The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
tigglewink01 Date: Thursday, 17-Aug-17, 7:18 PM | Message # 451
Rip Snorter

Well it just makes me mad I should think they have enough money all ready their just greedy I hate lawyers angry

258pce Date: Friday, 18-Aug-17, 5:10 AM | Message # 452
Cobber

The Toronto premier sounds wonderful!

I wonder if he will be there?

Also, does anyone have any idea about why, after the debut in Sept. the film is not scheduled to be released in Australia until next May? Seems like an awfully long delay. Might he still be trying for Cannes?

tigglewink01 Date: Friday, 18-Aug-17, 6:12 AM | Message # 453
Rip Snorter

Anyone know when it will be available in the UK

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 18-Aug-17, 8:58 AM | Message # 454
Fair Dinkum

Quote 258pce ()
Also, does anyone have any idea about why, after the debut in Sept. the film is not scheduled to be released in Australia until next May?

That's only speculation, but Breath was scheduled for October 2017, but there's another film called "Breathe" released in October too, so because of the titles similarity, they may have decided to postpone the release to 2018, then try the Cannes Festival selection.

tigglewink01 Date: Friday, 18-Aug-17, 9:08 AM | Message # 455
Rip Snorter

Well I hope everything pans put for them I cannot wait to see it. Does anyone know if he is doing anything else in the future. smile

258pce Date: Saturday, 19-Aug-17, 0:06 AM | Message # 456
Cobber

Quote DS_Pallas ()
That's only speculation, but Breath was scheduled for October 2017, but there's another film called "Breathe" released in October too, so because of the titles similarity, they may have decided to postpone the release to 2018, then try the Cannes Festival selection.

Thanks DS. I believe I also saw the trailer of Breathe being listed for Toronto. It's all such a mystery to me how these decisions are made, but it would be really nice if he also got Cannes.....although the extra waiting time until release seems unbearable. But, like you said, it may all be speculation at this point.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 22-Aug-17, 8:39 PM | Message # 457
Fair Dinkum

New pic

Simon Baker’s “Breath” World Premiere, September 10, 3:30pm local time, Scotia Theatre, Toronto.

Ticket link:
http://www.tiff.net/tiff/breath/

tigglewink01 Date: Tuesday, 22-Aug-17, 9:14 PM | Message # 458
Rip Snorter

Now that's a picture and a half he's really cute thanks for sending me the link your an angel.

kim Date: Wednesday, 23-Aug-17, 2:41 AM | Message # 459
Bee's Knees

I'm really happy that the film is going to be out there at least in TIFF. I am hopeful also that we will get to see it before 2018.

tigglewink01 Date: Wednesday, 23-Aug-17, 4:54 AM | Message # 460
Rip Snorter

I hope so too I also like your profile picture Kim he's very cute in that one.

Tassie Date: Wednesday, 23-Aug-17, 4:12 PM | Message # 461
Bee's Knees

Thanks for this DSP-what a lovely write up. I particularly agree with the last paragraph. Hope the film is received well, and Simon gets the plaudits he so richly deserves.

tigglewink01 Date: Wednesday, 23-Aug-17, 5:55 PM | Message # 462
Rip Snorter

Hear Hear I agree with you

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 24-Aug-17, 11:30 AM | Message # 463
Fair Dinkum

Interview in The Jackal Magazine:

Space to breathe: Simon Baker on his directorial debut

Thanks to Sara P. (@allriggedout)

https://thejackalmagazine.com/breath-simon-baker-debut/

Words by JOHANNA DERRY

‘Identity. I think I’m probably a little bit obsessed with it.’

After a long stint playing the lead role in TV series The Mentalist, Simon Baker has been playing with his own professional identity, trying his hand as film writer and director. His film Breath is set to premier at the Toronto International Film Festival, which opens on September 7 for ten days.

‘I had a finger in lots of pies with that film,’ he says. ‘It was liberating in an artistic sense, after having worked on a show like The Mentalist for seven years. Though that programme was entertaining and far-reaching, there were limits to what I could do creatively.’

Breath is an adaptation of the novel by the same name by Booker Prize-winning author Tim Winton. It tells the story of two teenage boys who form an unlikely friendship with a older surfer and push themselves to risky behaviour.

‘Working on The Mentalist was like running a marathon – you’ve got to pace yourself, in a way. Not that making Breath was a sprint. It was more like a decathlon. There were lots of different elements to it, I got to grow, develop and flex muscles I don’t normally get to use, but that I’ve always had a desire to use.’

It’s an experience he clearly relished. ‘Normally as an actor you’re in a position of service; more so, you’re servicing someone else’s vision. With this process, as director, you’re the one shaping a lot of the vision.’

The film is set in a remote, Western Australian coastal town in the Seventies. ‘We shot it in a little town called Denmark, down near Albany, right on the southern point of Western Australia. It’s a beautiful town in a stunning environment, and that’s a big aspect of the film. The environment is a big personality.’

But the film’s main theme is Baker’s self-proclaimed obsession, identity. ‘It’s a coming of age film, but the primary thing is identity. It’s about trying to define who you are and how you should be with others,’ he explains. ‘Everyone’s trying to work it out. It’s a natural human thing to try and understand who you are as a person in relation to your parents, your peers, your mentors and so on. And I think it’s a big thing in the world at the moment.’

Another of Baker’s ‘identities’ is as an ambassador with watch brand Longines for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, being held on the opposite side of Australia, on the Gold Coast.

‘It’s an honour to be part of it, in any way,’ he says. ‘It’s a very positive event, which brings people together, inspires people, and celebrates the idea of sport and humanity at a time when we really need to celebrate humanity as much as we possibly can.’

Baker, of course, isn’t donning lycra to compete. Nevertheless, his wrist does boast a sporty Longines Conquest. ‘It has a 1/100 seconds counter which makes it more precise as a stopwatch,’ he points out. ‘I’m often that guy who goes on the way a watch looks, but the Conquest and Conquest Classic are what I like to wear.’

After this stop in London for the Commonwealth Games’ Queen’s Baton Relay, Baker’s heading off to Toronto for the premier of Breath, where he’ll wait to hear the verdict of his peers on his work.

‘I’m really privileged that the film’s now going to be played in front of an audience,’ he says, demurely. ‘I just feel really lucky to have had this experience.’

With The Mentalist finished and his film done and dusted, we watch to see what Baker does next. Whichever hat he’s wearing – actor, writer, director, ambassador –there’s sure to be more that’s interesting from him yet.

••••••

Big format of Simon's black and white photo:

tigglewink01 Date: Thursday, 24-Aug-17, 11:53 AM | Message # 464
Rip Snorter

Wow thanks for that I wish him all the best and that the film will shine.

Peithon Date: Thursday, 24-Aug-17, 5:25 PM | Message # 465
Rip Snorter

http://www.blogto.com/film/2017/08/must-see-films-tiff-toronto-2017/

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz