DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 20-Jun-15, 9:05 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

JUDAS KISS 1998.
Written and directed by Sebastian Gutierrez
Cast : Carla Gugino (Coco Chavez)
Simon Baker-Denny (Junior Armstrong)
Emma Thompson (FBI Agent Sadie Hawkins)
Alan Rickman (Detective David Friedman)

A woman and her lover, who has made a living by running sex scams at hotels, decide to enter the big time by kidnapping a computer company owner and demanding $4 million ransom. The two hire a tech wizard and a muscle man, who amuses himself by playing Russian roulette. Things go awry during the kidnapping when a neighbor is killed, who turns out to be the wife of a powerful senator. As things develop, it turns out that the murder may not have been as accidental as it originally appeared. Slowly things unveil to not to be everything that was originally thought.

••••••

I love this movie and I wanted to add it to the Simon's movies list. He made it after his first cameo in LA Confidential. I recently found this article and liked the enthusiasm of the journalist… smile

AUSSIES AT TORONTO 98

PAUL FISCHER continues his coverage of the 23rd Toronto International Film Festival with special reports on what the Australians are doing there.

17/9/98: BAKER-DENNY - FIRST MAJOR US ROLE
Aussie actor Simon Baker-Denny is in Toronto for the world premiere of his latest US film, Judas Kiss, an exhilarating comedy-thriller that crackles and sizzles with excitement, colour and irreverent humour. First time writer/director Sebastian Gutierrez has crafted a nifty crime thriller with just enough twists and turns to make for compelling entertainment. Baker-Denny and the alluring Carla Chavez play Junior and Coco a pair of scam artists who take a step upwards to the more risky crime arena of kidnapping. Their mark? A billionaire computer whiz. Everything gores smoothly until a woman mysteriously appears and is shot dead by Coco. It turns out the woman's husband is a prominent Senator who demands results. Trying to unravel both the kidnapping and the murder are a pair of cynical, wisecracking cops (plays with delicious drollery by Britain's Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman). Judas Kiss, as the title suggests, is about betrayal, but who betrays who makes for one suspenseful yarn. Here is a movie that perfectly mixes degrees of wry, sardonic humour, sex and intrigue, into a deft little cinematic potboiler, which shows enough flair for its debut director, to allow for one promising career. Baker-Denny oozes charisma and gives a wonderful performance in his first major US role [he was fleetingly seen in last year's L.A. Confidential], and is a force to be reckoned with, while the sultry Ms Chavez, currently in Brian De Palma's Snake Eyes, gives a star-turning performance As Carla. Beautifully shot, and smartly directed with a brisk pace, Judas Kiss is a savvy piece of film noirish entertainment, and a great vehicle for inevitable Aussie Baker-Denny. At time of writing, the film had not been sold for Australian distribution.

Source

Tina Date: Saturday, 20-Jun-15, 10:52 AM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

Thank you DS. Maybe it's time to watch the movie one more time (at least Simon's scenes).
I've seen it only once a few years ago.

The great thing is that Simon is in this movie with now a very popular German actor and filmmaker, Til Schweiger, and Simon also talked about him in German interviews (and he told Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, that he worked with Til when he het her at Warner Bros. on the set of TM some years ago ).

Ivana Date: Saturday, 20-Jun-15, 6:36 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

Thanks DSP for interesting info. I've seen the movie last year and liked it very much smile

kim Date: Sunday, 21-Jun-15, 1:02 AM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

Thanks DS_P. I have enjoyed this film several times since I found it last year. I am amazed by Simon's ability to acquire an accent. I thought that he was great in this movie. I like that the writer in the little article referred to him as "the inevitable", foreshadowing that he would become a huge star.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 23-Jun-15, 9:59 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

I don't know what to think about Alan Rickman or emma Thomson's fake accents in the film happy , but they are part of my favourite actors.

For those who haven't seen it, You can watch the movie on Youtube, in 10 vids here on this page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tostilicious/videos

Ivana Date: Tuesday, 23-Jun-15, 4:51 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

oh, thanks DSP, right for my mood today

DaboGirl Date: Friday, 26-Jun-15, 5:47 PM | Message # 7
Jillaroo

I was happy to discover this film besides Simon the addition of Emma Thomas and the fabulous Alan Rickman has made it one of my favorites.

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 06-Sep-17, 5:49 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

Article about JUDAS KISS, 2000 (thnaks to Entwife Incognito)

http://entwife-incognito.tumblr.com/image/165017901935

Tina Date: Thursday, 07-Sep-17, 8:04 AM | Message # 9
Fair Dinkum

Simon in a movie with one of Germany's most successful actors, Til Schweiger biggrin .

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Judas Kiss
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz