The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
coral Date: Friday, 13-Mar-15, 4:25 PM | Message # 91
Cobber

If anyone wants to watch the longer version of the book trailer its posted on the 1st page of this thread.

Message edited by coral - Friday, 13-Mar-15, 4:37 PM

Tassie Date: Friday, 13-Mar-15, 5:37 PM | Message # 92
Bee's Knees

Thank you DSP for posting these videos. Found the first one really hypnotic and can't wait to find out if Simon will definitely be playing Sando in it-I just can't imagine anyone else in the part. Have just finished reading 'Eyrie' by Tim Winton and can only marvel at the way he makes everything come so alive-you can feel the heat, smell the smells, almost find yourself in the same room as the characters. With such a great writer and a great actor and director 'Breath' should be a glorious film.

kim Date: Monday, 16-Mar-15, 5:57 PM | Message # 93
Bee's Knees

Article about one of the kids that auditioned for Breath. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsloc....d4474cc

Tina Date: Tuesday, 17-Mar-15, 8:43 AM | Message # 94
Fair Dinkum

Thanks kim. Cute boy, fingers crossed they soon find what they are looking for and shootings can begin smile

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 18-Mar-15, 1:02 PM | Message # 95
Fair Dinkum

I hope they won't cast the two boys because of their good looks. I hope they'll cast the boys for their intensity, their capacitiy to show their hunger for life and thrill.

Peithon Date: Tuesday, 24-Mar-15, 7:57 PM | Message # 96
Rip Snorter

Article about See Pictures who are producing Breath
"See Pictures is also producing Tim Winton’s Breath with Simon Baker and Mark Johnson."

http://if.com.au/2015....TH.html

coral Date: Saturday, 04-Apr-15, 10:23 AM | Message # 97
Cobber

Simon said filming will start at/towards the end of the year.
From German interview posted here
http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/forum/2-191-20383-16-1427851385
and translated by tinamarianne

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 13-May-15, 4:40 AM | Message # 98
Fair Dinkum

Finally some official news!

http://variety.com/2015....1493366

‘The Mentalist’ Star Simon Baker to Make Directorial Debut (EXCLUSIVE)
MAY 12, 2015

Simon Baker, star of CBS’ “The Mentalist,” will make his debut as a movie director with dramatic thriller “Breath.” Baker will also star in the movie, which shoots in the second half of the year.

The picture is the bigscreen adaptation of the novel of the same title by celebrated Australian novelist Tim Winton. The story follows two thrill-seeking teenage boys who form an unlikely bond with a reclusive older surfer – Baker – and his mysterious wife. The script is penned by “Top of the Lake” screenwriter Gerald Lee.

“When I first read ‘Breath,’ I knew I had to somehow make the film,” said Baker. “The gathering storm of the story, detailed and intimate against the power and scope of the rugged setting, struck me as incredibly cinematic. I’m beyond excited to be back in Australia realizing this dream.”

Baker made his first steps into directing through episodes of “The Mentalist,” which he also produced. Baker also directed some episodes of TV’s “The Guardian,” which Johnson produced.

Sydney and Los Angeles-based Arclight Films is handling sales of the movie. Pic is produced by Mark Johnson, Baker and Australian producer Jamie Hilton.

“Breath” is being developed and financed with the assistance of principal investor Screen Australia. The film is also being financed with the assistance of regional film support agency ScreenWest.

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 13-May-15, 4:48 AM | Message # 99
Fair Dinkum

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a....twitter

Simon Baker to direct film Winton’s Breath
May 13, 2015

Simon Baker will make his directorial debut with a film based on Australian author Tim Winton’s best- selling novel Breath.

The former star of The Mentalist has returned home to make the film which tells the story of two thrill-seeking West Australian teenage boys who form an unlikely friendship with an older surfer.

Baker will also star in the film as Sando, the older surfer who pushes the boys to new levels of recklessness but who hides deep secrets about his life.

For Baker, the movie adaptation has been an ambition of his for a long time.

“When I first read Breath, I knew I had to somehow make the film,” Baker told Variety on Wednesday.

“The gathering storm of the story, detailed and intimate against the power and scope of the rugged setting, struck me as incredibly cinematic. I’m beyond excited to be back in Australia realising this dream.”

According to Winton, Baker acquired the rights to the story back in 2009 but was kept busy with his role on The Mentalist. The popular TV series, in which Baker played psychic Patrick Jane, wrapped in February after seven seasons.

Casting for young surfers to appear in Breath began in February.

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 13-May-15, 6:01 AM | Message # 100
Fair Dinkum

http://hushhushbiz.com/actor-s....-breath

ACTOR SIMON BAKER HEADS HOME TO FILM TIM WINTON’S :BREATH

Simon Baker back in Australia to make Tim Winton’s Breath

Screen Australia announces latest Production funding round

Screen Australia will invest $13.4 million in 12 new feature film and television projects which will instigate production to the value of $64.3 million. This round will see Simon Baker (The Mentalist, Margin Call) return to Australia to make his directorial feature film debut. Baker will reimagine and star in the screen adaptation of Tim Winton’s bestselling novel, Breath.

Making the announcement from Cannes, France, Simon Baker said, “When I first read Breath, I knew I had to somehow make the film. The gathering storm of the story, detailed and intimate against the power and scope of the rugged setting, struck me as incredibly cinematic. I’m beyond excited to be back in Australia realising this dream.”

Baker has been living and working in Los Angeles for 18 years, and is known most recently for his starring role in The Mentalist. From 2009 to 2014, Baker directed numerous episodes of The Mentalist and was also a producer on the show. Baker’s many film roles have seen him work with the likes of Ang Lee, Martin Scorsese and George Romero.

Award-winning author Tim Winton is notorious for his remarkable ability to tell exhilarating stories with courage. The screen version of the well-known Australian novel will bring to life teenagers, Pikelet and Loonie, hungry for discovery, who form an unlikely bond with a reclusive surfer and his mysterious wife. The film will transport audiences back to coastal Australian life in the 1970s.

See Pictures and Gran Via Productions will team up with Baker, who will also produce the film. Hollywood luminary and Oscar® and Emmy® Award–winning producer Mark Johnson (Breaking Bad, The Notebook, Rain Man) and Jamie Hilton (Backtrack, The Little Death, The Waiting City) will also produce. Top of the Lake writer, Gerard Lee, will adapt the script for screen. Arclight Films will run international sales.

Screen Australia’s Head of Production, Sally Caplan, said, “It is exciting to announce this round out of Cannes, where there is a huge market response to Simon. It is especially gratifying that he is choosing to come back home to make this symbolic Australian story. We are equally delighted to support an excellent and diverse range of films from new and proven directors and more impressive stories for the small screen for both adult and younger audiences.”

BREATH
See Pictures Pty Ltd, Gran Via Productions, Breath Productions Pty Ltd
Producers Mark Johnson, Simon Baker, Jamie Hilton
Director Simon Baker
Writer Gerard Lee
Australian Distributor Palace Films
International Sales Arclight Films
Synopsis Based on Tim Winton’s award-winning novel set in mid-70s coastal Australia. Two teenage boys, hungry for discovery, form an unlikely bond with a reclusive surfer and his mysterious wife. The boys are driven to take risks that will have a profound and lasting impact on their lives.

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 13-May-15, 6:03 AM | Message # 101
Fair Dinkum

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/enterta....News%29

Simon Baker stepping behind the lens in his directorial debut to bring Tim Winton’s Breath to the big screen

The Mentalist star will shoot Breath, the big screen adaptation of Tim Winton’s best-selling novel, in Australia later this year.

Making the announcement from the Cannes Film Festival, Baker said: “When I first read Breath, I knew I had to somehow make the film. The gathering storm of the story, detailed and intimate against the power and scope of the rugged setting, struck me as incredibly cinematic. I’m beyond excited to be back in Australia realising this dream.”

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 13-May-15, 7:42 AM | Message # 102
Rip Snorter

Great news!! Thanks Ivana, for posting it here smile

bee Date: Wednesday, 13-May-15, 7:45 AM | Message # 103
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for the updates Ivana, I think us fans are just as excited as Simon about Breath. It's been a long wait! I feel like

Fran Date: Sunday, 17-May-15, 10:22 AM | Message # 104
Fair Dinkum

As posted in another thread:

Simon Baker talks directorial debut, Breath
Fresh from the completion of the Mentalist television series, Simon Baker has made a swift stop-over in Cannes to discuss his next big feat - the directorial debut of Breath.

Currently in pre-production, the film is based on Australian writer Tim Winton’s book of the same name that chronicles the lives of two teenage thrill-seeking boys who form an unlikely bond with reclusive older surfer (Baker) and his mysterious wife.
Referring to it as a coming-of-age story that intertwines the complexities of being a parent - Baker gives credence to having two teen-age sons and a 21-year-old daughter as the best research for the project. He says, “There is a fine line between being a parent and a friend, and it is these subtleties that I want to focus on.”

The actor also credits Winton’s novel as a driving force for pushing him to finally taking the director reins - something he has wanted to do since starting off in the entertainment industry. Using Winton’s accurate descriptions of life growing up in Oz to the subtleties in detailing adolescent growing pains, he envisions a film that is “nimble, fluid in style and having a natural feel with the use of non-actors.”

“It’s been an incredible experience auditioning actors from all around Australia. We’ve placed ads on social media, and it’s been amazing what kind of response there’s been. There is such raw talent out there, and we’re excited to tap into that.”

Previously, he has directed episodes for television series The Guardian, that he starred in from 2002-2005, and several episodes for The Mentalist, helping to give him an understanding of how the collaboration process works. But nothing, he says, compares to working on an independently financed film from start to finish.

“Working in television has been like film school to me. For each of the episodes I directed for The Mentalist, I always tried to do something different. And working as one of the show’s producers, I involved myself as much as I could in the overall production process - particularly the sound and editing side.”

While he also credits himself as a recreational film-maker and photographer - spending hours in self-built dark rooms or splicing together super 8 films with VHS tapes - he admits however that “working on the financing and early production stages of a film is all-consuming, and like nothing I’ve ever done before.

“It’s a challenge I’m eagerly stepping up to, but certainly not as simple as being given a script and then acting it out.”
The film has been financed through Screen Australia, Screen West and Arclight, and has an estimated production start date for autumn of this year.

http://www.screendaily.com/home....article

Fran Date: Sunday, 17-May-15, 10:22 AM | Message # 105
Fair Dinkum

Simon confirms that he'll play Sando, in the Allocine video interview where he says:

"It takes place in Western Australia, in a coastal town in the mid 70s. And it follows 2 teenage boys who are hungry for adventure and wanting to expand their horizons. And they form an unlikely friendship with this reclusive older surfer character - which is the role that I'll play, which is not the main role - and his mysterious wife. And they encourage these kids to take more and more risks, and the kids are pretty much driven to make decisions that have profound impacts on their lives later on."

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz