Saturday, 20-Apr-24, 8:41 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Name the 7 Red John Suspects
Name the 7 Red John Suspects
sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 08-May-13, 4:56 PM | Message # 31
Bee's Knees

I know I've posted this before, but the writers did say at the beginning of season4 that we had already met RJ, so that leaves the FBI guy out and of course Kirkland. I do believe that he is one of the other 5 and Visualize is involved in the manipulation and brain washing of RJ's minions. Haffner and Partridge fit the bill.

Fran Date: Thursday, 09-May-13, 0:18 AM | Message # 32
Fair Dinkum

Quote (June)
"Red John likes to be cold", said Bruno. Just some people know this quote but could be the key?

I thought exactly the same thing. I even looked into what a Forensic Investigator does to see if they work in cold environments, but their work seems to be based at crime scenes, in an office (writing up reports) and in a laboratory, and I don't think any of these places would need to be cold. So I can't think of a cold connection with any of the suspects huh

AgentM Date: Friday, 10-May-13, 8:23 PM | Message # 33
Bee's Knees

Just a thought, but maybe Bruno didn't mean 'cold' as in temperature but 'cold' as in distant and detached from things, with no feeling...that would fit a few suspects and CSI's have to keep themselves detached from the events they investigate otherwise they would go mad! wink

Peithon Date: Friday, 10-May-13, 9:40 PM | Message # 34
Rip Snorter

dead bodies = morgue = freezers/refrigrated trucks = cold = coroner's office/forensics. He also has a fondness for yellow flowers (HRRH) = florist = refrigerated trucks.

Hayseed Date: Friday, 10-May-13, 11:10 PM | Message # 35
Bee's Knees

Butchers need cold storage.

Peithon Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 5:56 AM | Message # 36
Rip Snorter

For what it's also worth, Red John cuts with a wallboard knife and we know he's into construction also. He drives a pick up truck.

Fran Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 11:15 AM | Message # 37
Fair Dinkum

Well yes, my first thought was to connect Partridge to a morgue which is why I looked into it. But I couldn't find any direct link in the job description of a Forensic Investigator, maybe an indirect link is sufficient.

In fact I am becoming more and more convinced that Partridge is RJ. As I've said before, I'd always thought he was too young, but the actor is 44 (born in 1968) making him about 20 in the 1988 Red Barn incident. Also, as I think AgentM mentioned some time ago, its a very clever trick to have RJ introduce himself onto 'the stage' in the pilot episode. My one problem with it is that I've always thought he has insufficient charisma for RJ, and I'm not convinced they can pull off a complete personality transformation like they did in 'Flame Red'.

AgentM Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 12:06 PM | Message # 38
Bee's Knees

Quote (Fran)
My one problem with it is that I've always thought he has insufficient charisma for RJ, and I'm not convinced they can pull off a complete personality transformation like they did in 'Flame Red'.

I don't think they necessarily have to. I've done a lot of reading about serial killers including profiling stuff from the FBI (not just popular True Crime books) as part of my research as a writer, and one of the most commonly reported aspects is that there was nothing unusual about them. They can turn out to be socially awkward, uncharismatic and pathetic un-noticeables in their daily existence....I'd say Partridge fits into that category. I've always believed that Partridge has a lot of self-loathing within himself about his day-to-day persona, and that he probably feels or is made to feel insignificant (especially by Jane, who is always belittling him) He seems to lack the confidence to strike back.... but as Red John he has the capability to break free from that and show that he is in control - just like many offenders. The fact that he has successfully been present at crime scenes and evaded detection just adds to the thrill and gives him more confidence - exactly as Partridge has been gaining a little more confidence each time he appears in the show. Hiding himself in plain sight is another trait of serials.

It is totally possible that Partridge has many honed skills of his own - particularly in the field of hypnosis - and that is how he gets minions to comply. (You don't necessarily have to be charismatic to do that -(just check out some of the hypnosis tutorials on youtube to see what I mean!) RJ's relationship with Rosalind Harker is true of many killers' relationships - Harker's blindness offers him a small degree of security - and her 'blindness' to his antics echoes so many wifes/lovers of men who have turned out to be some of the worst serial offenders.

And to some extent, Partridge is the 'showman' that Jane refers to - I mean, look at the way he runs through the 'staged' RJ crime scene in the Pilot.

In 'Flame Red' - Tommy was an act ------ with Red John it is a personality deficiency - an alter ego, like Clarke Kent and Superman (but a negative version). Well, at least that's what I think anyway (the abridged version - I could go on for hours!)

You may agree with me, you may not... every opinion is a valid one! wink

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 1:36 PM | Message # 39
Fair Dinkum

A very interesting opinion, thank for sharing your thought.
Yes, a serial killer is not someone with a sticker written "killer" glued on his forehead; Some well known here in Europe had such a mundane and unremarkable look. Your average neighbour.

The only thing that bothers me with Partridge as a potential RJ is that, in every scene he appears (especially the fist time we saw him), he seems too emotional, and a tad too touchy about what PJ said. He really looks a sad little nerd too unhealthy attracted by gory things, as Jane qualified him.

And yet, I think that RJ feel a kind of weird attraction towards Jane, almost a kind of twisted wicked love (even Stiles mentionned it). I even started thinking a few months ago it was like it was tainted with a repressed homosexual kinf of attraction. Don't ask me where that comes from… wacko

None of this in Partridge's attitude towards Jane, he seems rather, as AgentM says, to lack confidence, and get very defensive when Jane is around, feigning to ignore him or looking at him distrustfuly.

OR… he's just really great at pretending. Creepy.

Peithon Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 2:27 PM | Message # 40
Rip Snorter

Could very well be the bumbling sheriff - rewatch the scene when he confronts Van Pelt walking along the road. Creepy and the last person on this list to suspect. The casting call called for him to be 45 years old, the actor is a bit older and is 6 ft tall, close enough. Fran, Plotnick is an acting teacher - he certainly has the talent to pull a Dr. Hyde and he seems to be the popular pick. I don't think it's Haffner, he would never have let Jane make a fool out of him to Bertram plus I don't think RJ is a member of Visualize. As for Bob maybe he had his voice changed hence the beard under his chin, so he was unrecognizeable to the minion he killed. It is entirely possible many of his minions don't know his appearance, only his voice, and Bob's voice was very high pitched in Red Dawn when we first meet him (but he looked the same ten years ago). And Bruno is correct we all saw RJ before season 4, in a mask tongue Simon said he knew who RJ was in season 3 if I recall correctly. Fun!

bee Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 2:44 PM | Message # 41
Fair Dinkum

I never thought Brett Partridge could be RJ (he wasn't in my list of 7 suspects) for the simple reason that maybe he was too young and also the fact that I thought he didn't have the necessary charisma to influence so many people. I still cannot see him with Lorelei!! However, reading other people's thoughts, I may have changed my mind. I'm still not sure about Bret Stiles (he has the charisma but is probably too old). Gale Bertram is bald (didn't Rosalind Harker say RJ had hair). Although Sheriff McAllister was in Season 1 Episode 2 "Red Hair and Silver Tape" we only saw him once! Ray Haffner, Reede Smith and Bob Kirkland appeared too late in the series (having been told earlier by Bruno that we had already seen RJ). Therefore that leaves Brett Partridge!!!

He does seem to delight in the crime scenes and doesn't appear to have any sympathy for the victims. HOWEVER, has Jane actually shook hands with Partridge? I can't remember! Also I could never see Jane wanting to be friends with him either....Jane has never liked Partridge from the start. ok OK! I'm confused...HELP!!

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 11-May-13, 2:45 PM

AgentM Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 3:01 PM | Message # 42
Bee's Knees

Quote (bee)
HOWEVER, has Jane actually shook hands with Partridge?

Not on screen, but the fact that PJ includes him on the list implies that they must have shaken hands. Apart from which, I'm convinced that it is Plotnick's voice in the S2 finale, reciting 'Tyger, Tyger...' tongue

Peithon, interesting point you make about Kirkland's vocals!! But I still don't believe it's him --- came too late to join the party!!!

If I had to guess who PJ will narrow his list down to, I would probably go with Partridge, Haffner (could be a minion - but what would RJ offer him in return for his services?) , McAllister and Stiles. To guess further than that will be difficult without some further investigation and musing by Jane himself! Come on Season 6!!!!!!! wacko

bee Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 3:31 PM | Message # 43
Fair Dinkum

AgentM...good point that Jane must have shook hands with Partridge to have him on his list! You can tell I'd make a lousy detective!!!!! I AM good at making tea though! I think I'll make a cup and have a lie down!

Peithon Date: Saturday, 11-May-13, 5:14 PM | Message # 44
Rip Snorter

Could very well be the bumbling sheriff - rewatch the scene when he confronts Van Pelt walking along the road. Creepy and the last person on this list to suspect. The casting call called for him to be 45 years old, the actor is a bit older and is 6 ft tall, close enough. Fran, Plotnick is an acting teacher - he certainly has the talent to pull a Dr. Hyde and he seems to be the popular pick. I don't think it's Haffner, he would never have let Jane make a fool out of him to Bertram plus I don't think RJ is a member of Visualize. As for Bob maybe he had his voice changed hence the beard under his chin, so he was unrecognizeable to the minion he killed. It is entirely possible many of his minions don't know his appearance, only his voice, and Bob's voice was very high pitched in Red Dawn when we first meet him (but he looked the same ten years ago). And Bruno is correct we all saw RJ before season 4, in a mask tongue Simon said he knew who RJ was in season 3 if I recall correctly. Fun!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Name the 7 Red John Suspects
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz