Saturday, 04-May-24, 2:06 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 08 Red Sails in the Sunset (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
08 Red Sails in the Sunset
Fran Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 9:55 PM | Message # 16
Fair Dinkum

Wow, Simon’s episodes certainly stand out from the crowd. This one felt like a Hitchcock movie, completely intentional I think - I particularly loved the opening sequence with Jane running to the theatre. And correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this the only time the team haven’t had a murder case of the week to solve.

I loved the tense feel of it and the contrast of that tension with the beautiful and almost peaceful moments – some lovely changes of pace. I particularly liked the phone call to Lisbon from the Motel – although to cover his (and her) back, Jane was saying he’d been abducted, he seemed to me to be saying it in such a way that he knew Lisbon would realise it wasn’t true. And I think she realised then that it was one of his plays, because she didn’t seem to be worrying about him as an abducted victim.

How adorable to include his boys - Harry cute as ever playing his beloved football, and quite a featured role for Claude, the only laugh of the whole episode, and I thought it was hilarious. Beautifully observed too, I’ve had kids do that to me, just staring at me weirdly, often from the back of cars, and I always pull a face at them which usually makes them look away.

I really don’t know what to think about Jane and Lorelei’s feelings for eachother. I had been convinced that they were just playing eachother, but this episode sowed seeds of doubt in my mind. There was definitely a little smile on Jane’s face when Lorelei snuggled into him on the beach, but was that just because he felt that he was winning the battle of minds. Then, there were times when I seriously doubted Jane’s ability to turn her, because she seemed to have the upper hand, but I suppose he’s realised from the start that she’s more a victim who’s been preyed on rather than inherently evil, and so he was just biding his time waiting for the root cause of her problems to be revealed.

Personally, I don’t think we can assume Lorelei was present when RJ and Jane met, because a handshake could have been assumed by Lorelei or RJ could have told her. I also think we haven’t necessarily seen the handshake, but I’m feeling confident now that we have seen RJ, although whether or not he’s someone who’s made a significant appearance, I still have no clue.

lenacr Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 10:38 PM | Message # 17
Dinkie-Di

Absolutely marvellous!!!! One of the best episodes ever! Just watched it and I definitely want to watch it again, later tonight!!!
So, Roy Tagliafero or the idea of him is back!
Jane has shaken hands with RJ / Roy!!!!
And Lorelei is a victim after all!... And I expect, in the end, she'll help towards finding Red John and get exonerated in a way, but I don't see her living a long and happy life, I am afraid.
We'll see...
Atmospheric directing, wonderful locations, exciting, dramatic and emotional story, a mystery that deepens by the minute, beautiful music, superb acting, and Simon ... what else would one wish from a TV episode!!!!

And I see that Simon's children were really in the episode!! How wonderful!! I thought so and told my son who was watching the episode with me, but wasn't sure!!!
There was a Heller (Randee) in the credits. Does anybody know whether he is a relation of Bruno Heller?

Message edited by lenacr - Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 8:44 PM

kul65 Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 0:30 AM | Message # 18
Cobber

http://s9.postimage.org/4gt590f3h/vlcsnap_2012_11_19_23h08m25s122.png
http://s9.postimage.org/kt36yqtf1/vlcsnap_2012_11_19_23h09m27s237.png
http://s9.postimage.org/zdk9tkodp/vlcsnap_2012_11_19_23h10m38s194.png
http://s9.postimage.org/u3fb2a44t/vlcsnap_2012_11_19_23h16m08s170.png

I'm collecting handshakes. Anybody care to join in?

Now, I know the quote may not be meant to be taken literally. Could just be the "met" part that matters. Not to mention there are quite a few people where we didn't witness the first meeting (Brett Partridge, "CBI Ron", somebody mentioned Mashburn...)

Peithon Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 2:44 AM | Message # 19
Rip Snorter

I do believe Jane has actually shaken hands with RJ on the show. Just the kind of thing RJ would brag about to Lorelai.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 2:52 AM | Message # 20
Bee's Knees

Apparently editor Jimmy Gadd opened a thread on Reddit about the hand shakes. But I have no idea how Reddit works, so take it as you will http://www.reddit.com/r...._shakes

I'm assuming too that Lorelei wasn't present but that RJ told her he'd met Jane. And damn I wanted it to be Volker but I don't think Jane even met the man let alone shook hands. Ditto on Kirkland, they bumped into each other. I still don't rule Volker out as being one of the friends, possibly the one with lots of money and power. As I think Red John is many though there's a ring leader, the one Lorelei knows and the one who killed Jane's family.

lenacr Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 9:52 AM | Message # 21
Dinkie-Di

Kirkland is in, Justlook3.
He initiated a handshake with Jane in 5.7, following the bumping onto each other - I just checked.
And this is the dialogue: J: Do I know you?' K: 'No, but I know you!'

The handshake is in Kul65's images. Thanks Kul65!

Message edited by lenacr - Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 9:54 AM

Tina Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 9:53 AM | Message # 22
Fair Dinkum

Simon is just even better than the other directors. Last year's episode and this one are just so special and different to the others. He has a different directing style. I recognized Claude right away, well first I thought "a completely familiar face! Hey, that's Claude". With Harry I went back and checked because I wasn't sure, it was too short.
All in all a wonderful episode, and I was so happy to see Jane almost the whole episode just in shirt and west. I just love that outfit so much on Simon and we hardly ever get to see it anymore.
I can't get my mind off the new details ..I wonder if he shook RJs hand while we were there or before he came to the CBI. But I don't want to know who RJ is for years. I just want to keep PJ for much longer! I know chances are we get a 6th maybe a 7th season, and I fear that after the 7th it's over. I just can't imagine to see no more new TM episodes. All the mystery, the fun, it's just the best series for me.

Arjay Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 10:31 AM | Message # 23
Blow-In

This episode was a real nail biter! Simon really knows how to create tension. I hope he gets to direct himself in lots of movies in years to come after the show ends. And what a treat to see Claude and Harry. This season just gets better each week.

Lena Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 3:47 PM | Message # 24
Dinkie-Di

Excellent episode, Simon is perfect both as an actor and as a director, showing a Jane even more obsessed and willing to do anything to find Red John.
Loved the whole episode from the beginning when Jane running at the cinema to the end with a Jane's creepy smile who felt that was worth it to do what he did for having had an information on Red John.
In more than one situation Lorelei could have run away and seems that Jane tries Lorelei so when he went to the supermaket he left the key in the car and at the beach he left her alone to sleep in the car and I think that Jane smiled when she lay down next to him because he realized that she was beginning to trust in him.
He also tried to keep her under control, keeping away from the radio or television.
I can't yet understand what kind of relationship there is between them, but I think that Jane cunningly let her go because he knows that when she will return will be able to help him.
The things that Lorelei said to Jane reminded me the same who Rebecca, the Bosco's secretary, said to Jane, that he is similar to Red John because both are able to reading into people and that the death is a gift to see the world for what it really is.
It was nice to see Claude and Harry in this episode, the scene with Claude was very funny and both are very cute kids.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 5:54 PM | Message # 25
Bee's Knees

Thanks Lena, I went back and watched. It was so odd because why would you shake hands and not introduce yourself? I don't know. If Red John is Kirkland then he's the best actor in the world. Because he's nervous, odd and speaks strangely. All things that do not equal the charismatic Red John who has devoted followers who go to their deaths for him. I'm not quite buying Kirkland because they're pushing him like he is Red John and we all know what happened the last time someone was supposedly Red John! dry
So do we imagine that Jane's trying to make a list of everyone he's ever met?

lenacr Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 6:31 PM | Message # 26
Dinkie-Di

I think you are right Justlook3 re: Kirkland. Maybe too obvious for him to be RJ, plus the other things you mention; but he could be an RJ disciple ... yet another one.
And there is always the chance that he fakes his weaknesses!...

Message edited by lenacr - Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 9:11 PM

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 6:57 PM | Message # 27
True Blue

I don´t really think Kirkland is RJ because I think they must know eachother much longer and met some time ago.
Thinking about Ardiles as a Maybe...they definitly didn´t get friends.

June Date: Tuesday, 20-Nov-12, 8:02 PM | Message # 28
Bee's Knees

I don't know who can be Red John (in my mind, could be anyone right now) but I know this season is giving me all that I need, from the first to the last episode, so far. I have to watch it again because it's so extraordinary! I love the opening scene too, Jane running in slow motion without knowing where he was going. Music, direction, perfect; the car-crash took my breath away, Lorelei's drama (am I starting to feel sorry for her?), all the scenes on the beach, sweet how she put the blanket on him and his smile of relief,... Cerone is the best writer who has the series in my opinion, I expect his episodes like a gift.

Sad this episode had a little audience because of the football, dammit CBS!

Thrill Date: Thursday, 22-Nov-12, 5:30 PM | Message # 29
Dinkie-Di

I think Kirkland is a - I was going to say red herring - I mean a distraction. I think the whole Homeland security angle creates an extra dimension and can explain some unorthodox behaviour. I still go for Brett Stiles as RJ - he has the power and charisma has large numbers of followers and can brain wash people. Did you notice that loreli's step father looks like him....
The whole PJ Loreli relationship is getting interesting - the way he let her go and gave her so many opportunities to run off - saying I trust you by his actions. Emmanuelle is certainly showing many facets to her acting skills and loreli becomes more dimensional. Although PJ has said to Lisbon he was/is just playing her - I think he is starting to feel a connection due to her past pain. And he was very respectful of her - given they had history.....
PJ and Lisbon - they seem to be very ratty with each other - its like they had a big argument and are really angry with each other...... It adds interesting tension because when they finally get together (which i am sure they will but i hope not till the end of the series) - it will be explosive....
Did you notice that the guard leading Loreli out of the prison (who was part of the plan to let her escape????) - was the same one who impersonated her at the end of Episode 1. And was the whole escape organised by Brett Stiles - in which case where does the FBI and this guard fit in???
I really enjoyed Simon's direction - the lighting at the beach was magic - the lighthearted humour along with the serious tone. I jumped out of my seat when Loreli appeared at the door of the cabin.

Finally lucky EC gets to kiss Simon in every episode she's in!!!!!!!! tongue

Evy Date: Thursday, 22-Nov-12, 5:37 PM | Message # 30
Fair Dinkum

to Thrill : Yes EC kissed Simon but.... Blessed Simon who led EC at half naked in water !!!! facepalm

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 08 Red Sails in the Sunset (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz