Saturday, 27-Apr-24, 10:19 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Poll: Which of the 7 suspects is Red John
Poll: Which of the 7 suspects is Red John
Which of the 7 Red John suspects from the Season 5 Finale, do you think is the real Red John?
1. Bret Stiles [ 1 ] [2.50%]
2. Gale Bertram [ 2 ] [5.00%]
3. Robert Kirkland [ 10 ] [25.00%]
4. Sheriff Mcallister [ 2 ] [5.00%]
5. Brett Partridge [ 16 ] [40.00%]
6. Ray Haffner [ 8 ] [20.00%]
7. Reede Smith [ 1 ] [2.50%]
Answers total: 40
Fran Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 10:01 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

I thought it would be interesting to see who the front-runners are amongst members here. Feel free to qualify your selection with a comment.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 10:29 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

What a great idea Fran, looking forward to reading everyone's comments

I chose Brett Partridge...now to reasons.

He was in the Pilot, and somehow I feel that Bruno will have laid down a foundation right from the start and probably decided just who it would be...after all he has always said that should the series be cancelled early, he has contingency plans to give us all answers.

I can't help but remember in Russet Potatoes, the person who was able to do the powerful hypnosis, and have people do their bidding was a little mouse-like person....so I ask myself why would Red John be any different, he hides in plain sight, and is easily overlooked....otherwise he would be caught. I can imagine Partridge grinning to himself, and watching everyone run around like idiots, watching each other, when he is there amongst them...he has access to all the official documents and to the computer system, and meets lots of people......he seems a bit of a spiteful character, he isn't stupid....to hold the job he does.

I can't see it being Stiles (although he fits and Malcolm McDowell is wonderful) just because he is too obvious...ditto for Bertram and Kirkland, and to a lesser degree Haffner...though I wouldn't be surprised to find that one of these (or more than one!!)was one of his people, they all have skills and contacts that would be useful to Red John...and the other two, I think were just fillers to get to the magic number of 7.

And lastly......I don't like him!!... cool

Message edited by Mossibecca - Monday, 01-Jul-13, 10:32 AM

Tina Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 10:46 AM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

I choose Brett Partridge, too. He seems to be really creepy. He was in the pilot.
Brett Stiles would be a suspect for me too, but the shape of his body doesn't fit and his voice to what we've seen / heard from RJ.
Bertram? No.
Kirkland is for sure a member of RJ's team, but I don't think he is RJ.
Ray Haffner was not very clever when he worked with Jane, I don't think Jane could have played with RJ like he did with Haffner in that one episode.
The others - no.

Just my opinion. Truth is, I have no idea wacko

Fran Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 11:46 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

I’ve also voted for Brett Partridge for the same reasons. For a long time I dismissed him because I thought he lacked the necessary charisma, but I think Mossibecca makes a good point about his need to hide in plain sight. And being a rather irritating person who people don’t want to get to know is a clever way to do that.

Also, his age makes him a contemporary of Jane, and because of the Jane memory incident, my current theory is that he had some involvement with the carnie folk. I don’t think he could have been in one of the main carnie circuit families, more on the periphery, and that the young Patrick didn’t even notice his existence. That would add fuel to the resentment he felt for the ‘Boy Wonder’ and would explain why it all seems so personal with his obsessive need to prove that he’s cleverer than Jane.

As for the others on the list, I still think Bret Stiles is a possibility but I agree that he seems too obvious. I don’t fancy any of the others for it, but I think Haffner could be a Red John minion. My personal view of Kirkland is that he’s a red herring, not a minion of RJ, but someone with his own agenda.

bee Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 1:19 PM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

I have also voted for Brett Partridge although at first I thought he was too obvious but having seen the other six I think he is the most likely candidate. As has been said by tinamarianne he is creepy and there is something disturbing about him. As Jane said "he enjoys his work a little too much" . Also Jane has disliked him from the start (a sixth sense maybe). I agree that Bruno wouldn't have been aware how popular TM would become and how long it would last so I think he had to have known the identity of RJ from the beginning and to have him appear in the first episode would be ironic!

Bret Stiles is my second choice although, as has been said, he doesn't fit the build of RJ who we saw in "Red Sky in the Morning". I think he is too old and in my opinion RJ looked quite tall (Malcolm McDowell is only around 5ft 9inches) and I can't see him wearing black leather and boots as was seen in that episode! I think he definitely knows the identity of RJ though through Visualize as he seems to know so much about RJ.

Sheriff McAllister did appear early on in the series but wouldn't Rosalind Harker have told Jane that Roy Tagliaferro (as she knew him) had a beard? As for the others I think they came too late in the day if Bruno is to be believed when he said that we had already seen RJ quite early on in the series (can't remember exactly when though). I think Kirkland has also been a victim of RJ somehow and has got his own agenda. Haffner is suspicious as he is a member of Vizualise but so are a lot of other people connected to the police force apparently! Gale Bertram perhaps, Jane doesn't like him either, but I can't see him being RJ somehow. Reede Smith doesn't fit the build of RJ at all. He seems a bully and doesn't appear to have the intelligence of RJ. Personally I would have liked to have seen Mashburn or Mancini as possible candidates)!

Oh well, time will tell and in the meantime we just keep guessing and looking for possible clues......

Message edited by bee - Monday, 01-Jul-13, 1:37 PM

Peithon Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 2:01 PM | Message # 6
Rip Snorter

While I agree most roads lead to Partridge and from a skill set and placement level and how he talked in his high voice in Red Dawn, Kirkland is also a very likely suspect and he would know everything about Jane. And maybe the minions don't know who the real Red John is. I think Kirkland is protecting Red John's identity because he is of interest to Homeland Security. I go with most unlikely, McAllister who is the only one caught creepin' up on a female, in this case Van Pelt. Of course he would play the stupid hick cop, insult Jane's psychic ability and on top of that be clever enough to lose rock paper sissors ad infinitum. That he would be in the sheriff's dept would be a natural. He was never suspected, he was in an episode Heller wrote and in the very beginning of the series. They get a first order for three episodes when they go to series, so I figure he has to be in a Heller episode in the first three. And all 7 (Red John is seven letters) could be minions...

Thrill Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 2:38 PM | Message # 7
Dinkie-Di

For me Brett Stiles - it appeals to my warped sense of humour that the leader of a cult is a secret serial killer. I also suspect that Brett may be PJ's real father or at least a relation - but not acknowledged. I'm not convinced that Bruno had decided who RJ was from the get go. I think he laid clues but left his options open....... Looking forward to it very much.

Tina Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 3:32 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

That's an interesting point that Brett might be related to PJ ...never thought about that...new thoughts to keep my mind busy wacko

Lena Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 4:43 PM | Message # 9
Dinkie-Di

I also voted for Brett Partridge even if I've some suspicions about Ray Haffner.

Hayseed Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 4:43 PM | Message # 10
Bee's Knees

I hope it is Kirkland and that he is somehow connected to Patrick Jane's past - maybe even a lover of Jane's wife. I like Corrigan as an actor and I think he could really play the part well.

That said, I could also get on board if it were Brett Partridge (he is irksome) especially if Brett Partridge turned out to be Brett Stiles' son. There is a certain wonderful poetry to having the villain introduced in the first episode.

Stiles is too old, Bertram is bald, Reede and the Sheriff are too "out of the blue." Haffner is possible, but I can't believe that he would pretend to be "outsmarted" by Jane. Maybe I will be fooled, and I'd be okay with that one, too, I guess.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 4:54 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

I think Ray Haffner fits the profile. He is the quiet type who can hold a grudge. He was in the first episode of Season 3 which coincides with Bruno's comment that we had already seen RJ. Stiles is too short and Bertram too tall. Kirkland is after RJ for different reasons (perhaps same as PJ) the others just don't do it for me except maybe as minions.

Juney Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 4:57 PM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

I really haven't a clue. Kirkland obviously is warped and with ulterior motives, after all he did murder one of RJ's minions and he did have access to Jane's name board (and would know that he was a suspect) so is a likely candidate. I think I'll vote for him. Bertram would be my back up guess.

June Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 6:59 PM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

I vote for Partridge. I have a feeling getting stronger that he's Red John. He was in the pilot and we knew him being ridiculed, scorned by Jane. Let's imagine, the first time we see Jane doing that and it does to Red John. Creepy! His presence in the last episode of this season, telling that who killed Eileen wasn't Red John and Jane treating him like rubbish again. A key episode that stars a hunt against time for Jane. His voice, I don't know if it's the same but it's so similar and unpleasant!
And the most important thing for me, he hasn't personality, he's an uninteresting, mediocre, freaky man, with inferiority complex. Who better than him to be a serial killer? A psycho? Bertram, Stiles, Kirkland or Haffner are strong characters, they are good opponents for Jane, I think he respects them. But Partridge? He represents the banality of evil.

I don't know what will happen finally but that's my thought.

AgentM Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 8:31 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Okay, so as y'all probably know by now ('cos I've said it soooooooooo many times! LOL!) Brett Partridge is my choice. I've been set on him since the end of season 2. There have been many clues sprinkled within the show that point towards him. I agree with all of the reasons that everyone who voted for him have stated.

He was in the pilot and the simple answer is to apply Occum's Razor in this situation -- Partridge's first words are a stage direction "Red John enters here" !!! I think it is that simple. -- Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. Bruno answered the question in the very first episode! That's why I love his genius...he has managed to create an incredible chase (by millions of people around the world) of a mysterious figure that has already introduced himself! That, my friends, takes talent.

My theory (I know I've said it loads of times more in other areas of this site, but what the heck, I'll say it again...) :

Partridge is Brett Stiles' son;
Patrick Jane is Brett Stiles' son; (they may be half-brothers...mothers caught up in Vizualise and Stiles' cult 'wives')
I think Stiles knows this (that's why he has an affinity for PJ - they are very alike in many ways)

The references to William Blake tie in with this - Tyger Tyger is the obvious clue (Lion and Lamb's creator and all that) But Jane was also reading the poem A Divine Image in the season 3 opening episode - another reference to Stiles, I believe, in that it talks about God in human form ....Stiles is worshipped (dare I say it, like a God) and he created both Jane and Partridge aka Red John.

I could go on.... there are many psychological factors as well as physical evidence in episodes (forensic issue lighting rigs and dust brushes found at the scene of Kristina Frye's discovery being just two clues....)

So, in a nutshell, Partridge is Red John, I'm certain of it. The rest is just smoke and mirrors...Bruno is the ultimate con artist.

Message edited by AgentM - Monday, 01-Jul-13, 8:32 PM

Hayseed Date: Monday, 01-Jul-13, 10:45 PM | Message # 15
Bee's Knees

He was in the pilot and the simple answer is to apply Occum's Razor in this situation -- Partridge's first words are a stage direction "Red John enters here" !!! I think it is that simple

This is the most convincing argument I have heard for this.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Poll: Which of the 7 suspects is Red John
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz