Thursday, 28-Mar-24, 5:50 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 1 » Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot (Episode discussion)
Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot
fangs4fun Date: Thursday, 12-Jul-12, 3:51 AM | Message # 1
Jillaroo

I didn't see a thread for this. I thought it would nice to have a discussion thread for each episode rather than for a whole season. If this is not appropriate, please delete.

Let's start from the beginning!

Season 1, Episode 1
Pilot (23 Sep. 2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1256258/

Police consultant Patrick Jane is suspended after inadvertently driving a wife to shoot her devoted husband, by deducing a family drama at first sight. He's soon asked back to the CBI profiling unit, however, for what initially appears to be a victim of the serial killer Red John. He takes extreme risks and uses his dirtiest tricks to solve the sinister, complicated case which involves prescription drug lies and a diary.

Highlights
- The origami frog scene. I liked Lisbon's reaction to this. It seemed natural and spontaneous to me like Tunney didn't really know the frog would jump like that. biggrin
- The introduction of Jane's quirkness with him making a sandwhich and tea in the victim's home. Why don't you make yourself comfortable Jane. And he prepared 2 teas. Like he knew the mother would be going to the kitchen. How did he know? Is he psychic?
- Then he tells us bluntly that there is no such things as psychic.
- Jane's voice when he speaks. It's so calm and hypnotic. Simon is really good at this. I feel bad for those fans who has to watch dubbed episodes. The way Jane speaks is part of his persona.
- The dinner scene with all the CBI team where Jane and Van Pelt argue about the after life and existence of psychics and Jane outing Rigsby. The part where Jane talked about Rigsby and Van Pelt is, IMO, Jane lashing out at the 2 because the 2 kept insisting he is wrong and Jane has a problem with being wrong, it seems, or even accepting any suggestion that he might be wrong. We later see this characteristic of him during the series. This scene showed us that Jane can be cruel when he wants to be.
- "You're a ghoul. If you don't get horny reading Fangoria, then I'm Britney Spears." "He irks me. He's irksome."
- Introduction to Red John and his red smiley.
- Introduction to Jane's tragic past. That last scene in the bedroom with the smiley face, wow. Poor Jane.
- Lisbon cares for Jane because she made an appointment to get Jane help immediately after finding out he did not sleep at all.
- Jane and the psychiatrist. Jane does not like doctors because they think they are the smartest person in the room when obviously that's him.
- Jane looking just adorably dishevled after a sleepless night of writing a fake diary. How meticulous of him.
- When Jane leaned towards Van Pelt and whispered the victim and the brother were lovers. Then Van Pelt replied that Jane must be psychic but just didn't want to admit it. Sometimes, I am inclined to agree.
- Introduction to Cho's deadpans and stoicness
- Liked that it was Cho who called Jane about the possible Red John case. Wonder how long they've known each other. Hope they explore more on how Jan began with CBI.

Lowlights
- Simon's hair looked so artificial here. I understand why but I was still distracted.
- How did Jane know one of the victim was gay? Is he psychic? tongue I wish there were some explanation for this.
- How did he know Van Pelt's dad was a football coach? did he read her personal files?

Mentalism I enjoyed:
- When he was talking to the mom of the dead girl. I liked the part where he was describing the dad as being good to see how the mom would react to it.
- Scene of the fake Red John crime. I like his explanation of why it is not Red John.
- The "telekinesis" trick with the straw during dinner

Message edited by fangs4fun - Thursday, 12-Jul-12, 5:52 AM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 1 » Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot (Episode discussion)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz