The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
tigglewink01 Date: Saturday, 12-May-18, 8:49 AM | Message # 856
Rip Snorter

Thanks for the link they all work well together I cannot wait to see it either. Thanks DSP for the link

bee Date: Saturday, 12-May-18, 5:46 PM | Message # 857
Fair Dinkum

Thanks DSP. The trailer looks great.

tigglewink01 Date: Saturday, 12-May-18, 11:05 PM | Message # 858
Rip Snorter

Hi Everyone I have just watched a trailer for an advert that Simon did for Samsung its very good and he's in every clip its on Ytube if you want to see it is was very good.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 14-May-18, 12:00 PM | Message # 859
Fair Dinkum

BO Report: ‘Breath’ powers through its second weekend
14 May, 2018 by Don Groves
https://www.if.com.au/bo-repo....twitter

"Surfing along on word-of-mouth, Simon Baker’s Breath maintained momentum in its second weekend, easily beating new releases Tully, Chappaquiddick and Crooked House.
[…]
Released by Roadshow, Breath raked in $727,000 on 242 screens, falling by 27 per cent. The coming-of-age drama adapted from the Tim Winton novel has generated $2.4 million, already the second-highest Australian grosser this year behind Peter Rabbit.

“Breath is generating great word-of-mouth and holding particularly well in upmarket locations and several regionals sites,” Wallis Cinemas programming manager Sasha Close tells IF.

The drop-off at Cinema Nova was less than 10 per cent and general manager Kristian Connelly expects the film starring newcomers Samson Coulter and Ben Spence together with Baker, Elizabeth Debicki and Richard Roxburgh to play for many months."

tigglewink01 Date: Monday, 14-May-18, 8:55 PM | Message # 860
Rip Snorter

I hope it does go on Simon you have my support in anything. I just cannot wait until I'm able to watch even if its only on DVD I certainly be buying a copy when I can.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 21-May-18, 9:38 AM | Message # 861
Fair Dinkum

On twitter: Emma Metcalf @EmmaKateMetcalf - May 21th

Simon Baker’s directorial debut, @breathfilm, is the quintessential coming of age story, told in such a beautiful way. Inspiring nostalgia & increasing my desire to not be a kook (getting there!). Congrats cast & crew! Wonderful story & cinematography.

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 21-May-18, 2:36 PM | Message # 862
Bee's Knees

Nice photo. Thanks, DSP.

tigglewink01 Date: Monday, 21-May-18, 5:53 PM | Message # 863
Rip Snorter

Nice pic DSP but not a very flattering one he looks realy old in that one. Hee Hee! I should talk he's 8 years younger than me.

bee Date: Tuesday, 22-May-18, 5:26 AM | Message # 864
Fair Dinkum

Nice photo thanks DSP, it's also Simon's new profile pic on instagram.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 22-May-18, 12:31 PM | Message # 865
Fair Dinkum

Breath film review:
a spiritual surfer movie that drips with authenticity

BY Blake Howard CRITIC
Reviews | 03 May 18

https://www.flicks.com.au/blog....nticity

Simon Baker (from T.V’s The Mentalist and L.A. Confidential) charges into the director’s chair with dramatic intensity and confidence,
adapting Tim Winton 70s coming of age novel Breath. Set in an isolated coastal town in Australia, two ‘grommets’ (novice surfers) Pikelet
(Samson Coulter) and Loonie (Ben Spence) are drawn to the waves. As they embrace the chase and challenge a mysterious, battle-hardened,
big wave master Sando (Baker) takes them under his wing and pushes them beyond their limits.

If you’ve read Tim Winton, you’d agree that his prose has the power to impart that implacable allure and experience of the elements.
Baker and underwater cinematographer Rick Rifici render the flow of being on the water, with a swell of any size, with such energy that
you get the charge of being there. Baker, Coulter and Spence are all clearly on the water, catching waves. If they’re not then Baker’s time
on The Mentalist has granted him the command of CGI laced with dark magic.

Breath is not merely concerned with adrenaline rush; there’s a deeply spiritual practice wrapped in neoprene that glides gracefully across
moving water on fibreglass. The script (adapted by Gerard Lee and Baker from Winton’s novel) muses on this pursuit.

It might feel like a fantasy, with gruff voice over and the silence and beauty of underwater filming, but as a child of a coastal surfing
community, I can tell you that the script drips with authenticity. The deeply inferred class distinctions; the hippie surfers and the rigid,
conservative working class. The choice in many instances places for the actors to convey their characters’ emotion, rather than expound
their feelings in long monologues makes dramatic sense.

Baker delivers an unselfish performance that’s refreshingly in his native brogue. The lines in his face shade all the necessary topography
of a life lived, contrasting the face of Pikelet (Coulter), with its notable absence of lines. Samson Coulter’s performance as Pikelet is in
the school of Martin and Charlie Sheen, in Apocalypse Now and Platoon respectively. It’s crafted and restrained to withhold those impulses
that expect in scenes of heightened emotion. Occasionally you watch Coulter try on the personas of those around him; flexing who he is
from who he wants to become. Ben Spence delivers a character with great certainty and unpredictability as Loonie.

Elizabeth Debicki’s Eva is where Breath wipes out. While Debicki’s emotional performance attempts to render Eva at her wit’s end,
the actor ultimately fails to make sense of the events that surround her character in the latter part of the film. Debicki exudes something
inherently powerful in her posture and in her gaze that make her actions reek of melodramatic fantasy (which, in my research in the wake
of viewing the film, was cast at the novel).

Baker’s assured debut makes a profound impact in its portrayal of surfing as a physical and spiritual pursuit. And it makes an equally
profound misstep in Debicki’s portrayal of Eva.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 22-May-18, 12:42 PM | Message # 866
Fair Dinkum

From surfer Brock Fitzgerald (Simon's double) Instagram https://web.stagram.com/p/BjEy7vOFckq

Sick postcard from Denmark W.A. That’s me #Slipper #AngelusCrew out there in the surf on the set of @breathfilm

tigglewink01 Date: Tuesday, 22-May-18, 5:47 PM | Message # 867
Rip Snorter

What sick about it its a nice view but thanks as always for the pics and write ups and reviews.

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 25-May-18, 10:45 AM | Message # 868
Fair Dinkum

Breath (2019)
Filmtrax (25 mai 2018) | Original Score [musique originale]

https://www.cinezik.org/critiqu....twitter

Harry Gregson-Williams signe la musique du premier film de l'australien Simon Baker.

Tracklist

1. In the River (1:41)
2. Restless (1:16)
3. First Waves (2:15)
4. Styrofoam Boards (1:29)
5. Outside Sawyer Point (3:23)
6. Dancing on Water (1:33)
7. Going Home (0:54)
8. A Different Life (1:58)
9. Appointment Undisclosed (3:09)
10. Living (1:55)
11. Beneath the Surface (2:02)
12. Old Smokey (2:43)
13. "Go, Pikelet!" (2:49)
14. Loonie Did It Harder (1:28)
15. The Nautilus (3:34)
16. After the Waves (1:54)
17. The Social (1:34)
18. "You're Different" (3:35)
19. Breath (2:23)
20. "It's Not for Me" (6:58)

Purchase Link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp....k060-21

tigglewink01 Date: Friday, 25-May-18, 11:59 AM | Message # 869
Rip Snorter

Wow the music list but not the DVD boo hoo! hee hee! yet but thanks for the link I think I will go and look at that later on Amazon thanks DSP.

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 30-May-18, 10:12 AM | Message # 870
Fair Dinkum

Breath
****1/2

Reviewed by: Anne-Katrin Titze

https://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/review....n-titze

"Take a deep breath. Pick yourself up. And start all over again" sings Fred Astaire in Swing Time about the "famous men
who had to fall to rise again." Astaire didn't mean surfing but Simon Baker's beautifully subtle film adaptation, co-written with
Gerard Leeof Tim Winton's novel, is all about that deep breath following failure or disappointment.

In his feature directorial début, The Mentalist star doesn't hold back. He is hell-bent on truth and grace and tragedy and the
white-crestingjoy of being gloriously alive in the hug of an ocean wave. People who feel they have nothing to lose can make for
dangerously captivatingfriends. Death and water in the old romantic tradition swim together hand in hand.
Copy picture

The first images of Breath are as beguiling as they are bewildering. Two bodies float underwater. Two boys? A boy and a girl? A boy
and amermaid? A merman? Are they alive or drowned or deathless? Cinematography, in (by Rick Rifici) and out of the water
(Marden Dean) andthe production design by Steven Jones-Evans, locate us firmly in a time and place and together help to set the
tone, with an irresistible touchof wistfulness, that opens up our hearts to follow the tale being told.

Pikelet (Samson Coulter) and Loonie (Ben Spence) live in a small, spread out Western Australian coastal community in the 1970s.
The unspoken trade between the friends - although a lot is shared verbally with each other while they ride their bikes - is this:
I give you some of my stability, you give me a hunk of freedom. And vice versa.

Sando (Simon Baker), a surfing champion, resides in what could be described as an enchanted, slightly disheveled tree house for
grown-ups with his girlfriend Eva (Elizabeth Debicki), a former professional skier and their unwavering dog Rooster. Pikelet and Loonie
are fascinated by Sando's world, as both see in him an alternative to their respective fathers. Mr. Pike (Richard Roxburgh) likes to pot
plants, whereas Loonie's dad (Jacek Koman) has a cruel streak that puts him in an altogether more hazardous category.

"Surrender is what frees you up," Sando teaches them, while he himself, as it turns out, can only follow through with his own maxim
to a certain extent. When you live your life "like someone who didn't believe in death," a structural switch occurs. For a film so deeply
planted in the implications of the concrete - from hand-knit sweaters (the gray one by Baker's mother), to dusty trucks, to the plastic
bag tucked under the bed - Breath gives extraordinary pointers to explore abstract concepts of what it means to become a man.

The splendid costume design by Terri Lamera retains the fine balance between veracity, desire (some of the pullovers could be Elder
Statesman) and metaphor. A hole in Sando's suede jacket becomes visible to us just at the moment his young pals, definitely one
of them, discover their idol's imperfection. His sheen is cracked. The façade cannot hold. This fragile deal only functioned for a while.

Samson Coulter and Ben Spence give startling, intensely physical performances. During dinner at his friend's house, Loonie eats so
voraciously and drinks his milk with such fervour as though he wanted to absorb years of family life in one meal. He is a kid starving
for affection. Love me, take care of me, I'm dangerous, don't hurt me anymore - his body language shouts out into the world.
On the other end of the friendship is Pikelet who feels stifled by what he perceives as the blandness, staleness and conventionality
of his home.

Simon Baker's directing heart beats for authenticity. Riding bikes on dusty roads, catching waves among presupposed sharks, and
growing up to become a man - large universal truths peek out from underneath the realism in depicting the boys' lives. This is a
story of fathers and sons, friendships and betrayals, boredom and excitement, sea monsters and seduction, choosing who one
wants to be like and the very different process of becoming it.

Much is communicated by a well-placed gesture, the choice of a cup, a nap on the veranda or a fishing trip declined only to later
be accepted. Breath discerningly doesn't shy away from the tragic dimension we sense from the very first shot but for whose
confirmation we have to wait until the final die is cast.

Reviewed on: 29 May 2018

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz