Monday, 29-Apr-24, 4:05 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 03 Not One Red Cent (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
03 Not One Red Cent
Fran Date: Friday, 28-Sep-12, 5:59 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

5.03 Not One Red Cent

A BANK EMPLOYEE IS MURDERED DURING A HEIST AND JANE AND THE TEAM MUST WORK TO TRACK DOWN THE KILLER, WHILE LISBON IS PULLED DEEPER INTO THE CBI/FBI RIVALRY, ON "THE MENTALIST," SUNDAY, OCT. 14

Ivan Sergei Returns as FBI Agent Gabe Mancini

"Not One Red Cent" — A bank employee is murdered during a heist and Jane and the team must work to track down the killer. Meanwhile, Lisbon is pulled deeper into the CBI/FBI rivalry, on THE MENTALIST, Sunday, Oct. 14 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Ivan Sergei returns as FBI Agent Gabe Mancini.

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Michael Gaston (Gale Bertram)
Ivan Sergei (Agent Gabe Mancini)
Paul Schulze (John Hutten)
Mark Provencher (Ernie Wright)
Michael Holden (Michael Cashman)
Don Stark (Armin Gagnon)
Joanna Canton (Casey Trenchard)
Aaron Takahashi (Tai Nguyen)
Sandra Thigpen (Laveria Cole)
John Asher (Doug Feiner)
Ricky Saenz (Jorge Arroyo)
Josh Clark (Artie Beck)
Lorinne Vozoff (Ernie's Grandma)
Judi Evans (Senator Eileen Dawkins)
Katie Walder (Nancy Sterling)
Raf Mauro (Niko)

WRITTEN BY: Ken Woodruff
DIRECTED BY: Chris Long

Peithon Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 5:57 AM | Message # 2
Rip Snorter

Average episode, favorite scene, Lisbon waking Jane on the couch and their negotiation. I felt Lisbon walked into Red John's den when she came to gamble...

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 7:09 AM | Message # 3
Bee's Knees

My thoughts exactly, Peithon. Average episode with an interesting ending re Lisbon. But I called it a lion's den in my head. That FBI agent was unpleasantly slimey, and I do hope Lisbon's not really falling for him.

bee Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 11:12 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

This episode was a lot lighter than the previous two but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I wouldn't want to see it too dark all the time and besides it shows Simon's versatility as an actor. He can be so comical and endearing at times but also arrogant and rude at others! The scene in the shoe repair shop was very funny...."It's that time of year again....." and the shopkeeper looking bemused as if he should remember him from a year ago! It amazes me that Jane, who has numerous three piece suits, only has ONE pair of shoes to which he seems to be lovingly attached! Could he have bought them when he was married? (Silly reason I know). Putting the foot powder over his sock was also funny. He's so sweet!

Favourite scene for me was the one where Lisbon woke him up on the couch. It seemed very intimate...could they have got any closer to each other? More please! Did Jane say he liked it when Lisbon "got all authoritarian" with him? Interesting! Also when Jane said "Yeah" (while lying on the couch displaying those shoes to everyone) in answer to Grace's bet with him. Those eyes!!!

In the vault with Lisbon trying to do a deal while he frantically waved his arms (showman style) was hilarious. Could anyone take him seriously while wearing those hideous shoes! I admit I didn't guess the killer....there were too many suspects at this point.

Lisbon agreeing to play poker with Mancini was surprising and a little out of character I thought considering the animosity between the CBI and FBI. I don't know who is playing who here. Can't see that she would be attracted to him (he is a slimeball after all) and he did attack Jane to whom she is fiercely protective. It would be poignant indeed if she was genuinely attracted to him, especially after we saw in last week's episode that Jane has feelings for Lisbon. She could be trying to find out information about Lorelei or perhaps she is trying to smooth things over between the two forces or simply trying to pull him down a peg or two (she is supposedly good at poker)! I also felt she was entering the lions den, especially when Bertram appeared on the scene. I'm still not sure about him, he seems creepy to me always popping up when you least expect it.

I missed the usual banter between Jane and Lisbon at the end but the conversation with Grace was a nice touch. I feel that they are giving her more scenes before she (temporarily) leaves the show. The trick with Jane watching her write down the names was clever. I thought Jane left alone in the office at the end was sad though and I could imagine him sleeping there on his beloved couch. He seems so lonely! Only saw him make ONE cup of tea this episode....do you think the encounter with bella donna put him off tea? Nah! Good episode though.

Message edited by bee - Monday, 15-Oct-12, 1:24 PM

lenacr Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 12:56 PM | Message # 5
Dinkie-Di

Light-hearted episode, and quite enjoyable. Glad to take some rest away from RJ and the big dramas in Jane's life.
I had guessed the killer but I thought that the motive was the loot.
Loved the whole deal with the shoes, quite funny! I also loved Jane's frienship with VanPelt.
As for Lisbon and the FBI agent, I was surprised that she accepted to take part to a game of poker! I don't remember when or where it was stated that she is good at it, but she looked confident anyway. Funny kind of date, though!
But, yes, something sinister about this high-level gambling club!!...

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 1:45 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

Now that I've slept on it, I find I liked the episode more than I initially thought. For example, someone on another board related Jane's white shoes to the statement that external changes can indicate even more profound internal changes. Perhaps Jane was attached to the white shoes because they were a baby step in growing as a person, and so living up to his daughter's expectations.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 3:16 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

I enjoyed the episode, and think that this one maybe was one that set up some further down the line. One that we will re watch and thin....ah THAT'S what that meant......

I'm sure that the poker game is setting Lisbon up for something.....I didn't get any attraction to the FBI agent Mancini....so for me...either RJ was at the poker game, or his mole was. Too many high flyers for it to be on the level.

Interesting that the FBI deny that they have Lorelei!!

This episode was a gentle no bumps ride....probably necessary after the emotional roller coaster ride of last week, and worth it for seeing Jane in socks in the cobbler.

I LOVED the line ' The Cobbler fainted'.......made me think of Jane jumping around yelling 'The Butler did it' in the episode where the man was killed who had been kidnapped by aliens....

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 5:04 PM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

Quaint episode, but not a fave. The white shoes I have seen on so many seniors in Florida, velcro ties and all. Lisbon did not like the shoes either. A few funny moments but nothing memorable. Hard pressed to come up with a good reason to keep this one on my list,

Wand612 Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 5:16 PM | Message # 9
Jillaroo

Sylvia, for me, the hook from this episode is the possible link to Red John in that poker game, and the hint that perhaps Jane is changing. It's the character of Jane that has always kept me fascinated, and has me asking questions after an episode is over. I also think there's a strong possibility that this episode will become more interesting in a broader context. Just like when I rewatch O'Louglin episodes now, I can see exactly how he's playing Grace, and it's really creepy. Incidents that seemed minor at the time take on a whole new meaning.

bee Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 8:47 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Interesting idea about those shoes Wand6122360 and on second viewing I noticed them on the shelf behind him when he was seated in the shop. It was not his choice to wear them, however, although he did seem to have a spring in his step when he had them on ie after he had questioned the bank employees in the garden he bounded up the steps back into the house!! Very funny! But he also seemed to want people to notice them, for instance, when have you ever seen Jane lying on his sofa with his legs over the arm?? Incidentally I noticed that Jane put his own shoes on the table at the end, if you're superstitious something you should never do, it means bad luck!!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 15-Oct-12, 8:51 PM

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 10:09 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

@Bee...I thought exactly that about the shoes on the table...Jane REALLY doesn't need any more bad luck!

Evy Date: Monday, 15-Oct-12, 10:17 PM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

Episode full of humor (with the shoes and the attitude of PJ) but disappointing about the story. It was too easy to guess who had killed. I guess we were likely to know from the beginning that it was the fiancée. what a shame.
An episode a little down especially after last week !

Lena Date: Tuesday, 16-Oct-12, 11:18 AM | Message # 13
Dinkie-Di

Just watched the episode and I enjoyed it.
The scene in the repair shop shoes was amusing.
I liked the scene when Jane proposed a challenge to Grace, about who for first find the name of the bank's robber. (I love the way Jane looks at Grace when she accepted the challenge)
I also liked the interaction between Jane and Lisbon when she woke him on the couch.
For me was unexpected that Lisbon accepted to take part to a poker game with Mancini and I found interesting your comments about a connections between the poker game and Red John.

Message edited by Lena - Tuesday, 16-Oct-12, 11:20 AM

Fran Date: Tuesday, 16-Oct-12, 4:52 PM | Message # 14
Fair Dinkum

This episode was Jane doing his thing using intelligence, humour and his unique style. Those are the ingredients that first attracted me to the show, and they still work for me. So although it was a procedural episode with nothing particularly special about it, I still enjoyed it very much.

Personally, I don’t think there’s any deep meaning to the white shoes. I can understand why some people might think so, as Jane says about Ernie that “powerful external transformations can often coincide with even large internal ones”, but I don’t feel there’s a parallel here, so just see the shoes as some quirky humour. Simon took full advantage of those shoes, and I thought it was great fun, particularly the opening scene in the shoe repair shop, the Lisbon banter, the bank robber looking at them in disbelief by the lift, and Jane checking the victim’s shoes to see if they were his size.

I also loved all the banter between Jane and Grace, and my other favourite moments were when Jane announced Ernie was the insider then said “probably shouldn’t discuss it here”, Jane doing his thing with the bank employees in the garden, and of course the scene with Lisbon waking Jane.

I don’t know what to think about the poker game. I know that Robin is very good at poker, but I don’t think we’ve ever heard anything about Lisbon being keen on it. All sorts of possibilities for Lisbon being involved in this and also the Lisbon/Mancini relationship, so am interested to see what develops.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Tuesday, 16-Oct-12, 5:47 PM | Message # 15
True Blue

Nice and easy...

Haha, will Grace ever get it? After Jane told her he found it out 2 hours before (without proof!) - why didn´t she just turn the game around and told Jane
to write the name down first, and she would have GOT him..!
Nice interaction between Grace and Jane again - I always enjoy that!

Recognised wich name Van Pelt chose without thinking when Jane told her to write down any name:
She still has feelings for Rigsby, and how couldn´t she, right?

For the poker-invitation, I was surprised she accepted it, too and I think she might follow deeper reasons here, as getting somehow deeper into
the scene - interesting, Bertram was there, too! (who says, only one of the names on the list (ref. Strawberries and cream) was a mole?!)
Actually, I was surprised to see Mancini still in charge at all after his outburst in episode 1.

Oh, now that I think about it - wasn´t it Mancini and Lisbon calling eachother with given names in the first ep.?
So, they MAY have a past we, the viewer don´t know yet...

No further words needed on Jane/Simon.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 03 Not One Red Cent (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz