Tuesday, 14-May-24, 2:04 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
coral Date: Saturday, 02-May-15, 5:15 PM | Message # 856
Cobber

Simon works irregular hours and changes time zones quite a lot which can really disrupt sleep patterns, so it wouldn't surprise me if he occasionally takes some sort of sleeping pills to help him get a proper rest.

Tassie Date: Saturday, 02-May-15, 5:19 PM | Message # 857
Bee's Knees

Thank you ruuger, Ivana and DSP for article, translation and beautiful photo. Looks like a good bid for the cancer charity. With regard to the interview I think Simon just likes to give us a mild shock occasionally. He must get a bit fed up being continually described as the 'perfect' gentleman, praised for his good looks and for his role as caring family man. These are all admirable attributes but a bit of a 'goody, goody' image which he likes to stir up at times. Just my opinion-Simon can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Tanni Date: Saturday, 02-May-15, 6:37 PM | Message # 858
Ankle Biter

love Amazing pic!!

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 10:48 AM | Message # 859
Fair Dinkum

Quote Tassie ()
With regard to the interview I think Simon just likes to give us a mild shock occasionally. He must get a bit fed up being continually described as the 'perfect' gentleman, praised for his good looks and for his role as caring family man. These are all admirable attributes but a bit of a 'goody, goody' image which he likes to stir up at times.

You totally sum up what I think Tassie. He can be a bit provocative and self-deprecating, just to knock down his "sexiest man on TV" status or Givenchy's "Gentleman" persona. The fact that he accepted to answer the LUI questions just prove that. He likes to bring the audience back to reality IMO. happy

bee Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 1:45 PM | Message # 860
Fair Dinkum

I'm anxious to know what mood, Denis Rouvre the photographer, was trying to portray when taking this photo! Simon has a "dark" look about him and I'm wondering if the other photos taken (if any) were in the same vein because it's in sharp contrast to most of Simon's other photoshoots!

Have just googled Denis Rouvre which has answered my own question! It's an interesting read. Apparently all his photos are taken with ..."extraordinary emotional force and with a flair for capturing what is often masked by outward appearances". (Don't know what that really means and to what it refers in Simon's case however)! I have to say some of his pics of people are pretty weird!! His photos are an "acquired" taste I think. Not really my kind of thing!

Message edited by bee - Sunday, 03-May-15, 6:32 PM

Tassie Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 3:43 PM | Message # 861
Bee's Knees

Thanks for this info bee, I must admit I did find this photo of Simon a little unnerving. Also to return to the LUI interview (I woke in the night worrying about it) I do hope some of the comments he made don't affect his endorsements of products such as Longines and Givenchy. They do seem to lllike their ambassadors purer than pure.

redbird Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 4:31 PM | Message # 862
Dinkie-Di

His endorsements will be fine. After all, his answers to the questions really didn't unearth things that we didn't already know. He's been photographed on a yacht holding a beer bottle in the middle of the day, he's admitted to smoking pot, there certainly wouldn't be anything shameful about taking medication prescribed by a doctor and I don't think anyone is surprised to discover that he has a healthy sex life. He lives a good, clean, family-oriented life. He has a relationship with his wife that most people would kill to have with their spouse, he has children that are the center of his universe, he has a career that is enviable, he's entirely comfortable in his own skin and there is no hint of scandal ever associated with his name. I don't see any reason for Longines or Givenchy to be concerned ...............

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 4:42 PM | Message # 863
Fair Dinkum

You're probably right redbird.
I don't know how long last his contracts with Longines as ambassador, I know he renewed the contract with Givenchy for the last ad campaign. Don't know if Givenchy will keep him, but it seems that the "Gentleman only" line is a good seller in Western Europe, and especially in Asia. Their collaboration has been fruitful, so… don't worry too much Tassie happy

kim Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 5:17 PM | Message # 864
Bee's Knees

I had the same initial worry Tassie. But I think that DS_P is right and they won't drop because of anything in that article. As they are European houses I think that culturally nothing in the articles would be shocking to them. Now I know some American brands might not have the same attitude. I think that above all Simon has maintained his honesty to himself and his family. In that way, he still remains a perfect gentleman to me. Earlier someone commented that we often put celebrities on pedestals and then when we find out something about them that it less than perfect we are disappointed. But I still feel the same about Simon. He is human, nothing other than he has always said he was. IMO, perfect human. Although the photo is not the perfect picture of Simon, again IMO.

Tassie Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 7:02 PM | Message # 865
Bee's Knees

Thank you girls for your considered and helpful comments. It's because he has all the little human failings and still comes across as the talented, caring, and funny person he is that I think so much of him. It's good to have you all around, I'm feling much better now.

DaboGirl Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 8:27 PM | Message # 866
Jillaroo

I found the interview refreshing and true to what I think the Simon you would meet up with in real life would be like. His co-workers are always talking about his wicked sense of humor and what a delight he is to be around and to work with I see that guy i this interview.

Another of my other favorite actor is Alex O'Loughlin also a working class Australian. His frankness has gotten him in trouble more than once with his fans. But like Simon I love his candor. Had the pleasure of meeting Alex on several occasions and he was just as down to earth and real as his interviews. Imagine Simon would be the same.

marta75 Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 9:56 PM | Message # 867
Rip Snorter

There is nothing shocking for me in that interview. I would be very surprised if Simon has never smoked pot from time to time. After all, he's an actor and he's an anxious and shy person.
The phrase about the penis is a a bit provocative but we all know Simon is a bad boy biggrin
But anyway I'm surprised he agreed to response to Lui, a newspaper for chauvinist males imo. I think he wants to break his image of perfect man. However he's even more perfect for me with his little weaknesses. tongue

Smileygirl Date: Sunday, 03-May-15, 9:59 PM | Message # 868
Dinkie-Di

I think we all have a different image of Simon in our mind and if something about him (we didn´t expect) comes out, some are a bit shocked or concerned.
For me it makes him even more lovable to see he is a normal guy who mostly doesn´t give a fuck about what the media thinks about him. And before he tells lies he is simply honest to the media and he stays true to himself. He often stated how much he hates dishonesty. And if one of his commercial partners would have any problems with that I am sure he would be the first to say goodbye.
Besides that I can say he is a down to earth guy. The day on set I was not sure how I would react if he would really talk to us (Tanja) and when the moment came I was totally calm because he hasn´t had this "I am a famous celebrity" vibe about him. He seemed interested and listened to what we had to say. He took his time and because we didn´t ask him he ask if we have cameras to take a picture with him. I don´t know if Tanja already talked about the day but if not I will maybe find the time to write about it in more detail if you are interested.

Regarding the new photo. Besides I don´t like the reflection in his glasses (because I am obsessed with his eyes) and maybe the unfavorable angle to his nose I totally love it because this is also him. He has a lot of wrinkles, which I love deeply biggrin and he isn´t 20 anymore. He is a man who experienced a lot in his live and sometimes it just shows in pictures. And after I saw the homepage of the photographer it makes even more sense it looks like it does.

Message edited by Smileygirl - Sunday, 03-May-15, 10:02 PM

bee Date: Monday, 04-May-15, 9:22 AM | Message # 869
Fair Dinkum

Simon said in the Larry King interview that to help with his shyness he "had a few drinks" so I don't necessarily think he would still smoke pot (but who really knows). I don't think it is the image he'd want to project to his children, bad boy or not especially as Stella had questioned him about smoking when younger. He may, or may not, want to break his image of the perfect man but in my opinion it is far harder (and more rewarding) to be a good inspiration for his children than have a bad boy image. Heaven knows there are plenty of those in Hollywood! We don't really know the man and can only guess what he is like in his private life but as he has said on numerous occasions it is only Rebecca who really knows the man he is. Having said all that Simon can do no wrong in my eyes, flaws and all. He's only human after all!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 04-May-15, 9:40 AM

Fran Date: Monday, 04-May-15, 9:45 AM | Message # 870
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for the interviews, very good translations, scanned photo and also the charity bid information - presumably Australian dollars so about £15,500, seems pretty good to me.

I like the Portuguese interview, as you say similar to other Givenchy ones, but I think this is the best of them thanks to some nice little snippets of personal info and the good English version that's provided.

Then the 'Lui' article - I'm not really sure what to think about it. Have to say I'm not keen on the photo, it seems to me that the photographer wanted Simon to look unattractive. As for the interview, I can't understand why anyone would want to answer such intrusive questions for this type of magazine. But I don't know, maybe Simon's publicity people think he needs to improve his street cred with men.

I think with some of his responses Simon is playing to the target audience (ie men who enjoy reading magazines like this) by giving humorous stereotypical answers (for example I think his response on 'The View' to the question of sexual frequency was much more honest and more down-to-earth human). But the trouble with using humour for written interviews is that it can easily be misunderstood, especially when your words are being edited and translated into a different language. As is usual with magazine interviews, I don't think we're getting what Simon said word for word, we're just getting an approximation after the editor and translator have had their fun. I was concerned at first about his reply on drugs, but of course psychotropic substances cover a broad spectrum, I believe even caffeine is considered to be one. But I don't like that the monosyllabic reply left this open to speculation, and I do wonder if this was Simon's deliberate intention or if his actual response was more detailed.

If this interview had been my first encounter with Simon, it wouldn't have interested me enough to make me want to find out more about him, but then I'm not in the target audience and I don't mind admitting that I'm a bit of an old-fashioned prude - we're a dying breed but there are still a few of us around biggrin

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz