Friday, 29-Mar-24, 6:56 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » Season 7 SPOILERS (Spoilers, from reputable sources, about unaired episodes)
Season 7 SPOILERS
Tina Date: Saturday, 07-Feb-15, 11:54 PM | Message # 211
Fair Dinkum

I'm a little shocked that some want to see Jane dead at the end of the show...I mean could you really enjoy watching TM knowing that he dies in the final episode? I know I couldn't. I couldn't even watch again TM for a very long time. Maybe I'm just too attached to this show...it means so much to me...it would break my heart if something would happen to him. I know he is just fictional, but he was with me for 7 years and I love Jane so much. I couldn't stand it seeing him die....

Message edited by tinamarianne - Saturday, 07-Feb-15, 11:56 PM

coral Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 0:36 AM | Message # 212
Cobber

Quote tinamarianne ()
I'm a little shocked that some want to see Jane dead at the end of the show

Me too, I thought most people were rooting for him, but maybe not
sad

Peithon Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 6:40 AM | Message # 213
Rip Snorter

There's a difference in being true to the story and what will please the fans. I agree with Simon, Jane should die heroically and be with Angela and Charlotte and leave Cho and Lisbon to couple. Now for business reasons, they are not going to kill off Jane for syndication purposes nor are they going to upset the fans. Now if this was a 12 episode miniseries, Simon would have got his way.

Tina Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 10:04 AM | Message # 214
Fair Dinkum

TM always had this "light tone" and a lot of humor. I don't think it would fit to the shows concept to kill Jane. And Jane chose to live.
This show wouldn't have been on so long without the fans. I think they/ we deserve it that Jane will live. Even in a miniseries or movie I wouldn't have liked it if he was dead at the end. There is enough tragedy in real life. There is no need to upset people with killing a beloved character.
I'm so happy Bruno feels that way too. He said this show was about hope. I don't think it was about syndication and money that he choose a hopefully happy ending.

Message edited by tinamarianne - Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 10:08 AM

marta75 Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 12:20 PM | Message # 215
Rip Snorter

Maybe it would make sense for Jane to die at the end of season 3 and the murder of Timothy Carter but it was no more time for that after 6 long years of Jane suffering in the RJ quest ! For once, I don't agree with Simon Baker.
IMO, killing Patrick Jane would be romantic but not very original.

June Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 5:10 PM | Message # 216
Bee's Knees

Quote tinamarianne ()
I'm a little shocked that some want to see Jane dead at the end of the show

Quote coral ()
Me too, I thought most people were rooting for him, but maybe not

What? I didn't mean that. sad I think my words were misunderstood. I love The Mentalist and Patrick Jane as much as you do and I don't want to see him die, of course not. The thing is I always saw Jane as a tragic character, tormented, with a terrible sense of guilt and vengeance controlling all his life, like a curse, like a dark cloud over his head. I didn't see a happy ending for Jane, it didn't make sense to me. Too much pain, he was a broken toy. That was my interpretation of the story. A complex character as Jane admits many and one of them was that. Sad but logical, in my opinion. That doesn't mean to wish his death. I want to be clear.
We'll never know if the death of Jane was in the script, it's just a guess. Most people wanted to see Jane happy and starting a new life with Lisbon, that's what Bruno and the writers decided to make and I'm glad about that.

sylvia5993 Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 5:12 PM | Message # 217
Bee's Knees

that is the whole point isn't it. Who would watch reruns or buy DVDs if they knew the ending was frightful. The protagonist cannot die.

redbird Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 8:15 PM | Message # 218
Dinkie-Di

I must repeat what June said - I don't want Jane to die but I, too, have never seen Patrick Jane as a "happy ending" kind of character.

And while there has certainly been a delightful amount of lightness and much humor throughout the series, I've never thought of The Mentalist as that kind of show. To me it was always a fight to the death between light and darkness and, until light finally prevailed, much of what we saw was very dark and tragic in tone. Like Simon, I've just always seen Jane as a tragic figure.

coral Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 8:40 PM | Message # 219
Cobber

Bruno said about Jane that Simon wanted to 'take him out!' - that means kill him off. So when people said they agreed with Simon, I assumed they were agreeing that Jane should die.

Tina Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 11:02 PM | Message # 220
Fair Dinkum

I'm wondering if Simon was really serious about it or just joking, knowing that Bruno would never go for it. For me, the RJ episodes were dark, but most episodes had so much humor and were with a light tone, Jane acting like he did, was just fun. So I really don't see this show ending with Jane's death. And yes coral, Simon's "lets take him out" meant he wants him to die and me too assumed that anybody agreeing with Simon want Jane to be killed.
I'm sorry but I'm very passionate about this. No other show and character has meant so much to me and a tragic end ...I just couldn't take it.
I don't need a wedding, I don't even need to see Jane and Lisbon as a couple. It would be okay if he leaves and she stays with the FBI, for the moment, and they leave it to viewers to imagine if maybe she changes her mind and follows him. I'm not really a Lisbon fan but I guess she is the only one who makes him happy, that's why it was okay for me that they end up together.

All that would be okay, but not one of them dying.

kim Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 11:55 PM | Message # 221
Bee's Knees

I agree with Tinamarianne, I couldn't take Jane dying. I do think that Simon was serious about his wanting Jane to die in the end to complete the tragic arc of his story. I am glad though that Bruno disagreed. It would be really hard to watch the shows over again if that was the known ending. I can't really watch all of the Guardian's because of the Lulu business and the way that she treated Nick. I am already bummed out that there are only 2 weeks left, and if Jane died I would be a mess of soggy tissues.

68Dove Date: Monday, 09-Feb-15, 7:41 AM | Message # 222
Blow-In

I too, am glad for a happy ending. With all the sad, dibilitating darkness in Jane's life, for him to have a future to look forward to and know he is loved and CAN love again is [b][color=red]THE ONLY WAY to bring Jane and Lisbon's story to a conclusion. BRAVO BRUNO! hands

June Date: Monday, 09-Feb-15, 12:31 PM | Message # 223
Bee's Knees

We have different views about the end of The Mentalist and it's good. Still we share our passion for this series and I love to have a place to talk about that.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 09-Feb-15, 1:11 PM | Message # 224
Fair Dinkum

I think Heller and Co found a way to satisfy Simon somewhere, as after the "Honey Moon" phase of the 2 first episodes, Jane started to find harder and harder to cope with the danger Teresa has to face every day on the field.
Every situation where she was in danger (like the prison undercover stunt that run out of control, or in Beyrouth, or when the sniper nearly killed her in Florida), seemed to pull the trigger of his post traumatic stress, more and more each time.

So we are shown a suicidal Jane, who is ready to sacrifice himself for Lisbon, who looks like he doesn't value his own life at all.
I found that very disturbing, I wonder if many people have noticed that, but if I were Lisbon, I would have been highly alerted by his behaviour, and it would come to my mind that the man I love is perturbed, stressed, and act even more crazy than usual.
Maybe Simon would have liked Jane to act suicidal, and eventually be deadly injured or something like that… Not very Out Of Character, really.
Instead, we have two characters who struggle with their own trauma, a Lisbon who's still in denial of her own issues, who's using her job as an armour, and a Jane unable to really turn the page, to control his fears, and unable to commit completely (he still wears his ring).
Well, it's tragic enough for me!

bee Date: Monday, 09-Feb-15, 1:37 PM | Message # 225
Fair Dinkum

I haven't seen all of Season 7, only some, but I have to agree DSP, Jane is becoming more and more stressed and emotionally disturbed about Lisbon's safety and I can't really understand why Lisbon is being so cold-hearted about this and I'm becoming so irritated about her behaviour towards Jane in this regard. She knew from the beginning that Jane is terrified and fearful of becoming close to anyone for obvious reasons. A comforting hug for Jane wouldn't have gone amiss after the funeral either! I'm afraid I'm a little disappointed in Lisbon all she seems to think about is work which I think is a little selfish. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Jane has a traumatic past from which I don't believe he will ever completely heal, least of all in the environment he finds himself with Lisbon. Seeing violence and death most days will not help him to overcome this constant fear he has and Lisbon should respect that. I may be in the minority but it seems to me that Lisbon could find herself another less dangerous post in the FBI. After all if it wasn't for Jane she could still be in Washington worrying about a lost stapler!! How much longer is she able to go "out in the field" anyway. She's not getting any younger and what is a few years compared to a lifetime of love with Jane! I'll get off my high horse now......

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » Season 7 SPOILERS (Spoilers, from reputable sources, about unaired episodes)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz