Saturday, 18-May-24, 8:00 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1 (to 28 February 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1
258pce Date: Saturday, 21-Dec-13, 7:44 AM | Message # 1261
Cobber

Don't have time to search the archives right now, so this is probably not new. I picked it up from sleepylover215 on twitter and thought it was worth reposting here because it is such a nice article:

http://old.post-gazette.com/tv/20030102baker5.asp

TV Note: 'Guardian's' Simon Baker refocuses anger of youth into busy career

Thursday, January 02, 2003

By Luaine Lee, Scripps Howard News Service

He was an angry young man who grew up in the countryside in the north of Australia. Now Simon Baker makes that unrest pay off as the truculent Nick Fallin on CBS's "The Guardian."

"My teenage years, I had a hard time," he says, shrugging, as he plops onto the grass beside his trailer. This day, "The Guardian" is being filmed on location, in a cemetery in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley. Baker, 33, is on a break and is almost unrecognizable in a dingy white T-shirt and baggy shorts -- a far cry from the lawyerly suits and ties of the show.

"Stuff was going on at home and at school, and stuff was going on inside of me," he explains. "I was growing. I think that everyone has a hard time. Looking back now, I think that was probably the hardest part for me at that time."

Baker tries to corral his rambunctious puppy on his lap. The puppy is teething, and every now and then he tries to gnaw Baker's hand, for which he is summarily whacked across the nose.

A lifetime surfer who grew up at the beach, Baker says his childhood had its "ups and downs."

"I always had a sunny disposition, but that was kind of to protect me. I was religious when I was younger. I was Catholic, raised Catholic. I had certain issues about that. I consciously lapsed. I made a conscious decision to avoid it. I'm agnostic. I'm not saying I don't have faith; I absolutely have faith but don't necessarily have faith in God. I have faith in humanity."

That faith was validated when he met his wife, former Australian child actress Rebecca Rigg. "It was like a wake-up call," he recalls, handing the dog a rubber bone. "It reflected well on me; it made me realize I had to snap back [he snaps his fingers] and become present again.

"Certain things happen in people's life and they tend to become absent, they choose to be absent because they don't want to deal with certain things, and it's easiest. She was just someone who didn't allow me to do that and forced me to wake up."

The wake-up call persuaded Baker to pursue his dream of acting. "Before I even tried to be an actor, I did everything. I was a bricklayer, a brick laborer, not even a bricklayer -- someone who just mixed up the cement. I sold time-share. I worked at washing dishes. I mowed lawns, worked in pubs for years."

A variety of odd jobs "gives you a good, rounded look at life. Really, what are we trying to do? As actors we're trying to embody real people, create, fill out what is just words on a page, create a real character and a real person in all the different dimensions we have as people. We have so many dimensions as people we're not even aware of them. You're just trying to fill that out a bit," he says.

"I think it's good for anyone to experience different walks of life and different, varied and contrasting experiences. I love to go to a pub and have a few beers with people I've never met before and chat. I also like to get into a limousine and go to a flashy premiere. It's still fun."

When Baker decided to try his luck in Hollywood, he didn't have much going for him. "I hadn't even done a film in Australia. I'd done television and TV movies, short films, theater, but I wasn't a big hotshot movie star in Australia. I didn't have a feature film when I came here, so I didn't have this attitude of coming from being a big fish in a small sea. I just came in like anyone would come in off the bus, except I'd worked for five or six years as an actor professionally and made a living."

The move was not about striking it rich, but about exploring new frontiers, he adds.

His very first part was in Curtis Hanson's hit film "L.A. Confidential," which, coincidentally, starred two other actors from Down Under, Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce.

Now the father of three -- a girl and two boys, ages 9, 3 and 14 months -- Baker has gone from Australian country boy to lead television actor. With roles in movies such as "Affair of the Necklace," "Red Planet" and "Ride with the Devil," and his memorable take on "The Guardian," he also has managed to remain grounded.

"It's work, but it's also life. It's rich, full. This kind of job can be so self-involved," he says, shaking his head.

"Keep yourself occupied, and I think it's important to keep in perspective what we're all about. What are we here for? Are we here to enjoy our lives or are we here to be successful? It's important to keep it in perspective."

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Saturday, 21-Dec-13, 12:46 PM | Message # 1262
True Blue

Thank you 258pce!
You are right, it's a nice one and I didn't know it. smile

Ivana Date: Saturday, 28-Dec-13, 7:01 PM | Message # 1263
Fair Dinkum

Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Christian Bale, Simon Baker, more talk about doing the right thing.
Hollywood stars inspire
http://entertainment.inquirer.net/127347/hollywood-stars-inspire

Ivana Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 12:57 PM | Message # 1264
Fair Dinkum

New article from TV Week, scans are here
http://pinkishk1ss.tumblr.com/post....-bought

Fran Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 1:35 PM | Message # 1265
Fair Dinkum

Quote DS_Pallas ()
From twitter: ‏@pinkishk1ss
Simon in Bondi Beach 18/12/2013 approx 5.50pm. He was teaching Claude and Harry Baker how to surf

Comments from @MISSCRAZY91 who is the person in the photo with Simon:
I met Simon Baker and had a little chat with him. He was really patient, lol, I was shaking so much I had difficulties to take the pic. After I ran after him, I said "I'm sorry to bother you but would you mind taking a picture with me?" He said ok and then he was like "did you run on the rocks? Did you hurt yourself ?" I said "no”. Also I kept apologising , he was like "it's ok don't be sorry", he asked me if I was there for holidays and if I was French. I said: "how do you know?" He said it was because of my accent.
(Photo source: https://twitter.com/pinkishk1ss/status/413316991056113664/photo/1)

Ivana Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 2:07 PM | Message # 1266
Fair Dinkum

Fran, you are back! smile We missed you

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 2:15 PM | Message # 1267
Bee's Knees

Nice to hear from you, Fran. I hope you are enjoying the holidays.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 2:52 PM | Message # 1268
Fair Dinkum

Simon Baker is on the cover (with other various movie and tv stars) of a french TV mag (Télé 2 Semaines). Inside, there's a little article entitled "The presents you should not give them"
(source : The Mentalist Frenchboard, don't know if page access is ok to non-members of that forum)
http://the-mentalist.hypnoweb.net/web-ail....48.3881

Nothing very interesting but this little bit is nice: They ask some celebrities what they really don't want as Xmas or Holidays presents

Simon Baker: Accessories related to surfing. Every year people tend to offer me dry-suits, wax, boards etc. At the rate things are going, I might have more stock in my garage than a shop specializing in board sports…

Naomi Watts: Everything related to household appliances. A pyrolysis oven, a blender, stuff like that. Everything that is done to enslave us women!

Tina Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 3:47 PM | Message # 1269
Fair Dinkum

There are 3 photos of Simon in the new Longines catalogue. Last year it was only one. Found the catalogue again
here in town in North Germany where I spent a few days. They sometimes have it in front of their store and I was
so happy when I saw it's another one like last time.

Tassie Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 7:35 PM | Message # 1270
Bee's Knees

My daughter got me a copy of this catalogue from a stand outside a jewellers in Edinburgh-it was my best Christmas present.

Evy Date: Monday, 30-Dec-13, 10:12 PM | Message # 1271
Fair Dinkum

You can ask for a catalogue on Longines Website (tab at the top right : catalogue request)
And you receive a copy at home (I did !)

Message edited by Evy - Monday, 30-Dec-13, 11:11 PM

Fran Date: Tuesday, 31-Dec-13, 0:49 AM | Message # 1272
Fair Dinkum

Aus TVWeek January 2014

Transcript: http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/load/2014_january_aus_tvweek/1-1-0-224

source:
https://twitter.com/pinkishk1ss/status/417574420698238976/photo/1 https://twitter.com/pinkishk1ss/status/417574872944881665/photo/1
https://twitter.com/pinkishk1ss/status/417575588816093184/photo/1 https://twitter.com/pinkishk1ss/status/417577458225782784/photo/1

Thrill Date: Tuesday, 31-Dec-13, 1:58 AM | Message # 1273
Dinkie-Di

Thanks Fran - I'm on my way out this morning to get some copies...... If anyone wants an actual copy of the Mag please PM me with your postal address and I'll send it to you.......

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 31-Dec-13, 7:07 PM | Message # 1274
Fair Dinkum

Thanks fran for posting this!
He's always slightly self-deprecating in interviews. Boring… Come on, Simon! happy

Mossibecca Date: Tuesday, 31-Dec-13, 8:41 PM | Message # 1275
Bee's Knees

Thanks for posting this Fran, and Thanks for the offer Thrill, that is very kind

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1 (to 28 February 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz