Thursday, 02-May-24, 7:57 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 01 The Desert Rose (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
01 The Desert Rose
AgentM Date: Monday, 30-Sep-13, 10:50 PM | Message # 16
Bee's Knees

Okay, so I've watched and am starting to digest...

First of all, I love the way Bruno connected the opening teaser to the pilot...all roads lead home (so to speak) Jane seeming to be a little off kilter with regards to the shooter was intriguing, however, I don't think he is floundering in the dark as much as Lisbon thinks he is. I can almost hear the cogs whirring in his head as he tries to puzzle out how RJ is pulling off the 'psychic' ability to know what is going on in his head. Here's a crazy thought...what if RJ had somehow planted the list of suspects into PJ's subconscious? It could be a way to explain that RJ knew the list 2 months before PJ had finally whittled it down.

It wasn't too difficult a case to solve in the crime du jour. The diner walls were decorated with money for goodness sake...and why else would PJ insist on staying at the diner and teaching the chef how to cook eggs?!

As for Bertram's line "I am many things to many people" - we know he is a poetry buff, and the line comes from an old poem by Amos F. Hurley called 'Old Glory Speaks'. It is a patriotic poem about the flag of the US (hence Old Glory). I believe that Bertram is simply being patriotic, arrogantly big-headed, but innocent none-the-less. The fact that he wants to be 'on the boat when that fish is brought in' just fits with his character being a glory seeker. He loves the press attention when something positive happens...always looking for the big PR moment. And what could be bigger than taking credit for bringing in a notorious serial killer?

Jane's interaction with Partridge at the beach didn't sit right with me. I still think Partridge is RJ. ( Yes, I know it was made to look like he was a victim in the end, but we don't believe that, do we? I certainly don't, not even for a minute) Jane's confronting him seemed like a vehicle to provide a catalyst for Partridge to somehow prove himself to be a false lead. And what better way than to fake your own death to make you seem innocent. Did anyone else think it was convenient timing that he managed to live long enough to utter those immortal words, "Tyger, tyger" , before succumbing? Lisbon didn't check for a pulse and blood would be an easy acquisition for Partridge. Lisbon's glance at the room behind her would have given him ample time to become Lazarus...although there's always the possibility that he might have had a minion's assistance. I will be interested to see how they get around the body of Partridge problem. As for the cryptic clues in the final sequence that BBB mentions, I'm not sure yet - possibly the Manson family style graffiti on the walls (the word DIE and the number 666 and what looked like a pentagram all painted in blood).

RJ's wiping blood onto the three fingers of a kitchen-gloved hand was reminiscent of Partridge's description in the pilot episode...maybe that was what Bruno meant...seems a little obvious rather than cryptic though. The bloody clown face on Lisbon was creepy (and not a hundred miles away from a scene I wrote in one of my fanfic stories a few years ago - except it was the smiley face and on Jane's back in his wife's blood!) I can't wait to see how and why RJ doesn't manage to kill her - I'm not convinced he intends to at this point, more fun to just taunt Jane with what he could do if he wanted to - like a cat toying with the mouse pinned between his claws before finally biting into it and sealing its fate.

Overall, I felt it was a worthy premiere (with the usual high standard from cast and crew)...and I can't wait to see how all the clues and twists and turns play out in the next few episodes.

bunnyt Date: Monday, 30-Sep-13, 10:55 PM | Message # 17
Jillaroo

..really really creapy!!!!...I can't wait for next sunday!!

marta75 Date: Monday, 30-Sep-13, 11:26 PM | Message # 18
Rip Snorter

Did someone notice chris long's great job ? The directing, lighting, camera work, adding sound (even the flies) and colour effects were perfect. And of course I love the acting. My favorite scene : when Jane find out that the entire team is aware of the seven names.

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 30-Sep-13, 11:32 PM | Message # 19
Bee's Knees

The premiere definitely set the stage for a great season. Good job by all. And thanks so much for the excellent summary, AgentM. Part of me wonders whether Jane knew full well that Lisbon would tell Grace, who would tell Rigsby, etc. Jane has told Lisbon in the past that she's a bad liar. Is there a long con here?

Peithon Date: Tuesday, 01-Oct-13, 1:19 AM | Message # 20
Rip Snorter

And let's not forget the two pigeons (stand ins for A Brace of Partridge) Blake's painting. Is there anyone who doesn't suspect CBI Ron is up to no good? And yes I need to see Partridge's dead body before I eliminate him, but he's one of the circle for sure.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 01-Oct-13, 9:20 AM | Message # 21
Fair Dinkum

Great episode. I have watched only once, will do it again today, tomorrow and Thursday (it's a holiday in Germany :D, so lots of time) and many more times.
I was really happy with the start into the season. A very good one.

But when I read your comments ...gee, I really thought Partridge is out. But now ... I don't know what to think. He was my No. 1 suspect, so I was shocked to see the end, all my theories going down. But you are right, could be a fake.

I was wondering ...has Pj ever told somebody about the Tyger Tyger poem RJ told him in the finale of S 2? How did Partridge know?
I still don't think Bertram is RJ.

I'm so excited about this season! And now even more after I've seen the first episode. They all did a great job. And how I do love Bruno. He's genious! It was so good to see new TM scenes. I missed them. Now the waiting for next Monday is back again. And with the cliffhangers even more.
I never ever was intrigued by another show like I am with this one! TM is just the best!

And I was happy to see PJ finally again only in shirt and vest. I love that outfit on Simon, and we haven't really seen it in the last seasons because he always kept the jacket on.

Mcbabsi Date: Tuesday, 01-Oct-13, 11:34 AM | Message # 22
Jillaroo

I'm with tinamarianne here, Bertram would be too obvious...

but then again, you never know!

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 01-Oct-13, 5:06 PM | Message # 23
Bee's Knees

Filming at Salton Sea was a nightmare, it was deathly hot. No wonder Simon chose to keep the jacket off.
Did anyone pick up on the fact that even though they were picking up where they left off, Simon's hair was almost the same albeit he looked a bit fitter after the 3 month hiatus. Lisbon did have the cast on for a litttle while then it was off.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 03-Oct-13, 8:50 PM | Message # 24
Fair Dinkum

So B. Heller says there's a big clue in the last scene… I've seen it a few times, but frankly it's really not obvious!

We have 7 suspects. The most visible clue : When Lisbon enters the dark house, we see the number "666" painted in red on the wall.

666 is the sum of the squares of the first seven smallest prime numbers.

We all know that in several mythologies, Evil is portrayed as a beast (a dragon or a snake). In the Apocalypse of Saint John, the Beast (ie the devil) has seven heads (of course!), and represents a political system, wich extends its power on the men who choose it by marking them with the number 666.

The 7 can be writen : 6 + 6/6 (ie 6 + 1).
Maybe Red John has 6 disciples, and has started to eliminate the "weakest"?

There's also a long shot of the bathroom, wich door is closed when Lisbon hears Partridge moaning, and is opened when she eventually stands up. For a few long seconds, we see a small sink, with a curtain, or a canvas bag?? hanging, before Lisbon is attacked. I wonder if it means something?

Wand6122360 Date: Thursday, 03-Oct-13, 10:51 PM | Message # 25
Bee's Knees

You seem to like mathematics, DS_Pallas.

Mossibecca Date: Friday, 04-Oct-13, 10:31 AM | Message # 26
Bee's Knees

Interesting DS...I have watched this bit of the episode so often, my eyes are crossed,and I STILL can't work out what Bruno means....looking forward to enlightenment!!

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 04-Oct-13, 8:43 PM | Message # 27
Fair Dinkum

Quote (Wand6122360)
You seem to like mathematics, DS_Pallas.

I'm more the literary type smile (I'm a bookseller!)
But numbers (and numerology) play a big part in symbolism (I don't believe in numerology though!) and esoterism.

And Mossi, like you, will wait to have all the puzzle pieces!

Wand6122360 Date: Friday, 04-Oct-13, 9:56 PM | Message # 28
Bee's Knees

Symbolism and esoterism. I love fiction that deals with those themes, which of course, includes The Mentalist.

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 05-Oct-13, 9:34 PM | Message # 29
Fair Dinkum

William Blake watercolour : The Number of the Beast is 666 (circa 1805) :

http://www.apocalyptic-theories.com/gallery/beast/blake2.html

(thanks ‏@Donnamour1969 !)

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Saturday, 05-Oct-13, 9:35 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Saturday, 05-Oct-13, 9:39 PM | Message # 30
Bee's Knees

Nice! Thanks, DS_Pallas. I'm really curious to see how much of this stuff Bruno Heller has incorporated. My husband tells me that he remembers William Blake and this print being prominent in the book The Red Dragon. He wondered why serial killers seem to be drawn to William Blake.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 01 The Desert Rose (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz