The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » The Olive Sisters
The Olive Sisters
Tina Date: Monday, 02-Feb-15, 12:09 PM | Message # 16
Fair Dinkum

I'm happy about that too, bee. 2 Movies at least where Simon can talk Australian English. Love his accent!

kim Date: Monday, 02-Feb-15, 6:02 PM | Message # 17
Bee's Knees

Love this quote from early in the book after she meets Jo, "Joe’s eyes were a rather distracting shade of green. Deep and dangerous. One could easily drown in there." that's what I call good casting!

Tina Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 8:47 AM | Message # 18
Fair Dinkum

I love that too kim. That was the first sign that Simon fits perfect for the description of Joe in the book...green eyes smile

I finished reading it yesterday evening. I really love this book! I'm so happy Simon will be a part of this movie. Can't wait to see the characters come to life in a film.
I'm already in love with Joe ....

Tina Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 10:04 AM | Message # 19
Fair Dinkum

Now that we have names, I did a little guessing who will be who. So my guess is:

Leslie Mann - Adrienne
Simon - Joe
Jackie Weaver - maybe Joe's mom?
Josh Lucas - Jack
Gia Carides - Rosanna
Melissa George - Isabelle
Anthony LaPaglia HAS to be Franco

As Fran already said, this movie most likely will happen before Breath.
But I'm okay with it, so happy about Simon's choice.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 12:38 PM | Message # 20
Fair Dinkum

From Deadline, as posted on Home Page
(EFM = European Film Market)

‘Olive Sisters’ Grows Family With Jacki Weaver, Josh Lucas & More – Berlin

EXCLUSIVE: Australian director Fred Schepisi’s Simon Baker/Leslie Mann-starring romantic drama, The Olive Sisters, has added several cast members ahead of the EFM in Berlin this week. Anthony LaPaglia, Jacki Weaver, Melissa George, Gia Carides, Josh Lucas and Alexandra Schepisi have all boarded the adaptation of Amanda Hampson’s bestselling novel which was short-listed at the 2006 Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards.

The story focuses on Adrienne Bennett (Mann), a successful businesswoman with an enviable lifestyle. But when her business goes down the tubes, her life falls apart and her self-confidence quickly crumbles. She is forced to move from her chic New York apartment to the small rural community of Duffy’s Creek, Australia and the run-down olive grove she has inherited from her grandparents. Initial culture shock give way to a personal treasure hunt through the history of a family she barely knew. As she works to restart her life, Adrienne strikes up a friendship with the ruggedly handsome and intriguing Joe which leads her down the road of startling self-discovery.

Arclight Films is handling world rights outside Oz, New Zealand and North America and will kick off sales at the EFM. Producers are Bonnie Burgess for Sorelle Productions and James M Vernon for Screen Corporation.

“I’m very excited to be working with such an amazing cast on such a rich and compelling story,” said Schepisi. “The story, made so popular by Amanda Hampson, skillfully captures the moments, emotions and thoughts that we all have in common, as we strive to discover who we really are and what our place in the world is and why belonging to family really matters.”
Ian Baker (Evan Almighty) is DP and David Hirschfelder (The Water Diviner) is handling original music.

http://deadline.com/2015....1365086

bee Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 7:03 PM | Message # 21
Fair Dinkum

Read the book in a day (couldn't put it down). A moving story and can imagine that Simon will fit the role of Joe so well. smile

ruuger Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 8:20 PM | Message # 22
Cobber

Hmmm... According to this article, Simon's agent has said that he is not attached to the film.

http://if.com.au/2015/02/03/article/UPPKBLKGID.html

Though it could be just that the negotiations are still ongoing and his involvement is not yet official and the earlier news was leaked prematurely.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 9:30 PM | Message # 23
Fair Dinkum

That's strange...I hope it's not true. Why would Arclight films announce it on their website if not true? It is the production company, isn't it?
I couldn't put the book down too bee. It's so good. Hopefully Simon will talk about his plans in Paris so we know for sure.

Message edited by tinamarianne - Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 9:31 PM

redbird Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 11:47 PM | Message # 24
Dinkie-Di

I read the book earlier today and really enjoyed it. It does sound like Simon would be perfect as Joe. Although I do have to question why he would want this role. As I was reading, it seemed to me that it would be a repeat of the role he played in Something New - a down-to-earth regular guy who once did the whole corporate thing but then finds his true calling living a simpler life who falls in love with a woman who's into the superficial finer things in life. Also, it would be really interesting to see the screenplay for this movie as I would think that the role of Joe would need to be greatly expanded for it to have a major impact on this movie.

kim Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 3:54 PM | Message # 25
Bee's Knees

Redbird- I also just read the book and had the same thoughts. I wondered if his motivation was more about filming in Australia and being able to work in his own country and be home. I would also just enjoy hearing him use his own voice. But the role does seem tailor made for him. He also seems to be letting his hair grow out, as the Joe character is described in the book.

Tina Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 5:01 PM | Message # 26
Fair Dinkum

Maybe after all this crime fighting he just wants to do something light and romantic. And it's shot in Australia.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 2:18 PM | Message # 27
Fair Dinkum

Maybe it's just a hoax?? sad

redbird Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 3:29 PM | Message # 28
Dinkie-Di

Kim - I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion that the reason for accepting this role may be to stay put in Australia. He likes the U.S. but he loves Australia and at this point in his career, there's absolutely no reason for him not to live and work in the place that he loves. While his agent hasn't confirmed that he's signed on to do this film, seeing a picture of him with a trainer - he'd surely have to do some work on his body if he's going to play a guy who works outdoors doing manual labor - and learning that he & Rebecca have just purchased a place in Sydney would both suggest that he's got something going on. Of course, all of this may just be the start-up of his effort to make Breath .............

Fran Date: Wednesday, 11-Feb-15, 12:09 PM | Message # 29
Fair Dinkum

I quite enjoyed the book, although if I'd just been reading it in the normal way I wouldn't have been struck with it as having good movie potential. I found the characters from the past more interesting than the characters from the present. I didn't actually find the character of Joe to be very convincing, I think they'd have to make him a lot more multi-layered for him to be an interesting role for Simon.

So I'm interested to see what changes are made, although it may not be a big project for Simon, he may just be thinking it will be an enjoyable experience and as others have said, the chance to play an Australian in an Australian film with a very good Australian director.

I'm also interested to see how they manage the 2 story threads - concurrently using flashbacks or in chronological order. Amanda Hampson's blog suggests the former (her comment about it being "incredibly complex working out how the two stories intertwine and support each other and in what order the revelations should appear"). But I didn't feel that the book was totally successful in its concurrent approach and I strongly believe that its even more difficult to do that successfully in a movie.

bee Date: Wednesday, 11-Feb-15, 12:39 PM | Message # 30
Fair Dinkum

I agree Fran the role of Joe doesn't seem to be a very big part for Simon to play (although he fits the rugged description of him well). Patrick Jane was a very complex character and we've probably been spoilt by Simon's in-depth characterisation of him. The role of Joe, however, may be just to give Simon some "breathing space" from TM and let the public see Simon in a new role other than that of Patrick Jane. It may well be just a stop gap until Breath gets under way, well that's the hope anyway! As for the two threads of the story I'm hoping it's not going to be too confusing, it's far easier to depict in a book than on screen.

Having said all that I'm glad Simon is doing an Australian movie with mostly an Australian cast and can't wait to see the result.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » The Olive Sisters
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz