The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
tigglewink01 Date: Tuesday, 03-Oct-17, 10:50 PM | Message # 571
Rip Snorter

Here Here I agree with you give him our love and a hug from us all and have a god time

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 06-Oct-17, 0:47 AM | Message # 572
Fair Dinkum

Zürich Film Festival instagram - Simon's talk before the screening

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.288....2_n.mp4

Short Reviews posted after the ZFF premiere:

Vanessa Werder - 5/5 stars
A subtle and simple yet nonetheless touching coming-of-age-story told in a quiet and extremely beautiful atmosphere: wonderful shots, good sound and a sincere cast. Forgive my saying so - I enjoyed it a lot more than the book!

Maite Plimmer, 3/5 stars
The photography was out of this world. The personalities of all involved are so strong. The roles so well portrayed. The father was my favorite character. very traditional and so aware of the danger his son was going towards to but always on standby and trusting his son to find his own voice.
Good acting but It left a bit of a sour taste.

tigglewink01 Date: Friday, 06-Oct-17, 1:31 PM | Message # 573
Rip Snorter

Wow every time I see him with these festivals he seems to change but that speech he looks so cute and I cannot wait to see the film.

Drumstick Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 11:01 AM | Message # 574
Blow-In

A little (quite long) story about my trip to Zürich film Festival.
Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language smile
So, it all started the day I was able to buy the tickets - I´ve been late for work that day just so I could get a hold on them smile The site crashed like 200 times until I was able to do a purchase but after a long, nervous while, I paid for them and rode to work with a smile on my face. I´m going to Zürich to see Breath! I couldn´t believe it.
I still couldn´t believe it after a nine hour shift at work, after which I left my home and sat into a car, ready to drive 1000 km to Zürich. The trip started around midnight and me and my boyfriend drove for about 13 hours, and around three o´clock we almost parked the car at the festival centre.

Literally. Damn that GPS.

After finding a proper parking space, we went to the festival centre by walking this time. I never been to Switzerland before and it is truly a beautiful country. We were mesmerized by it and wanted to see a bit before the movie.
As we were exploring Zürich, other people were getting ready to see Simon. They were standing in the line where he was supposed to walk through. When we got there, there was no space left and it made me kind of sad because I hoped to have my copy of Breath signed by him, but that couldn´t happen as I realized later that I have left it at home.

Great, right?

Never mind, I thought to myself.

I didn´t get any picture with him, but I´m fine with that. I mean, a lot of people were acting a bit crazy in there, and even if having picture with him would mean a lot to me, I wasn´t in there to fight with anyone who thought I was in the way.
Sure, we spent about 24 hours in a car, we have not slept or eaten properly for three days, I forgot my copy of Breath at home, I didn´t get any pictures, I spent my whole paycheck on the way (actually, I am in debt now biggrin ), and I had to go to work just as I got home - only able to take a shower after we arrived - as I was given just one day off.
I am sleep deprived and with no money left until next paycheck.
Maybe you are asking, was it worth it?

Well, absolutely freaking yes.

The movie - Breath - was amazing. It is truly one of those movies - and there is not many of them - which are as good as the book itself. Simon did some seriously great work, as well as Samson Coulter and Ben Spence - their portrayal of Pikelet and Loonie were believable, entertaining and touching. Everything in the movie was just like I imagined it while reading the book.

I´m sure that I don´t need to write about how well Simon portrayed Sando. He fits into the role perfectly and I must confess that I loved that scruffy, manly, look of his.

And the surfing scenes...my God. They gave me goose bumps. As I was watching it, I wished that I could surf, too...to feel the same way they felt. It was amazing.

Even my boyfriend, who is not really a fan of Simon and took me to Zürich just because I asked him to (he´s the best), enjoyed the movie very much and admired Simon´ work.

I truly think this movie deserves recognition around the globe and I sure hope I´ll be able to see it again, this time in cinemas in my country.

Those who read the book knew, that there are few passages in there where you might wonder how it can be put into a movie scene and still be good.
I wondered about it too. Not "if" Simon could manage that, but "how". But he did it. And he did it exceptionally well.

I sure hope he will do another project.

I´ll be saving money, just in case smile

Here are some photos I managed to took smile

Tanja Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 12:11 PM | Message # 575
Rip Snorter

@Drumstick
Wow!!! It's a shame we didn't meet up. I had almost the same stress with work but had to work just 2 hours before trip and two hours after. And my way wasn't that long, just 4 hours by train. You boyfriend is the best in real!!! How lovely of him to drive you there.
I didn't get an autograph as well. Just in the moment he got close to my place a security took him away to the other site from green carpert to other fans.
I feel the same about the movie and actually I tryed to surf few years ago and do it still sometimes. But I live in Southern Germany far away from sea.

tigglewink01 Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 1:44 PM | Message # 576
Rip Snorter

I'm glad you both had a good time thanks for the photos sorry that you could not get close

Tassie Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 3:58 PM | Message # 577
Bee's Knees

Drumstick thank you so much for your story of the journey to see 'Breath' and your feelings about the film-almost made me believe that I had been there. Thanks to you too Tanja, you are both very lucky ladies.

Tanja Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 4:22 PM | Message # 578
Rip Snorter

If you ladies wishing I can post a short review here. But you'll be a little spoiled.

Wand6122360 Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 4:48 PM | Message # 579
Bee's Knees

Hi Tania,
A short review would be much appreciated.

Deedee Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 4:54 PM | Message # 580
Bee's Knees

Thanks both to you Drumstick for your lovely story and review of Breath and also to you too Tanja. Must have been wonderful to have been there and hope you are feeling a little less tired now Drumstick!!
Tanja that would be fantastic if you could write a review. Thanks in anticipation!

tigglewink01 Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 5:00 PM | Message # 581
Rip Snorter

Certainly would I look forward to the review with so much envy but I'm gald you both had a wonderful time.

Tanja Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 5:01 PM | Message # 582
Rip Snorter

Ok, here is it. Sorry for mistakes wink
ATTENTION SPOILER!!!!

Breath in Zurich 5.10.2017 ZFF

The movie is not exactly book abidingly but very close to it. Here and there some interchanged scenes.
I have to admit I’m really proud of both boys who played their roles so well. Especially Pikelet. His
facial expressions !!! You could feel with him literally.
You can see the different way the boys going. Loonie is between risk and fun but Pikelet is between awestricken of the fear and excitement. He is more the thinker.
I was surprised what a lovely role Simon had. I remember he was in book a little bit unapproachable but in the movie he had a mentor actually like a father role. We see Sando often and often close up. His facial expressions were fantastic. You feel literally he has a lot of fun and his heart is full in it.
The surf scenes just gorgeous. You feel sometimes you’re in the waves yourself, you can smell the sea and feel salt water on the skin. Ricifici did a great job! It’s a lot of close up moments of the waves and big wave surf scenes. I have read somewhere that Fitzgerald was a stuntman for Simon in the big waves. They filmed it so well you just see Simon surfing.
The sex scenes were pretty discreet. Here was a scene with Sando and Eva you just see them moving behind the curtain. The scenes between Pikelet and Eva showing moving scenes, close up of Eva’s head with a plastic bag on it.
For Eva it was a game. She made Pikelet addicted to sex. Poor teenager.
You don’t see Sando and Loonie as long as the love thing between Eva and Pikelet going on. (About 20 minutes)
We get to see some scenes with Pikelet his father and sometimes we see his mother.
Loonie will find his end like in the book.
Well, I hope everyone will get to see the movie soon.

Wand6122360 Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 5:28 PM | Message # 583
Bee's Knees

Thanks,Tanja. Nice review!

bee Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 7:03 PM | Message # 584
Fair Dinkum

Thank you Drumstick for your story, and I have to say you have a very understanding boyfriend! Tanja your review makes me even more excited to see the film (if that's possible). Too bad we have to wait 'til next year! Was Simon the only one there connected to the film?

Tanja Date: Saturday, 07-Oct-17, 7:07 PM | Message # 585
Rip Snorter

@bee
I'm glad you liked it smile Yes Simon was the only one from the film crew there.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz