Saturday, 20-Apr-24, 9:39 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Discussion
Fran Date: Sunday, 27-Feb-11, 12:47 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

Discussion thread for The Guardian

JudeBlue Date: Tuesday, 08-Mar-11, 9:20 AM | Message # 2
Cobber

I've only just started watching TG - on FiveUSA - although I've seen quite a few clips on YouTube, mostly they are about Nick and Lulu.

I'm enjoying it very much - and am trying to buy the box set because it's very frustrating only getting to see one episode a week when I know that it's all done and dusted.

Fran, do you know, did it all end abruptly at the end of Season 3 or did they know it was finishing and end it off properly?

smile

Fran Date: Tuesday, 08-Mar-11, 8:17 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

I adore The Guardian, must watch it all again soon.

I expect you're hoping for a simple Yes / No answer to your question, but I'm afraid its not that simple sad

There had been differences of opinion between CBS and David Hollander about the direction the show should take. Although it got good viewer numbers, consistently winning its timeslot, it wasn't performing particularly well in the 18-49 demographic, which seems to be important in the US because its prized by advertisers (Don't get me started on this, I don't understand the logic of it at all fool if indeed there is any logic. )

DH wasn't prepared to change the show to appeal to a younger audience, and midway through Season 3 CBS announced that it was on the bubble i.e. its future hadn't been decided and was in doubt. I've often wondered if they did this to put pressure on DH to tow the line, but if so it backfired. DH was angry and communications broke down further, to the extent that he didn't attend an event where he would have had an opportunity to fight for the show.

Despite this, I think most people directly involved still felt that because of its good ratings it would get renewed. However, DH wrote Antarctica with a view to providing an acceptable finale if necessary.

Filming had finished and Simon was working on his hiatus movie The Ring2, when he was told about the cancellation, and he signed up for Land of the Dead soon afterwards. To be honest, I don't think Simon was that disappointed about it being cancelled. He has since said that the character of Nick was affecting him and getting him down. He also had a punishing schedule - at an event which he couldn't attend because he was working, Dabney Coleman made the comment "they work him like a dog".

It was certainly a few years before Simon was prepared to consider a TV role again, and when he did return it was in Smith which as an ensemble cast, would have had considerably less pressure of work and responsibility. I think that to sign up for The Mentalist, he must have really loved the script and also had an immediate rapport with Bruno Heller, to feel that working on the show would be an enjoyable experience.

JudeBlue Date: Wednesday, 09-Mar-11, 9:14 AM | Message # 4
Cobber

Wow Fran, you are such a mine of information.

I don't understand the prized 'youth' market either, it's my experience that it's the 50+ people who have
the most disposable cash - certainly amongst all my friends, we were as poor as church mice when we were
younger.

I'm not surprised at Dabney's comment, I've seen the interview (Jimmy Kimmel?) where Simon is asked about TG and says 'it's a slog' and then quickly makes a more positive comment.

The character of Nick - and the tough storylines - must've been very draining, month after month.

Thank goodness TM came along - I know film careers are prized but I really appreciate good telly and TM has given me something to really look forward to (the last time that happened it was ER).

smile

Fran Date: Thursday, 10-Mar-11, 0:07 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

I used to love ER as well. I didn't understand what they were talking about sometimes, but it was still compelling, with great characters. Although it lost something for me once Anthony Edwards left.

Someone once explained to me that the 'prized youth' market is about brand loyalty. Advertisers believe that if they get you young, you stick with them. This was probably true once upon a time, but I don't think its true these days - everybody nowadays is looking for a bargain, including me.

JudeBlue Date: Thursday, 10-Mar-11, 9:32 AM | Message # 6
Cobber

Ah, brand loyalty. I agree with you, that perhaps meant something back in the day but now there is so much choice, in the shops and on the internet, and people are definitely looking for a bargain.

I guess I have some brand loyalty - I favour a particular make of car and a couple of makes of TV's - but mostly I'm a free spirit where brands are concerned.

[Dr Green was lovely, one of my favourites - Dr Carter was even lovelier love ]

I think it's terrible that advertising has the power to end a TV programme.

Long live the BBC!

JudeBlue Date: Wednesday, 30-Mar-11, 1:48 PM | Message # 7
Cobber

I'm up to episode 7 or 8 of TG now and Lulu has just turned up.

And Nick has told his father that he is leaving to go to a rival firm.

It really is a very enjoyable watch.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 30-Mar-11, 6:24 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

Oooh, there are lots of different views on the Nick/Lulu situation. And Nick/Burton for that matter. We may need to start a Guardian discussion thread, so that we can compare our opinions.

JudeBlue Date: Monday, 04-Apr-11, 12:57 PM | Message # 9
Cobber

That's a great idea Fran.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 06-Apr-11, 12:22 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Mmm, I'm assuming this is the first time you've seen it, in which case the tricky thing will be for me to express an opinion without giving away spoilers about future events. Understanding Nick really is an ongoing process, which is why I loved this series.

JudeBlue Date: Thursday, 14-Apr-11, 11:45 AM | Message # 11
Cobber

Well I've watched quite a few YouTube clips of TG and know the basic storyline, spoilers wouldn't
bother me. If you put 'contains' spoilers' in the thread title then other people who don't want to see
can avoid it.

smile

JudeBlue Date: Monday, 02-May-11, 6:17 PM | Message # 12
Cobber

Lulu has just kissed Nick but also admitted that she has a boyfriend - but he doesn't look at her the way that Nick looks at her. Too right.

I enjoy Simon's performance in TG very much. Such repressed emotion. Fascinating.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 04-May-11, 1:01 AM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

It was Simon's performance as Nick that first made me a fan. I think his ability to express such depth of emotion with such subtlety is truly remarkable.

I agree about it being fascinating. I was instantly fascinated - and I still am biggrin

I assume you're referring to the kiss on the cheek while Nick was dozing. At this point I decided that Lulu was a bit of a bitch - leading Nick on then shutting him out. I did try to see things from her perspective after that, but never quite succeeded. angry

alibongo Date: Thursday, 05-May-11, 8:32 AM | Message # 14
Ankle Biter

I managed to get the full series on DVD but its only on region 1 so I replaced the dvd players so I could code them up. Jude wait till you get to the third series OMG !

JudeBlue Date: Thursday, 05-May-11, 1:33 PM | Message # 15
Cobber

I assume you're referring to the kiss on the cheek while Nick was dozing.

Yes Fran, that's the scene. It was a rotten thing for her to do wasn't it?

Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz