Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 4:18 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Jisbon (Who's tired of it)
Jisbon
cbg811 Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 8:16 AM | Message # 1
Blow-In

I'm so sick of the whole Jisbon stuff. I was actually hoping for more of a glipse into a possible connection with Lorelei and Jane than what I saw. I wish people would let the whole Jisbon crap go and just let it be what it is. I personally think it's nice to have a show where the main characters are just friends, instead of lovers.

Nixenkind Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 8:36 AM | Message # 2
Jillaroo

Hmmm- I mean, the show pretty much IS what it is, and it doesn't change that much what we want it to be, does it?
So, there are people who are rooting for Jane to get a random lover, or a dangerous one, a killer or a killer's minion, or come together with Lisbon, or find his gay streak and fall in love with Cho... so what?
I realize that there are a lot of Jisbon-lovers out there, but I can't really see the problem. I read people who complain from time to time, and that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but... well, I watch Bones and sometimes Castle (just for example), I like the shows very much and realize there's a STRONG front of shippers for both of them- I'm not one of them. I don't care all that much. I like the shows, the storylines, but I'm not behind a certain pairing.
But I can't say that the shippers are getting on my nerves, I find them rather cute. And the solely Caskett- and Bones/Booth-related stuff? I simply don't read it or have a look at it.
Maybe I'm overly tolerant because I'm a shipper myself, but I never really got the whole shipper/non-shipper-discussions- it's all just aspects of the show, isn't it, and we all have our own points of view, don't we?
About the "nice they're just friends"-thing- that's your opinion (I know, you said so yourself biggrin ), and it's great. I see overwhelming chemistry between those characters, and react towards it- feels natural to me.
It's quite possible that in the end, they will end up being nothing more than friends, or that all the shippers will be disappointed by what happens between Jane and Loralei, or that they end the series with a Jane/Lisbon-kiss over Red John's corpse... who knows?
I just know one thing: I don't really want to let other fans bother me because they favor other aspects of the show than I do. It's all fine with me.
And if you simply want to use this thread to chat with other Jane/Lisbon-haters, that's fine with me, too- I'm leaving now and won't bother you further, I just felt the urge to give my two cents :).
One last thing: maybe it would be better to call this thread "Anti-Jisbon" or so, especially if you want to stay among other "anti-Jisbons"- because with a title like "Jisbon", you can't stop shippers like me from having a look cool ...

Message edited by Nixenkind - Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 8:39 AM

Fran Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 9:35 AM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

The thread starter has a slightly confrontational feel about it - I 'm not sure if that was intended or if its meant to be an open-minded discussion about Jane & Lisbon's relationship.

I will be keeping a close eye, and if I don't like the way things are going I'll remove the thread.

bee Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 9:35 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

I agree with Nixenkind everyone has their own opinion of the relationship between Jane and Lisbon...that's their prerogative but I DON'T condemn them for their view. We interpret what we see on the screen as to how we feel. There are some who are tired of the whole RJ scenario and wish it to come to an end...I'm not one of them....simply because the show is first and foremost about Jane's guilt and grief and need for revenge. But there has to be balance as well as the darker aspects of the show, there has to be lighter moments too and I believe that the Jane/Lisbon relationship is showing how Jane is gradually realising that revenge should not encompass his whole life. He realises he needs Lisbon and it has become obvious that they are a lot closer now than in the beginning and he has finally come to trust her. His character is very complex and needs some sort of balance because if he was full of revenge all the time the show would become boring.

Whether they become lovers or not is not up to me, but personally I see Lisbon as the one true light in Jane's life, a chance for happiness in the future, because she has come to understand why he has become the person he his today and would do anything to help him, even risking her job...and if that's not love I don't know what is! I know there are those that disagree but that's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to have one.

P.S. I agree with you Fran.

Message edited by bee - Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 9:38 AM

lenacr Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 9:58 AM | Message # 5
Dinkie-Di

At the expense of everybody hating me and attacking me for voicing my opinion (happened before, I am afraid!), I have to agree with cbg811.
I am not as strong as this fan, but I believe that both Jane and Lisbon deserve better.
I would love to see Jane with VanPelt (provided that she is not RJ or one of his disciples) and Lisbon with the millionaire Mashburn (provided that he is not proven to be RJ).
Jane showed great interest for the red-haired VanPelt in Episode where he lost his memory, and she showed special ineterst in Jane right from Pilot episode; some friendship seems to be developing between the two and let's face it they would look lovely together.
As for Lisbon, she was so interested in Mashburn that she slept with the man (while Jane was around - betrayal!) and I believe she would deserve the luxuries that such a relationship would have to offer. Mashburn, on the other hand, is looking for a solid woman with a damaged intensity to give his life some meaning.
As for Jane and Lisbon, I prefer to see them remaining just good - but very good - friends.
Maybe, I am too romantic and lukewarm for cbg811, and annoying for others, but that's my wish - not even my opinion - because both VanPelt and Mashburn are candidates (for me) for RJ/disciples.

Alejandra Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 10:05 AM | Message # 6
Ankle Biter

I am a big shipper Jisbon biggrin

Long been my opinion is that the show IS NOT only about Red John and Jane. I think it is about Red John, Jane and Lisbon. Like a balance where Jane is in the middle with her vengeance, Red John to the left side tempting him to evil, and Lisbon on the right showing the good.
And if, as shipper, I want to end of show that Jane chooses to Lisbon and he can be happy.

Message edited by Alejandra - Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 10:21 AM

Nixenkind Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 10:38 AM | Message # 7
Jillaroo

Okay, one afterthought: Grace van Pelt is no match for Jane, and he hasn't two percent of the connection with her he has with Lisbon- not a chance, and he ABSOLUTELY wouldn't be good for her. He was after EVERY woman in "Fugue in Red", and how did he treat Lisbon in that episode? About the same.
Lisbon made it 100% clear that Mashburn was a one-night-stand and nothing else, and there was no romantic relationship between her and Jane at the time (technically, there still isn't), so she was well entitled to have some fun (I don't have to like it, but it's a fact- no betrayal here).
And: "someone who knows the worst of me and still loves me"? In my opinion, no one but Lisbon is fitting that description.
Just to make that clear: I have no problems with fans who're rooting for Jane/Grace, I just wanted to talk about some of the reasons why I don't agree... I don't mean any disrespect!
We're all fans of the same show.

Message edited by Nixenkind - Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 10:55 AM

bee Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 10:59 AM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

This show is causing some debate amongst its followers and this can be nothing but good for the show and I believe this is what Bruno was hoping for when he created TM, but I DON'T think he wanted to cause friction between its fans. After all Bruno and Simon wanted first and foremost for the show to be entertaining which I believe it is. However it ends there are some fans that will be disappointed that's just the way it is and I'm ready for that. It is Bruno's 'baby' and whatever he decides (or has already decided) on the outcome, we will have to live with that decision.

As has been said we are all fans of TM and I don't think Bruno or Simon would wish us to have any negative thoughts about the show.

Message edited by bee - Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 11:06 AM

Thrill Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 12:51 PM | Message # 9
Dinkie-Di

Remember what Fran says in the header... "TheBakerBoy is a frequently updated fansite, with an active community of like-minded people who admire Simon primarily as a very talented actor and a committed family man"

I appreciate the chance to have discussions and share views. If I want to vent there are other avenues for that.

Co-incidentally on the way home tonight I was watching part of the Pallyfest 2009 Interview when the subject of Jisbon was brought up. They (Bruno, Chris, Simon and Robin) all cringed visibly. Remember some of the comments - Simon " no, its all kinda wrong - its more like sibling rivalry or sometimes paternal/maternal.......they are showing how a mature evolved adult relationship works........ by not exploring the sexy vibe we can explore so many other avenues..... if they ever did - it would be the end of the show....." Robin "they are both really damaged - PJ isn't good boyfriend material anyway! You can't domesticate them - it would be really dull" and so on.

Now I know events have moved on in the 3 years since that was recorded - but I think that Lisbon being the straight arrow is essential for the show's balance - it allows PJ to do all the other stuff. Its like a comedy double act where you have the funny guy and the straight guy as the foil - and its the contrast that works.

I actually think it is quite interesting that they manage to show that they are getting closer - with Jane trusting Lisbon more - evolving into a mature adult close friendship - without resorting to sex! (which is actually more difficult to portray convincingly - especially given Simon is so gorgeous).

On another note I really admire Robin Tunney's professionalism - can you imaging working closely with Simon 36 weeks a year, 10+ hour days - and not having any impure thoughts!

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 2:21 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

I think it's OK to have a Jisbon/Anti-Jisbon debate on a forum, as long as (like with any debate) it's articulated, constructive and respectful of everyone's opinion.

Personally, I enjoy the rather complex relationship between the 2 main characters of this show, which shows the building of a solid friendship, mutual affection, and no matter if it's tinged with a flirtatious or erotic/sexual vibe, as long as it's cleverly used, useful to the storyline, and credible (seeing the talent of Baker and Tunney, it couldn't pose a major problem here).

Quote (Thrill)
On another note I really admire Robin Tunney's professionalism - can you imaging working closely with Simon 36 weeks a year, 10+ hour days - and not having any impure thoughts!

Who is 100% sure she was/is not having any?? happy

bee Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 2:44 PM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

My thoughts exactly DS Pallas...how do we know what Robin's thoughts actually are? unsure

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 5:26 PM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

At Peleyfest, both Simon and Robin agreed that to pair the two in a romantic relationship would be the end of the show. They are more like siblings, squabbling and remaining friends through it all. Maybe we'll see them getting together with totally different future players, since it was said "The Play's the Thing" or the TM is the thing.

Nixenkind Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 6:39 PM | Message # 13
Jillaroo

Paleyfest was three years ago, right at the beginning of the series- a lot has changed since then, and in interviews, Simon and Robin don't sound half as sure now.
It's only natural that their relationship is developing and changing. And: of course Jane and Lisbon can't become a couple until the end of the show- but that doesn't mean there aren't romantic feelings between the two characters.

bee Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 7:19 PM | Message # 14
Fair Dinkum

I have just been watching Series 1 and noticed immediately the difference in Jane and Lisbon's relationship. You can see at the beginning they are just colleagues and the closeness they have today is simply not there. Over time Lisbon has gradually learnt the horror of Jane's past and as a result has been willing to make allowances for his erratic behaviour. I believe the turning point for Jane was when he told Lisbon of his breakdown. It shows just how much he has come to trust her and since that time there has been a closeness between the two which has steadily grown.

Bruno has said in the past that the show is still evolving as I believe is their relationship, as happens in real life, and who knows where it will end. Personally I hope there is a future together for them.

Message edited by bee - Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 7:44 PM

Tish Date: Thursday, 05-Jul-12, 8:55 PM | Message # 15
Blow-In

Mmmhh what I question to be adding your very first post to.

Hello All!

I am on the fence about the whole Jisbon / anti-Jisbon thing - there maybe a future in it or not. We won't know for sure till the end of the series but what seems to shine through into their characters is that Simon and Robin appear to have become close friends whilst working on the show.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Jisbon (Who's tired of it)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz