Saturday, 18-May-24, 7:09 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 03-Jun-14, 1:32 PM | Message # 721
Fair Dinkum

I stumbled upon this article. It's a point if view on The Mentalist that dates from the 1st season, so I find it interesting because, after 6 seasons of living with the TV show, we fans obviously have (well some of us at least!) a biased view on the series. We love the show, and this implies feelings and a emotional "commitment" (relatively speaking, of course, it' just TV entertainment happy )
It has been said here recently, in the discussion about the finale, that the end of the season and the last episode appeared deceiving for some of us, mostly because they think TM was "different" and so deserved a "different" closure than the one chosen by the writers (ie the "romantic" angle). I can understand this reaction, and absolutely respect it, but I don't share it.
I tend to think TM was not so different from other CBS procedurals, so there's no such disappointment for me with season 6 and the "After red John" part (on the contrary). The main difference for me was and will always be the complexity of Patrick Jane character, perfectly embodied by the charm and talent of S. Baker.

If you're interested, read this article and let me know what you think!

http://www.newsvine.com/_news....a-twist

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 03-Jun-14, 4:40 PM | Message # 722
Bee's Knees

The writer is on the nose about procedurals and why they appeal to fans of the genre. However, his dismissal of the characters as banal and imitative really irked me. I do understand that not all episodes can be winners but so many were amazingly written and forceful so as to overcome the not so great ones. The RJ arc served its purpose and many didn't like it's conclusion but all in all the reboot has been on the money albeit I'm not a fan of the lovematch and have yet to see where it leads.

Evy Date: Wednesday, 04-Jun-14, 6:54 PM | Message # 723
Fair Dinkum

The mentalist isn't nominated for the "Festival de Télévision de Monte Carlo 2014" (7 - 11 June) sad

Nor in the category "TV series Drama" or in the category "Price for international TV audience". So I think there will be nobody representing TM this year.

http://www.tvfestival.com/2014/index.php?p=3005&cate=4

Message edited by Evy - Wednesday, 04-Jun-14, 6:55 PM

Tina Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 8:49 AM | Message # 724
Fair Dinkum

No Evy. Nobody from TM is attending the TV Festival in Monte Carlo. I'm happy because I'm not going this year, thankfully there is nobody I really need to see attending. Well of course I love Monte Carlo, so it would be worth going because of this, but not for the festival.

Fran Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 10:37 AM | Message # 725
Fair Dinkum

Quote June ()
Fantastic! I have another one. Season 3. Episode "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Lisbon found her laptop in Jane's attic. There is a frozen frame of Jane on the screen, Lisbon turns the computer on. Jane is talking about what kind of woman is looking for while Lisbon is listening with a genuine expression of love on her face. She's like: "It's me" and he says: "She was". I love that scene.

Do you have any scene more?

Yes, that's a great moment. This is quite difficult so has taken me a while. But I've finally decided on a scene from 1.10 Red Brick & Ivy where Jane is telling Lisbon that Sophie was his psychiatrist. Lisbon comments that she must be a good psychiatrist to keep him in the room and Jane simply replies "It was a locked room". At that moment it seemed to me that everything changed - I may not be remembering correctly but I think this was the first time we saw that Jane trusted Lisbon enough to show his vulnerability.

And this is such a superbly acted scene, on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkuJ35oLqug

Tina Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 11:33 AM | Message # 726
Fair Dinkum

I love that moment too when Jane told Lisbon about Sophie! One of my absolutely favorite TM scenes.
Just watching Season 1, so this episode is coming up soon smile

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 4:35 PM | Message # 727
Bee's Knees

The scene when Kristina Frye tells him her vision of his child not being aware of RJ about to murder her, his distress, but how Grace closes the door to give him privacy, that moment of vulnerability is one of the few when Jane breaks down over his family.

Fran Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 5:36 PM | Message # 728
Fair Dinkum

Yes, but we're talking about memorable Jane & Lisbon moments and Lisbon isn't in that scene. Jane believes he's alone at that moment.

bee Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 6:15 PM | Message # 729
Fair Dinkum

There are so many memorable moments that it's difficult to pick just one but one of the most memorable scenes for me was when Lisbon saved Jane from drowning in Season 4.10 Fugue in Red. Her utter distress at seeing him lying in the water, possibly dead, and as small as she is, pulling him on to the bank all the while calling for help and then holding her cross while tearfully watching the paramedics trying to get Jane breathing again. Also the final scene when she takes Jane back to his old home in Malibu and seeing Jane suddenly remember what happened to his wife and child.....so moving.

June Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 8:04 PM | Message # 730
Bee's Knees

The Mentalist is full of memorable moments with Jane and Lisbon. If I make a little effort I can remember a few, including yours. What reminds me these Bruno Heller's words: "The characters develop their own dynamic and direction as truth is revealed, and it seemed to us that love blossoms. There is a genuine feeling there between the two characters that had to be honored, one that was just natural and organic". Now that I already know the happy ending, I can't help to look back and see all those moments as a prelude, like pieces of a puzzle that finally fit together. My romantic side, I guess.

Message edited by June - Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 8:05 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 05-Jun-14, 11:37 PM | Message # 731
Bee's Knees

I am not a romantic, but a realist and these moments with Lisbon may have escaped me, but as a mother and grandmother, the moments where Jane is with children, the look in his eyes bespeak his own feeling as the Jane character and as Simon the father. There is a genuineness that nothing to do with acting although as Jane, Simon has shown such a range of emotions seldom seen on a TV program. Robin Tunney is a very good actress, but not on a par with Baker. Of course this is my opinion.

KathyF Date: Friday, 06-Jun-14, 5:30 AM | Message # 732
Rip Snorter

His acting is so understated..I love that about him. He said somewhere that he doesn't like "acting acting" In other words, he doesn't have the chew up the scenery!

Tina Date: Friday, 06-Jun-14, 8:52 AM | Message # 733
Fair Dinkum

I don't know if it was mentioned already, I also love the end of Season 4, when Jane lies there on the floor and Lisbon comes to check if he is okay and he takes her hand. And the scene before he "shoots" her, when he says "love you" and then hugs her.

June Date: Friday, 06-Jun-14, 2:07 PM | Message # 734
Bee's Knees

Yes, Tina. That's one of my favorite too and I think it's one of the more meaningful of the series. The way Jane takes Lisbon's hand, closes his eyes and inclines his head to her. Speechless. That's why I love The Mentalist.

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 06-Jun-14, 3:09 PM | Message # 735
Fair Dinkum

And in "Red Velvet Cupcakes", the moment when Lisbon and Jane are both in the car, listening to the radio while Rigsby and Van Pelt are in the studio undercover, pretending to be a couple having communication issues?
I absolutely love the innuendo, the parallel between what the young agents are saing with Jane & Lisbon history.

And the looks! at 0:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocesqtVtG8I

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz