Thursday, 02-May-24, 7:41 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 09 My Blue Heaven (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
09 My Blue Heaven
Fran Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-14, 12:32 PM | Message # 76
Fair Dinkum

A nice little review in the Radio Times (UK): http://www.radiotimes.com/episode....-heaven

Review by: David Butcher

In the 1970s big TV series would sometimes branch out and turn themselves into a movie, so you would get to see your beloved characters do their stuff in a whole new setting. This feels a bit like that. It’s The Mentalist, but transported to an idyllic South American island where Patrick Jane is living the simple life.

It’s two years after he strangled Thomas McAllister, AKA serial killer Red John, in a public park. He has put it behind him. “I’m done with that life. I did what I had to do and I’ve moved on,” he tells Abbott when the burly FBI agent tracks him down. But has that life done with him?

A beautifully controlled, sweetly touching fable unfolds in the sun, subtly directed by leading man Simon Baker himself. Not often does a long-running series get to press the reset button and start afresh like this. For fans of the show, it’s a gift-wrapped, pure-pleasure treat.

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-14, 12:39 PM | Message # 77
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Fran, MBH realy is
a gift-wrapped, pure-pleasure treat
from Simon smile

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-14, 12:51 PM | Message # 78
Fair Dinkum

Very nice review Fran, thanks for posting it!

Quote Ivana ()
a gift-wrapped, pure-pleasure treat
from Simon

Don't forget he's not the only one involved in this, Tom Szentgyorgyi also treat us with a good scenario…
But I must say Simon has a beautiful personal touch in his way of filming and directing. More intimate than usual directors, more cinematic maybe?

Tassie Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-14, 5:02 PM | Message # 79
Bee's Knees

Was so happy when I saw this review and was wondering how to post it on site, however once again you've come to the rescue Fran. Great to see TM mentioned positively in UK press.

Mossibecca Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-14, 7:01 PM | Message # 80
Bee's Knees

I agree Tassie, my heart did a little double flip when I saw this because usually they are less than enthusiastic in their reviews....actually it is good to see TM mentioned at ALL in the UK press!

Sun Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-14, 10:19 PM | Message # 81
Cobber

Well, they might say less to nothing, but when they comment, they do it with much sympathy.
I'm so happy about this review! Simon's episode is indeed a pure pleasure and shows all his wonderful talents of observation, his love for the detail, his humanity. He will be such a wonderful director in the future.
I'm looking very much forward to every step he will make in his career. We won't lose him after the Mentalist!

Sandra Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 0:57 AM | Message # 82
Jillaroo

Very good review. Well written and very true!

Tina Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 9:43 AM | Message # 83
Fair Dinkum

I'm always happy when I read such articles. They understand what a wonderful show TM is! I hope CBS does do!

bee Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 10:35 AM | Message # 84
Fair Dinkum

A good review and so nice that it was also mentioned that Simon directed this episode too. I agree so pleasing to read ANYTHING about TM in the UK press.

Message edited by bee - Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 10:38 AM

Fran Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 2:14 PM | Message # 85
Fair Dinkum

As others have mentioned, what I think is so nice about this well written review (in what is probably the UK’s most respected TV magazine) is that it highlights Simon’s talent as a Director. I know we all want a season 7, but like Sun, I’m very much looking forward to seeing Simon’s career develop, hopefully as an Actor/Director rather than just behind the camera. And I’m very interested to see what projects he gets involved in, once he has the luxury of time (and money) to be able to choose what’s important to him.

As Sun says, we won’t lose him after The Mentalist but we’ll probably see less of him. And there will almost certainly be less buzz, because I think a lot of fans are more fans of The Mentalist and Patrick Jane than of Simon himself, so they will lose interest and become fans of something or somebody else. But for those of us who genuinely admire Simon for all his talents, I think it will be wonderful to see him broadening his horizons and undertaking new challenges.

Ivana Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 3:13 PM | Message # 86
Fair Dinkum

Well said Fran. Simon has very distinctive sensibility in directing and acting and I am looking forward seeing more of that. Although I'll always be a little bit in love with Patrick Jane.

Evy Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 3:15 PM | Message # 87
Fair Dinkum

Fran
I think a lot of fans are more fans of The Mentalist and Patrick Jane than of Simon himself, so they will lose interest and become fans of something or somebody else

These are not "real" fans ! Simon is the essential part of The Mentalist which would not exist without him. He is the soul of this drama.
If we don't have a season 7, it's sure that we will lose him a lot, I think, if he doesn't stay an actor. sad

I wish that The Mentalist is also popular in the UK than in France, where it is the series that has the most success ! up

Message edited by Evy - Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 3:17 PM

Tina Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 3:30 PM | Message # 88
Fair Dinkum

I don't think Simon will not act anymore after TM. He too much loves this. He's really so good in directing, but I don't see him as only a director.

I love PJ, but I sure love to see him in other roles and I will still be a fan of Simon after TM. There are a few movies I don't get enough of, and of course "The Guardian", because I fell in love with Nick first. I loved PJ, but Nick made me get a real fan of Simon. And of course when I started to check out talkshows with Simon on youtube. He is too special to be just reduced to be Patrick Jane.

But I really hope so much for Season 7, I'm not ready to loose PJ! I guess I never will be ready, but I need at least this 7th, I'm pretty sure there won't be more after this, so I guess I could learn to live with that. But the 7th really should happen. TM doesn't deserve to get cancelled, it should end because the actors/ Bruno don't renew their contract.

bee Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 3:40 PM | Message # 89
Fair Dinkum

Although I long for a Season 7 to enable a proper conclusion to what has been an incredible journey for Patrick Jane (and us) I too am looking forward to seeing Simon's career progress in whatever way he chooses. Other celebrities such as Clint Eastwood, Ben Affleck, George Clooney and even Charlie Chaplin, to name but a few, have combined their acting skills with directing and I think this is probably the way forward for Simon in the future. This may mean we won't see so much of him but dedicated fans of Simon will wish him every success and will keep an eye out for any projects in which he may be involved. Simon is such a gifted actor as well as a great director and I'm sure we can look forward to many years following Simon's career as it develops and prospers. biggrin

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 20-Feb-14, 6:44 PM | Message # 90
Fair Dinkum

Agree with you all here. smile

After TM, all what Simon needs is:
- a very good film scenario to show his directing skills and get a real kick out of it
- a very good movie with a great director who's gonna press him to give the best of himself as an actor, so that he could demonstrate he can still play other characters than the Mentalist, or the dull lady-killer like he was type-casted in the past.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 09 My Blue Heaven (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz