Friday, 17-May-24, 3:48 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1 (to 28 February 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1
Fran Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 11:17 AM | Message # 826
Fair Dinkum

Austrian newspaper "TirolerTageszeitung" article with transcript - thanks to @rememberhilde
(Simon mentions 50Shades here too, not sure how accurate the reporting is or if he's serious or not!)

I didn’t want to be just the good-looking guy“
In the interview Simon Baker talks about his late breakthrough, the chase after Red John and his scandalless private life.
As “mentalist” Patrick Jane he is on a break currently, but his fans have the chance to see the handsome Australian Simon Baker in the cinema in a very different way now. In “I give it a year” he mimes, in a British environment, a kind of “Mr. Dreamy” from America.

Does it benefit you to break out of the series from time to time?
Simon Baker: Of course, but one shouldn’t hurl oneself into every adventure. Here, first there was talk of a ‘romantic comedy’. That made me careful because I think this genre is annoyed to death. But when I had read the script, I thought differently. This story was refreshing, witty and cocky. But at the beginning I still felt “appropriate uncomfortable”.

Why?
Baker: Guy, the character I play, is this stunning American type. For me, it’s always a little embarrassing when I have to be stunning because in such a role one always has to be aware of one’s effect. But finally Guy is not the suave womanizer one would expect. He is funny because he’s a misfit in his not very normal environment. To be the only “normal” one in a story, where there are a lot of crazy characters, can be very appealing!

When you came from Australia to Hollywood you didn’t think of a series?
Baker: No, but I instantly got an offer for the in 1998 Oscar-winning film “L.A. Confidential”. Sadly, I didn’t get the role I wanted, the small-minded, ambitious Cop, who my fellow-countryman Guy Pearce embodied. Well, he had become popular with “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert”, but still, I was very depressed.

Your breakthrough was the series “The Mentalist”, which started in the USA in 2008 and still gets super ratings. Why did it take so long until you got the perfect role?
Baker: I think the bosses in Hollywood didn’t really know what to do with me. They didn’t know if I was a shining hero, a characteristic actor – or something else?

I guess you didn’t like that?
Baker: I didn’t mind. Since I realized , that I had to find out myself where I belonged to. But I didn’t want to be just the handsome guy for sure! Because when you get older, it’s just boring. Thankfully the offer for “The Mentalist” came at the right time and since then, I also frequently get really good offers for films!

Do you have a problem with the paparazzi, too?
Baker: I’m a simple man, married, with three children and I have a life without scandals. The paparazzi aren’t fired up for somebody like that.

As “mentalist” you hunt the serial killer Red John, who has murdered Patrick Jane’s wife and child. When will you get him?
Baker: We’ll start with the sixth season, soon, and it’s all a big secret. But I’m getting closer.

What film would you like to do?
Baker: Maybe “Shades of Grey”, although I didn’t read any of the books. But as I said, I always like change for the cinema!

Fran Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 11:45 AM | Message # 827
Fair Dinkum

Article in Cosmopolitan?

Mcbabsi Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 11:47 AM | Message # 828
Jillaroo

Well, compared to the "BILD"- tabloid, the Tyrolean paper is quite serious, so I believe the interview is quite serious, too!

AgentM Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 11:48 AM | Message # 829
Bee's Knees

Fran, is that the UK edition of Cosmo?

Message edited by AgentM - Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 11:49 AM

marty75 Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 5:26 PM | Message # 830
Blow-In

Interesting answer about the perfect role. Thank you fran and rememberhilde for the tyrolean article.

justlook3 Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 5:27 PM | Message # 831
Bee's Knees

Cute last interview. Which also confirms that he accepted his invitation to join the Academy. At the time we knew he was invited but the Academy does not publish it's list of actual members so there was no way to know if he accepted.

Fran Date: Sunday, 14-Apr-13, 11:44 PM | Message # 832
Fair Dinkum

Quote (AgentM)
Fran, is that the UK edition of Cosmo?

Sorry I don't know, but I suspect its USA or Canada.

AgentM Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 8:41 AM | Message # 833
Bee's Knees

Dang it! We get nothing over here...nothing! (goes off to hava a little tant! angry ) .........................Okay, I'm back -- it is very vexing though that the British media seem to have overlooked him.

bee Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 9:36 AM | Message # 834
Fair Dinkum

I agree AgentM about the British media....we get very little or nothing about Simon. We did get one TV interview with Simon though following the IGIAY premiere in London with Eamonn and Ruth (whoopie!!!). Even Channel 5 don't seem to advertise TM much at all anymore....if they do, we get the same old advert....shame for his British fans.

bee Date: Wednesday, 17-Apr-13, 6:16 PM | Message # 835
Fair Dinkum

Just noticed that "LA Confidential" is on ITV4 at 10.00pm on Tuesday 23rd April here in the UK. smile

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 17-Apr-13, 6:33 PM | Message # 836
Bee's Knees

Thanks for that bee...been a while since I've seen it! Where's my calendar?!!! Okay, duly noted -- I shall be tuning in to spend the evening with Simon. Cheers. biggrin

Fran Date: Wednesday, 17-Apr-13, 8:01 PM | Message # 837
Fair Dinkum

Another interview at Bild.de - includes video, mainly IGIAY clips with small interview snippet overdubbed in German

http://www.bild.de/unterha....ld.html

Google translation:
"Also I'm already out of favor with women"
JANA MIKSCH and FELIX HAIN
Once a charmer, always charmer!

In the crime series "The Mentalist" Simon Baker (43) plays the good-looking CBI investigator Patrick Jane, in his signature role, he wrapped his fingers around the suspects regularly. But even on the big movie screen plays Baker (43) the smart American Guy - private swarm of women for 22 years actress wife Rebecca Rigg (45) is executed against faithful.

BILD.de met the charming Australian occasion of his new film "I Give It A Year" on Wednesday for an interview in the Berlin Soho House.

BILD.de: Welcome to Germany Mr. Baker, have you had time to explore Berlin?

Simon Baker : "I arrived in Berlin this morning, it's my first time in Berlin. Unfortunately, I must also continue to fly tonight again. "

So you have seen nothing yet from the city?

"No, unfortunately not. I'm just from the airport to the studio and came here from the studio. But I will definitely come again to Berlin! "

In "I Give It A Year" you arrange a "Super Date" for your dream girl, you would also do something in real life?

"I think this scene shows a moment everyone has seen before, who was in love. It is not easy for men to tell a woman 'what it looks like, I'll be frank, these are my feelings for you.' Sometimes you will be welcomed with open arms and sometimes rejected - which is very difficult for men. I myself am already out of favor with women. "

You are not only known for your films, but also by the TV series "The Mentalist". Where do you see yourself after the end of the series?

"I will not soon stop making television. But to shoot a series, is hard work. If it ends at some point, then I'm happy to have been part of the opportunity. Movies I would always like to do. But I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing then. "

Can you imagine to play the male role in "Fifty Shades of Grey"?

"Yes, I would really like to play the role, although I have not read the books."

They are Australians play in the film but an American, had trouble with your accent?

"Yes, it was a little strange to play in a British film as Australians an American. Rose (female lead) is also Australian and had to play a British accent, I think for her it was not easy. "

Let's talk about food: Do you like German food?

"Oh yes, I love German sausages and of course German beer."

Is the Australian beer better than the German?

(Laughs) "The question is dangerous, I'm Australian and especially here in Germany go. Now when I say that German beer is better than Australian, then I get in trouble with my Australian fans.

Fran Date: Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 11:00 AM | Message # 838
Fair Dinkum

Great interview - Many thanks to Mcbabsi both for the scans and the excellent translation

INSTYLE MAGAZINE (German Edition, May 2013)
Translation is here: http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/load....1-0-203

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 11:59 AM | Message # 839
Fair Dinkum

Like the quote in the margin about the knitwear:
"My favourite jumper is from Jill Sander. I have it since more than 12 years now"

That's the kind of little details I like about the man… He remains the same, and sticks to the things he likes, even if now he could afford to buy a different Jill Sander knitwear every day! cool

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 12:00 PM

Fran Date: Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 10:52 PM | Message # 840
Fair Dinkum

Quote (DS_Pallas)
"My favourite jumper is from Jill Sander. I have it since more than 12 years now"

Thanks for that. I can't tell if it's his snuggly blue one that we often see him wearing.

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info - Part 1 (to 28 February 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz