Friday, 29-Mar-24, 10:51 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 19 Red Letter Day (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
19 Red Letter Day
Fran Date: Tuesday, 26-Mar-13, 10:23 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

5.19 Red Letter Day

THE CBI TEAM HEADS TO A RUN-DOWN WILD WEST TOURIST TOWN WHEN THE OWNER IS FOUND DEAD, ON "THE MENTALIST,” SUNDAY, APRIL 14

"Red Letter Day” — The CBI team heads out to a run-down Wild West tourist town when the owner is found dead. Meanwhile, Kirkland tries to find out how much Jane knows about Red John, on THE MENTALIST, Sunday, April 14 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: Kirkland is hot on Jane’s trail… how much does he know about #RedJohn? #TheMentalist 4/14 10 PM http://bit.ly/1038Yer

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Eyal Podell (Ian Percy)
Kevin Corrigan (Bob Kirkland)
Tamara Mello (Lily Soto)
Kevin Cahoon (Magician)
Brian Duffy (Cowboy Tim)
Harry Groener (Francisco Navarro)
Wendy Phillips (Joanna Percy)
Stephen Macht (Hollis Percy)
Antonio Jaramillo (Emmett Cook)
Celia Finkelstein (Deb Granger)
Cecil Burroughs (Agent #1)
Bill Lewis (Husband)
Seth Coltan (Tourist Dad)
Brian Ames (Duncan)
Mike Nojun Park (Dad)
Cody Wai-Ho Lee (Kid)

WRITTEN BY: Michael Weiss
DIRECTED BY: Guy Ferland

Hayseed Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 6:22 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

I actually gasped when they broke into the attic, but I was happy to see Jane's smile in the end. He's punking Kirkland somehow. This is getting good.

Not the best procedural. I knew who did it from the first interview, but not why.

Peithon Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 6:23 AM | Message # 3
Rip Snorter

OK episode, recycled plot from Red John's Friends, best parts were creepy Kirkland drinking Jane's Anniversary drink, a bloody mary and just his general not quite right vibe. The I've been all over moved from place to place carney like thing, New theory - he already knows who RJ is and is protecting him from Jane for homeland security reasons? Double Agent perhaps. Nice pad too
?

Hayseed Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 6:25 AM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

Yeah, the bloody mary was creepy indeed.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 11:53 AM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

I noticed the drink.....Kirkland is just creepy....glad to see that Jane and Lisbon DO talk about things off screen.

I got the feeling that Jane had been expecting Kirkland to make a move on his attic (hence the match stick)....and I wouldn't be surprised if the 'wall' that Kirkland now has pictures of is NOT the 'wall' that Jane showed Lisbon....I am SURE that he has removed some key bits of information....the smile at the end said SO much!!

Over all I enjoyed the mix, some fun and a bit of sadness at the end with Grace and Rigsby, and a small amount of forward motion with the Red John stuff.

bee Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 12:29 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

Kirkland is getting more and more suspicious as the weeks go by. He's been watching Jane since he left the mental asylum, ten years ago, and seems to have an obsession with him for some reason. Is it because he wants to find out how much Jane knows about RJ (if he is working for RJ) or has he got reasons of his own, for his own vengeance perhaps? His excuse of buying Lisbon a coffee is suspicious, he knows that Jane keeps Lisbon informed of his progress (well at least 30% of it), and he's also evasive when Lisbon asks him where he comes from. Surely Homeland Security have better resources to track down RJ than just to rely on Jane!! I thought at first he was a red herring that Bruno had planted to fool us but after he killed Lennon I have my doubts. The fact that Jane is suspicious of him is also telling, he's never usualy wrong in his assumptions. I thought maybe Jane was just jealous of him because of his interest in Lisbon but realise now that Kirkland has an ulterior motive in getting to know Lisbon.

However, how did Kirkland know about Jane's "board"? As far as we know Lisbon is the only one that Jane lets venture up to his attic! Jane, is obviously suspicious of Kirkland, even going to the trouble of placing a toothpick against the attic door. He also didn't seem too surprised that someone had been into the attic. Kirkland also didn't want the two "AC" guys who took the photos to log their findings onto the computer. Why? Kirkland seemed to be printing out the pictures at his home (flat).

The case of the week was OK. There were some funny moments...Jane fooling Kevin the magician, calling Cho for back-up before getting up to his old tricks and starting a fight! Rigsby and Cho's banter over the bagels! Lisbon and Rigsby's faces and slow handclap when Jane was on that stage, and Lisbon's face when he stole Kevin's wallet, the look of an exasperated mother at her naughty child! I did feel sorry for Rigsby though, he's bought Grace an orchid and when he finally plucked up the courage to speak to Grace about his feelings it all went downhill when Duncan showed up! I still have high hopes for these two though. I guessed Ian Percy was the killer but also didn't realise why, but suspected that Lily was involved somehow.

Can't wait to see what Kirkland does next!!!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 15-Apr-13, 2:34 PM

Peithon Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 5:28 PM | Message # 7
Rip Snorter

hmmm..in view of the short synopsis of Red John's Rules, maybe the victim with the carney connection is Kirkland in the finale since he was so obtuse about his background when Lisbon asked him where he was from. Now I wonder if he knocked Lorelei off - is he killing on Red John's orders as a double agent trying to stay undercover? I can't believe Heller would be giving up Kirkland as RJ so easily.

Evy Date: Monday, 15-Apr-13, 10:26 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

I am in total agreement with Mossibecca :

I'm sure PJ trapped Kirkland. The wall which has been photographed is not "TRUE" wall. PJ added false leads and removed the right ones ! His smile says all !! wink

Lena Date: Tuesday, 16-Apr-13, 10:18 AM | Message # 9
Dinkie-Di

I have not yet a precise theory about Kirkland and why he is so interested about Jane. It seems like he knows a lot about Jane (also what he drink, very weird) and when they met for the first time, he told to Jane “... but I know you”.
We do not know much about Kirkland and even when he talked with Lisbon he didn't give any information about himself. I think he has something connection with Red John, otherwise I can not understand why he has killed Lennon who was the only person that could have helped Jane to discover the real identity of Red John.
Surely Jane is suspicious of Kirkland by the fact that as Jane said why the Homeland Security is interested of a Californian serial killer and also Lisbon seems to have doubt about him and told to Jane to put him in his list.
Jane's smile at the end reassured me and it seems like he has planned everything and he expected that Kirkland would enter in the attic to check his works on Red John and his smile reminded me the same he did when Lorelei has revealed to him of being a Red John's friend.
The case was enjoyable with some funny scenes, I liked at the start scene when Jane has recognized Cho before he knocked at the door.

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 16-Apr-13, 10:00 PM | Message # 10
Bee's Knees

Okay, so I think Jane has been playing a long con on Kirkland for a while now...the lack of a reaction after Kirkland killed Lennon kind of gave it away for me. This was confirmed by the little smile in this episode. He has definitely fed the man some false leads with regards to his 'wall'. I got creepy vibes from Kirkland when he first introduced himself to Jane. The fact that he has followed his whereabouts and makes himself the same Bloody Mary that Jane drinks was screaming 'STALKER' to me ---- maybe he is from Jane's past and became fixated with him in some way? I got the same vibe when he was talking with Lisbon. Stalkers like to ingratiate themselves into their 'target's' life, whether that's getting people close to the 'target' to trust them or infiltrating their 'target's' life in other ways. (Believe me, I know what I'm talking about...it's very scary the way they can convince others that they are a part of your life!) It was weird. How he came to work for Homeland and thus connect himself via work is still a puzzle, but plausible. He is not Red John - I'm sure of that. It could be that he wants to BE Jane and so has collected what he believes to be Jane's thoughts in an effort to think like him. Possibly another reason why he's not inputted the data into Homeland's system - that said though, I'm not sure why he would have involved other agents who could testify that he was behind the break-in. ......On the other hand, it could be that he is trying to protect RJ...? unsure

One thing is for sure, Jane knows his game and is playing along. He may not have the full picture behind Kirkland yet, but he's getting there. I think Bob may turn out to be another Red Herring, thrown in at this late stage to try and throw us off track...but who knows? Bruno is so very good at twisting and turning...I bet he's amazing on a dance floor - lol.

The episode was cute. I pegged the Sheriff being involved with the meth labs from his first conversation and it wasn't too much of a stretch to figure out that the son did it. Motive was not entirely obvious although Jane seemed to be paying too much attention to Lily for it not to involve her. Loved the lighter moments that others have mentioned, especially Jane's grin and playful run after causing the fight. He such a mischievous devil!! tongue Lisbon's expression at his antics just get better and better for me. I love the fact that she seems resigned and is trying not to get too stressed about Jane's actions when she advised Rigsby that she tries to take a more relaxed approach towards it all.

As an aside ---I wonder if Simon hasn't included the 'find the lady/ find the golden nugget' trick so many times in the show just to tease Rebecca - as I've heard him tell a story in an interview that she fell for it when they first came to the States - I think it would be just like him to do so! tongue

Wand6122360 Date: Tuesday, 16-Apr-13, 10:46 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

AgentM, I definitely thought about that Rebecca story when they did the gold nugget trick on the show.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 19 Red Letter Day (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz