Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Not Forgotten
Not Forgotten
JudeBlue Date: Monday, 07-Mar-11, 3:55 PM | Message # 1
Cobber

Not Forgotten is set in Del Rio on the border of Texas and Mexico. A lot of the inhabitants are from
Central America and (for unexplained reasons) many of them have facial differences. Reference is
made early on to the Mexican cult "La Santa Muerte" and this plays a pivotal role in the story.

Jack Bishop (Simon Baker) lives with his second wife Amaya (Paz Vega) and his daughter Toby
(Chloe Moretz). Toby is the daughter from his first marriage - his wife died when Toby was young.

They seem a happy family, Jack is the girls’ football team coach and well known in the area.

One day he turns up for football practise to discover that Toby has gone missing whilst looking for
a ball - and there the story really starts.

Has Toby been abducted by a paedophile? The local deputy sheriff Caspar Navarro (Michael DeLorenzo)
is Amaya’s cousin and is in charge to start off with but soon the FBI become involved when it is clearly a
serious case.

Jack and Sheriff Navarro travel to Mexico in search of clues and it starts to become clear that Jack is
not who he seems to be…………

Simon can act ‘nice family man’ in his sleep but his transformation into menacing thug is impressive.

The plot twists and turns and takes some following but I thought this was an excellent film with fine
performances from all the main characters.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 08-Mar-11, 2:02 AM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Jude, your post has prompted me to finally put some thoughts together on this film.

It's a film I would never have thought to buy if Simon hadn’t been in it, so I was rather surprised to find that, like you, I enjoyed it. On first viewing, I found the story a bit confusing, but I don’t mind that, it makes me want stay watching to find out what happens in the end. So I enjoyed the uncertainty and the twists and turns. And I enjoyed the performances.

Simon is on screen a lot, so it was money well spent as far as I was concerned. And I agree with you about his performance being impressive - it really shows what an incredibly versatile actor he is. I found him convincing as the suburban, slightly controlling husband and father. And I thought he was remarkable as the desperate father and fanatical merciless killer. And yet, as is so often the case with Simon’s characters, on a strange level I still found myself rooting for him.

One of the stand-out scenes for me was at the police station where he thinks they bring in the person who abducted his daughter, and his fury boils over, like a volcano erupting – an incredibly powerful scene where although I think Simon is always totally in control of his performance, it would be easy to believe that he lost control here, particularly as I believe some of the scenery was damaged.

Another part of the film where I think Simon was very impressive, is where he returns to the Mexican town to try and find his daughter. It’s during these scenes that we see the real Jack, and to say he’s not a good man is an understatement. There’s one extremely violent scene, and I hate violence so usually choose not to watch. But in true Simon style, the emphasis during this scene is on Jack’s emotions rather than on the violence itself.

I don’t think it was at all noticeable from watching the film that the Director Dror Soref didn’t get on with Simon. On the Region 1 version of the DVD there's a Director’s commentary and I’ve been told that Soref (and another chap) made some very derogatory remarks about him. (I don’t know if this commentary is still on the latest versions of the DVD, or if they’ve had the sense to remove it).

I think the main reason for the ‘artistic differences’ is that Simon is very committed to his work and likes to use a collaborative approach, whereas I think Soref would have preferred to work with an actor who just hit his marks and did as he was told. Apparently, at one point they mock the fact that Simon felt he could express Jack's emotions better with his eyes than with his lines – this just goes to show what idiots they are, as Simon’s eyes are like windows to his soul and he can express a huge range of emotions with them. I think Simon was also quite protective of Chloe (Jack’s daughter), who he worked with on The Guardian. Simon didn’t want Chloe to have to do a scene towards the end of the film that takes place in a filthy washroom, but he lost that battle.

As I say, I wouldn’t have guessed any of this from Simon’s performance, he gives it his all, but its worth noting that he did nothing to help promote the film.

JudeBlue Date: Tuesday, 08-Mar-11, 8:54 AM | Message # 3
Cobber

Oh yes Fran, that scene where he nuts the glass - he looked terrifyingly angry - like a different person.

Terrific scene.

I don't mind violence if it's an important part of the story and one violent scene has so much more impact than continual gore.

I too felt some sympathy for Jack - who was it who referred to him as a 'snivelling little gringo' when he was a child? Amaya? It's clear from the film that he was made a thug not born one.

JudeBlue Date: Tuesday, 08-Mar-11, 9:08 AM | Message # 4
Cobber

Sounds to me as though Soref is the sort of director who wants a lump of meat for an actor.

Simon's eyes can speak a thousand words, what a stupid man.

I bet that's why Simon enjoys working on TM so much - Bruno respects his talent and experience - and look what an iconic character they have created together.

I read that Not Forgotten went straight to DVD, is that correct? Could that have been as a result of Soref's pettiness?

In an interview - can't remember which one - Simon says that he is often fonder of his less successful films - that he sees them as his 'babies'.

I bet he didn't feel that Not Forgotten was one of his babies.

Sad, coz it's a good film.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 09-Mar-11, 1:44 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

I believe it premiered at the Slamdance Film Festival where it got good reviews and a distributor, but that was followed by a very limited release, before going to DVD in the same year.

Simon didn’t attend the premiere, although the guy who did the violent bathroom scene with him did, and I’ve seen a very brief interview where he called Simon a pussycat. smile

I don’t think Dror Soref has directed anything since, he seems to have a production company now. After his unprofessional behaviour, I should think he would have difficulty finding a decent actor prepared to appear in anything he was directing.

JudeBlue Date: Wednesday, 09-Mar-11, 9:07 AM | Message # 6
Cobber

I reckon production sounds a wise career choice.

fudge

Fran Date: Friday, 11-Mar-11, 7:40 PM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

Quote (JudeBlue)
I too felt some sympathy for Jack - who was it who referred to him as a 'snivelling little gringo' when he was a child? Amaya? It's clear from the film that he was made a thug not born one.

Yes, that remark was very revealing wasn't it. It makes me think I'd like to know more about his past, to better understand what made him what he was. He seemed to have a deeply held belief in Santa Muerte, and yet he gave up that life to protect his daughter, so that she didn't have to experience a similar upbringing to his own. So an interesting mix of good and bad.

I didn't really understand the Santa Muerte stuff, but thought maybe there were some similarities to the Indian Thuggee cult and worshippers of Kali, that John Masters wrote about in The Deceivers. Not really a typical read for me, but I found the book fascinating and compelling.

Whitecat Date: Saturday, 26-Mar-11, 4:35 PM | Message # 8
Blow-In

Gosh,

This movie punched me on the nose….. not that I am not used to see gruesome movies (Taratino smashing heads or The Cohens’ brutal criminals)…. but I really didn’t expect Simon in a movie like this. I mean we have this image of him, being a good father or a funny lover that such a character is very far from this amusing portrait. Anyway I agree with the one of you that said that this performance is a clear sign of his versatility as an actor.

Moreover… I must admit that even if I like Simon the loving parent, I like his devilish side more. Even in TM there are moments in which he really shows a devil side of him, even cruel sometimes and I like HIM so much in that moments. cool Those sparkling eyes are really frightening….
GREAT!

Anyway this movie was a mess. I didn’t know about the problems with the director, good from Simon not to spend himself to promote it and take the distance.

BUT, after watching this and also Judas Kiss, I’d like so much to see SIMON in a good Tarantino or Cohens MOVIE in a badass role, he could be stunning and probably have a lof of fun in doing it…. The complete lack of irony is the real problem of this movie. In my humble opinion.

Lexy shades

Hayseed Date: Thursday, 11-Sep-14, 11:12 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

You all have piqued my interest. I"m going to watch this film.

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 12-Sep-14, 10:45 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Not a masterpiece. The story had great potential, I suppose that was why Simon accepted the role. And a good cast. But the screenplay and the directing are clearly lacking something.

Peithon Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 7:36 PM | Message # 11
Rip Snorter

http://globenewswire.com/news-re....en.html

Boy, he sure sounds different than he did on the DVD commentary....

kim Date: Friday, 04-Sep-15, 4:47 AM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

I thought that Simon was amazing in this film. He was so scary in parts. Not the typical film that I would watch, but like several of you watched because of Simon. I'm glad I did to get to see another facet of him as an actor.

Peithon Date: Thursday, 17-Sep-15, 11:29 PM | Message # 13
Rip Snorter

That was short lived - the Director Soref was just arrested:

http://www.latimes.com/enterta....ry.html

Wand6122360 Date: Friday, 18-Sep-15, 0:47 AM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Considering Soref's belittling comments about Simon, and considering how seriously Simon takes his work, I think this is no surprise. Soref was obviously a jerk of the first order. Karma has swatted him.

Message edited by Wand6122360 - Friday, 18-Sep-15, 0:47 AM

Peithon Date: Friday, 18-Sep-15, 5:40 PM | Message # 15
Rip Snorter

True that! I am still pretty surprised that the DVD distributor allowed such comments to go on the DVD, calling out a well-regarded actor for nothing worse than trying to suggest things to improve the film. They did (director and head writer) however as I recall, say they did take some of his suggestions, but attributed his suggestions to ego. The film itself is no where near as good as it should have been, but Simon wad the best thing about it.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Not Forgotten
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz