Monday, 29-Apr-24, 8:20 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 06 Cherry Picked (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
06 Cherry Picked
Fran Date: Tuesday, 16-Oct-12, 11:14 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

"Cherry Picked" - The team investigates the kidnapping of a couple that may be the victim of mistaken identity, while Jane continues his investigation into Lorelei’s whereabouts, on THE MENTALIST, at a special time, Sunday Nov. 4 (10:30-11:30 PM, ET/9:30-10:30 PM, CT/10:00-11:00 PM, PT).

Anne Dudek (“House,” “Big Love,”) Guest Stars as Sloan Dietz, One Half of the Kidnapped Couple

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Neil Hopkins (Isaac Goodwin)
Brooke Langton (Pella Goodwin)
J.R. Cacia (Marcus Goodwin)
Wes Chatham (Vince)
Anne Dudek (Sloan Dietz)
Michael Petrone (Gary Dietz)
Rebecca Wisocky (Brenda Shettrick)
Michael Shamus Wiles (Walter DeMunn)
F. William Parker (Guy Perotti)
Holly Kaplan (Shirley Jenkins)
Skye P. Marshall (Sharice)
Kimleigh Smith (Mindy Fernandez)

WRITTEN BY: David Applebaum
DIRECTED BY: John Showalter

bee Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 12:10 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

Thought this was a very good episode written by David Applebaum. The case of the week was full of suspense with lots of twists and turns. Thought the brother Isaac Goodwin was involved. He seemed so obnoxious with little thought for saving the lives of the couple. Didn't guess it was Sloan, how evil was she?

However, as good as the storyline was, I was hooked from the beginning seeing Jane interrogating the drivers using his unique skills. So this was 19 days after Lorelei's disappearance. During the actual kidnapping investigation Jane's mind seemed to be elsewhere, focussed on finding the whereabouts of Lorelei. He seemed tense and "wound up", hence perhaps his unexpected outburst to the kidnapper when he called Lisbon "a bitch". He still managed to solve the case, however. Lisbon shouting "I've been hit" was a good ploy but I must remind myself NEVER to take any notice of spoilers, they can be so deceiving!! Jane seems to want to "go it alone" in his quest for finding Lorelei, and his refusal of help from Lisbon is worrying, (maybe to protect her, I'm not sure), but I don't think Lisbon will let him, especially after his disappearance for six months. Time will tell!

This season is much darker than previous ones and Jane seems more relentless and ruthless in his search for information on RJ. I like the episodes involving Lorelei because of the continuity and sometimes wish that the hunt for RJ was more frequent (rather than just 3 or 4 episodes per season) but of course that would mean the conclusion would be quicker...and God forbid that should happen any time soon!

Funny Moments
Jane listening to opera and annoying everyone!
Jane on the phone to Isaac saying "What are you wearing?"
Lisbon banging on the door trying to talk to Isaac.

Quotes
Lisbon "You don't critisize his performance" pointing to Rigsby. "What about mine?" Jane pulls a face!
Isaac "I don't want their blood on my hands".
Jane "Can't argue with that".

So, it would seem that the FBI has Lorelei....FBI Agent Nemo! The plot thickens!!

Lastly, it's a shame about the day and time change because I feel the "civilians" as I call them, ie the casual viewer who inevitably becomes hooked on the series, will be missing out on what is one of the best shows on TV. Sorry I won't mention that pet peeve again!!

Good all round episode although I seem to be wishing my life away until the next one!

Peithon Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 12:36 PM | Message # 3
Rip Snorter

Most enjoyable episode. Since Jane promised Lorelei freedom if she gives up RJ, he certainly doesn't want Lisbon around. Loved Jane's interrogation of everyone, the opera , Grace saying she'd tell on him if he took one. My favorite line, same as the pilot, I tell you this so you know there is no point...

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 12:43 PM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

'Good all round episode although I seem to be wishing my life away until the next one! '

@Bee, we all seem to be doing the same....!! biggrin

I enjoyed this episode too, it answered a few questions, I'm glad that Jane DIDN'T have her...I didn't want him to be lying to Lisbon that much.

I don't know how Simon does it, and I'm not even sure that I can describe it,but his face is different when he is in obsessed mode......if I didn't have the sound turned up, I think I would just know when he is doing that sort of scene.

This seasons Jane seems to be a mix of cold and vindictive (he made the driver think he wouldn't tell) and gentle and warm (Devil's Cherry/Red Dawn)

Nice case of the week, I have to admit, I hadn't spotted the wife being in on it...I thought the brother was involved.

Good to see Brenda again...I guess that she hasn't forgiven Lisbon for thinking that she was something to do with RJ.....unless of course....she IS!

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 5:53 PM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

Simon did promise we would see a darker side of Patrick, which was always there but kept in check. However, he is looking so tired and woulnd up at the same time.. When I see Simon in public, he looks so much younger and casual than the new Patrick, with the new coiff and maniacal demeanor. I miss the unkempt and childish behaviour of the first seasons. Good acting though. This episode showed an edgier Rigsby and a smiling Cho. Lisbon a bit too nervous and unhinged, something is brewing with her charactor. I hope we are going to catch up with Lorelei soon, since Patrick now seems to know where she is.

PJaneloke Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 8:24 PM | Message # 6
Surfie

I'm so glad that PJ told on the driver, I don't think he will stop raping inmate (condom in his uniform's pocket...).

Can't wait for the next two episodes!

Geli Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 8:26 PM | Message # 7
Surfie

I found the directing style different than others, very quick in the beginning, not straight angle perspectives, and the mood certainly darker. Sure enough, John Showalter was the director, who also directed "Always Bet on Red", also where Jane is "darker". Certainly Mr. Showalter succeeds in getting the job, being darker, edgier, done very well. It makes me question Jane though. I found his laugh when calling Isaac in the kitchen to get him to spill the beans chilling. I also don't trust the public relations woman, Brenda, always found her suspicious.
Favorite scenes: Jane checking the music, again, out comes country, and it makes Grace jump; Rigsby catching popcorn, missed pieces on the floor; Cho smiling; staging the capture of the kidnapper.
When Jane didn't answer Lisbon in the elevator I was waiting to hear "deniability...".
Jane sitting in the chair in the dark when the guard comes home and the way he talks shows he feels more confident now. Seeing the police when he walks out shows that he's covering his back, hopefully documenting the FBI's involvement in moving Lorelei from prison. Hopefully the guard told him where he drove her and Jane's going to be ahead of the FBI.

justlook3 Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 9:27 PM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

Seeing the police when he walks out shows that he's covering his back, hopefully documenting the FBI's involvement in moving Lorelei from prison.

Hmm, I actually thought he'd turned the guard in for the rape. I hope he did.

I was really impressed with the mystery here. I really thought the brother was involved or at least stealing money. Neither seemed to be true. I was impressed with Anne Dudak, the only other thing I've seen her in was Covert Affairs were she played pretty much a one note character as Annie's sister.
Not sure what the deal was with Brenda in this episode. Kinda not needed.
Loved how they managed to give Van Pelt such a big role in the episode despite hiding her behind a computer almost the whole time. Well done. Loved the popcorn and Cho's smile. Loved how Jane got rather pissed off when the kidnapper called Lisbon a bitch. And that whole set up with the microphones and Jane directing. That was classic TM.
Wonder if the next episode will be Jane lite one since Simon directed the next one?

lenacr Date: Monday, 05-Nov-12, 10:16 PM | Message # 9
Dinkie-Di

Excellent episode!
Loved the crime - understood the wife's involvement just after her release! Initially, I had suspected the brother and the supposed abducted couple, separately.
Most interesting and captivating part was the last scene between Jane and the driver. Wonderful acting from Simon; such presence!!!!

Fran Date: Tuesday, 06-Nov-12, 0:57 AM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Oh bother, had convinced myself that Patrick had Lorelei
I suppose it must be the legit FBI that have got her imprisoned somewhere, because if the RJ branch of the FBI had her, I assume she'd be dead by now.

Loved the ep - nice balance of light and dark, humour and intensity. And agree with others that the case of the week was a particularly good one.

Have only watched it once so far, need to watch it again to pick up on some of the finer details, and decide on my favourite scenes (i.e. the ones I rewind to watch again happy ).

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 06-Nov-12, 5:04 AM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

You're not the only one Fran. Hmm. I think he's going to be hiding her very shortly though.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 06-Nov-12, 9:48 AM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

Great episode. What I love so much on TM and PJ is that he has so many faces. Sometimes funny and childish, sometimes really dark. I love the light PJ, but I even care more about the dark one. I loved the ending, and Blake Neely did another great job with the music. I'm curious how it turns out with Loralei! I so love this show. I hope it goes on like this.
The case was pretty good too. I had the feeling after a while they both were involved, but then it was only the wife.

Lena Date: Tuesday, 06-Nov-12, 3:46 PM | Message # 13
Dinkie-Di

Enjoyable episode, I liked the storyline and I liked seeing Jane so determined to find Lorelei.
Simon is excellent an actor, he can show lighter and darker sides of Jane and I love seeing these changes in Jane especially in the scene with the driver, very intense.
I also liked to see Jane angry with the kidnapper who offended Lisbon, I found like he wanted to defend her.
Now it seems that Jane knows where the FBI has led Lorelei and I can't wait to know what he will do next.

PJaneloke Date: Tuesday, 06-Nov-12, 5:37 PM | Message # 14
Surfie

Fran, I too thought PJ had Lorelei...especially the ominous apology to Lisbon (5x01). I'm glad that this episode set the record straight!

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Tuesday, 06-Nov-12, 7:04 PM | Message # 15
True Blue

As I already thought when reading the press release for "Red sails in the sunset", this episode proved me wrong thinking Jane might have Lorelei - but I don´t feel too bad about it, to be honest... They will have to catch her "next week", so that Jane can try to get her out.

Agent Nemo - do we already know him? I can´t remember. Does he even exist or might this just be another RJ trick?

All in all a great episode again, what an amazing season, so far!
I loved how they tricked Sloan in the end - took me some time to realize it was a trick. I think I got it the moment Lisbon said she was shot (funny, Jane critizing her weak performance sort of proved me right, then).
Blake Neely doesn´t stop to thrill me; great job again! Also the choice of music Jane found in the CD-player fit perfectly and created a picture very well.

I agree with you, Geli - I also found the directing style different but I liked it!
Can´t wait to Simon´s ep.! But, patience, next episode 5x07 first... I´m sure it will also be a great one!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 06 Cherry Picked (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz