Tuesday, 14-May-24, 4:52 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
Ivana Date: Thursday, 21-Jan-16, 8:54 PM | Message # 1216
Fair Dinkum

http://thementalistfandom.tumblr.com/

bee Date: Thursday, 21-Jan-16, 10:45 PM | Message # 1217
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for the articles Ivana.

Tina Date: Friday, 22-Jan-16, 8:52 AM | Message # 1218
Fair Dinkum

That's a great article! Thank you Ivana. I love Nick Fallin!

Deedee Date: Friday, 22-Jan-16, 9:27 AM | Message # 1219
Bee's Knees

Thanks for both articles Ivana.

Ivana Date: Tuesday, 02-Feb-16, 10:45 PM | Message # 1220
Fair Dinkum

FIRST LOOK: Givenchy Gentlemen Only Parisian Break

Gentlemen Only Parisian Break, announced as the glow of elegance and freshness, represents an invitation to a summer morning stroll along the river of Seine. The fragrance comes out in the spring of 2016 and is a refreshing, tonic eau de toilette for a gentleman at all times.

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy from 2013 was a modern homage to the classic Givenchy Gentlemen perfume from 1974. Gentlemen Only Intense was launched in early 2014, followed by Gentlemen Only Casual Chic in 2015.

The composition is a citrus – aromatic – woody. It opens with tonic accords of Nepal mint and lemon. The aromatic heart of sage extends the freshness of the scent. Haitian vetiver is mixed with ambroxan at the base, creating sensual elegance, distinctive for the Gentlemen Only line.

The bottle of the standard design is decorated with a sketch showing the Seine, near l’Ile de la Cité where the cathedral of Notre Dame is located. The fragrance is available as a 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

www.givenchy.com
http://www.dutyfreehunter.com/blog....n-break

Ivana Date: Thursday, 04-Feb-16, 5:19 PM | Message # 1221
Fair Dinkum

Simon Baker named as Tropfest celebrity judge

FEBRUARY 4, 20163:46PM

SIMON Baker has been confirmed as a celebrity judge for the resurrected Tropfest, to be held at Centennial Parklands on Valentine’s Day.
The Mentalist star is gearing up to make his directorial debut — a film adaptation of Tim Winton’s novel Breath — in West Australia later this year.
Also on the panel to decide which of the 16 Tropfest finalists takes home the coveted fruity trophy are Rebecca Gibney, cinematographer Don McAlpine and director Jocelyn Moorhouse, whose gothic comedy The Dressmaker has taken more than $20 million at the box office to become one of the Top 10 Australian films of all time.
The popular event was cancelled in November when founder John Polson made the shock announcement that a debt “well into six figures” had led to the festival being scrapped.
Less than a month later, CGU Insurance threw the festival a lifeline.
Polson thanked the insurance company for its financial support, calling it “the comeback story of the decade”.
Established in 1993, the short film festival is expected to attract a live national audience of about 150,000 people.
The Tropfest finalists will be broadcast live on SBS 2 and in a number of theatres across Australia, thanks to a partnership with Event Cinemas.

http://www.news.com.au/enterta....lic_rss

Ivana Date: Thursday, 04-Feb-16, 5:21 PM | Message # 1222
Fair Dinkum

Tropfest announces Simon Baker, Rebecca Gibney and Jocelyn Moorhouse as judges

February 5, 2016 - 12:15AM

As the revived Tropfest launched a crowdfunding campaign to "think big into the future", the famous short film festival has announced the judges who will decide this year's winner.
The Mentalist star Simon Baker will be joined by Rebecca Gibney​ from Packed to the Rafters and Wanted, Jocelyn Moorhouse, the director of The Dressmaker, and cinematographer Don McAlpine, who shot both that hit film and Moulin Rouge, on the judging panel in Centennial Park on Sunday week.
After weeks of uncertainty about whether the festival would go ahead, the 16 finalists will compete for $10,000 cash plus a trip to Los Angeles to meet with industry executives and other prizes.

With a large crowd expected in Sydney and live sites around the country, the festival will be broadcast on SBS2.
Advertisement

After being cancelled less than a month before it was due to be held in December, Tropfest was only revived when new sponsor CGU Insurance emerged from a wave of goodwill around the country.
The festival that began in a Kings Cross cafe in 1993 appeared destined for extinction when founder John Polson discovered a debt "well into six figures" in discussions with the management company that ran the event.

"This disaster was due to an outrageous mismanagement of Tropfest funds by the company that was entrusted to manage the event, a situation which is now being dealt with behind the scenes," said Polson in an email to launch the crowdfunding campaign.
The festival is aiming to raise $100,000 through a Pozible campaign to "design and build its future."
"Funds raised through crowdfunding will be used to cover the cost of the strategic review, governance review, some vital audience research and focus groups and developing a business model that is genuinely sustainable," the festival said on the site.
"We need to find new partners and new ways of funding what we do best while remaining true to our values of inclusivity and accessibility."
Baker, who is preparing to shoot a film based on Tim Winton's novel Breath in Western Australia, was one of the first people to call Polson offering help when he heard about the cancellation.
"I felt really sad," he said. "Not just for the filmmakers that were [finalists this year] but for the filmmakers of the future that show up and get inspired and go out and do something."
A long-time fan of Tropfest, Baker once considered entering a film before he went to the US to work.
"I went to the second festival," he said. "I just remember what an inspiring idea it was and what I took away from it was belief that you can just go out and do stuff.
"Back in those days, a lot of people were talking about movies they wanted to make and no one had any money: 'I've got an idea for a short film'.
"Then Tropfest came along and there was a platform – a deadline, a goal – for people to go for."
The festival has announced that the entertainment on February 14, after Trop Jr returns from 11am, includes performances by rock duo Winterbourne, DJ-singer KLP and Preatures singer Gideon Bensen, photo booths, bubble soccer and an attempt to break a world record for a pyjama party.

http://www.smh.com.au/enterta....DVogsFm

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 04-Feb-16, 5:33 PM | Message # 1223
Fair Dinkum

Cool… I guess we'll see some Simon's photos mid-february!

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 11-Feb-16, 6:05 PM | Message # 1224
Fair Dinkum

Update on TROPFEST 2016:

Mel Gibson joins Baker, Gibney, McAlpine, Moorhouse at Tropfest

http://if.com.au/2016....twitter

Ivana Date: Friday, 12-Feb-16, 6:26 AM | Message # 1225
Fair Dinkum

Many thanks to wonderful Sara Pettarini. She translated interview from italian magazine Style dated December 2015.
http://sarapettarini.tumblr.com/post/139144950574

This is the same article I have already posted from italian magazine Style dated December 2015. It took me long but I finally found some time to post better scans and a rough translation. I apologize for any mistake and I thanks Lara for the help.

Picture caption: Australian actor and director Simon Baker, 46 years old. He is a horse lover and Longines ambassador.

A cute rebel - just like you

Star of The Mentalist", heartthrob and “In love with Italy”

For “The Los Angeles Times” he is - almost irresistible -: “thanks to my wife”

By Stefano Semeraro

“The Los Angeles Times” has called him “almost irresistible” and when you see him entering a room full of women of all ages, you can figure out why. Even if he wears square black framed glasses like Clark Kent, Simon Baker simply magnetizes the audience. The girls leave their dates alone at the table and try to get a selfie with him. Elderly ladies can’t take her eyes off him. The next step is discovering that Baker, aka Patrick Jane, the charming and eccentric mental-investigator who is the lead of “The Mentalist”, one of the most popular television series in recent years - not only is a good actor, but he also is a nice guy. Always smiling, down to earth as often Australians are, and he does not behave like a star at all. He is “in Love with Italy”, which he has visited many times with his wife Rebecca Rigg and their three children.

“In Italy, I like the people, the warmth,” he says, and his blue eyes shine. “The Italian culture is similar to Australian culture. Like you we are warm people, we value friendship a lot, and we love to keep strong ties. And talking about food, Italian cuisine is undoubtedly the best, but most of all I like the way the family is important for italian people. I travel a lot with my children, and every time I came to Italy, I am relieved, because as soon as we enter a restaurant the people are all smiles, they take care of your children, and give you one of their best tables. In many other countries instead, when they see that you have three children, they put you in some corner, because they are afraid you can annoy the other guests.

My secret is Rebecca. Taking care of the family this way is true love.

- You have three children Harry Friday, whose godmother is Nicole Kidman, Claude Blue, whose godmother is Naomi Watts and Stella Breeze, the eldest: how do you manage to conciliate a big family with your work of actor and director?

- There is no secret. My wife helps me so much. And you have to learn to delegate things. After all, I could not have done this job if I weren’t sure that Rebecca can manage everything when I’m not with them. There are so many ways to love each others, raising and taking care of a family is one of them. Marriage has also logistical aspects, is almost like a firm. Sometimes things go smoothly (laughs), and sometimes less .

- By seeing you in the very singular role of Patrick Jane,we wouldn’t have guessed this patriarchal side of you.

- There are other aspects of myself that I share with Jane. To define this character, I focused on some aspects of my personality and I transferred them on him. Let’s say, for example, that he has my rebellious side, and my sense of humor, but both of them much amplified. He is a fun guy and playing this role was such a rich and gratifying experience for me.

- Was?” So, “The Mentalist”, to the great regret of all your fans, is definitely a closed chapter?

- Yes, it is. I do not think that it will be ever opened again. My next project is a movie I’m going to direct and to act in, shooting will probably start by the first months of 2016, in Australia. The title is “Breath”, like the book it is based on, written by Tim Winton, our most famous living novelist. In Australia, this book was a huge success. It tells the story of two teenagers from Western Australia in the mid-70s, who love surfing and have to deal with life. It is a story I feel so close to me because it dig deep within and gives an indication of the precariousness of our existence.

- You starred in some successful movies, in Italy we know you for “The Devil Wears Prada” and “L.A.Confidential.”, and you also are a television star. Do you think that the new much appreciated TV series are replacing movies in the imagination of the audience?

- I don’t know if today television series are more important than movies. I think movies can’t be replaced. Television is more available, but my favorite film in recent years, “The Great Beauty” by Paolo Sorrentino must be seen on the big screen. It is important you can not ignore the intensity of vision that gives you a movie on the big screen. Of course It is true that today’s TV shows allow to explore in depth a story through various episodes. In a movie all ends after two hours. In addition Also recently we have seen a lot of films based on television series. In the end, I believe, there is a sort of mutual exchange between the two media.

- You mentioned Sorrentino. Would you like to work with him?

- Yes absolutely. I love his photography, his sense of cinema fascinates me. I believe that today he is the most visually interesting director. He sees things and knows how to convert them into images that really affects me.

- Your colleague Patrick Dempsey, who acted in “Grey’s Anatomy” for several years, decided to devote himself to car racing and competed at «Le Mans». You, as Longines ambassador, have attended many races. Are you are able to ride an horse?

- Yes I love to ride horses and I like them. But most of all I like the races for their festive atmosphere, the people, the energy emanating from the bids. Thanks to Longines, I had the opportunity to appreciate different kinds of races: Chantilly - very French, “Royal Ascot” - classic British tradition. And I do love this aspect. And the thrill of betting excites me: my whole career has been a bet some way. And sometimes I win.

- You look great in tight coat and cylinder hat. What is your attitude towards fashion?

- I’d say I like the balance between comfort and elegance.

- Australian pragmatism.

- Well, everyone thinks that we are very practical. But it is not always the case. Even if we like we are seen this way.

- Australians are also athletic. It is true that you used to play rugby?

- During the middle school years. My role was fly-half, number 10. A role in which you need to think very quickly (he winks).

I have played rugby in a movie and I ended up naked…

- Once you also played a rugby player on a serie, in a very particular situation.

- Yes in an episode of the serie «Naked» in the mid-90s. It was a surreal scene. The story was about the captain of a rugby team, a very tough guy. At one point my character ended up in a scrum and, when the others took off, I was there completely naked except for my shoes and a bandana, folded into a fetal position. I shot with professional rugby players, in appearance the roughest people that I have ever known. When they took off from the pile of bodies, they did it in silence with great respect, and in the end they applauded me. I admit, I was moved.

- Can I get rid of a curiosity? As rugby player who is stronger, you or Russell Crowe, Australian too but born in New Zealand, who also has a rugby 13 team?

- The truth? Russell is a tough guy. I do not think it would be easy to tackle him, now, for a family man like me…

Tina Date: Friday, 12-Feb-16, 8:58 AM | Message # 1226
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for all the info smile !

bee Date: Friday, 12-Feb-16, 10:08 AM | Message # 1227
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Ivana and Sara Pettarini for the translation!

Smileygirl Date: Friday, 12-Feb-16, 12:46 PM | Message # 1228
Dinkie-Di

Simon finally went surfing again biggrin
I fear I won´t become a beard fan, ever wink
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb....ch.html

bee Date: Friday, 12-Feb-16, 12:54 PM | Message # 1229
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for the pics Smileygirl...I agree with you about the beard but this is exactly how I imagine Sando to be!

Hayseed Date: Friday, 12-Feb-16, 2:25 PM | Message # 1230
Bee's Knees

Thank you for the translation of the article! Much appreciated.

And yowzah! on the new surfing pics. Sando is born. I know some here don't like the scruffy look, but I love it, and I can't wait to see what Baker does with this story.

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz