Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon Trivia & Chat
Simon Trivia & Chat
DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 05-Jul-14, 9:37 PM | Message # 526
Fair Dinkum

Quote Tassie ()
tinamarianne I think perhaps you've overdone it. I can smell the wonderful scent from here and I'm in Scotland.

hands
It's because it's rather windy at the moment.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Saturday, 05-Jul-14, 9:38 PM

Tina Date: Saturday, 05-Jul-14, 11:00 PM | Message # 527
Fair Dinkum

Haha, Tassie. Yes I might have sprayed a bit much here in my hotelroom in Switzerland. Guess my neighbor here might smell it too, maybe the whole hotel. But it is such a good fragrance.

Tanja Date: Sunday, 06-Jul-14, 4:37 PM | Message # 528
Rip Snorter

I don't know if somebody knows that but some German Mentalistas met yestarday in the North of Germany. We posted also pics on Twitter. We went to perfume shop and sprayed us with Givenchy Intense biggrin We smelled all sooooo good ! I think about buying too but my hubs doesn't like it surprised

By the way here is the pic from our Mentalista meeting

Message edited by Tanja - Sunday, 06-Jul-14, 10:29 PM

Fran Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 11:04 AM | Message # 529
Fair Dinkum

Uninteresting article about a new non-Simon ANZ New Zealand ad campaign, but it does mention that Simon "will return for more ads in the future, with the TBWA creative director saying that he remains an important part of the brand."
http://www.stoppress.co.nz/blog/2014/07/part-two-anz-campaign

(Hope you had fun at your meet-up Tanja)

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:43 PM | Message # 530
Rip Snorter

Thank you Fran! We had much fun together! Wish that other Mentalistas and Simon fans would meet each other too.

Evy Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:43 PM | Message # 531
Fair Dinkum

Pubished on the magazine "L’Expansion Tendances N 32" - June 2014
source sarapettarini.tumblr.com

Extracts (sorry if my translation is clumsy) :
Luxury brands are just beginning to choose television actors to embody their beauty products, just like Givenchy. Explanations.

Quotes
Simon Baker : "The success of "The Mentalist" especially in France, is huge. There are more people in front of their TV every week than in front of a film.
The choice of Givenchy has of course an economic dimension.
I'd love to think I'm unique, but somebody else would have been able to perform the contract."

Thierry Maman Givenchy : " We wish to highlight the core values ​​of the home, a man chic with an aristocratic and elegant side.
Simon baker's character in the series has all these qualities. He is always "dressed up to the nines" and seductive."

Message edited by Evy - Monday, 16-Jun-14, 10:53 PM

Tina Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:43 PM | Message # 532
Fair Dinkum

I just have to say it again: French people have very good taste! I'm happy TM is so successful there!
I wish it was like that in the USA. Well, it was at the beginning. But CBS ruined it.

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:43 PM | Message # 533
Fair Dinkum

I've made an english translation of the article (I apologise for any english mistakes in it…) posted by Evy here http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/forum/2-105-15412-16-1404902615
It's not really about Simon but it's interesting anyway, regarding TV actors and the fashion industry.

LUXURY BRANDS JUST BEGIN TO CHOOSE TV ACTORS TO EMBODY THEIR BEAUTY PRODUCTS , LIKE GIVENCHY. EXPLANATIONS.

Wide shot. Beverly Hills, February 2014, the evening sun illuminates a villa overlooking Los Angeles. A man is shooting an advertising campaign. He's wearing a suit, he is seducing a woman, he is handsome, manly...
The audience, watching the picture, will want to resemble him and (therefore?) buy the fragrance he praises. Nothing revolutionary on an advertising level.
In the city of film industry, the one that plays the muse role is - necessarily - a…TV actor. It's Australian Simon Baker, best known for his role in the "Mentalist" series than for his fleeting appearances in movies.
It is a fact: after the wave of sportsmen - swimmers, rugbymen, etc.. - embodying men's fragrances, this is the era of TV series heroes as beauty ambassadors. Simon Baker is one of the pioneers in this field. A few others have paved the way: Patrick Dempsey, the romantic doctor from "Grey's Anatomy" was spokesman for a hair dyeing product, while James Denton, the "Desperate Housewives" plumber, once embodied a clothing brand.
TV heroines who pocketed a contract are more rare: Allison Williams, from "Girls", and Lea Michele (Glee) are the only ones, and their deals are restricted to the United States. In short, the television actor has slowly started to become a bankable ambassador. A clarification in three points.

TV SERIES HAVE BECOME COOL
If people are finally interested in actors coming from the small screen, it's because in the past few years, TV series went from "super cheesy" to "uber cool". The major reason of this positive change: the boundaries between the Movie world and TV is becoming increasingly blurred. Many movie directors have turned their attention towards television. Today, to develop a deep plot and complex characters is no longer the priority of movie studios, explains David Fincher, director of "House of Cards", to Vanity Fair. TV offers a much more interesting time-space. Thierry Maman, CEO of Parfums Givenchy, did get it very well.
"The huge hits and the growing range of current TV shows are not a coincidence. The rules of American films regarding moral and censorship for a certain audience are very strict. On television, with the different types of channels (cable or broadcast networks), writers are freer. Some great directors have found a new field of expression and gave their letters of nobility to the TV series. Their perception - and their audience - has completely changed."
With critical success over the last decade, thanks to HBO, series have attracted movie actors. Now they no longer play in a series to relaunch a career that has hit rock bottom. The two most commented shows of the moment prove it, with two Oscar winners as main character: Kevin Spacey, in the excellent "House of Cards" and Matthew McConaughney, which lends his thinness to a dilapidated investigator in "True Detective", this year revelation.
The fifty something housewife who fell asleep watching "Dallas" is far, far away.

SERIES RAKE AN INCREDIBLY HUGE AUDIENCE
If "The Mentalist" is not the most creative, it's one of the most watched TV shows in France. At the start of 2014, the sixth season* reaches 6 million viewers every saturday night, more than 20% of audience share (Source Médiamétrie, January 20, 14)**.
It's not the only series in this case: those wich find their public in the US are broadcast all around the world a few months later. People who download the episodes from internet create a buzz for the insiders, and generate a need for fans. One doesn't watch an episode anymore, but devours entire seasons, like packets of cookies. All thanks to well-oiled cliffhangers (suspense tricks at the end of an episode) that feed this hunger. Long term success guaranteed, a perfect thing for brands. Simon Baker himself acknowledges it:
"The success of "The Mentalist" in France is enormous! There are more people in front of their TV screen watching it each week than watching a movie. Of course, the choice of Givenchy has an economic dimension. I would love to think I'm unique, but someone else could fulfill the contract."
However, the audience is not everything. Dark super heroes like "Dexter", or more recently "Breaking Bad" for example, revered by critics, have not generated much interest from the brands. Physical and consensual image are the key. "We chosed Simon because he embodies the values ​​that we wanted to convey", says Thierry Maman. "Moreover, at the time of our decision, the series did not yet have this success. "

SERIES HAVE EASILY IDENTIFIABLE HEROES
It's ready-to-pose fashion! The polls show it: the audience feels empathy and closeness to the main character, sometimes more than with a movie actor. Especially when the character and the man who embodies him merge into one.
Thierry Maman agrees: "With Gentlemen Only Intense, we wanted to highlight the core values ​​of the company, a man with an aristocratic chic and an elegant side. Simon Baker's character in the series has these qualities. He is impeccably dressed, courteous and very seductive. So, we conevy our message in a clear and direct manner." This saves time and money: with an unknown model, caricatural visual signifiers would have had to be created in order to" build "a gentleman, to invest over the long term... Last asset: even rather popular, TV actors are almost virgins, partnership-wise. "This is important, because it helps to establish extended contracts. We could create a saga with Simon, imagine several facets of the gentleman, like several episodes of the same series." The circle is complete.

* Lots of errors here. The 6th season has not yet been broadcast in France.
** In 2014, TF1 broadcast only reruns, that still reach an average of 6 millions viewers, making more than 23% of audience share. And not on saturdays but wednesdays, and sundays now. The Season 5 was broadcast from September 2013 to 1st January 2014, and total up an average of 7.95 million viewers, with 30.2 % of audience share. It's the biggest hit for a Series on french TV, all French channels taken together.

Evy Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:44 PM | Message # 534
Fair Dinkum

@ DS_Pallas : up

Wand6122360 Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:44 PM | Message # 535
Bee's Knees

Thanks for taking the time to do such a great translation of this article, DS_Pallas. It is a very interesting read and your English is excellent.

KathyF Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:44 PM | Message # 536
Rip Snorter

No, you did a wonderful job! I couldn't do that!

Hayseed Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:44 PM | Message # 537
Bee's Knees

Thanks DS_Pallas!

Tina Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:44 PM | Message # 538
Fair Dinkum

Thank you DS Pallas. I know how much work it is to translate such a long text! But it's always nice to have an English translation.

bee Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:44 PM | Message # 539
Fair Dinkum

Many thanks DS Pallas for the translation, much appreciated. smile

amanda Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14, 12:45 PM | Message # 540
Cobber

Thanks Evy to have posted the article and DS Pallas for the translation. wink

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon Trivia & Chat
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz