The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Red John storyline - Poll
Red John storyline - Poll
How do you think the Red John storyline should play out?
1. RJ should not be revealed until the final season [ 11 ] [25.00%]
2. RJ should be revealed earlier, but he shouldn't be caught until the final season [ 28 ] [63.64%]
3. RJ should be revealed and caught before the final season [ 5 ] [11.36%]
Answers total: 44
Fran Date: Wednesday, 29-Feb-12, 2:57 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

I've seen different opinions about whether or not the Red John storyline should be resolved before the final season, so I thought it would be interesting to find out what most members here thought.

Please vote above and feel free to comment on your choice.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 29-Feb-12, 3:10 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

I definitely don't want RJ to be revealed and caught before the end, but I quite like the idea of the audience knowing who he is but him avoiding capture until the end, so that's what I've voted for. I think this would change things a little bit without losing the audience who want to see closure, and I think it would provide scope for some interesting mind games.

angel Date: Wednesday, 29-Feb-12, 5:47 PM | Message # 3
Cobber

Thank you fran for adding a new take on this. I too want him caught at the end in a big finale but it sounds interesting to find out who he is and having him dance around the cbi as they cannot catch or touch him until eventualy the team come thru in the end and nail him. But deffo not get him before the end as the show incorporates all that is Red john and you cannot get rid of him beforehand.

bee Date: Wednesday, 29-Feb-12, 5:55 PM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

I do not want RJ revealed and caught before the end because I think it would lose the suspense factor. Not knowing keeps the audience's attention, causes much debate and also there would be the surprise element at the very end of the series. I would be fearful that on knowing the identity of RJ some people may lose interest and stop watching.

kul65 Date: Wednesday, 29-Feb-12, 10:13 PM | Message # 5
Cobber

If the actual Red John is anywhere near as awesome as Timothy Carter, I want to see him revealed before the end and then played as an active villan for a season or two till the finale. Look at Hannibal Lecter, look at John "Jigsaw" Kramer and James Moriarty (Here referring to BBC Sherlock's version). All killers revealed long before the end and even more interesting as they were. Look at Bret Stiles in this very series! They could pull it off, and done right it could actually win back some of the "Booh, just stringing us along"-fans. smile

Message edited by kul65 - Wednesday, 29-Feb-12, 10:14 PM

lionking Date: Thursday, 01-Mar-12, 0:03 AM | Message # 6
Blow-In

I want to keep up the suspense of the chase until the last episode but I don't want a random actor introduced right at the end as RJ, like a rabbit from a hat. I would much prefer a build up, with a RJ reveal, an exploration of his motivations and hopefully some interaction with Jane as the net closes in. SB is brilliant in emotional confrontation scenes and I want to see PJ slowly piecing together the clues with the help of the team. The finale would be much more satisfying for me with this scenario.

Geli Date: Thursday, 01-Mar-12, 7:06 AM | Message # 7
Surfie

You could have had a fourth option: 'I don't care either way'. Guess I'm in the minority so far, voting for 3.
Yes, Simon Baker is a VERY GOOD actor, so much so I can find his past portrayals of PJ's emotions/actions regarding RJ at times overwhelming, unsettling, haunting, moving, thoughtprovoking... In a way I'd be glad if it was over before the final season, simply because it's so intense at times.
I think I'd still enjoy watching the show after RJ is revealed/caught. My favorite Miss Marple actress is Margaret Rutherford, those movies have no RJ drama, yet I enjoy them.
Of course, if it were to turn out that PJ is RJ, he'll probably wind up in prison or a hospital. I hope PJ will find peace and forgiveness in the end. Being consumed by his desire to avenge his dead family shouldn't be the end goal of his life. There is more to life than revenge and hatred.
I think the writers have the right to go whichever way they want with the story. Why should they take specific groups of fans' views/preferences into account? I've read speculation before they wouldn't do certain things because it would be bad for future syndication and DVD sales. But what if they were not to care about those spinoff aspects and instead just wrote and produced what they really wanted. To me it's like art, or painting, who can tell the artist what to paint? ...

Nixenkind Date: Thursday, 01-Mar-12, 4:55 PM | Message # 8
Jillaroo

I beg to differ- if the ratings plummet, "The Mentalist" might not even make it to some kind of conclusion, that's what I fear most, so I hope the ratings will stay stable. Too many series just stop anywhere because the network canceled them on short notice- I so hope that won't happen with TM. Heller simply can't antagonize the fans completely, and I'm absolutely sure he tries to prevent it. Hollywood is more industry than art, that's simply a fact.
If Patrick Jane were Red John, that would be pretty much the worst disappointment the creators of the show could throw my way, and I don't believe that I'm the only one who would see it like this. So I absolutely don't believe they gonna do that (by the way, there is an interview with Bruno Heller where he admits that at the beginning he entertained thoughts about a "Jekyll/Hyde"-scenario, but decided against it because it wouldn't be a conclusion for the audience, stating that "in the end, the audience wants the harpoon to go in."). I simply don't believe it...period :D.
I chose nr.1 for my answer, because in general, I don't want Red John revealed until the show ends. But I can well imagine some ways Heller could reveal his identity some time before the finale that would work really well...we'll see.
I absolutely agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to make this last episode introducing an entirely new character as Red John the audience has never seen before...that would simply be unsatisfactory. So they have to create some kind of build-up first.

Message edited by Nixenkind - Thursday, 01-Mar-12, 4:57 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 01-Mar-12, 6:01 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

I voted for the reveal and not the capture since it would be interesting to see how Patrick resolves that situation possibly on his own towads the end so as not to engage the team in a conflagration that would end their careers, he will have his revenge however since this is what the show is all about but not without cost. Revenge is, as we know , a meal best served cold, so it would probably happen without a huge fanfare as we see Patrick commit to it and as was mentioned before, Baker is best at silent emotional displays and we will see the disintegration of that man after the fact.

68Dove Date: Friday, 02-Mar-12, 9:49 AM | Message # 10
Blow-In

I believe RJ should be revealed and caught on the very last episode of the last season. I also think it would be great for Jane's mental health to be the one to do it, but, I think that in the final scene, Red John escapes (considering all his "inside people" which would give Patrick, Lisbon and all an opener for a MOW (movie of the week) to close it up.

For the movie I think RJ should be on the verge of being caught, turn around, look at Patrick and Theresa close behind him, smile oh so wickedly and say, "Patrick, you've been a most worthy competitor", take a cyanide pill and die in front of them. Leaving Jane feeling "out-witted" by RJ again. killed

bee Date: Friday, 02-Mar-12, 12:53 PM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

I have voted that RJ should not be caught until the final season but as there may be at least two more seasons (hopefully) for the RJ storyline to develop, Jane's revenge could eventually send him insane, for who knows what that can do to his mind. He is after all a "loose cannon" in some respects. After finally catching RJ perhaps we may see Jane in a psychiatric hospital with Lisbon (and their daughter (!)) visiting him. I know that is a very morbid and controversial idea but with all the pain, guilt and grief Jane has suffered over a long period of time, and is still suffering, at times it's hard to imagine a "happy ever after" ending, it would be too perfect. Just a thought ......

Message edited by bee - Friday, 02-Mar-12, 1:32 PM

Fran Date: Friday, 02-Mar-12, 6:38 PM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for voting, an interesting result - I didn't think Option 2 would get the most votes or that Option 3 would get so few. Also, special thanks for some thought-provoking comments. thumb

Juney Date: Sunday, 04-Mar-12, 8:34 PM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

I've voted for 2 although agree with Nixonkind. Series do tend to be ended without notice, with everything left in the air. Just look at The Guardian, heaven knows what happened there. I really, really hope TM goes the whole way.

Sandra Date: Tuesday, 24-Apr-12, 4:47 PM | Message # 14
Jillaroo

If Red John were caught it would give Patrick another opportunity to explore other parts of his life. It could go in so many different dirrections.

RRyan Date: Monday, 07-May-12, 9:20 PM | Message # 15
Blow-In

I voted for 1, since RJ is what drives PJ, and one thing I do love about the show is the suspense factor - it keeps one thinking. However it I do agree it would be nice to see PJ at some level of peace (How much more can the poor guy take?) and moving in newer directions.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Red John storyline - Poll
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz