Tuesday, 23-Apr-24, 9:48 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 17 Red White And Blue (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
17 Red White And Blue
Mossibecca Date: Wednesday, 20-Mar-13, 11:54 AM | Message # 16
Bee's Knees

@Justlook, you have hit the nail on the head!!!

you said "I really miss season one Jane. I think a lot of people do. We can't go back, he's done too much but a glimpse is nice from time to time."

You are right, one thing about this series for me is that it is showing Jane's journey.....he used to be glib and off hand, but it has got serious now, and dark, and he really can't go back to the man he was...he never even be the man that Angela knew...she probably wouldn't recognise him!!

I agree about the continuity though....I really did enjoy this episode, but it may have been better placed within the season.

bonbon Date: Wednesday, 20-Mar-13, 6:17 PM | Message # 17
Jillaroo

Think most of us realize that when Jane was leaving the room and expressed his appreciation to the patients seated there for therapy, he was, in fact, 'THANKING' them for their 'service to our country', (not just for listening to the tape in the investigation of the case):[i]
"Thank you!"
"All of you."
"Very much!"
I sure would like to know if these words were an 'ad lib' by Simon, himself.....not scripted. Kind'a sounds like him. happy

Tassie Date: Wednesday, 20-Mar-13, 6:44 PM | Message # 18
Bee's Knees

Yet to see this episode here in UK, but just wanted to say it's nice to see you back bonbon-you seem to have been away for a while.

bonbon Date: Wednesday, 20-Mar-13, 11:22 PM | Message # 19
Jillaroo

THANK YOU, TASSIE!!! I NEVER MISS 'TM', BUT AT 75, I DON'T GET TO 'CHAT' MUCH ANYMORE. I HAVE EVERY ONE OF 'THE MENTALIST' EPISODES FROM PILOT TO LAST WEEK'S AIRING (ALL ON DVD), PLUS ALL OF 'THE GUARDIAN' & ALL (7) OF 'SMITH'. ALSO HAVE ALL OF HIS MOVIES (WILL GET 'I GIVE IT A YEAR' WHEN AVAILABLE) & BOXES OF MAGAZINE CLIPPINGS, PHOTOS, AND INTERVIEWS, ETC. HAVE BEEN A BIG FAN OF SIMON FOR YEARS! THINK HE IS A REMARKABLE YOUNG MAN. I CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE THREE OR FOUR TIMES A DAY (AFRAID I'LL MISS SOMETHING. FINGERS JUST NOT SO LIMBER TO TYPE MESSAGES BUT ENJOY EVERYONE'S OPINIONS/REMARKS & APPRECIATE FRAN'S DILIGENCE IN KEEPING US ALL SO WELL INFORMED....WHAT A GREAT GAL! GLAD TO SEE THE 'TWEET' THAT WE WILL DEFINITELY HAVE A SEASON 6.....RAH! biggrin

Mossibecca Date: Thursday, 21-Mar-13, 2:30 PM | Message # 20
Bee's Knees

bonbon, good to see you, glad that your fingers decided to work for you today biggrin ...you are a discerning woman of VERY good taste!!

AgentM Date: Saturday, 23-Mar-13, 6:27 PM | Message # 21
Bee's Knees

I've read everyone's comments and there are some that I agree with and others that I think are a tad unfair. Yes, it did seem that this episode wasn't necessarily the best one to follow up from 'There Will Be Blood' - and I know a few people may feel a bit cheated in the fact that there was no brooding Jane or comments about Lorelai - That said, I guess I just figured that some time had passed since Lorelai's death and that the team had dealt with several other cases since then. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the timeline isn't just one week!

I liked the episode. In fact, I was very moved by the messages contained within - I actually welled up when Jane lingered to thank the group of soldiers who were suffering from memory loss. I love that Bruno, the writers and the cast and crew can use the medium of the show to get across such an important point - no mattter whether you agree with the war(s) or deployment of troops or not, every single one of them deserves the utmost repect and gratitude - it was nice to see Jane being the vehicle to do that. We all know he is very caring, despite the darker side that is within him - that's an incredibly clever dichotomy of the character that Simon plays so well. And in a way, Jane's playful side in this episode is a perfect example of how the brain deals with TBI in itself - remember he's experienced traumatic stress too, and one of the ways in which his brain deals with it is to be playful and childish, putting the painful memories to one side. Not completely dissimilar to the memory loss suffered by the soldiers.

I think Jane's empathy with Pete was incredible - the look he gave Lisbon when she claimed that Pete could still be a suspect said everything. I was very moved by the scene at the end when Jane wanted to apologise for tricking him - Jane hardly ever apologises in a sincere manner. Teaching him about the memory palace and using his fallen comrades as triggers and anchors was a beautiful idea. I guess we can figure that PJ's family feature quite a lot when he wants to remember things in his own memory palace.

It was a good episode - handled with great sensitivity. And in true Mentalist style with the light-heartedness to combat the darkness of other arcs in the show. That's the beauty of this show - they always manage to get the balance right. I didn't find it difficult to figure out who had done what - guessed quite early on actually, but it was still intriguing enough to see how Jane would play it out (also a reason why I loved Columbo!)

Loved that Cho managed to appeal to Hawkins' conscience and get him to deal with the harrassment case. I felt that the salute was not just aimed at Hawkins, but at every soldier, past and present - sort of a non-verbal thanks.

And dare I say it...but it was only when the episode finished that I realised Van Pelt was nowhere to be found or mentioned! Ooops...sorry Amanda.

PS Did anyone else notice that the girl who played the harrassment victim was the same girl who had played the little girl that Nick Fallin was guardian for and whom he offered to adopt - the one who needed a heart transplant? It was nice to see her all grown up! Gosh, there are so many actors from The Guardian that appear in The Mentalist...I know it's an incestuous business but I do sometimes wonder if the fact that they've worked with Simon plays in their favour!!!

Message edited by AgentM - Saturday, 23-Mar-13, 9:59 PM

June Date: Sunday, 24-Mar-13, 3:20 PM | Message # 22
Bee's Knees

Yes AgentM, you noticed that too! I was wondering for a while: "who is that girl?, who is that girl? And my memory palace worked. One of "The Guardian" best episodes in my opinion, the first time we could see the real Nick Fallin, the end is so touching!

I was thinking about all the actors that have appeared in both series and I'm trying to make a complete list with all of them. There are more than I thought.

By the way, I liked this episode too. From the beginning (Jane and Lisbon's moment singing together is priceless) to the end (Jane teaching Pete how to use his memory palace). I needed to smile again and this episode got it.

KathyF Date: Sunday, 24-Mar-13, 5:46 PM | Message # 23
Rip Snorter

Well said Agent M! I wondered if that was the girl from The Guardian. Guess I was right!

Hayseed Date: Sunday, 24-Mar-13, 7:27 PM | Message # 24
Bee's Knees

OMG! That WAS the girl from the heart transplant all grown up! Nice catch.

That was a such a great arc in The Guardian. Poor Nick. He was such a dick in the beginning, but as the series progressed, you realized why he was like he was, and every time he tried to do something good, somebody thwarted it. By the end, I really felt like he deserved a break.

Lena Date: Sunday, 24-Mar-13, 7:45 PM | Message # 25
Dinkie-Di

Good point, AgentM. I have not recognize her when I watched this episode. I agree with you June, I also love so much the episode "Heart" of "The Guardian"and I also think that it was one of the most emotive of the series.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 17 Red White And Blue (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz