Tuesday, 23-Apr-24, 7:37 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 18 Behind the Red Curtain (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
18 Behind the Red Curtain
Hayseed Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 7:52 PM | Message # 16
Bee's Knees

I agree it is a bit obvious for Heller, but why can't Kirkland actually be Red John? He may have had his appearance altered since Lennon knew him and he wanted to make sure Lennon hadn't outed him to Jane. He touched Jane on the shoulder just like RJ did in the season 2 finale. He calls him Patrick. He has been watching him since he got out of the mental institution.

I think if Kirkland isn't RJ himself, he's definitely a close minion. And we know that Jane and Lisbon have been right not to trust him.

The case itself was only okay, but I loved seeing Jane involve LaRoche (made me think of one of my fav episodes where he helps the dying coroner). It was fun to see Rigsby so happy that Van Pelt is back, and that he likes musical theater.

LaRoche was just too funny! "would an accent help?" made me giggle till my face hurts.

Funniest line in the episode.

Maybe I'm a little evil, but I kind of enjoyed Jane's slapdown of Lisbon with the bit about his time always being his own.

I also liked that Jane made the nurse smile even though she was on to him (and Kirkland). Of course he does, dear.

AgentM Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 8:08 PM | Message # 17
Bee's Knees

Okay...so another light-hearted episode - guess that can only mean that Bruno is seriously going to go to the dark side for the finale. It wasn't a bad episode - in fact it had many good qualities. I loved some of the funnier lines from Jane - "That's my arm, you have two of your own," being one of my favourites! lol. Again, the plot wasn't too hard to figure out - I felt it was obviously Dodge from the beginning - all that mention of investors and taking the show to Broadway provided a definite motive - or maybe this show has made me too suspicious of people. Either way, I've got a 95% clearance rate on guessing the bad guys - Jane has taught me well!! Sometimes, however, it is patently obvious - that and the idea that, from the perspective of a writer, you usually want to introduce the bad guy within the first 7 or 8 mins of the show! (It's a common rule, but does have exceptions now and again).

Loved Jane's interaction with the nurse - perhaps she was offering us a clue that would tie in with the suggestion that Kirkland has maybe worn a disguise in the past, when she mentioned the bad vibe she got and that maybe they would tear off their faces to reveal an alien lizard or something beneath - it could be a red herring but it could also be a clue that Bruno would expect us all to skip over ( not that I believe they are alien lizards - just not what they seem to be). There is subtext there.

As for the scene with Kirkland and Lennon - not sure what to make of that conversation. It does seem a little bizarre that Lennon was brought out of a coma only for Kirkland to 'kill' him. That makes me wonder about the nurse's role in all of this - was she just playing a part in a ruse to seem like she was on Jane's side, feeding him information? Or was she genuinely wanting to help him? Bee, your idea about whether Kirkland really did kill him is intriguing - and warrants further thought.

I also wonder about Wand's suggestion that maybe PJ bugged the hospital room - it's possible and would be just like Jane to do so...however, I would have thought it would have only been useful if Jane could listen in in real time, rather than after the fact. He did seem calm and pensive at the end, rather than the frantic Jane we saw trying to resuscitate Lennon in the first place...there has to be a good reason for that. I guess he's considering the insinuation that Kirkland works for Red John.

I don't believe that Kirkland is RJ himself - it would be too hamfisted of Bruno to introduce him at this late stage, though I am curious to know how he fits into the whole puzzle. Especially as he has been keeping tabs on Jane since his family's murder. Hmmm...I think I need to lie down on my brown leather couch and cogitate!

I like the idea that we are seeing much more of Lisbon's insight into Jane - she's almost getting as good as him...well, not quite...but she's coming along nicely.

In general, a fun episode - good to see Van P back and Rigsby's obvious delight at her return. Also fun to see Rigsby trying to separate the two brawling dancers, and copying the jazz hands whilst watching the dance auditions! Missed Cho though...he didn't play a huge part in this one. It was good to see La Roche again - I was half expecting his part to involve dressing up as a woman - after some of the suggestions about what was in his tupperware box on the other thread, lol! It was a fun scene in Jane's car when poor old JJ was concerned about his performance.

So...not an absolute favourite episode but one that I will be revisiting from time to time.

Tish Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 10:36 PM | Message # 18
Blow-In

Watched the episode and just read the comments. Really not sure what to make of the episde and its ending. I was expecting a much darker episode from Heller.
Comments I'v read elsewhere made me think Kirkland could be yet another Red Herring. It feels a liitle bit too easy to have the FBI guy be the bad guy. It could be plot in a plot. However, putting all that aside there is something very sinister about Kirkland. I mean who asks his victim "Do you know who I am?"

Liked the case of the week - I am a sucker for musicals. Didn't see the family connection coming at all. Should have listened to the lyrics. I liked the jazz hands set up.

justlook3 Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 10:58 PM | Message # 19
Bee's Knees

Does anyone know the time table with relation to Lorelei's sister's murder and Jane joining the CBI? I have a theory that Kirkland is actually connected to the sister (possibly the boyfriend she was running from). If that's the case, it would explain why he waited for Lennon to wake up and then asked if he knew him. Because if Lennon did, then Kirkland could get face to face vengeance. But Kirkland obviously was watching Jane from way back, so if he was using Jane to track Red John, then it would have to go back pretty far. It's just a theory, but I feel there's a swerve going on with him.
It just makes no sense to wait for Lennon to wake up, ask him that question then kill him. Far easier to kill him when he was in the coma so he couldn't ever talk.
Also got a kick out of the V reference in this episode. And jazz hands. LOL.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 11:04 PM | Message # 20
Bee's Knees

Just to add a bit more, someone suggested that perhaps Jane doesn't look uprooted at the end is he sees through the whole scheme, and maybe the injection given to Lennon (sorry about that) was not a killing dose but some opiate to keep him under and take him away for questioning. It would be interesting to find out that Kirkland just wants Jane out of the way so he can find RJ himself and has no other agenda, that's why he wanted Lorelei so badly also. Anyone following these thoughts?

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 11:45 PM | Message # 21
True Blue

Quote (sylvia5993)
maybe the injection given to Lennon (sorry about that) was not a killing dose but some opiate to keep him under and take him away for questioning

To me it looked as if he only drew air into the syringe and injected that - this would be lethal.

Quote (justlook3)
Also got a kick out of the V reference in this episode

"What do you mean by V-reference"? Maybe I´m just off, but I think I need that explained...

AgentM Date: Monday, 25-Mar-13, 11:51 PM | Message # 22
Bee's Knees

Quote (beautyfulbabyboy)
"What do you mean by V-reference"? Maybe I´m just off, but I think I need that explained...

V was a science-fiction tv series about the earth being taken over by alien creatures who happened to look like lizards, but who disguised themselves as humans (they wore human masks) ... I think that maybe the nurse's reference to them tearing off their faces to reveal that they were alien lizards is the reference that justlook3 is talking about.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 0:00 AM | Message # 23
True Blue

fool yes, sure...stupid me facepalm

Thank you AgentM!

sorchauna Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 0:53 AM | Message # 24
Jillaroo

I do agree with you Sweetevy it was strange he was not distraught especially considering how upset he was when they were putting him in the ambulance in an earlier episodes. Maybe Jane knows more than we think, would not be the first time.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 3:07 AM | Message # 25
Bee's Knees

I think that maybe the nurse's reference to them tearing off their faces to reveal that they were alien lizards is the reference that justlook3 is talking about.

Yes. That's what I was referring to. And Morena Baccarin who played Erica Flynn starred in the remake of V. Maybe it wasn't a direct reference but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Geli Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 4:42 AM | Message # 26
Surfie

Enjoyed this episode, suspected the publicist, found it moving, the ending shocking. I was expecting to hear Kirkland say "I am a friend" - of Red John, but he didn't. He was relieved that Lennon didn't recognize him, made it sound like he was killing him to spare him prison. Kirkland's "I just hope if I am ever in your shoes I have a friend close enough to do this for me" sounds ominous. Surprised that Jane wasn't running down the corridor, he did look sad and upset though. Kirkland usually talks very friendly to Jane, so I wonder if he is RJ or someone sent by RJ to keep tabs on Jane. But why would he care whether Lennon recognizes him? Maybe he has been hanging out with RJ, and Lennon didn't know that he works for Homeland Security and he didn't want Lennon to pass on to RJ that he (Kirkland) works for HS? No idea... Funniest line was the comment about the faces of the HS guys, second funniest was LaRoche practicing in the car. [Where I live handling a cellphone in a car while driving will result in a fine. For driver safety's sake I wish they'd stop showing people driving talking on cellphones.] Am often amazed how well all the supporting actors act!

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 5:22 AM | Message # 27
Bee's Knees

Well the cellphone thing differs from town to town (like it's illegal in Chicago but not in the suburbs, etc). But what interested me was in an earlier episode, you see Lisbon and Jane drive away in the Citron with no seatbelts on. In California (possibly all states now) it's illegal to not wear your seatbelt. Lisbon's a cop! They drove away from a crime scene swarming with cops.

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 9:50 AM | Message # 28
Bee's Knees

Quote (beautyfulbabyboy)
Thank you AgentM!

You're most welcome, beuatifulbabyboy!

Quote (justlook3)
"I just hope if I am ever in your shoes I have a friend close enough to do this for me"
---- Been thinking about this line and it could suggest that Kirkland is a minion who would want someone to kill him before RJ got his hands on him if he ever got caught ---- However...I'm still not sure about him - all the evidence so far would point to him being part of RJ's network but I have my suspicions that there could be something else behind him wanting to delay Jane's progress in the case. Hmmmm....couch here I come...again!

Tina Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 10:03 AM | Message # 29
Fair Dinkum

I was expecting more of this episode, but it was good. A little to less of PJ at the beginning. It's great that Van Pelt is back. I was really hoping to see some more reactions about the death of Loralei. It seems PJ doesn't care a bit, even though he admitted to Lisbon he had feelings for her.
I'm curious what the next episode brings ...
La Roche was great. I really like him.

Evy Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 10:15 AM | Message # 30
Fair Dinkum

you see Lisbon and Jane drive away in the Citron with no seatbelts on
GELI

This model of car (Citroën DS) is old (between 1955 and 1975 : it's even a model of collection now !) and seat belts were not mandatory at this time ! wink

Just for information : seat belts became compulsory in front of cars and out of town in July 1973 in France.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 18 Behind the Red Curtain (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz