Friday, 19-Apr-24, 11:13 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Discussion
Tina Date: Monday, 10-Aug-15, 2:32 PM | Message # 181
Fair Dinkum

Info for the German members:
Season 2 on dvd is coming on October 22 biggrin

Tina Date: Monday, 10-Aug-15, 4:00 PM | Message # 182
Fair Dinkum

Pipar, I don't know if there are subtitles. I have to check when I'm back home next week.

Tina Date: Monday, 10-Aug-15, 11:10 PM | Message # 183
Fair Dinkum

Thank you Pipar smile
I have the US DVDs but ordered the German version, too.

Tina Date: Wednesday, 09-Sep-15, 10:20 PM | Message # 184
Fair Dinkum

I'm just watching me through all episodes of TG again. It was funny to see '"Director Bertram" with Nick Fallin tongue .
Is it just me or does Burton's couch looks a little bit like Jane's couch? Oh I miss TM! I'm soon finished with Season 3, then I will start with TM from the very beginning.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 23-Feb-16, 10:05 PM | Message # 185
Fair Dinkum

Watch THE GUARDIAN on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B00K3B0VMI?tag=amausrecman-20

Nick is a hotshot attorney working for his father Burton’s prestigious Philadelphia law firm.
Starring: Simon Baker, Alan Rosenberg
Original air date: May 21, 2002

Available to watch on supported devices.

Reviews:

4.0 out of 5 stars
A Guardian With Edge
4.5 Stars… Be warned, the character Simon Baker plays in this series is edgier than his character in The Mentalist and slightly more abrasive. However, that being said the first season of this legal drama was the strongest. At the time, Baker was billed as a new face with edge from Austrailia and the series got good critical reviews its first year. Baker’s seens with Dabney Coleman were amazing to watch as he struggled between goodwill legal work and the call of “the rich firm” run by his father. Alan Rosenberg was good though the character he played was less rich than his characters in other series (Cybil, L.A. Law, Civil Wars). If you like Simon Baker in The Mentalist, and you don’t expect him to always play the same exact character, you’ll probably enjoy this first season and if like legal shows this series will also be enjoyable. So what happened in the remaining seasons? They retooled the premise to broaden their viewing audience and it watered down the show but this first season is definitely worth watching. I’d also recommend catching the actor in the romantic dramedy: Something New, if you are a fan of his.

4.0 out of 5 stars
Possibly One of the Best Legal Dramas Ever Aired
When I graduated from law school, I came very close to practicing the type of family law the main character, Nick Fallon, has been sentenced to, so I may be a bit biased. With that having been said, I thought this was a terrific series.The most important ingredient of this series’ success is the understated (and unfortunately, criminally underrated) performance of Simon Baker. Because of the manner in which he plays Nick Fallon, you can see how the cumulative strain of:
(1) Fallon being sentenced to thousands of hours of community service in most trying, heartbreaking area of family law –destitute, abandoned and defenseless children;
(2) while struggling to stay productive at his tough-as-nails father’s white-shoe mergers and acqusitions law firm and
(3)remaining soberis (incrementally) tearing his character apart.I strongly recommend this series to anyone who is tired of the melodramatic and overwrought nature of other legal dramas. It was really thought-provoking and entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars
A great, underrated show
I discovered this gem on a local channel while living abroad (granted, the episodes were not current). It was fascinating watching the challenges of Baker’s character as he worked for his father’s uptight law firm, while also performing mandated community service as a court-appointed guardian for kids with extraordinary difficulties in their lives. At first, I thought Baker’s character too cold and unlikable, but eventually realized he was meant to be very complicated. However, it was the acting of Alan Rosenberg, and particularly Dabney Coleman, that made the show stand out for me. I had never appreciated what a fine dramatic actor Coleman is. The show can be raw and difficult to watch at times, but the writing and the guest actors are excellent, and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars
The Best Television Drama Comes to DVD
If you missed this series when it ran in the early to mid-2000’s you may well find your favorite dramatic series is no longer on television or cable, but in this box set (and hopefully two forthcoming entries).“The Guardian” is not a “Murder She Wrote”-type series where there’s a smoking gun and a criminal on the loose every episode. Instead, the series is driven by Simon Baker’s character who is many things–a lawyer by choice, a children’s court appointed adovocate by sentence, an estranged son, and most of all a complex person with problems who has the tightest lips in the galaxy when it comes to voicing his own frustrations and concerns.
As the episodes–and series–unfolds the viewer wonders how long Fallon (Baker’s character) can keep it up. He’s heading for a breakdown and the suspense keeps one on the edge of his or her seat. Questions also arise: how did Nick Fallon get this way? Why do he and his father work together, but don’t seem to get along personally? Is Fallon still abusing drugs?For fans of the series this release signifies a sigh of relief as the wait for this set has been long. If sales are good then the world should be treated to the complete series and the saga of Nick Fallon will be lived and relived. It is “just” a TV series, but it also reminds us that even adults need intervention from family and friends (and should accepted it when the offer is made).

5.0 out of 5 stars
EXCELLENT TV drama series - so very underrated in so many ways
I became hooked on this series this summer (2009) while watching reruns on the Sleuth channel. Excellent series - VERY well written, acted and produced. I am also just discovering Simon Baker - an excellent actor in all his projects I’ve been able to find. A natural in front of the camera; he’s totally different in every one of his projects.ALL of the actors were amazing in this tough series - an edgy, bottled up, emotionally challenged Nick (Baker) dealing with his world of hurt when his mother dies and a sensitive boy is sent off to endure boarding schools and a cold Professional father (Dabney Coleman at his best) too tied up in a cold harsh business to help his hurting child. It is fascinating to watch the emotionally fragile walls spin and tumble as characters grow, change and relationships continue to evolve as the black and white efficiency of law starts to turn more gray as the world changes for the characters through their exposure to distraught, fragile children and families. They all start to discover how human and fragile they are. It is SUCH a shame this series was cancelled - the final episode in year three was awesome…

Deedee Date: Wednesday, 24-Feb-16, 1:36 PM | Message # 186
Bee's Knees

Thanks so much for posting this article DSP I agree with every word and absolutely agree that Simons performance was completely underrated as Nick Fallon. I loved watching this series and for me it was the one that introduced me to Simon so it remains very special.

bee Date: Wednesday, 24-Feb-16, 4:53 PM | Message # 187
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for the info DSP. I loved Simon as Nick Fallon. His character, (although very different from that in TM) was also very complicated and I agree his performance was totally underrated!

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 24-Feb-16, 5:46 PM | Message # 188
Fair Dinkum

Thanks DSP :). I like Guardian although is very hard to watch sad stories and constant struggle. Simon made Nick Fallon a very special character I cared for a lot.

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 24-Feb-16, 9:33 PM | Message # 189
Fair Dinkum

Well TG is a very good series, but a bit depressing, I agree.
The whole cast is great, especially Dabney Coleman, Alan Rosenberg, R. Sbarge, and of course Simon Baker. And I love the way it shows the father/son relationship.

Simon managed to play a very complicated character, and to turn an arrogant, cold and ambitious young lawyer into an amiable character for whom we can have empathy.

But why put the characters into such painful and frustrating situations? Sometimes it's too much… wacko
THe first season is great though.

And it's Nick Fallin, not Fallon… smile

Tina Date: Thursday, 25-Feb-16, 9:22 AM | Message # 190
Fair Dinkum

I fell in love with Nick first, even though I had seen the first season of TM already. So it will always be special for me. I watch the whole show from time to time.

I still have problems to realize that Nick and Patrick are both played by Simon because he is playing them SO different. I don't know if any other actor could do this. That's what has impressed me so much when I started watching TG for the first time. I'm totally in love with Nick Fallin!

My favorite beside Simon is Dabney Coleman! He is a great actor and I love the scenes with Nick and his father. I've never got warm with Lulu though ...and Jake, I so not like him!

I'm happy they have published Season 1 in Germany on DVD. Season 2 is coming, but the release date is pushed back again and again. I hope it will happen.
But I already have the US version, so I'm fine biggrin

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 25-Feb-16, 11:06 AM | Message # 191
Fair Dinkum

And Tina, who loves Lulu ? tongue

Tina Date: Thursday, 25-Feb-16, 12:11 PM | Message # 192
Fair Dinkum

Not me! I really don't like her. wink

Tanja Date: Thursday, 25-Feb-16, 5:43 PM | Message # 193
Rip Snorter

Thank you so much DSP!! I love The Guardian a lot!! Still waiting for DVD of Season 2 in Germany. But watched already complete show!!
Don't like Lulu either!! She hurted Nick although he changed himself a lot!! The Guardian is totally different as The Mentalist and every minute of that show is worth to watch.

Tina Date: Saturday, 05-Mar-16, 11:27 AM | Message # 194
Fair Dinkum

The Guardian will be released on BluRay in Germany. Season One is coming on March 10.

redbird Date: Monday, 07-Mar-16, 3:16 PM | Message # 195
Dinkie-Di

I think that Patrick Jane was a far more developed character but I've always loved Nick Fallin. I was absolutely mesmerized by Simon's ability to communicate without words. That said, the Guardian is a really hard show to recommend to other people because Nick really isn't a character who is easy to describe to anyone in a positive way - he's uncommunicative, he's sullen, he's ruthless, he's calculating, he's a addict. Not exactly a great ringing endorsement for an entertaining evening of TV but the few people who took my wholehearted recommendation for this show and actually watched it found it just as compelling as I did. Nick Fallin will always be one of my favorite Simon Baker characters because I fell in love with Simon watching him.

Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz