she said she on way and accepted his [proposal though she ignored what he was saying.

Then the fun again with jane drinking and waiting for killer and when lover turns up then neighbour but they were not the killers so they sat down to talk. Then the lover made an impression and jane decides to leave for airport and would you believe the killers show up who were her friends. Again funny jane trying to coax them into going and sending text to cho and abbott. Omg when reading the message cho saying Soz when realised its SOS and jumped up. Then hear all that shooting and what lousy shots they were. Jane solved case cought killers and was now on way airport.

God when jumped fence you feel his real pain. Poor simon. but again the plane scene was simon at his best. beautifully done and wonderful. Then the ending where they still banter then lisbon just wants to hear it and the lovely kiss with the freeze frame at end. EPIC episode. Just want to see it again and again. Even my sister who watches but not intently has been glued to the reboot. Classic episode and yes to s7.

Still last word with cho n abbott where abbott tell him and cho says i see them as brother and sister. These two are better then cho and rigsby. Again i am surprised i said it but there you are. This team is so much better.

Juney Date: Monday, 02-Jun-14, 5:10 PM | Message # 115
Bee's Knees

AgentM I agree with both your last two posts (too long to quote). As you say what's done is done so we must move on although you never know there might be a twist. I just hope as do most people on this site that we get proper crime solving eps. and not all mush, weddings and bedrooms, at least they've steered clear of that last so far. Roll on next year. (I think that with every hiatus, and at my age that is a bit worrying dry ).

Juney Date: Monday, 02-Jun-14, 5:22 PM | Message # 116
Bee's Knees

I've just been back and read some of the earlier posts and find that I had really only repeated what so many people had said before (AgentM Evy, ruuger to name but a few). That's the trouble when you (me) don't log on every day and only watch the ep. on recorder. Sorry folks for being so late in catching up.

Just one thing, does Jane have an endless supply of money. That hotel, the car and those dresses must have cost a fortune. biggrin

Message edited by Juney - Monday, 02-Jun-14, 5:24 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 02-Jun-14, 6:52 PM | Message # 117
Bee's Knees

Back story about Jane, he had to have quite a bit of money to have such a great house in Malibu, and his car and possibly a stash as getaway money to flee the country once the dastardly deed was done. So yes, quite a bit of moolah. However, did he sell his house since then, and the car. Remember, only his office/studio in the back of the house burned down. Maybe there were insurance policies on his wife. So Jane was a rich man when the whole thing went down. This is what I surmised from the beginning.

AgentM Date: Monday, 02-Jun-14, 8:26 PM | Message # 118
Bee's Knees

No worries, Juney...I always think the best guests turn up late to a party anyway! wink

As for Jane having money, I'm with sylvia5993 on this point. I guess I always figured he had earned a heck of a lot of money with his fake psychic shenanigans. I know Lisbon also stated that Jane wasn't 'about money' in Ball of Fire when he'd been abducted and they were trying to figure out motives for why someone would take him. Jane didn't need to be 'about money' because he always had plenty. He also gave a lot away - especially newly acquired money like in Red Handed (buying the team gifts and gifting the remainder to the woman whose mother needed a new liver). The fact that he has monogrammed shirts and bespoke suits (and now shirts - even though he could have had a few more made!) sort of speaks to someone for whom money isn't an issue.

I know he complained about how little the CBI paid him (Fugue in Red) but still believe that he had money from his past. I think he is choosing to look just that little bit scruffier now because he feels free-er (is that even a word?) and it goes against the smart, suited look favoured by the FBI (ever the subversive Jane).

Wow, that was a really long post just to say that, yes, I think Jane had money previously. tongue biggrin Apologies, using ten words when one will do runs in the family!

Message edited by AgentM - Monday, 02-Jun-14, 8:29 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 02-Jun-14, 9:26 PM | Message # 119
Fair Dinkum

Yes, I think Jane was a hig-flying con man…
And he must have a few bank accounts in some tax haven cool

Juney Date: Wednesday, 04-Jun-14, 4:33 PM | Message # 120
Bee's Knees

AgentM how do you remember all these things even down to the episode titles? I remember them now that you mention them but couldn't name them. I guess that you must watch each episode lots of times.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 22 Blue Bird (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz