Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 7:26 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Land of the Dead (George Romero movie)
Land of the Dead
sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 1:15 AM | Message # 1
Bee's Knees

Simon appeared in a movie directed by George Romero. Even though he was the hero, he was hoping to play a Zombie. The movie is good fun to watch if you are not grossed out by Zombies. Romero always included a political or social comment in his films. Is anyone willing to take this thrill ride with me as we review this film.

Mossibecca Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 11:11 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

Sylvia, this is one of my favourite films of Simons....Yes I know....not my usual type of film....I don't like horror films, and I DON'T like being made to jump or surprised like that.

BUT...it was Simon, so I thought....hey I'll give it a go.....and I was so glad to have done so, and would urge those of you for whome this ISN'T something you would usually watch to try it.

I felt that it was actually very well done, the Zombies are....messy....but I like the fact that there is some subtle humour in the story ( not unlike that which is in TM)

I liked the character that Simon plays....sort of a reluctant hero....seemingly only interested in his own affairs, but when push came to shove, he helped to save a lot of people.

I always felt that he was underrated in this film, you always see it billed as John L's(sorry can't remember the mans name....doh!)film....oh and Denis Hopper....but Simon plays the hero.....what does he have to do to get recognition??

Like so many of his films there is a sort of underneath story which you only see when you have watch it more than once, and this is no exception, it shows how quickly civilisation is eroded by the fact some people have money and power and are greedy for more.

I have read that Simon learned a lot about the mechanics of filming from George Romero and has great respect for the man.

Worth watching....but bear in mind it IS a bit ...odd....but Simon is VERY hot as Riley!

Message edited by Mossibecca - Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 11:12 AM

bee Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 1:22 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

Although it's not my kind of film I have the DVD and that is only because Simon is in it. I agree Riley was a sort of reluctant hero but can't say much more as I spent most of the time behind the sofa!! Not a fan of zombies! I know that Simon enjoyed making the film though and learnt a lot about make-up etc regarding the zombies. Yes, I agree Mossibecca Simon is HOT in this movie so worth watching again and again regardless of the scary bits! fear

AgentM Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 2:17 PM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

Bee, I'm with you...I don't do zombies, and Simon was the only reason I bought this DVD. He is the best thing in it...and, as usual, turns in a very good performance. I've watched it once...I know I should watch it more, but the zombies keep putting me off - not that I'm scared of them, I'm not...I just don't find that these types of film appeal to me...I guess I'll just have to keep fast forwarding to Simon's bits (which is a bit stop-start-stop-start 'cos he has a lot of bits!!)

Yeah, not one of his best... but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to trying to forge a career and pay bills in the acting industry. tongue

Tina Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 3:34 PM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

Same here. I hate Zombie movies, would have never ever watched it but for Simon of course I watch anything. So I bought me the DVD when I started to collect Simon movies.
He looks very good in the movie and I liked his role. I watched it once completely and once with fastforwarding the zombie scenes.
I prefer other movies with him but I like it better than for example "The Killer Inside Me". Have seen this only once, just saw that it will be on German tv for the first time in the next weeks.

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 5:54 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

I think you hit it on the head , Tina, "The Killer inside Me" was a waste of Simon's talent, and to me I prefer Zobies to these psycho killers. That is one DVD that I will pass on, even if Simon is in it. The same as "The Ring II" which he did with Naomi Watts, a longtime friend. In the George Romero film, the delineation between the greedy sleazes and the Zs is quite effectibe. Romero always had a great sense of right and abuse of the underdog. If you've ever seen the remake of "Crazies" it is worth watching for the underlying snakery of governments. I still prefer zombies to politicos, and the leader of the Zs in this film has worked with Simon since and he is amazing. John Leguizamo is very good as Riley's alter ego albeit not so nice, and the rest of the cast is amazing. I think there is an interview about Red Planet (another forgettable movie) that turned into a pleasant recount of making this movie with Romero.

Tassie Date: Thursday, 19-Dec-13, 7:58 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

This is the only 'zombie' film I have ever watched, but I thoroughly enjoyed Simon's performance in it. Red Planet stays in it's box as does Women in Trouble which I thought was truly dreadful.

Tina Date: Friday, 20-Dec-13, 9:48 AM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

I admit I haven't even watched the whole movie "Women In Trouble", only Simon's scenes. Don't care much about Red Planet too.
I hope once TM is finished, he makes some really good movies.
But I think he had fun with LOTD. And it's really better than some other movies he did. I usually don't have problems with gory scenes, but zombies ...maybe it's because of a little "trauma" ..when I was about 7 or 8, I was at a birthday party of one of my friends, and her father had a little "movie machine" and showed us a movie, but first he put in a zombie movie. And it was really terrible. He stopped it after a while, but som "ugly" scenes were already there. So maybe that's why I don't like zombie movies.
But for Simon, I really watch anything! And it turned out that it wasn't so bad at all.

Message edited by tinamarianne - Friday, 20-Dec-13, 9:49 AM

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 02-Jan-14, 6:19 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

If you have the movie, in the comments Romero and one of the producers reflect on Simon's gift as a raconteurs which amused the cast when filming in terribly cold weather. It could have been much more daunting. He did most of his stunts, and when climbing on top of Dead Reckoning at the bridge, he removed his peacoat and was in his t-shirt take after take. Also, there is a short interview on the set where he looks like a little kid when he tells how fun it was working on that movie.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Land of the Dead (George Romero movie)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz