Thursday, 02-May-24, 7:37 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
Sun Date: Tuesday, 27-May-14, 9:53 AM | Message # 196
Cobber

I can read it perfectly here, but if one might want to download it, be aware that the article is composed of four parts which has to be copied separately.
Thanks for posting, Fran!

Oh yes, the famous "sense of authenticity" we do love so much in Simon!

Fran Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 9:14 AM | Message # 197
Fair Dinkum

The Star Online article May 28, 2014 by Chester Chin (from earlier Longines Press Conference)

Simon Baker: The practical man

The actor is constantly looking for new opportunities that help him grow.

SIMON Baker makes absolutely no pretences about his minimal knowledge of watches and watchmaking. A little ironic when you think about it, considering how the Australian actor has been Longines Ambassador of Elegance since 2012.

“I’ve told Longines that I didn’t know much about watches and watchmaking. However, I’ve always admired the engineering, detail and precision of watches and watchmaking,” he says during an interview in his suite at the Four Seasons Sydney.

“It’s one of those things where the opportunity presented itself and I’m really lucky,” Baker adds after a brief pause.

It would be incredibly unfair though to brush off Baker’s partnership with the luxury Swiss watchmaker as a venture made purely on the basis of convenience. The man says plenty of thought and consideration took place before he inked the deal with the company.

Alas, it was Hallmark-y copywriting that helped Baker decide.

“My wife gave me a card when I was about 25 and it read, ‘Opportunity having knocked, moves on’. That really kind of clicked with me. So I’m always trying to stay open to different opportunities and experiences,” he says.

One can’t fault Longines for wanting to work together with the 44-year-old. In person, Baker was pleasant and displayed no air that’s sometimes associated with A-listers of his stature. The formality began and ended with the dashing grey suit and matching teal tie he wore.

The actor punctuates his responses with a toothy grin that would no doubt sets the hearts of the fairer sex aflutter – an inference that’s validated by some female media members in the room who couldn’t resist giggling throughout the interview.

“I don’t know what characteristics of mine matches with the brand,” he says with a laugh. When a Longines representative suggests that he’s supportive, Baker’s face lit up. “Supportive? Yeah, I love that word!” he exclaims.

“Here’s the thing, characteristics-wise, I’m a practical person. What I like about watches is that at the end of the day, it’s a timepiece. It’s a piece of jewellery but it is born out of a practical idea,” he offers.

“Every Longines piece has movements that consist of tiny little parts that have to work together. There’s something beautifully practical about that. It’s not fashion, it can be, but it’s timeless,” he adds.

As one of the international faces of Longines, Baker holds to heart Longines’ tagline of ‘Elegance is an attitude’.

“I believe it is really about how one see themselves, how they carry themselves and feel about their own particular style. It’s about comfort and confidence in yourself as a person as opposed to having to fit into any kind of category or keep up with anyone else,” he says.

Baker believes that elegance is something that’s both innate as well as cultivated.

“I’m kind of a bit of an optimist, so I look at things like manners and courtesy or ease and openness. When I say openness, it’s like a friendliness that I think is elegant without being too forceful,” he offers.

“Elegance is also one of those things where it’s in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think it’s more about your personal state of mind,” he adds.

Born in Lauceston, Tasmania, Baker was delighted when he learned of Longines’ involvement with the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

“I was a little bit excited by the idea that I could have a little trip to Australia and be host in my city. Australians really like horse racing and they really like celebrating. To me, it’s a perfect marriage. I get to be home and I get to feel proud of my city,” he says.

A Golden Globe and Emmy nominated actor, Baker has an impressive background that encompasses both film and television. He’s currently seen on the small screen portraying independent “psychic” consultant Patrick Jane in the popular series The Mentalist.

“There is a practicality to television which has been very beneficial to me and my family because I’m based in one place. That’s been great for my kids. The last six years of my life, it’s really important for me to be close to my kids,” he reveals.

However, Baker says he remains open to any new opportunities that may arise in both his personal and professional life.

“It’s my approach to life in that way. You constantly make decisions whether it’s small or big. A decision that is small could result in something big and sometimes you just don’t know. That is why I always try to stay pretty open,” he concludes.
http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifesty....cal-man

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 10:21 AM | Message # 198
Rip Snorter

Thank you for posting! Very nice interview! Typically Simon Baker, how we know and love him for that smile

Fran Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 10:26 AM | Message # 199
Fair Dinkum

There's another Star Online article with some reference to Simon 'The classy Longines-Queen Elizabeth Stakes deal'

Excerpt:
The day’s allure was further elevated with the presence of Longines Ambassador of Elegance Simon Baker. The lead of hit television series The Mentalist caught the race from one of the racecourse’s upstairs ballrooms, next to the one which housed Australian prime minister Tony Abbott.

Earlier in the day, the 44-year-old actor said that he’s delighted to have Longines present at his home city.

“I get to see my city put its best foot forward and see it in a great light. That feels really really cool,” he says.

“You get to see how festive Australians get because they really embrace the idea of having a good time. We’re kind of professional at it,” he adds.

However, the Tasmania native was there for more than just a flutter on the horses. Baker presented Melissa Hann – winner of the Longines Award of Elegance competition – with a precious timepiece from the Conquest Classic collection. The 31-year-old Hann was one of six finalists and hailed as the most elegant lady at the race.
http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifesty....es-deal

Mossibecca Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 11:48 AM | Message # 200
Bee's Knees

I think it is so touching, how proud he is of Australia, and how he is also proud to BE Australian, and to stand up and be counted!!

bee Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 3:53 PM | Message # 201
Fair Dinkum

I agree about him being proud of his Australian roots and I love the fact that he still calls Australia "home" in his interviews although he now lives mainly in America. There was talk of him applying for US Citizenship some time ago and I know that some of his Australian friends were a little surprised about this. Did he in fact apply in the end, I can't remember?

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 4:18 PM | Message # 202
Rip Snorter

I agree with you both. I like people who lives far away from home and proud of their roots anyway. Simon speaks always lovely about Australia and maybe he will back there one day.

And I want say Hello!

I'm German woman and love Simon Baker, The Mentalist, The Guardian and all other things with Simon.
I'm happy to be here with other Simon fans!

Message edited by Tanja - Wednesday, 28-May-14, 4:40 PM

Tassie Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 4:51 PM | Message # 203
Bee's Knees

Nice to have you with us Tanja-a very warm welcome.

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 5:02 PM | Message # 204
Rip Snorter

Thank you Tassie ! Happy to share my Simon addiction with others happy

Tina Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 8:01 PM | Message # 205
Fair Dinkum

Hi Tanja smile
Welcome. I'm sure you love it here. I'm from Germany too.

marta75 Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 8:24 PM | Message # 206
Rip Snorter

Welcome Tanja in our mentalist family smile

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 28-May-14, 8:33 PM | Message # 207
Rip Snorter

Thank you very much marta75 and danke schön tinamarianne smile

Evy Date: Friday, 30-May-14, 6:16 PM | Message # 208
Fair Dinkum

Found on Instagram (source Tania @aliah_mps )
Ad Givenchy everywhere in the station "Gare de l'Est" in Paris

amanda Date: Friday, 30-May-14, 8:31 PM | Message # 209
Cobber

Incredible ! You go to take your train and Simon, Simon, Simon ...... biggrin biggrin
Thanks Evy for sharing.

Message edited by amanda - Friday, 30-May-14, 8:32 PM

marta75 Date: Friday, 30-May-14, 9:18 PM | Message # 210
Rip Snorter

Thanks Evy (before it was Gare de Lyon now it's la Gare de l'Est ! Ils sont fous ces français biggrin )

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz