Saturday, 27-Apr-24, 7:55 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly
Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly
June Date: Friday, 22-Jun-12, 7:55 PM | Message # 1
Bee's Knees

Interview with Bruno Heller, creator, writer and producer of The Mentalist

“Mentalists are all con-men, charlatans…”

Interview conducted on August 26, 2010

Late August 2010, Thursday in Paris. The day before, an assistant has contacted with me to set up a phone meeting with Bruno Heller. The creator of the series “The Mentalist” is busy but not overwhelmed. The shooting of the third season started in U.S. a few weeks ago. Across the phone line, a cheerful voice distinctly British accent. He peppers his answers in English with some French expressions. Preceded by his reputation, Bruno Heller has climbed all the steps before his imposition as a master storyteller on the small screen with, without interruption, the peplum “Rome” and then, the police series “The Mentalist”.

Why have you named the character of “The Mentalist”… Patrick Jane? His name and last name have been chosen at random?
Not at all! This is the first time someone asks me that question… and it deserves to be explained. I chose to call the mentalist Patrick Jane for at least three reasons. First, I’m British and Patrick is just a good old Irish name that I love and with whom I felt comfortable to develop the series. The second is that Jane’s name can be said and read in English as a female name and it was important for me that the mentalist, a funny and charming character to have that feature accentuated and indicated in some way in his identity; and the third is that the Jane word also has a religious connotation. Let me explain: in English, is pronounced as “Jaine”, the English term for the religion of the Jains ascetics from India who preach non-violence in any situation. Please note, I’m not saying that the mentalist is not violent, but he generally prefers to use others means to reach his goals.

Did you know Simon Baker when you wrote the outline for the series? Did you think already of him for the role of Patrick Jane?
No, I had never met. I didn’t know him. For the role, I thought someone charismatic, charming...

Like Cary Grant?
Especially not. The reference to Cary Grant suddenly appeared when we were discussing with Simon Baker, but perhaps it was there, unconsciously, in my writing from the beginning.

Did Simon Baker immediately become the only actor for the role?
No, but he was on top of a short list of five or six actors that CBS, which produced the series, supplied me. He had that same grace in his movements, his attitude, that mentalists have when they make their performances. First thing that caught my attention.

Who were the other actors?
Understand that I can not name. They wouldn’t want. What you need to know is that when a new series is launched in U.S., your choice of performers is ultimately limited. Between actors in Hollywood and others, you must make your choice from those available and willing to sign a contract for six years, which is the expected duration of the commitment to a series. Simon was my first choice, but I had to fight to convince him to sign because that meant he had to say goodbye to his film career, at least for a time.

Does the fact you are English and he is Australian influence the dynamics of the series?
Absolutely, but I had not considered for hire him. By contrast, in the course of shooting, is true that this “étrangeté” has become important. The British and Australian are starting from a common culture. We have a very similar sense of humour and we cultivate the irony that is also one of the trade marks of the series.

What if Simon Baker had been French?
Of course it would have worked. You also have a sense of humour pretty close to our British. It’s an interesting idea in other ways. Maybe I should hire a French actor for after...

What was your first encounter with Simon Baker?
We started talking a lot by phone. I had seen his screen tests and I loved, but I should to persuade him to commit to long term. That takes time. We were face to face for the first time a week before the shooting of the pilot.

You had to appear persuasive. What convinced him? Does the number of zeros after the first figure of his paycheck?
For God’s sake, no (laughs)! Paradoxically the key was in the length of the series. There was complete freedom to Simon could polish the character of Patrick Jane up as he goes along and make it evolve throughout the seasons. At this point, I don’t know if “The Mentalist” will come until the sixth season: we are in the show business industry, and everything is fragile. We may have to shorten it if the public abandon us along the way; I think “The Mentalist” is, as you say in France, a “succès d’estime”. But I have been honest with Simon. He knows the outcome of the series.

Who else knows the end of “The Mentalist”? Are the responsible from CBS to produce the series aware of the secret?
To some extent. It was essential for the interest of the series that the secret about his conclusion was saved, and that a truly restricted circle knew the outcome. I have therefore revealed as little as possible.

Without going into details, could you tell me that the capture or death of the serial killer Red John who is pursued by Patrick Jane will mean the end of “The Mentalist”?
For me yes. The series will stop there. There will be nothing after, or some spin-off.

If the audience of “The Mentalist” falls down in U.S. before the airing of the sixth season, have you prepared a safety plan to solve urgently the series?
Of course. It would be presumptuous of me to imagine that we would attract the interest of viewers for six years. I can not wait...

June Date: Friday, 22-Jun-12, 7:56 PM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

The special agent Teresa Lisbon (played by Robin Tunney) is the boss of Patrick Jane in the CBI, but also his alter ego. This character is intended to “survive” until the end of the series?
It would be difficult to do without. My wife, like Simon Baker’s too, loves the character of Lisbon. Many people tend to underestimate her, but she is essential to balance the show. As in the series, Patrick Jane is an abnormal person, in the sense that he is out of the ordinary; Lisbon represents normality, down to earth. She is nice. She has some flaws. And she is tied down between her role as boss that must straight the “dérapages” of Patrick Jane up and her admiration, affection, even her love for him.

Throughout the season one, Rebecca Rigg, Simon Baker’s wife, played in one episode (A Dozen Red Roses), an actress who is about to return to acting. Whose idea was it?
I don’t remember, but I find Rebecca formidable in that episode.

In a scene with his wife, the writers do Simon Baker tell that her style of men is “athletic bad boys with a light touch of masochism... ". A message to his partner in real life and his past as a surfer?
Of course. Simon and Rebecca have a lot of humour and perspective on their relationship. It seemed natural to see them play that kind of scene.

In the first two seasons of “The Mentalist”, two different actresses play the dead wife of Patrick Jane in the flashbacks. Why?
Molly Cougan, who acted in the pilot, was not free for the other episodes for time reasons. She was replaced by Maxine Bahns. She is who should appear from now on regularly in the series.

The theories about the identity of the serial killer Red John, responsible for the mentalist’s wife and daughter death, are countless in internet. Do you take a look from time to time? Do you take this into consideration for the writings of future episodes?
I’ve heard to talk about that. But I prefer not to look at fan sites. With the writers, we take into consideration what can be called “l’air du temps”. There is nothing formal; it may be discussions with relatives, or possibly with journalists like you...

The thing is in each episode, a bit on the model of the cult movie “Usual Suspects”; do you spread clues about Red John that could allow fans to discover his identity?
In some episodes, but not all. Please note, we also introduce red herrings. What I can tell is there will be sufficient evidences throughout the seasons for some viewers, the most observant, find out who Red John is before the last episode.

At the end of season two Patrick Jane faces physically Red John. He is heard reciting some loose verses of The Tyger, a poem by William Blake. Did you know that one of his paintings is also used in “Red Dragon” by Brett Ratner with Anthony Hopkins and Ralf Fiennes, which is about a serial killer?
I realized after the episode was written. It must have been an unwitting influence, some reminiscence. In fact, Tyger, Tyger, is a very popular poem in Great Britain, a bit like the fables of Jean de La Fontaine in France. I think I should learn this poem by Blake at school when I was twelve. I wanted to use something familiar, apparently without danger but that sounds threatening on Red John’s lips. But as you point out, others had thought before I did...

Is true that the series’ starting point came out because your wife, Miranda, is obsessed with mediums and psychics?
Obsessed is a bit strong word. Let’s say that she likes to read the lines of the hand and consult the fortune. For me, that’s fraud, but Miranda has attracted me to that universe. It’s very popular in U.S. and I guess in France is the same. You can find this kind of charlatans in every corner and I found out that there was some pretence, a hidden world, particularly interesting to explore through a TV show.

Don’t you believe in the psychic powers of mediums and other mentalists?
Absolutely not. They are all con-men, charlatans. And Patrick Jane would be the first one among them. He doesn’t have any power, in any case none superhuman.

Have the real mediums already been in touch with you in order to convince you of their powers or appear in the series?
Never. In my opinion, they are too afraid of being exposed and unmasked...

However, in U.S., local police regularly use the services of mediums during criminal investigations...
Yes, but they are forced to it in some way by the public opinion. When a teenager has disappeared and the investigation doesn’t advance, it’s hard to the sheriff or the police chief of a small town refuses help, wherever it comes. On the contrary, I can assure you that there is no documented case about the intervention of a medium or a mentalist with the FBI or the national police.

In U.S. the series “Lie to Me” with Tim Roth, is aired on channel Fox. His character, Paul Ekman, is a doctor of psychology that can identify a liar and sometimes helps the police. If Ekman and Jane were confronted in one episode, who would win the battle of the ego?
Patrick Jane! Without a shadow of a doubt. I love Tim Roth, but his character has a limited capacity for detecting deception. Patrick Jane not only unmasks the liars, but he himself is a master liar, allowing him to alter reality and change it in his advantage. He has done throughout the episodes manipulating suspects but also his alter egos from the CBI: Teresa Lisbon, agents Rigsby, Van Pelt, Cho and the others.

To finish, is it true that to create on the screen the image of Patrick Jane, were inspired with Simon Baker by the character of Charlot?
Charlot and Buster Keaton... Which comes mainly from Simon. Deep down, he is a surfer. He is an athlete and an actor whose performance lies in the gesture and the physicist. He has taken as models two genius of the genre. And that is what you see on the screen, right?

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Friday, 22-Jun-12, 8:18 PM | Message # 3
True Blue

Wow, June! You have been a really busy girl! hands Thanks for doing this lots of work and sharing it!
There are some interesting points in it, things I didn´t know before...
keep it up! thumb

Frosttbitten Date: Friday, 22-Jun-12, 11:05 PM | Message # 4
Blow-In

This is fantastic!!
Ever since I read the pilot script I've always wanted to know about the name, specially since it was changed from Daniel to Patrick. His reasons confirm that nothing is this show is random, not even the names of the character.. there is always something. Sometimes whenever I read some over elaborated theory of this and that (mostly Red John) or symbolism in an episode, I think "pftt!! that's too much!" but, from the way he dresses to his name.. O.o nothing is random. Ohh and the red herrings! Mr Heller is quite the brilliant man. I wish some fans wouldn't judge too harsh the show (on latest seasons) and could appreciate the show as a whole, and stick with it through the end. (The moves to Sunday still put some fear on my fannish heart) I hope they get their 6 seasons and maybe another one more.

BTW, speaking of names, I've always wanted to know too what would be the red name of S1E01 if it wasn't "pilot". I sent that question to Bruno when a TVguide journalist was asking fans for questions for him, but don't know if he asked him or if he ever going to publish it if he did :/

Rebecca in A Dozen Red Roses.. ohmygoodness! would have liked to know more about how she got the role, I'm so glad he even mentioned her, though. I know there is casting department that's in charge of selecting the actors but still always wondered how she ended up in the role, the process of casting her. Also, never thought of that scene where Jane described "her type" as a hint of their real life, LOL! It's not the first time I've watched a couple (in real-life) working together, very few times, playing against each other, and I always find it interesting and refreshing! I'm still hoping for them to work together again in a major or independent movie or anything.

Is there more? This is GOLD! Pure gold! Thanks for taking the time to do it and share it!

June Date: Friday, 22-Jun-12, 11:42 PM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

You're welcome.

June Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 1:22 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

Interview conducted on October 20, 2010 (Bruno Heller)

What relationship has the character of Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) with women in the series “The Mentalist”?
The question is interesting but complex. At the end of season two, when Patrick Jane finds again in the next-to-last episode the character of Kristina Frye, the medium, he experiences mixed feelings: attraction, repulse... He feels something for this woman, but he is not ready to develop a new sentimental relationship.

Could Patrick Jane fall in love again someday?
I hope so. But frankly, as long as the killer Red John responsible for the death of his wife and daughter, is in this world, the mentalist can’t not get away from his only obsession: to find out his identity and arrest him, no matter what.

Why is he still wearing his wedding ring five years after the murder of his wife? Is it a way to show that he feels attached to her beyond death?
We had envisaged a scene with many dialogues to explain the feelings that go through him after his first “date” with Kristina. But Simon suggested going to the essential. He had the simple idea but effective that he caress his wedding ring for long. Not need more words!

Regardless, have you foreseen to create him a real affair throughout the next four seasons?
I can not answer today. There is the “beauté” of the television. A series changes also according to his public. Please note, I’m not saying that we write according to what viewers expect, but we await their reactions even at the risk of disappointing on purpose to surprise them better.

Has Simon Baker asked you to write some more romantic scenes for “The Mentalist”?
Asked, yes. Demanded, no. Like all actors, Simon wants to express himself in all aspects and play specially a man in love, but he also understands that the desire for revenge which encourages the character of Patrick Jane makes him unable for the moment to have an affair.

Couldn’t the mentalist be seduced then by agent Van Pelt?
Impossible. That would be a total dead end for both Jane and for Van Pelt.

And how would you describe then his relationship with Teresa Lisbon?
A priori, I prefer viewers to do their own idea. But if you insist, I could tell they are like brother and sister, with what means of fights, love and respect. At first of season one, Teresa Lisbon was more protective, more maternal. Their relationship develops incessantly. As in real life!

Where do the names of Teresa Lisbon and Kristina Frye come from? Is there a hidden meaning?
There is not a hidden meaning. With regard to Teresa, the thing is when I’m on holyday; I spend a long time in Cape Cod (state of Massachusetts). There is a strong Portuguese community and consequently many people named Lisbon. I love the consonance of her name and last name. With regard to Kristina Frye, it was an idea from one of the writers, but I don’t know the origin.

In the series, Red John signs his murders with a bloodstained smiley. Did you know that there is a thesis speaking of a group of serial killers who act under the name of Smiley Gang Killers that would be responsible for the death of forty-seven people since 1997 in U.S.?
Yes, it’s a weird coincidence, a little shocking. I’d never heard to talk of it before the series “The Mentalist” was written. Then, I’ve followed this matter from a distance, but it seems that this thesis doesn’t hold. You know the symbol of the smile is almost universal. It’s undoubtedly one of the first things that a child draws. But I confess that I have been disturbed.

Do you know “Hamstad”? It’s an Ingmar Bergman’s film of 1948 in which appears a smiley face on screen...
Really? I’d never heard to talk of it. It’s funny. I will try to get it.

At the end of season two Red John saves Patrick Jane from a certain death and whispers in his ear a few verses from a poem by William Blake, (The Tyger). This one is always associated with another poem, The Lamb. Will that be important in future episodes?
Yes, because both texts are real submersions in Red John’s spirit. Allow us to understand what could call the philosophy of this enigmatic and sophisticated murderer. These apparently simple texts are reflections about the nature of good and evil. It could almost be said that Red John is a murderer of philosophical dimension.

You are English as Alfred Hitchcock. Will you also do an appearance on the show?
Oh la la! Simon Baker, who has directed the episode nine “Red Moon” of season three, has forced me.

What is your role?
I play, or rather embody, a uniformed police on the background. You’d better pay attention to notice me (laughs).

Message edited by June - Monday, 25-Jun-12, 1:23 PM

June Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 1:30 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

In an interview, Simon Baker has said he would like to see some French actors like Audrey Tautou or Jean Paul Belmondo appear in some episodes of “The Mentalist”. Is it possible?
I don’t think so. Warner Bros., which produces the series, is the last independent studio in Hollywood because they are alert to the costs. If I ask them: “Can I pay a flight ticket to Belmondo? They will answer me franc: “No”. Besides, the series “The Mentalist” differs from “CSI” or “CSI: New York” in that they hire occasionally pop stars like Justin Bieber or movie stars like Sharon Stone for some episodes. Those practices don’t bother fans of these ensemble series where there is not an only hero. For “The Mentalist” is different. I think to have a stars policy could incline viewers to other dimension and interfere following our stories.

Anthony Zuiker, creator and producer of “CSI”, has confessed to me during an interview that he would find interesting to shoot a cross-over between “The Mentalist” and “CSI”. What do you think?
Listen, would it be possible? Yes, because we are in the same network in U.S. (CBS). I love the idea!

Do you want his phone number?
Do you have it? It would be great. If you don’t mind give it to my secretary.

Back to “The Mentalist”, would be possible to shoot certain episodes abroad like “Sex and the City” or “Gossip Girl” did?
It would be necessary that the plot lends itself. I wouldn’t want it to be artificial. Throughout season three, one of the characters goes to Indonesia. This kind of situation could lend itself to a momentary move of the production, but I think we’ll go to Paris in season five, rather. The city lends itself to it and that unless to move the production costs finally expensive. A matter to take into consideration, as you will understand.

Could you be considering asking Anthony Hopkins, who played the serial killer Hannibal Lecter in the film “The Silence of the Lambs”, for making an appearance in “The Mentalist”?
Anthony Hopkins? Would be wonderful! But asking an actor of that nature to make television, you don’t get it. Besides, we write the episodes with a truly tight timing. A star like Anthony Hopkins can not release so easily. I think it would take a long time to have his consent, but if he wanted, I would recruit him with an enormous pleasure.

Even though her character is the only one who has been physically close to Red John at the end of season one, Rosalind Harker (played by Alicia Witt) seems to have been abandoned by CBI investigators and have disappeared of the series. Is it intentionally or a storyline mistake?
The series is revolved around Red John, but not only. There are other stories, other investigations which are developed on screen. In the case of Rosalind Harker, you can leave viewer to imagine that CBI has done their job and she has been interrogated in order to explore all the possible clues. She will reappear when it is about Red John again. On TV, you can not show everything; otherwise a series like this would be quickly impossible to watch. We are very far from the narrative concepts of a series like “Lost” that impose not leave ever to follow the story. On the contrary, each episode of “The Mentalist” is conceived to get it at any time and follow it effortlessly by a viewer that had never seen the series before. I think it’s the minimum respect we owe to the audience.

In the series, is said that Bach’s music is particularly appreciated by Red John. What would Patrick Jane like?
Both appreciate Bach. They share that, at least.

Have you already dreamed about adapting in the future “The Mentalist” for the big screen, like happened with “X-Files”?
If it had a real demand from the public, it would be possible, but for the moment I doubt it. And, what is more, I think police series are not made for the big screen. Frankly, can you tell me a good adaptation of a series on the cinema? Leaving aside “Mission: Impossible”.

In “The Mentalist”, the signing of the murderer Red John in his crime scenes is often evocated but never shown. What does it involve?
I don’t want to go too far with gore things. The series is meant to touch a big audience and there are things that are not necessary to show. The series “The Mentalist” wonders about meaning of life and therefore of death. The “how?” is less important than the “why?” In that sense is closer to the search for meaning that “The Black Dahlia”, the famous novel by James Ellroy has, than the series “Colombo”.

Did you know that Simon Baker’s nickname in his youth was Smiley?
Yes, disturbing, right? But it’s a nickname that suits him wonderfully. His smile has made a lot for the success of the series.

Before concluding, could you reveal some hint that nobody still knows about Red John and that could help viewer to find out his identity?
Let me think a little... A hint that nobody knows? Let’s go, only for you: Red John likes to be cold.

Frosttbitten Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 4:01 PM | Message # 8
Blow-In

Ok.. I'm about to do something absurd and silly, with all being on print already.. lol! but I can't help myself.

PLEASE PLEASE I want him to ask Bruno about the smiley being a little bit like Simon/Jane smile!

Come on come on!! Every time they touched the smiley, my heart stopped a bit.
I've been meaning to ask the writers about if any of the crew (writers or producers or directors) have had a cameo. I knew about Erika's but Bruno?? That was unexpected!!

My Goodness! This book is golden! Most of the questions Mr Rapilly has asked have been circling in my head for a long time! June, you said you're not doing the boring stuff?? Is there any so far, really??

Thank you!

AgentM Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 4:53 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

Interesting interview...thanks June! biggrin

justlook3 Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 4:58 PM | Message # 10
Bee's Knees

Rebecca in A Dozen Red Roses.. ohmygoodness! would have liked to know more about how she got the role, I'm so glad he even mentioned her, though. I know there is casting department that's in charge of selecting the actors but still always wondered how she ended up in the role, the process of casting her. Also, never thought of that scene where Jane described "her type" as a hint of their real life, LOL! It's not the first time I've watched a couple (in real-life) working together, very few times, playing against each other, and I always find it interesting and refreshing! I'm still hoping for them to work together again in a major or independent movie or anything.

At the Paleyfest, someone asked how Rebecca's casting came about. Simon said he was chatting with the casting director (I think I've got that right) and they were talking about upcoming roles. When that part came up, Simon said he thought his wife would be good in it. So he brought the script home somewhat nervously (Well the part isn't flattering and she is the murderer!) but Rebecca loved it. So that seems to have been how she was cast. I think though at the end of season 1, Simon said they didn't particularly like working together. They liked being able to spend time together, lunch, sharing a trailer, that sort of thing. But Simon said that they're totally different people at work then in their home life and I guess that just didn't work for them.

Juney Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 5:06 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

Thanks for all that work June. All very interesting. smile

justlook3 Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 5:08 PM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

Thanks so much June! It is fun to read this especially in light of when it was written versus what has happened now.

Juney Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 5:35 PM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

I would have liked to ask Bruno how many takes it took in the scene with Simon and Becca where he asks her 'What first attracted you to your husband, it certainly wasn't his looks'. I should imagine there was a lot of laughter.

Is there much more to come? Wow all that work.

lenacr Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 7:21 PM | Message # 14
Dinkie-Di

The most in-depth interview about the Mentalist that (at least) I have ever seen. Excellent questions, interesting answers. Thanks so much.
As for making a film on Mentalist, I do so much hope. Sherlock Holmes' films were successful, weren't they?

bluemoon_999 Date: Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 4:16 AM | Message # 15
Blow-In

Wow, a French interview again?! They certainly do the best interviews. Why they never showed us the bloopers shooting the scenes between Simon and Rebecca? I couldn't imagine how they did that. I was like lol each time I watch it. Loved the scene where Jane is playing with his wedding ring in the bathroom during his "date" with Frye. And that was Simon's idea!!!

And thanks for the translation!!!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz