Friday, 26-Apr-24, 1:04 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
bee Date: Saturday, 05-Apr-14, 8:59 PM | Message # 676
Fair Dinkum

I'd also like to know what Bosco actually said to Jane on his deathbed, what really happened to Kristina Frye and why she was put in that catatonic state and also would have liked Jane to come up against Erica Flynn again as she literally got away with murder and got one over on Jane....unthinkable! There are probably a lot more questions that we'll never know the answer to. Oh well, some mysteries will remain just that....mysteries! suspect

Sandra Date: Monday, 07-Apr-14, 1:16 AM | Message # 677
Jillaroo

I agree, there are still so many unanswered questions! It really would be nice to be able to have some answers!!!

258pce Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 2:09 AM | Message # 678
Cobber

I agree with you Bee, but the way they dismissed 5 years worth of Red John clues and left us hanging regarding the back story doesn't give me much confidence.

258pce Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 9:30 AM | Message # 679
Cobber

Here's an article that includes some comments about Chris Long--as showrunner for the Mentalist and negotiations for S7:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news....-694512

Excerpt:
The Mentalist may or may not be picked up for its seventh season by CBS. Long suggested that Warner Bros production chieftain Peter Roth (repping the studio that produces and distributes the show) and CBS CEO Leslie Moonves were probably “huddled right now” to make a deal – or not. And if not, Long thinks the Simon Baker starrer very well could go elsewhere, with TNT being a possible contender. “The show does have 50 million viewers around the world so, well, we’ll see,” he told THR after the session.

angel Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 11:41 AM | Message # 680
Cobber

This is very encouraging. TNT buy repeats so why not new series at 16 epis. They make money easy n still moqe countries yet to get it

Fran Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 11:57 AM | Message # 681
Fair Dinkum

Thanks 258pce. There's also an interview at MIPTV - Creatives Talk: Tom Fontana & Chris Long share showrunner secrets, Two of today's best-respected TV creators shared production stories at MIPTV this afternoon.

Excerpt of Chris Long's comments:
What have been the biggest challenges you’ve encountered in keeping your shows fresh season after season?
“Simon Baker’s kept us on for years. He is the heart and soul of the Mentalist. Keeping that on for six years is the tricky part. Often in American TV, when you don’t know if you’re getting picked up or not, you can tend to peak too early. Out of the gate we were a hit worldwide, so we knew. It was easier.”

One creator told me S3 and S4 are toughest seasons. Is that your experience?
“We hit our stride in season 3 or 4 (of The Mentalist),” said Long. “I think we hiccupped in the first season, where the show swung from its darkest moments to its lightest moments.”

Do you work much with directors and show creators?
“I’ve made my living working hand in hand with people like Tom,” said Long. “The vision of a show, gives me more authorship than in a film. I don’t see myself as an obstacle to directors; I want directors to have opinions. Our actors want to be directed; I’m in charge of the overall vision and look. The director’s role has gotten bigger.” He went on to say that a higher quality of director is coming into TV, because the money in film isn’t what it used to be.

There are also differences between working on network versus cable TV.
“With network TV we have to hit a time every week,” said Long, “whereas with cable you don’t have that. The things that get lifted are moments and production value. That’s a hard figure to hit, it’s something like 44 minutes and 60 seconds.”

What considerations go into canceling a series?
“There’s many,” said Long, who pointed to the success of The Mentalist — its worldwide audience is 50 million viewers — but observed that it hasn’t yet been renewed for a seventh season. “Deals are being made right now. Whatever deals are made, we’re pawns in that game. And it’s a game that’s played every single year.”

Do you have a preference between pilot or straight-to-series?
“Everybody says ‘how much longer can pilot season in America continue this way’? It’s a crazy system!” said Long. “It’s good because you know right away if you’re going to move forward. But it’s not conducive to getting talent and the money they want.”

Are there any future projects that you’d like to get on-screen?
“I’m looking at a thing in England at the moment,” said Long, who also took the opportunity to plug his documentary, A Tale of Two Thieves, which did its closing screening at MIP on Sunday. “I’m very excited about it, about moving more into something beyond drama and scripted programming.”

http://blog.mipworld.com/2014....faJWgSk

Wand6122360 Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 1:20 PM | Message # 682
Bee's Knees

Thanks 258 pce and Fran. Where there's hope there's life. The cast is gelling so well it would be a pity to cancel the show now. Plus, I need more Simon Baker et al.

sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 4:58 PM | Message # 683
Bee's Knees

I agree, Simon had signed on for 7 seasons, so no problem there. I hope Warner Brothers and CBS can come to an agreement soon and get off the proverbial fence.

258pce Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 7:05 PM | Message # 684
Cobber

thanks Fran, for posting extended excerpts and on front page. Any single ray of sunshine is a balm for my soul.

June Date: Wednesday, 09-Apr-14, 7:19 PM | Message # 685
Bee's Knees

Very interesting interview.

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 13-Apr-14, 11:51 AM | Message # 686
Fair Dinkum

On her Twitter account, Nina Corrado( Mentalist Producer, Director):

Nina Corrado ‏@ncorrado
What city would you like Jane and the team to solve a case in? @mentalistwriter @Mentalist_CBS #men7alist

01:34 - 13 avr. 2014

Is it a good sign? If she's asking for suggestions for future episodes, she may have some strong hopes, don't you think?

bee Date: Sunday, 13-Apr-14, 11:55 AM | Message # 687
Fair Dinkum

I agree DSP...but this waiting is agony! cry

June Date: Sunday, 13-Apr-14, 2:45 PM | Message # 688
Bee's Knees

I hope so!!!

Tina Date: Sunday, 13-Apr-14, 6:13 PM | Message # 689
Fair Dinkum

The waiting is really hard..I've never wanted anything regarding tv so much as I want
this 7th season of TM. I just NEED it!

Evy Date: Sunday, 13-Apr-14, 10:31 PM | Message # 690
Fair Dinkum

An answer to your question DS Pallas ????

Nina Corrado‏@ncorrado·
12th april

Sunset in Islamorada. I wonder if Jane and the team will have a case here soon? @Mentalist_CBS #men7alist

https://twitter.com/ncorrado/status/455120030448230400/photo/1

Message edited by Evy - Sunday, 13-Apr-14, 10:32 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz