Saturday, 27-Apr-24, 3:24 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 16 There Will Be Blood (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
16 There Will Be Blood
Fran Date: Friday, 22-Feb-13, 0:31 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

5.16 There Will Be Blood

LORELEI MARTINS RETURNS, DETERMINED TO FIND OUT IF RED JOHN HAD A ROLE IN HER SISTER’S DEATH, ON "THE MENTALIST,” SUNDAY, MARCH 10

"There Will Be Blood” — Lorelei Martins returns, determined to find out if Red John had a role in her sister’s death, and Jane is forced to confess to Lisbon his part in Lorelei’s prison escape, on THE MENTALIST, Sunday, March 10 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Emmanuelle Chriqui returns as Lorelei Martins.
Emmanuelle Vaugier guest stars as Melissa Enfield, a trustee at a women’s shelter.

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Emmanuelle Chriqui (Lorelei Martins)
Kevin Corrigan (Robert Kirkland)
Michael Gaston (Gale Bertram)
Christopher Cousins (Jason Lennon)
Tom Wright (Kevin Rome)
Emmanuelle Vaugier (Melissa Enfield)
Andrew Patrick Ralston (Stephen Doppler)
James MacDonald (Sgt. Bigley)
Gary "Carlos" Cervantes (Det. Tony Garcia)
Sean McClay (Agent McClay)
Rene Hamilton (Mother)
Alex Long (Older Brother)
Ian Andrew (Younger Brother)
Elise Robertson (Julia Howard)
Karen Constantine (Good Samaritan)
Emily Sandifer (Shelter Counselor)

WRITTEN BY: Ken Woodruff & David Appelbaum
DIRECTED BY: Anton Cropper

Hayseed Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 6:47 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

WOW!

Geli Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 7:40 AM | Message # 3
Surfie

Sure found this episode intense, however notice that I don't like to watch depicted violence, i.e. the first scene was well acted but I don't want to see it again. Emmanuelle Chriqui sure played Lorelei very well! Kirkland looks better with beard, I didn't like him hiding/listening behind the door in Bertram's office. Bertram's "You can't trust anyone" sounds ominous. I was surprised that Lorelei didn't tell Jane who RJ is, thought she left the gun in the bag, didn't expect her to shoot the boardmember. There goes Jane's clues... He must have felt beaten at the end scene, couldn't even walk straight. This smiley, to me, thought didn't look like the typical RJ smiley, I thought the eyes and mouth looked different, on my TV I didn't see the top of it. So, even though it's meant to look like an RJ smiley at this time I'm not convinced that it really was RJ that killed her. (I realize I may be the only one thinking that) Wonder how things will go on now...

bee Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 11:24 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

Didn't really enjoy this episode. While I realise some degree of violence was necessary I found it quite brutal and disturbing. Lorelei's behaviour only emphasises RJ's influence over his minions! Annoyed that Jane is still defending Lorelei even after watching the video of her torturing and killing Julia and also for not keeping Lisbon informed, even though he said he would. He is still lying to her although he did look uncomfortable with Lisbon at times and I feel there were some meaningful glances between them. However, she STILL covers for him when questioned by Bertram and Kirkland. I find that Lisbon is constantly trying to reign Jane in with regards to his obsession with RJ in the hope that when he eventually meets up with RJ she will be able to influence his decision about killing him. Although Jane thanked Lisbon for covering for him I am really beginning to wonder whether he truly realises that she is risking her job for him (yet again) or is he still trying to protect her by not telling her everything? I'm still not sure.

Jane's influence over Lisbon has increased over time, none more so than in "Little Red Corvette" when, with his guidance, she faked evidence in order to get to Volker. She would never have sought so low before Jane became part of the team. I believe she is slowly becoming so involved with Jane that she no longer sees the clear picture! I felt sorry for Lisbon in this episode, she is trying so hard to protect Jane (from himself) as much as anyone else, but he clearly doesn't want to know and he now appears even more ruthless in his pursuit of RJ so much so that he is now becoming more like RJ without realising it. I think he is slowly losing it and heading for a real breakdown this time. I have never seen him so cold and heartless before!

The man in the coma is now the only one who knows the identity of RJ and Jane's desperate and frantic efforts to go with him in the ambulance was heartbreaking to see. Although Jane gave Lorelei closure on her sister's murder her fate was sealed the moment she hooked up with RJ! It was only a matter of time before RJ silenced her. Does Jane now regret helping her to escape from prison? I would hope so.

I really wonder how the season finale is going to play out. By Jane helping Lorelei escape and therefore RJ having to kill her, will he again act out his revenge on Jane. I am beginning to fear for Lisbon's safety as he knows she is Jane's "Achilles heel". Time will tell.

Lines:

Jane to Lisbon: "I tell you about thirty per cent of what I do, that doesn't mean that I'm lying".
Jane to man in coma: "I'm the law, I have to take you in, I can't kill you, but she can". (Will he think the same when it comes to the final meeting with RJ!)
Jane to Lisbon: "She had it coming".

Good episode but a little too brutal for me.

Message edited by bee - Monday, 11-Mar-13, 12:27 PM

Evy Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 11:25 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

Great episode ! So rich ! But different: this is the first time I think we see so many of cruelty (when Lorelei tortures and kills women).
I found Lisbon hurt by the attitude of Jane, his mistrust. Unhappy because of him. Something is broken between them.
I have exactly the same feeling than Geli : I found smiley looked different and I'm not convinced that it was really RJ who killed her. According to me, it's just a direction, the work of an accomplice. But it's just what I'm thinking. I can be wrong. The future will tell us.
It is sure: we want to know more !... happy

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 1:33 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

I have to say, that despite the violence....I really enjoyed this episode, I was hooked from start to finish.

I felt that some of what Lisbon said to Jane DID get through...after all when she asked him to stay in the CBI, it was obvious from his body language that he didn't want to, but he DID stay, and he let Rigsby know that she would be going to his location, and run Lisbon too.....He even checked on Rigsby before he went into the house....at one time I don't think he would have done those things....there are subtle changes in his behaviour.

I noticed there was a change in the smiley too....maybe it was a set up by Homeland Security....

Jane was sorry Lorelei died, I am sure he had SOME feelings for her....what ever they were....but she shot his only hope of gaining a name, and even though the man is still alive, He doesn't stand much chance of getting to talk to him any time soon...

Lena Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 5:27 PM | Message # 7
Dinkie-Di

A great episode full of very tense scenes and I agree that the opening scene about Lorelei who tortured and then killed Julia was very violent and cruel.

I liked when Lisbon said to Kirkland : “I've to learn that trick ... speak but I say anything” refering to why the Homeland Security was so interested to Lorelei.

Very intense scene when Jane said to Lisbon that he trust of Lorelei and she certainly killed Julia to avenge her sister and then Lisbon aked him to be honest with her.

I was very impressed when Lorelei and Jane met at Julia's house and she said to Jane that she knew that him would be upset that she had tortured and killed, and that him was not ready for anything as he think.

The only funny moment was when Rigsby while surveillance the trustees's houses asked to Cho what Van Pelt be doing in that moment and also funny was the answers by Cho.

I was very suspect that Bertram allows to Kirkland to listen secretly his talk with Lisbon and then said to him "Can we trust anyone?".

Very strong finale. I think that when Lisbon went to Jane, he had realized what had happened even before discovering that Lorelei was dead ... and now the only one who know Red John name is in a coma.

Was Lorelei body found in a abandoned circus? If so, I don't think it's a coincidence knowing that Jane worked in a circus.
I liked so much this episode and I can't wait to see what will happen in the next.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 5:37 PM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

I too thought that the violence was very high. Lorelei being brutal and unflinching, Jane still covering for her and lying to Lisbon. When she tells him to stay at the CBI it reminded me of the final episode of season 2 when he is told to stay a calm down and then figures out where the action should be. How sad to see his being so cold to see Lorelei's body, like she made her own bed and is now lying in it. He is really going down into the dark side and is taking Lisbon with him. Will they really lose everything and thus satisfy RJ. He hasn't killed either of them because he would rather see them destroyed.

The smiley was a bit odd but RJ does have minions on his payroll. Or maybe it was the work of the Homeland guy who still hasn't explained how this is their purview.

Peithon Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 6:30 PM | Message # 9
Rip Snorter

Thought it was a good episode, could have been better but seeing as Lorelai has another gig on another pilot like Bertram had last year, methinks things get rewritten through no fault of Heller's. Put me in the Bertram and Kirkland are evil camp, although Homeland Security is interested in Jane more than Lorelai methinks. Had to have the violent opener so that the ending would feel 'justified' to mention another favorite show that deals with a very angry man. As Lorelai said to Jane she hoped they were on different roads. The staged scene among the relics of a carnival, RJ twisting the screwdriver in Jane's gut. Jane's matter of fact 'she had it coming' then his long crooked walk to his car, as her betrayal than death showly start to shatter him. Major props to Chriqui, she's great as Lorelai and Simon was spectacular as usual and I even felt for Lisbon as Bertram rather enjoyed torturing her about what Jane and Lorelai were doing with all that time they had together when he was 'kidnapped.' Bertram has never liked Lisbon.

justlook3 Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 7:58 PM | Message # 10
Bee's Knees

It was a decent episode, it could have been better as Peithon said. The biggest thing is that the only way to have the ending work was to have Jane off his game. Did he really trust Lorelai that much? I'm beginning to think though that the point was that his arrogance was his downfall. He really thought he'd seduced Lorelei to his side but when he failed, he was thrown. Even so, it still seemed off for him not to have grabbed that gun.
I also am beginning to suspect that Kirkland (like Darcy) thinks that Jane is Red John and has convinced Bertram that he is too. I seriously don't think he's Red John. My reason is that he's too odd. Just like Partridge. Red John is going to be the least likely suspect, a completely normal looking person. At least that's my theory. I can't quite believe that Red John would want suspicion on him by being an oddball like Kirkland and Partridge.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 11:04 PM | Message # 11
True Blue

I also found this episode really cruel and felt reminded of the violence in "Not Forgotten" - I had to close my eyes!

I noticed as well there was something wrong with the smilie-face, but it couldn´t figure out what it is, yet.
Made a collection of some I found to compare and posted it here: http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/forum/7-147-1#7173.
Though we cannot see the top it seems, this is the first time it is a full circle - coincidence? Does Bruno want us to think so and that is why they
gave us the pretty long take on it?

Jane watched the video of Lorelei torturing the woman and only saw it as a cause - "she will have a reason for it", he would
probably do the same to get RJ.
After I thought about it I am sort of releived now, Lorelei broke their agreement and didn´t tell him RJ´s name -
so we have a little more time! But Lorelei´s "ask him, he´s week, he´ll talk...", and then shoot this guy was so, so bad and evil -
I hate her for that!

Erm, just a question for understanding: "She had it coming" - does this mean "She deserved it"? I´d agree, then.

AgentM Date: Monday, 11-Mar-13, 11:36 PM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

Well...a decent episode that certainly got the adrenaline pumping. Had me gripped from the start. Surprised they got away with the violence at the start (especially with US networks - I mean, in Blinking Red Light, I'm sure I read somewhere that Simon had to ask if it was okay to say 'crap' on TV!) It was brutal, but necessary. I agree it was designed to make the viewer agree that 'she had it coming'.

Cold and heartless Jane intrigues me - we all knew he had it in him, I feel it's partly a coping mechanism within him - all those scenes where he said nothing but just stared into space were so powerful - Simon is seriously such an amazing actor. I also felt the power in the eye contact between Jane and Lisbon at the house at Orchid Lane(?) - it was unbreakable. Who needs words when you have actors of such high calibre?

I agree that Jane's attempts to save RJ's worker were heartbreaking - especially when he was being dragged out of the back of the ambulance (lol, he does need some extra lessons in CPR tho'!)

The smiley face ? Yep, agree that something seems off about it - but can't quite put my finger on it - my initial thought was that Lorelai did it and killed herself - RJ almost always cuts the victim's throat - she didn't have a mark on her neck. The damage was done to her torso and arm - Maybe RJ somehow convinced her (hynpnosis?) -Hmmmm not sure! I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Homeland guy, Kirkland - I don't get the vibe that he would have killed her and staged the scene. I haven't made up my mind about him yet tho' - he does seem more interested in Jane than Lorelai - but he may redeem himself at some point in the future. The scene where he was hiding in Bertram's office kind of reminded me of the Cigarette Smoking Man in The X-Files - always lurking in the background, taking everything in.

The carnival props at the end sent a few shivers down my spine - and I think it's possible that they were the cause of Jane's unsteady walk more than the death of Lorelai - knocked him off kilter a little bit. He knew Lorelai would end up dead, but maybe he just didn't want to admit it completely to himself. His cold comment 'She had it coming' was a bluff - and possibly his naive attempt at stopping Lisbon from worrying about how he feels about it - if he acts like it doesn't bother him, maybe she'll believe it - (the irony being that his reaction will probably make her even more concerned).

Loved Lisbon in this episode - and yes, her facial expressions, at the thought of what Jane and Lorelai got up to when she 'kidnapped' him, spoke a thousand words. I also believe that when she gave Jane an ultimatum, and he accused her of playing too much poker, he soon realised she wasn't bluffing. Again it was unspoken but clearly communicated (award-winning acting from both).

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode - and especially the darker side of Jane (tho' not sure what that says about me!).
BTW, has anyone else noticed that his suits have gradually gotten darker in colour over the last couple of seasons? I think it's a clever but subtle indicator that the character is getting darker. They think of everything don't they?! Geniuses or Genii? Whatever...they are all brilliant! tongue

Beautifulbabyboy...
"Erm, just a question for understanding: "She had it coming" - does this mean "She deserved it"? I´d agree, then."

Yes, that's exactly what it meant!

Message edited by AgentM - Monday, 11-Mar-13, 11:40 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Tuesday, 12-Mar-13, 4:09 AM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

I only got to watch this episode today, and I must admit that I was worried because of the negative comments that I had read. To my relief, I enjoyed it very much. I found the interactions between Jane and Lorelei, and Jane and Lisbon to be very mature and emotionally realistic. For example, I think that Jane did his best to be honest with Lisbon, and even though he caused her pain, there was also an intense human connection between them that will result in their being closer to each other. The violence didn't bother me because it was integral to the plot. I give this episode an unreserved A+. The only problem is that it leaves me wanting more.

One side note... Jane's comment that she had it coming mirrored what Lorelei said to him about Julia.

Message edited by Wand6122360 - Tuesday, 12-Mar-13, 4:10 AM

joanne Date: Tuesday, 12-Mar-13, 5:05 AM | Message # 14
Blow-In

I really enjoyed this episode. My husband did too. I wish more episodes were this gripping. The violence was unpleasant but it's a part of the genre, I suppose. Interesting that Lorelei would be so brutal for a reason other than carrying out Red John's work. Not a nice woman. biggrin

Hayseed Date: Tuesday, 12-Mar-13, 6:17 AM | Message # 15
Bee's Knees

I loved it. Baker really knocked this one out of the park - the inner turmoil was fantastic.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 16 There Will Be Blood (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz