Thursday, 16-May-24, 3:19 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1 (to 28 February 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1
Fran Date: Friday, 05-Jul-13, 10:17 AM | Message # 991
Fair Dinkum

Thanks tina, I suppose its just meant to be an amusing little gossipy article, but its nice to see Simon finding his way into German magazines.

Mossibecca Date: Friday, 05-Jul-13, 1:37 PM | Message # 992
Bee's Knees

Thanks tina...at least he MAKES into German mags......he doesn't seem to exist here in England!! sad

Evy Date: Friday, 05-Jul-13, 6:13 PM | Message # 993
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Tina ! happy to notice that they speak about Simon in Germany !!! up

Tina Date: Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 9:03 AM | Message # 994
Fair Dinkum

Well, they hardly ever speak about him in Germany, but at least there are a few articles every now and then.
But you have to look hard to find one ! It's not like in Fance where he gets the attention he deserves. But all in all the Germany press is not too
interested in actors from the famous tv shows from the USA. It's more about Clooney, Pitt etc.

Message edited by tinamarianne - Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 9:04 AM

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 10:36 AM | Message # 995
Fair Dinkum

He is quite popular in Spain and Italy too, it seems.

I'd wondered why Baker is so appreciated in France…
Maybe Simon is right telling it may be the impertinence and cockiness of his character on screen that particularly seduces us French… happy

And the huge difference between US and european Simon's fans is the age, as Robin pointed in a recent interview in Monte-Carlo: here there's abundance of 14 - 20 years old fans (just check the timeline on twitter!), mostly young girls but boys too. Average Mentalist fans is much older across the pond. Wonder why?

Another thing I noticed, I think Simon Baker as an actor doesn't really look or act like the american actor type, I mean his character or persona looks more european than "yankee" (wich is quite normal for he's not a US native, even though most people think he is).
Could it be another reason for Simon Baker attractiveness to the audience here?

Peithon Date: Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 12:42 PM | Message # 996
Rip Snorter

The character driving a French car means a lot to the audience in France. They wanted SImon to drive an American car on the show, a Chevy Malibu to be specific, but he wanted the Citroen. He remarked Patrick Jane would never drive a Malibu. In the pilot script it's a BMW. And yes, Simon does not behave like an American actor, he definitely has a worldly quality, a man well-travelled and well-spoken. If the show was more action oriented, violent and Simon took off his shirt and dealt more with the bizarre it would be more popular among the young in the US. But then it wouldn't be our show. In the US procedurals do tend to skew old and this show, like Patrick Jane, is vintage. 10 pm timeslot doesn't help the demo, nor does the lead in.

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 3:08 PM | Message # 997
Fair Dinkum

yes, I knew about the car, and Simon choosing a DS.

Quote (Peithon)
If the show was more action oriented, violent and Simon took off his shirt and dealt more with the bizarre it would be more popular among the young in the US. But then it wouldn't be our show. In the US procedurals do tend to skew old and this show, like Patrick Jane, is vintage. 10 pm timeslot doesn't help the demo, nor does the lead in.

All very valid points Peithon.
The Mentalist has more the flavour of a british TV show than an american one to me.

Juney Date: Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 4:55 PM | Message # 998
Bee's Knees

Quote (DS_Pallas)
The Mentalist has more the flavour of a british TV show than an american one to me.

But he still doesn't get much coverage here, I really don't know why not. sad

June Date: Saturday, 06-Jul-13, 11:54 PM | Message # 999
Bee's Knees

Quote (DS_Pallas)
He is quite popular in Spain and Italy too, it seems.

Well I'm Spanish and I think that, in Spain, Simon is not as popular as it deserves. The Mentalist is one of the most watched series but I miss news about Simon in magazines, on tv, like in France.

I've always thought that The Mentalist has more an European style than American, in all the aspects. Bruno said that the fact he was English and Simon Australian influenced in the series. It's totally different to any other american TV show like CSI, Bones, NCIS, and I love because of that. I identify more with the way it's told.

AgentM Date: Sunday, 07-Jul-13, 11:55 AM | Message # 1000
Bee's Knees

Quote (Peithon)
and Simon took off his shirt

Sorry Peithon, you lost me after this!.... tongue LOL.

It's been mentioned that Simon looks more European than American....I put this down to the fact that he comes from Tasmania ( a penal colony) where many of the inhabitant can be traced back to the criminals that we (The British Isles) sent that way centuries ago. Lots of them came from Scotland, and I believe Simon has very Celtic looks - maybe his family could be traced back to Scotland? Who knows? And Baker is a name common to those times.

I also think the French love him because of the sheer amount of physical and facial gestures....they are a very passionate culture and communicate in a similar way...that, and the car...and the fact that it seems Patrick makes it a mission to say at least one thing in French in most episodes ("Voila! Bon Point! etc. etc etc.!) Although I think that has increased since The Mentalist became so very popular in France. wink

I just think it is unfair of the British press to deny us information and articles on such an intelligent, intriguing and talented man...they must think we're all so stupid that we can only cope with gossip articles about the trashiest untalented idiots that seem to have taken over TV schedules in these 'so-called' reality shows....it's all fake and contrived!!! I couldn't care less if some airhead has got a new tattoo and is willing to blab about their ex's ex!!!! Grrrrrrrr! angry

Peithon Date: Sunday, 07-Jul-13, 2:34 PM | Message # 1001
Rip Snorter

He rarely makes the news in the USA either, except for the stellar first year of the series. But he is shy, a bit of a homebody and he very intentionally avoids doing the kind of things that make headlines. Normal doesn't sell papers here. Didn't someone say that in an early interview he said his mother's family came from the Netherlands? I do remember reading his father's family had been in Tasmania forever. Now speaking from a purely historical standpoint I will say Simon looks a bit like Alexander The Great -he most definitely sports the famous tawny anastole, the right height, the charisma, the leonine grace and the eyes that appeared to be different colors. Funny he said that if he were an animal he would be a lion (which factors heavily in the trappings of this king) and wrote down his favorite not so famous place to visit was the Greek Isles when he did the bit with Luke Jeremy on the DVD.

Message edited by Peithon - Sunday, 07-Jul-13, 2:47 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 07-Jul-13, 4:25 PM | Message # 1002
Fair Dinkum

Ah ah you're a rome-antique Peithon! (sorry for the bad pun)

If I remember well, Alexander is said to have had wall-eyes (one blue, the other brown). And was bisexual (but it was common behaviour at his time adn place). Don't know about Simon though… happy

Fran Date: Tuesday, 09-Jul-13, 9:20 AM | Message # 1003
Fair Dinkum

8th July - Simon commentating at 2013 Skullcandy Oz Grom Open Surfing Competition at Lennox Head 4th-9th July, in association with Le-Ba Boardriders (Simon's surf club).

Source: http://instagram.com/p/bfSAa7G7UE/#
"Filming/producing the first ever live streamed U20s surf event. And yes Simon Baker is commentating #thementalist"

Info, photos & videos here, but don't think there's anything with Simon: http://www.skullcandyozgromopen.com.au/

Fran Date: Tuesday, 09-Jul-13, 10:11 AM | Message # 1004
Fair Dinkum

Photos of Simon at the event:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=554427304614012

Source: http://instagram.com/p/biGHFcvNfv/#

bee Date: Tuesday, 09-Jul-13, 11:28 AM | Message # 1005
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Fran, watching the various videos of the surfers at the event it looks hard work but very exhilarating! Seeing the youngsters surfing I can easily imagine how Simon's love of surfing grew from a young age!

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1 (to 28 February 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz