Saturday, 18-May-24, 7:59 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Lena Date: Saturday, 29-Sep-12, 9:15 AM | Message # 166
Dinkie-Di

Thank you so much kul65 for the article.

I like when Robin says : "... and Simon Baker is so intrinsically charming and winning, you can have him smiling and being adorable, but at the same time having these revenge plots makes it surprising and different."

Fran Date: Sunday, 30-Sep-12, 11:29 PM | Message # 167
Fair Dinkum

Nothing much new here, except perhaps about Cho & Rigsby.

'The Mentalist': 5 things you need to know about season 5 before tonight's premiere

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/30/the-mentalist-season-5-premiere/

New night, fresh start. After three years on Thursday at 10 p.m. (now occupied by Elementary, The Mentalist moves to Sunday at 10. Creator/showrunner Bruno Heller is treating the switch as a new beginning. An early episode — the 100th of the series — will be something of an origin story, chronicling Patrick Jane’s first adventure with the California Bureau of Investigation. In other words: A good time for newbies to jump aboard. It may also be a good time for lapsed fans to come back, as…

Red John Gets Revved Up. The defining, ongoing mystery at the heart of The Mentalist is Jane’s quest to nab — and kill — the ingenious and elusive serial killer that murdered his wife and child. After attentively building and attending to that tale during the first three seasons, The Mentalist eased up a bit during season 4 in an effort to be a little lighter, a little more accessible. Heller says season 5 will be different. “Things are going to move forward in a way they haven’t the past few seasons,” he says. “We are going to make one giant leap toward Red John by the end of [the year].” One early story: Jane will meet someone claiming to be his daughter. More revelations will follow, many of them provided by…

The Return Of Lorelei Martins. In the season 4 finale, after apparently giving up on the Red John quest (a ruse to bait the baddie into the open, or so Jane claimed), Patrick romanced an apparent kindred soul/femme fatale (Emmanuelle Chriqui) who turned out to be one of Red John’s many loyal disciples. These psycho fans tend to not last long when captured — they get killed or kill themselves — but Lorelei will be sticking around for awhile. “Jane is going to start working on her, and she is the key that will open the door to finding out who Red John is, where he is and how to get to him,” says Heller, adding that just because they’re now technically adversaries doesn’t mean Jane and Lorelei aren’t still attracted to each other. “We’ll keep playing that. She is hard to dislike,” laughs Heller. “And she has something Jane wants. Any romantic relationship pivots on the question of how much is love and how much is mutual advantage. In this case, both sides have agendas. But there is definitely a romantic edge to it.” By the way, Agent Lisbon? Not one bit happy about Jane’s conflict of interest… and maybe just a teensy bit jealous, too. Also displeased…?

The CBI’s New FBI “Colleagues.” Season 5 will see the CBI squad working — and clashing — with a trio of FBI agents also chasing Red John. Polly Walker from Rome plays the group’s boss; Ivan Sergei (Jack & Jill, Gravity) and Drew Powell (Southland, Straw Dogs) play a “lovely bizarro world version of Rigsby and Cho.” Speaking of which…

Breakup Blues. Cho (Tim Kang) split with informant-turned-girlfriend Summer (Samaire Armstrong) because of her drug issues, but he still pines for her — and will be seeing her again. “When she shows up later in the season needing his help, he can’t help but to fall for it,” says Heller. Meanwhile, Rigsby (Owain Yeoman) has parted with the mother of his child and will be dealing with the ramifications. (He’ll also have to deal once again with his ex-con pop, played by William Forsythe, in an episode dealing with SoCal meth wars.) Any chance that Rigsby and CBI colleague/former flame Grace Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti) might rekindle their romance? “That’s a long game, those two,” says Heller. “[But] by end of the season there might be some movement there.”

Bonus Teases! Episode 2: Jane will encounter a young woman (Dove Cameron) who claims to be his daughter… or is she?! Also: Malcolm McDowell is slated to return this season, playing his popular CBI nemesis Brett Stiles, the shady leader of a Scientology-esque religion/cult. Also on tap to return this season: CBI agent J.J. LaRoche (Pruitt Taylor Vince) and retired CBI boss Virgil Minelli (Gregory Itzin)…

…who is this fan-theorist’s pick for Red John. Yours?

Fran Date: Wednesday, 03-Oct-12, 10:44 AM | Message # 168
Fair Dinkum

I haven't heard much about The Mentalist's Van Pelt. What's ahead for her this season?
ADAM: Van Pelt's story this season was made a bit tricky because of Amanda Righetti's real-life pregnancy, which isn't being written into the show. "We'd been planning more emotional stuff for her if we didn't have to accommodate the pregnancy," creator Bruno Heller says. By "emotional stuff," he means Van Pelt's on-and-off relationship with Risgby. But on second thought, Heller says waiting a bit longer for the duo is best. "Like life, these things don't happen in days," he says. "It happens in months and years. I think the beauty of those two is they are right for each other, but they don't know it yet."

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Greys-1054166.aspx

Fran Date: Wednesday, 03-Oct-12, 11:28 AM | Message # 169
Fair Dinkum

Kang has moulded his role in The Mentalist

Actor Tim Kang expects more often than not to be wearing some type of uniform when he's cast in Hollywood.

Kang believes directors seemed to have honed-in on his serious side - and it could be part of the reason he was cast as agent Kimball Cho in the successful crime drama The Mentalist.

But Kang says he's far removed from the stereotypical policemen and soldiers he has portrayed on the small screen - in fact he says he's usually joking around on set.

"A lot of people don't see that (side of me)," Kang tells AAP.

"I've played soldiers, police officers, undercover cops and FBI agents, these sort of serious guys, and I think that there is obviously something about what I bring to the table."

It's not as though Kang is complaining.

Until he was cast alongside Aussie actor Simon Baker in The Mentalist, Kang had never cemented a role in a television show.

"This is my first series regular and certainly it's been great, from a financial aspect, because as actors we go from job to job to job and the unemployed at any moment," he says from the LA set.

"We are in the middle of filming our 100th episode and it's such a landmark milestone for the show and I consider myself to be in a very fortunate position."

While Baker has made a name for himself on the back of starring in The Mentalist, which airs on the Nine Network, Kang says he had never met him until he started working on the first series.

"I knew of him and I remember his memorable performance in LA Confidential and it's one of the things that stuck in my mind," Kang says.

The character of Cho that Kang portrays on the screen is not the same one he `met' during the first reading of the script.

Kang says creator Bruno Heller gave him poetic licence to mould the character, which has allowed him to embellish, retain or even discard certain personality traits as he pleased.

Heller also gave the same permission to the rest of the cast, Kang says, and it's worked amazingly well and to the benefit of the series.

"In the beginning Cho was a family man, he had two kids, he was sort of on the sloppy side and socially inept.

"For me, I loved the fact I had framework and Bruno, to his credit, he gave us free reign.

"He said this is how I envision the character but you take it and run with it ... he gave me a lot to sink my teeth into.

"I kept the great stuff and jettisoned the stuff I wasn't really into."

* The Mentalist (series five) premieres on the Nine Network on Monday October 8 at 8.30pm

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news....42.html

Peithon Date: Wednesday, 03-Oct-12, 5:57 PM | Message # 170
Rip Snorter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news....-375831

Showrunners 2012: 'The Mentalist's' Bruno Heller
Heller talks about who has the industry's best ears for a pitch, the BBC show that inspires him and his love of "Storage Wars."

From their obsessive rituals (Peppermint Patties! Oatmeal! Bruce Springsteen!) to the parts of their jobs they hate most (killing characters off, dealing with agents), TV's most influential writer-producers featured on The Hollywood Reporter's annual list of the Top 50 Showrunners come clean about the people, things and quirky habits that keep them -- and their shows -- alive.

BRUNO HELLER, 52, The Mentalist (CBS), creator/EP/showrunner (5 years)

The show that inspired me to write:
Heller: [The BBC series] Boys from the Blackstuff by Alan Bleasdale.

My TV mentor:
Heller: [Warner Bros. TV president] Peter Roth. He has the best ears for a pitch out of anyone in Los Angeles. If you can sell what you are selling to Peter you can sell it to anyone.

The most absurd note I’ve ever gotten:
Heller: Peter Roth told me, “You said it was a romantic comedy but it wasn't romantic and it wasn't comic."

The one aspect of my job as showrunner that I’d rather delegate:
Heller: Firing people.

My preferred method for breaking through writers’ block:
Heller: Network TV deadlines.

The show I’m embarrassed to admit I watch:
Heller: [A&E’s] Storage Wars. It is the nearest thing to the relaxing experience of fishing in an empty river that television can provide.

Thrill Date: Thursday, 04-Oct-12, 1:09 PM | Message # 171
Dinkie-Di

The Mentalist (series five) premieres on the Nine Network on Monday October 8 at 8.30pm

Wow - back on NINE (not sure why this was in a NZ article as NINE is here is Aus - but looked at NINE website and it is listed and there appears to be no publicity and their Mentalist page is BADLY out of date. Still it will be great to see Ep 1 for the 5th time......

Mossibecca Date: Thursday, 04-Oct-12, 3:41 PM | Message # 172
Bee's Knees

@Thrill, it sounds like NINE do the same job as FIVE here in the UK of promoting The Mentalist.....idiots!! facepalm it makes me very cranky

Fran Date: Friday, 05-Oct-12, 10:15 AM | Message # 173
Fair Dinkum

The Mentalist | Dipping into the mailbag, Laura asks: “Can I have a scoop about other characters from The Mentalist, like Van Pelt and Rigsby?”

I relayed your request to EP Tom Szentgyorgyi, who for starters promised we’ll meet “someone new in Van Pelt’s future.” As for Rigsby, “He will cross paths with his father again, and continue to cope with his new life as a single dad.” (As show boss Bruno Heller previously teased, the Rigsby men’s “very conflicted and difficult relationship… comes to an epic head in Episode 4.”) As an added bonus, Szentgyorgyi shared that “Cho will start moonlighting with a second CBI unit, which leads him to a surprising encounter with someone from his past.” Scoop need sated?

http://tvline.com/2012....poilers

sorchauna Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 0:13 AM | Message # 174
Jillaroo

It's been reported in the UK newspapers that Owain Yeoman has gotten engaged so if the reports are true Congrats!

http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-10....clusive

Fran Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 2:57 PM | Message # 175
Fair Dinkum

UK Air Date Season 5 - This site is showing a 'to be confirmed' date of Friday 2nd November

http://www.geektown.co.uk/uk-air-dates/

Tassie Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 5:33 PM | Message # 176
Bee's Knees

Hope this is true Fran, as I don't think I can wait much longer. Got my season 4 DVD today so that will keep me going.

Fran Date: Thursday, 11-Oct-12, 11:51 PM | Message # 177
Fair Dinkum

"The Mentalist" Nemesis "Red John" Takes Spotlight In All-Day Marathon Monday, Oct. 22, on TNT
The 11-hour marathon - beginning at Noon (ET/PT) - will open with the pilot episode.
Timings of all episodes being shown are here: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news....11tnt01

Fran Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 11:55 PM | Message # 178
Fair Dinkum

Warner Bros. promotes show biz benefits
Warner Bros. is taking promotion of two of its TV series to the streets with truck advertising that boasts how many jobs the shows have created, the economic benefits they’ve brought to the community and a thank-you to residents and drivers impacted by on-location shoots.

It’s part of a new marketing strategy that simultaneously promotes the product while tapping into consumer interest in the economy and job creation.

“It’s kind of a pilot program,” said Michael Walbrecht, vice president of public affairs for the studio. The trucks decked out with the display advertising rolled out this past week.

The three trucks — two for “The Mentalist” and one for “Suburgatory” — are used at on-location shoots to transport equipment and props, as well as for studio production work, bringing items such as props and furniture to the sets.

Because Warner Bros. is based in Burbank, local residents likely will see the trucks more frequently, Walbrecht said, but the vehicles will be traveling throughout the greater Los Angeles area, particularly for “The Mentalist,” which does regular on-location shoots. “They could be anywhere from Long Beach to Lancaster,” Walbrecht said.

The new marketing tack comes as job creation dominates the presidential race and the headlines. In that environment, the ads let the public know that the movie business helps fuel the economy in significant ways, Walbrecht said. “It reminds them that this is a big industry,” he said.

The truck ads tout “The Mentalist” as having created 216 jobs and resulting in $300 million spent locally during its last four seasons. “Suburgatory” created 168 jobs and generated $75 million in local spending during its first two seasons, according to the studio.

But the ads also serve to express Warner Bros.’ appreciation to residents affected by on-location shoots, and drivers who may have to take a detour around film crews, trucks and equipment, Walbrecht said.

“We recognize that taking out a crew of 100 people, and a whole bunch of trucks and a whole bunch of equipment, can be disruptive for a neighborhood,” he said.

If the marketing program is successful, Warner Bros. may expand it. “I hope that we get some good response and feedback and try to find some more shows in the future to do it with,” Walbrecht said.

http://www.burbankleader.com/news....4.story

Fran Date: Wednesday, 17-Oct-12, 11:13 PM | Message # 179
Fair Dinkum

EPISODE SPOILERS
TVGuide Scan - Simon Baker and the cast of The Mentalist talk about the 100th episode

http://ocdephemera.blogspot.co.uk/2012....de.html

justlook3 Date: Wednesday, 17-Oct-12, 11:59 PM | Message # 180
Bee's Knees

Of course there's a punch in the nose! Ha. Thanks for sharing the scan.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz