Friday, 10-May-24, 10:11 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 2:50 PM | Message # 106
Fair Dinkum

Here it is! DS Pallas Translation service! happy

From French Mag L'Express Styles - March 12 2014

The actor of TV Series The Mentalist is the face of Gentlemen Only Intense, the latest Givenchy perfume. We've met him in Los Angeles, ad he gave us the secrets of his sleek style.
by Valentine Petry

Simon Baker, cool personified.

The L.A. sun is warming the Hotel Marmont terrace. On this February morning, Simon Baker, in navy blue suit, is all smiles, with his tidily dishevelled golden locks, his tanned complexion, and his disarming politeness. The actor has left the set of The Mentalist for a few days, where he plays the lead role since 2008. The forty-something we have already seen on the big screen in "The devil wears Prada" brought to this TV show an extra chic, dressed in his three-pieces suit and driving his vintage Citroën DS. His "dandy cool" touch has largely contributed to the series' success ; six seasons after the first broadcast, each episode get 6 millions of faithful viewers. He suggested the look of his character, Patrick Jane, a mentalist turned into an investigator. Inspired by the legendary Charlie Chaplin's tramp, he choosed a three-piece suit, the vest a remininscense of his past as a magician, and the worn shoes evoking some carelessness. Behind his laid back look, the actor is also interested in fashion, even if his life - married for 15 years, father of three - is miles away from the one of a fashion addict. But Simon Baker has a style, clean, refined, down to his polished shoes. No wonder he is the ambassador of the latest Givenchy perfume.

Born in Tasmania, SB grew up on the East coast of Australia. "I always carry this heritage with me" he explains, "I love the culture and history that Paris reflects, but I grew up in a very much less sophisticated place. I still enjoy that simplicity, spiritually and esthetically".
So, his daily style is sober. "For me, the essence of beauty is simply feeling good, being confident", he adds. "It's my main goal, when I put on a suit in the morning".
Hedonistic rather than narcissistic, then: "In L.A., what only matters is results and work", he regrets. "In Australia, the quality of live is essential. There's a second part in a day, dedicated to leasure, after work". As it happens for him, surfing. "Los Angeles is not the ideal spot. But I spend 2 months every year in my home near Byron Bay (in Australia) and there, I make the most of it".
As a child, he was irresistibly attracted by the ocean and board sports. " I was fascinated, almost hypnotised, without undestanding what it was. It looks like modern dance, yoga and athletics all mixed together. It's so beautiful! ".
For him on the other hand, surfer clothing, it's a thanks, but no thanks. He prefers "well cut clothes, simple but of high-quality".
His mother was a seamstress, and sewed his clothes. Simon has spent hours standing on the kitchen table, while she was putting pieces of cloth together. THat is where his love for hand-crafted work and tailor-made suit comes from.

How to talk about the style without mentioning the image?
Simon Baker is passionate about photography, he always takes his Leica along with him. Before being a TV hero, he studied photography. " For years, I had a dark room at home. I developed my own films. At the end of the day, I would get 3 or 4 pictures. There was a tangible and final result, it was very cheering ".
When he starts to work , it also observation that feeds him. On the shooting of "L.A. Confidential", his first film in the US, his coworker was Kevin Spacey. "He was carefree and creative. He was having fun, all seemed so easy, though he was a hard worker" he says. " I always keep in mind this fake lightness ".
Hard to sum up Simon Baker: sensitive and relaxed, virile and elegant… The Givenchy's perfumer, Françoise Donche, succeeded in creating a fragrance that is just like him: contrasting, woody, with an ambergris scent, more sensual than the previous one, but comfy. The result? A "very human and sensitive" jus, "just like Simon", in her words.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Monday, 17-Mar-14, 2:58 PM

Tina Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 3:25 PM | Message # 107
Fair Dinkum

Thank you DS Pallas

amanda Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 3:55 PM | Message # 108
Cobber

Thank you so much DS_Pallas. You're impressive. What work this translation for us.

bee Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 4:12 PM | Message # 109
Fair Dinkum

Many thanks DS Pallas, much appreciated.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 5:55 PM | Message # 110
Bee's Knees

Thank you DS Pallas for the translation....a nice article

Ivana Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 6:12 PM | Message # 111
Fair Dinkum

Thank you for the translation DS Pallas, you are great

Juney Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 6:29 PM | Message # 112
Bee's Knees

What a lovely Givenchy picture. I hope they use this one as a promotion.

Deedee Date: Monday, 17-Mar-14, 10:10 PM | Message # 113
Bee's Knees

Thanks very much for the translation DS Pallas. hands

258pce Date: Tuesday, 18-Mar-14, 7:10 AM | Message # 114
Cobber

gosh! that's a pretty sophisticated translation service, DS. Lots of very nuanced wording. Great job--really appreciated it.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 18-Mar-14, 12:40 PM | Message # 115
Fair Dinkum

Thanks, but I know I make mistakes… I'm pretty self-taught in English (and Italian too). Wish I had learn it in Uni.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 18-Mar-14, 2:06 PM | Message # 116
Fair Dinkum

Thanks very much for the translation DSP. I don't think I knew that Simon had his own dark room and developed his own films, or maybe I'd just forgotten it. I remember him doing it in Sunset Strip of course biggrin

Hayseed Date: Tuesday, 18-Mar-14, 4:55 PM | Message # 117
Bee's Knees

Thank you very much for the translation, DSDallas! I loved the story about his mom tailoring his clothes - reminded me of that scene in Blue Heaven.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 20-Mar-14, 7:11 PM | Message # 118
Fair Dinkum

SIMON BAKER on Ellen Degeneres Show - Wednesday April 2d

http://www.ellentv.com/episodes/sophia-grace-and-rosie-simon-baker/

June Date: Thursday, 20-Mar-14, 7:46 PM | Message # 119
Bee's Knees

Thanks DS Pallas, you make my day! I wish we watch the interview knowing already that the series has been renewed.

amanda Date: Thursday, 20-Mar-14, 8:16 PM | Message # 120
Cobber

It's a very good show with Ellen up

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz