Monday, 29-Apr-24, 2:35 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
bee Date: Wednesday, 06-May-15, 8:01 AM | Message # 886
Fair Dinkum

Apparently TM Season 7 DVD is now available to pre-order (released on 20th July 2015) from Amazon in UK at an unbelievable price of £35.42 for just 13 episodes!! Extortionate comes to mind! wacko

Message edited by bee - Wednesday, 06-May-15, 8:07 AM

kim Date: Wednesday, 06-May-15, 11:21 PM | Message # 887
Bee's Knees

Yes I think that they really are gouging people on this final season. I had pre-ordered from amazon, they lowered the price when they shipped the dvd to me so I got a small refund! Maybe that will happen for everyone!

Ivana Date: Thursday, 07-May-15, 5:41 PM | Message # 888
Fair Dinkum

Thanks to Sara Pettarini, scan of interview in TV Times from 2002
http://sarapettarini.tumblr.com/post/118344236669/2002

kim Date: Friday, 08-May-15, 4:25 AM | Message # 889
Bee's Knees

Thanks Ivana! That article reads like pure Simon.

Wand6122360 Date: Friday, 08-May-15, 12:56 PM | Message # 890
Bee's Knees

Thanks Ivana, for posting this great interview. I guess Simon Baker was used to being a sex symbol by the time he became The Mentalist.

redbird Date: Friday, 08-May-15, 2:51 PM | Message # 891
Dinkie-Di

I don't think he thought of himself as a sex symbol but I do think that he's always known that he's a really attractive, desirable man. "Sex symbol" is kind of a cocky, egotistical term and I've never gotten the impression that he's that kind of guy.

Juney Date: Friday, 08-May-15, 2:55 PM | Message # 892
Bee's Knees

Is there any way to enlarge this article. My eyesight is not so good.

kim Date: Friday, 08-May-15, 5:40 PM | Message # 893
Bee's Knees

Juney I hope this helps! And sorry for any typos- it's not my forte.

In a restaurant at Manhattan's Four Season's Hotel, where an iced tea costs as much as lunch in most places, the well- heeled patrons chat quietly. In the back of the room, a man who looks rather out of place slumps into a banquette.

Simon Baker, star of "The Guardian" that airs on CBS, wear a faded black shirt, striped jeans and work boots. He drinks water by the carafe, and mostly goes unnoticed. But as he makes frequent trips to the rest rooms, the mirrored walls reflect the stir he creates among the female patrons as he unassumingly walks by.

In an industry where being beautiful pretty much is a job requirement, the 32 year-old Baker is stunning. And as good as he looks on TV, he looks even better in person, with sun-streaked blond hair and aqua-blue eyes. "I'm on f-ing holiday, baby" he says interference to his reddish beard.

Baker is on hiatus from playing Nick Fallin, the slick, clean shaven corporate lawyer whose drug conviction landed him 1500 hours of community service as a child advocate in lieu of jail.

Earlier this year Baker raised some eyebrows when he revealed that he doesn't use deodorant in a profile in People magazine, which included him in it's issue showcasing the 50 most beautiful people in the world. His reasoning is that drinking enough water flushes out impurities, making toiletries unnecessary. Just after that issue hit the stands, Baker, who admits to being shy, appeared on "The View." The hostesses of the daytime TV series, who are anything but shy, sniffed his armpits. "That was charming" he says in a tone that leaves no doubt he was horrified.

Baker says he does not see himself as a sex symbol, regardless of how women react to him. "When I was younger, I was more concerned about the way I looked and my physical appearance," he says. "I've bred. I found my mate and I bred and the only concern I have about physical appearance these days is that I can't have too much of a beer gut because it hurts my back. I can't get out of shape for the job. I am what I am. I'm an actor and what comes along with that is a certain amount of kudos and public awareness. It's healthier to shift the focus away from yourself. The best thing you can do for your children is to give them your attention."

He and his wife, Rebecca Rigg, were traveling with their youngest, Harry Friday. Born in September, his middle name comes from the day of the weeks on which it was chosen. Harry's two older siblings, 8 year old Stella Breeze and 3 year old Claude, were home in Los Angeles.

Baker enjoys spending time kicking the ball around with Claude, and happily reports that he's teaching Stella to surf. At the moment, however, he is delighted to be in Manhattan to attend "Top Dog/Underdog" starring his friend Jeffrey Wright.

"This place is buzzing because it has an epicenter," Baker says of Manhattan. "L.A. is a void. The focal point of L.A. is cumulative bank accounts. In Sydney, people walk around. You don't see people walking in L.A., unless they have a belt with water and all their little power accessories."

Baker misses the pubs, neighborhood coffee houses and community feel of his homeland. He speaks in a thick Australian accent that he manages to stifle when portraying Americans. Though born in Tasmania, he grew up in New South Whales in Byron Bay. He's an accomplished swimmer, who used to compete on water polo. "Wouldn't be able to get my head above water now," he says.

That was pretty much how Baker felt about work this year. "It's relentless," he says of "The Guardian. " "It's five days a week, but Friday will bleed truly into Saturday. We shoot one hour every eight days. The first two to three weeks of the season, I had a headache constantly.

"There was so much to deal with it was just hurting my brain. I had brain aches. I thought I made a mistake, at times. I'm a realist. I really enjoy what I do. I made the decision to do what I do because I love being an actor."

Baker became interested in acting as a child, though it was not considered a manly profession in the tough neighborhood where he grew up. " I grew up in a male dominated era where guys were guys," he says. "The guys were going to become builders."

He had his share of working class jobs. "I worked with an electrician, and as a bricklayer, " he says. "I made pizzas. I sold time-shares. I was a cellar man ( receiving keg deliveries at a pub)."

Baker has had no formal drama lessons, and acknowledges, laughing that hawking time-shares was about as close to acting class as he got. He confesses he was sacked from that job for "being flippant."

Plays in high school eventually resulted in television roles in Australia. Six years ago, Baker came to the United States, where his first movie was "L.A. Confidential." "My first job was followed by a flurry of pretty ordinary movies, " he says "Judas Kiss" and "Secret Men's Business," among others. "But they are all extraordinary experiences on their own."

Baker is looking forward to continuing to play the complicated Fallin. He'd also like to direct at some point, but he says, "I want to remain organic about it."

Taking a long swig of water, Baker reveals his personal goal is "to be able to have a good, solid, healthy relationship with my wife and children for the rest other lives and my life."

And then he races off to the bathroom again.

Message edited by kim - Friday, 08-May-15, 5:42 PM

Smileygirl Date: Sunday, 10-May-15, 11:52 AM | Message # 894
Dinkie-Di

I hope this belongs here if not just repost it smile

For now it´s just a rumor but it is possible (also for another reason I can´t talk about) Simon will be in Cannes on Friday.
https://instagram.com/p/2eiIDdmqOK/

Message edited by Smileygirl - Sunday, 10-May-15, 12:49 PM

marta75 Date: Sunday, 10-May-15, 3:59 PM | Message # 895
Rip Snorter

A very exciting news. Thank you smiley girl.

kim Date: Sunday, 10-May-15, 6:57 PM | Message # 896
Bee's Knees

I hope its true also because then we will get new photos!!!

Sun Date: Monday, 11-May-15, 10:53 AM | Message # 897
Cobber

Let's hope it is true! Promoting BREATH in Cannes! We will get to know a little more about the film, hopefully. At least see the first promotion poster. And have new pictures of Simon! Will he be still looking like Sando?

Peithon Date: Monday, 11-May-15, 11:22 AM | Message # 898
Rip Snorter

Nancy Sinatra again picks Simon to play her father. For years Scorsese has been circling a film but wants DiCaprio.

Who would play your dad?

Only Simon Baker [star of The Mentalist] could, but he wouldn’t be able to sing his songs. It would have to be my father’s voice. I don’t believe anyone else has ever even come close. As a performer I love Bruno Mars and I love Avril Lavigne, but no one sings like my dad.

Smileygirl Date: Monday, 11-May-15, 12:13 PM | Message # 899
Dinkie-Di

Awwww....that wonderful...where did she say that?

Juney Date: Monday, 11-May-15, 3:06 PM | Message # 900
Bee's Knees

Thanks Kim for your hard work. It sounded so like the Simon we know and love.

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz