The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Season 5 Speculation
Season 5 Speculation
Fran Date: Thursday, 31-May-12, 8:42 PM | Message # 16
Fair Dinkum

So it looks as though The Mentalist is losing 3 of its staff writers for next season - Ashley Gable, Daniel Cerone and Ken Woodruff. With 9 writers (including Bruno), that's a third which seems quite a lot to lose all at once. I guess this is fairly typical, as I suppose its inevitable that good writers on a successful show will want to take opportunties to advance their careers.

My first reaction was disappointment, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm thinking that maybe it can be seen as a positive thing - some new people may bring some new ideas to the table and help to stop things becoming stale. And to be honest, I've never really felt that its the writing that makes The Mentalist special - for me its Simon and Bruno that do that. Also I'm quite excited about Simon becoming an Executive Producer.

How do other people feel about it?

AgentM Date: Thursday, 31-May-12, 9:33 PM | Message # 17
Bee's Knees

Where do I find the application form?! I would sooooooo love to do that job - I've sent some of my Mentalist scripts and fan fic to Simon in the past and I'm happy to see that I've been pretty much on the same wavelength as the writers - as some bits of my ideas have been reflected in later episodes.(I'd love to think they borrowed my ideas but that may be pushing it! I know they're not supposed to read them for legal reasons)

Fran! Please...you've got contacts! How about an interview! lol. biggrin

I guess it is inevitable that writers will move on - I am sad to see that 3 of the best are moving on, though. I agree that Simon and Bruno do make TM special but at the same time, you need to have extremely talented writers to give the actors something to work with. I know Simon has a lot of input to the episodes - far more than as just an actor - the man so disproves the theory that men can't multitask! - it's fantastic that he'll finally get credited with being an Exec producer, although I have a sneaky suspicion he's been doing that role for a while already.

As for Bruno, well he's simply a writing God! I'm sure we'll continue to be dazzled by his writing prowess, maybe the new writers will cut their teeth with some of the more stand-alone episodes, as I think Bruno is probably just as obsessed with Red John as Jane is! That story arc belongs to him and him alone!

I look forward to seeing what the new writers will have to offer.

Fran Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 0:09 AM | Message # 18
Fair Dinkum

Quote (AgentM)
it's fantastic that he'll finally get credited with being an Exec producer, although I have a sneaky suspicion he's been doing that role for a while already.

I think he has too, but I think now its official he may feel more comfortable about trying to influence things even more.

Quote (AgentM)
Fran! Please...you've got contacts! How about an interview!

Sorry, I have no contacts sad

bluemoon_999 Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 6:31 AM | Message # 19
Blow-In

About potentially losing 3 writers: I would HATE to see Ken Woodruff and Daniel Cerone go. I still hope that is not true. These 2 writers did understand and write Patrick Jane very well - consistently. Let's face it. That's the most important quality a TM writer needs to bring. It pains me to criticize TM, but those few episodes where the focus is not Jane are truly boring. And that is something TM or any other show cannot afford if they want to stay alive. This season, Ken, Tom and Daniel are my top favorite writers. I'd be hugely hugely disappointed if this were true. Please NO!!! On the other hand, I'd like the idea of new writers if they ARE GOOD.

@kul65: I love your idea! I just think it would be such a waste to write Lorelai as pure evil and tool of red John. I'd love to see Lorelai grow fond of Jane. I think it would be possible if CBI does get information out of her.

Lorelei being pregnant? That would be too much drama even I am not sure I could handle biggrin But that sounds exciting. Would love to see Jane's reaction cool

And I kind of like the approach of hooking Jane up with stunning but dangerous women: first Erica then Lorelai. I think it fits Jane's character and it is very refreshing. Sorry, but I don't like Jane being with a good woman. Not that it's not good for him, but it's boring for the show. Happily ever after could be reserved for the series finale which I don't want to talk about.

Nixenkind Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 7:15 AM | Message # 20
Jillaroo

Weeeellllll- I can always fast forward, that makes me feel better...
Of course, it's all about opinions- but mine is different biggrin .
You remember the Conwoman played by Lisa Sheridan in "Miss Red"? That was a fascinating, mischievous flirt.
Erica Flynn and Loralei both reach a level of "evil" that makes it impossible for me to like the character... I have exactly ZERO sympathy for both of them. Him kissing Erica made me have a physical, stomach-churning reaction of disgust- Loralei had the luck that I didn't really know HOW bad she was when he kissed her, but I certainly can't watch those scenes now... as I said: I fast-forward them when I re-watch the episode. I trust the writers to deliver something spectacular,and of course I will cope with whatever they dish out as long as I can see Patrick in action.
But I absolutely don't WANT him to fall for the ice cold killers!
I still think that they shouldn't overdo the love-interest-thingy... I like Jane as a loner for now, and as you said: the end of the show is hopefully far away. And yes: I want the relationship between Jane and Lisbon to progress, but VEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYY slowly... they can't come anywhere near couple-status until the absolute end of the show, because it would indeed be boring.. or doomed. I'm thrilled to see what happens between Castle and Beckett, but I bet it won't be all hearts and flowers from now on- I don't want something like that for Jane and Lisbon, it would distract from the focus of the show and feel nothing but awkward.
I agree about the episodes where Jane isn't at the center- they tend to be pretty bad. A good example is ep. 4.06- so much potential, almost everything wasted because Jane was hardly a part of the story.

lenacr Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 8:13 AM | Message # 21
Dinkie-Di

Personally, I do not like when 3 writers leave the show at the time that this is being moved to a dubious slot. Is there some internal conflict going on? I hope not, and I shall adopt Fran's view that new writers will be a refreshing new aspect for the show; as long as they can adapt quickly and adore and understand Jane completely.
Good for Simon becoming an Executive Producer. I would agree that his input has been already at this level.
I am amazed with all the theories developed here about Jane, RJ and Lorelai. I've never doubted before that Jane slept with Lorelai and I still believe it (or not?). I think in a way he likes her. I hope on the other hand that there is no pregnancy - real or fake. That would be too cruel for Jane (if they slept together).
For a long time now I've believed that there is more to Van Pelt than has been shown so far. For a long time I suspected her to be RJ or his disciple - though not any more. (Two of her lovers tried to kill or harm Jane. Can she really be so unlucky / gullible in her choice of boyfriends? Plus the red hair.)
Just two general questions:
Does anybody else wonder about Jane's mother? Or has anything been ever mentioned about his mother that I have missed?
And is there anything going on with the names: Red John - Jane (male - female)?

AgentM Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 8:35 AM | Message # 22
Bee's Knees

Quote (Fran)
Quote (AgentM)
Fran! Please...you've got contacts! How about an interview!

Sorry, I have no contacts

sad

lol. Thanks anyway, Fran. Without you I wouldn't have my updates about this beautiful man!!! This is such a fantastic site. Kudos to you. hands

bee Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 9:36 AM | Message # 23
Fair Dinkum

I was a little worried when I first heard that three writers were to leave the show, especially Ashley, Ken Woodruff and Daniel Cerone. Was there an underlying factor in this mass exodus? We are probably two thirds through the series and it's a shame they are not staying to see it through. However, as has been said, new writers will hopefully bring fresh ideas which can only be good for the show and Simon becoming an Executive Producer is great news too.

Patrick Jane's character is very complex and I'm sure there are many more twists and turns still to come which we can enjoy (or not?) that the new writers will contribute towards. Besides there's always Bruno!

Fran Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 10:09 AM | Message # 24
Fair Dinkum

Quote (bluemoon_999)
I would HATE to see Ken Woodruff and Daniel Cerone go. I still hope that is not true.

I think Daniel Cerone must be a definite to go, because his new project 'Motive' looks as though its got to be a full-time job. Ken Woodruff is less certain because his project 'Killshot' seems to be a movie rather than a TV series, and there's been no news about it since January - so maybe he'll be staying.

Mossibecca Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 10:32 AM | Message # 25
Bee's Knees

I am sad that we may be losing such talented people, but it is a credit to them and the programme that they have been sought after to move onto other projects.

It is a worry about continuity, but Bruno will still be there at the helm....I feel that new ideas will keep the programme fresh, and keep on introducing new faces of Jane.....I'm sure that Bruno will not let his creation deviate too far from his ideas...but Jane in season 4 is NOT the Jane from Season 1....people change as they experience new things. so the writing has to change to accommodate this.

I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store next season

kul65 Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 3:23 PM | Message # 26
Cobber

Ashley Gable, Ken Woodruff and Daniel Cerone? I was already worried about the loss of the first two and now Cerone - second only to Bruno himself - too... Next season really will be hit or miss, but I hope they get some great new ones to replace them.

Message edited by kul65 - Friday, 01-Jun-12, 3:24 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 5:03 PM | Message # 27
Bee's Knees

I cannot speculate about season 5 without thinking that Lorelei will be instrumental in giving Jane and the FBI a lot of info about RJ which could just be that she is intanded as a mole to give false clues which Jane will probably uncover as the red herring they are. The writers have come together before and when they dicsuss the direction of the show, they usually do this in conference so we will see continuity and as for Jane's parentage, we have met his father and I'm sure his mother will be introduced in season 5, she is probably French, quite prominent or known and he has no idea but will of course suspect. That is my take on this speculative endeavor,

Tassie Date: Friday, 01-Jun-12, 5:38 PM | Message # 28
Bee's Knees

I worry that channel 5 won't screen series 5-perhaps they'll give us some info after tonights final episode. However I'm relieved that Bruno has contingency plans to 'round off' the RJ story should the show be cancelled before series 7 (they couldn't be so cruel)

bluemoon_999 Date: Saturday, 02-Jun-12, 4:52 AM | Message # 29
Blow-In

@ Nixenkind: Sure I remember that conwoman. She and Sophie Miller are my fav. Only the writers don't bring them back :((( Well, I HATED Erica Flynn back in season 3. But then I fell in love with her chemistry with Jane in War of Roses. And didn't she look stunning! BTW, I even started watching Homeland. Not bad, but also not that good to deserve a Golden Globe. Anyway, everything about that episode, the case, the story etc., was just fabulous. Relationships like this are the most exciting kind of sword-play. And I have to say War of Roses is the hottest episode ever in TM's history. Not even Jane/Lorelai bed scene tops it. And I wonder why there is a "if" that they slept together? Jane got laid - finally! Lol. Given Lorelai's background, I bet or hope this relationship would be ambiguous too.

About the writers, I agree it's actually a credit to the show and their work, especially now they can executive produce their own show. Nevertheless, I still hate to see Daniel go :(((

Ok,  as long as Ken is not leaving, I am happy. I still didn't get a chance to tell him how much I love him. Lol.

Fran Date: Saturday, 02-Jun-12, 10:46 AM | Message # 30
Fair Dinkum

So Bruno is telling us that Lorelei will provide "some really important, concrete facts about Red John next season” and that "there will be a cascade of information – how he operates, who’s with him and who isn’t, and what his game really is.”

I hope Bruno isn't stringing us along this time, because I think the audience now needs to see some real progress. Although I think I'm slightly less interested in the facts about RJ than I am in seeing how this plays out, i.e. how Jane gets Lorelei to tell him the information and how he'll know that she's not lying - so I hope we'll see some good mind-game scenes with Jane & Lorelei.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Season 5 Speculation
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz