Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 12:36 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 16 Violets (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
16 Violets
June Date: Friday, 28-Mar-14, 5:46 PM | Message # 31
Bee's Knees

Scoop on The Mentalist

Pedro Pascal, who this Sunday kicks off a five-episode run as FBI Special Agent Marcus Pike, previews his character’s introduction to Lisbon thusly: “It’s definitely the kind of situation where she steps into a room and I’m like, ‘Who is that?!’ And it progresses from there. He definitely sees what he wants and goes after it.” And Lisbon’s own reaction to this dynamic new colleague? “I think he really catches her off guard, and that works to his advantage,” says Pascal. “He’s very smitten with her and she deserves the attention. Whether she’s interested or not, that is a good start to draw her in.”

http://tvline.com/2014....-regina

Hayseed Date: Friday, 28-Mar-14, 6:03 PM | Message # 32
Bee's Knees

This might work after all.

Evy Date: Friday, 28-Mar-14, 10:03 PM | Message # 33
Fair Dinkum

Sneak peek

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014....ak.html

June Date: Saturday, 29-Mar-14, 3:09 PM | Message # 34
Bee's Knees

I love when Jane says Lisbon: "Try a little less Joan Crawford and little more Barbara Stanwyck". Classy. For anyone who knows these two actresses and their most famous performances, that is a funny and memorable dialogue line.

Hayseed Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 5:53 AM | Message # 35
Bee's Knees

That was the best Mentalist episode I've seen for some time. And now my allergies are acting up...

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 10:35 AM | Message # 36
True Blue

Wow, that was great!

Jane: "he´s not gone he´s alive as long as you´re alive to remember him. He lives in you"

Pike:"You´re Patrick Jane, right - Abbot´s guy?"
Jane: "He´s my guy!"

Lisbon: "Isn´t he fabulous?!"

Jane: "Try a little less Joan Crawford and little more Barbara Stanwyck!"

-Case closed pizza is back!-

Pike: "Dinner is the best time for breakfast!"

bee Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 10:59 AM | Message # 37
Fair Dinkum

I've only watched this once (so far) so I've probably missed some points but on the whole I enjoyed this episode a lot. I loved Jane's plan to catch the thieves and Jane's instructions (via Wylie) who also gave the team their disguises, although it didn't quite ring true how the FBI team fell so easily in step with Jane's plan without any persuasion. He seems to have won them over already! I also loved the dress that Jane picked for Lisbon and the fact that he knew her dress size!! However I was a little disappointed he didn't pay her a compliment when he saw her in it (an opportunity missed there Jane).

They were very entertaining as a couple and I loved their banter (how I've missed that) and Lisbon calling him Patrick (if only once) as she was climbing the stairs was nice to hear. I was a little concerned that the mansion had perhaps only one bedroom in order for Jane to sleep on the couch but thinking it over Jane is not used to sleeping in a proper bed anyway and the couch was more appropriate for him I suppose OR perhaps by sleeping downstairs he felt that he was protecting Lisbon in some way. Jordan Harper, the writer of this episode, said on Twitter that apparently the scene where she tucks Jane in was supposed to be AFTER she had spoken to Pike on the phone whilst sitting in bed but for some reason the scenes were switched, an error apparently! It would have made more sense in that Lisbon would go downstairs to the kitchen to get something to eat and on passing Jane on the couch would have covered him with that blanket. I thought Lisbon flirting with Pike was a little out of character for her though as we were previously led to believe that she was in love with Jane, especially the episodes prior to Jane killing RJ. I think Pike's flattery was a little over the top but it seemed to work on Lisbon!

I thought it a nice gesture when Jane gave back the painting to the widow and said words to the effect that your loved ones are always with you in your heart. I felt for Jane here. Seeing Lisbon with Pike he naturally assumed he could go with them and then realised that they wanted to go without him was heartbreaking to watch, although he masked his hurt well. He had given up his freedom to be close to Lisbon and looked utterly defeated when sitting on his couch. I think the shedding of his scarf was a symbolic act. The act and fantasy of being Lisbon's boyfriend was over and I felt his unhappiness at once again being alone. (The music here didn't help either, thanks Blake Neely *cries*)! cry This is the same piece of music that played when Jane threw that flower into the water in memory of his family. Jane needs to be able to move on with his life if he has any chance of happiness in the future and hopefully realising that he may lose Lisbon, his rock, may just be the push he needs.

Can't wait for the next episode but apparently we have to wait 2 weeks!!!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 31-Mar-14, 12:42 PM

Fran Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 11:58 AM | Message # 38
Fair Dinkum

Fantastic episode, loved everything about it, already one of my favourites. Off to watch it again now hands

KathyF Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 1:55 PM | Message # 39
Rip Snorter

I enjoyed this one so much! I felt so sad for Jane in that last scene. My heart breaks for him. heart

PJaneloke Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 6:52 PM | Message # 40
Surfie

I might be totally crazy here (and I know most probably I'm totally wrong) but even after the second viewing I still can shake the feeling that Jane has hand picked Pike for Lisbon. He "could not express his love for her in word, so he did it another way" just like Manet's Violet.

Acc to my "consiperacy theory", Jane took up the case because: 1. He wants justice and helps the grieving widow; 2. He think it is an entertaining case; 3. He saw the opportunity to give " a gift" to Lisbon.

The theme of this episode is Jane has the ability to make the art thief thought he make the conscious choices but actually he was totally manipulated. My theory is Jane did the same with Pike. Lisbon in beautiful dresses are to make an impression on Pike.

Am I totally crazy?

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 31-Mar-14, 8:53 PM | Message # 41
Bee's Knees

Pike seems a nice guy, but much as they are making a lot of him being 'the boyfriend' I don't see him as being long term, but he has served the purpose of showing Lisbon as a beautiful woman who is noticed.

I was interested to see that when Jane was dishing out the roles, he had Lisbon close to him and Fisher as bait....he has been with Fisher so much, it shows that when he needs someone who will work with him seamlessly he needs and chooses Lisbon.

I also think there has been a subtle change in how they portray Fisher over the last couple of weeks, looking back to when she was first introduced, she was a bit gung ho...by the book and sort of brittle and hard, but the last couple of episodes, she has seemed a bit softer somehow.

I felt sad for Jane at the end, I guess without being shown specifically, we are led to believe that He and Lisbon have been together for a few days while playing the con, and I guess he was expecting the usual end of case discussion and there he was all alone....I think we are supposed to see him begin to think of a life without Lisbon being always there for him.

There was one bit that for me felt wrong, not the acting or script, more in the order and editing. When Lisbon came downstairs and covered Jane with the blanket, and walked off....then the next scene she is in bed talking to Pike and says she will go downstairs for some canapes....it felt like that bit should have taken place BEFORE she went and covered Jane up...but that is probably just me being picky. All in all I enjoyed it and it will be one that I shall choose to watch again.

Wrote this and THEN saw Bee's comment about Jordan Harper saying that those two scenes should have been the other way around...for me it would have played better, but I did like that bit.

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 01-Apr-14, 1:02 AM | Message # 42
Bee's Knees

It was nice seeing Robin in a dress, she is a lovely woman. Could not get into Jane's posturing, it was so false, and why the old suit and shirt with a scarf, as if no one would see through his image of a carefree playboy art thief when everyone else were given specific garments, and not himself. What's with the new hairstyle, not altogether becoming, maybe I just ant the old Jane, disheveled but close shaven and suited properly, I miss that. Oh Well!

PJaneloke Date: Tuesday, 01-Apr-14, 2:44 AM | Message # 43
Surfie

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_mentalist/news/1002238/

THE MENTALIST INSIDER'S BLOG: "VIOLETS"
POSTED ON MAR 31, 2014 02:15PM

Episode 616 "Violets"

When I was assigned to write episode 616 of The Mentalist, I started with one very simple idea. I had just finished writing “The Great Red Dragon,” which was our show at its darkest, so for this one I wanted to do an episode where our characters had fun and Robin Tunney wore a pretty dress. In fact, in the episode she wears two pretty dresses, and a lot of the other characters get new clothes as well, so I more than reached my goal. (our costume designer Amanda Friedland deserves a special shout-out for this episode).

That simple idea quickly grew into the idea of a long con, art heists and Jane and Lisbon going undercover as a couple. I quickly knew I would have to break the conventions of a normal Mentalist episode, where the identity of the killer is a mystery until the end. Instead, we meet the bad guys very quickly in order to give Jane and the team more time to mess with their minds. Also, in most episodes Jane’s trick isn’t fully revealed to the audience until the killer is caught, but this time we played the con cards-up.

While Jane and Lisbon working together is the center of the episode, the rest of the team really shines as well. Cho, Abbott and Fischer get to show new sides of their characters, and I was particularly impressed with Joe Adler as Wiley, who gets to serve as the narrator of the long con.

But my favorite part of the episode to shoot was the exciting art heist that opens the episode. I love a good heist film, and director J Miller Tobin did a great job of giving the scene some thrilling moments. The days on set when you get to watch while an SUV is driven through a plate-glass wall and men with masks and machine guns jump out, and it all is happening because of things you typed … those are the days its good to be a TV writer.

While on the surface the episode is a fun stand-alone, it also introduces a subplot that will play out for the rest of the season: Lisbon meets Marcus Pike (played by the great Pedro Pascal), who is immediately taken by Lisbon. I don’t want to give too much away, but I will say this about Pike: his best character trait is one that Jane may be lacking when it comes to Lisbon, and I think it’s that trait is what makes Pike appeal to Lisbon. But of course this episode is the beginning of this story, not the end of it. So stay tuned …

Written by

Writer Jordan Harper

Tina Date: Tuesday, 01-Apr-14, 8:52 AM | Message # 44
Fair Dinkum

What a great episode! Love it. A good old typical TM episode!
The whole team working together was great, I always love to see Jane working his tricks. Abbott is loosening up (guess Jane has that affect on people), I LOVE this guy!

The end was very sad, it shows how lonely Jane really is. Behind all this good mood and funny acting is a sad lonely man. Why doesn't Lisbon see this?

Jane reminds me a lot on Nick Fallin. On first sight, an arrogant idiot, on second sight a caring lonely man who'd need someone to love him so desperately ...who cares so much about people but can't show it...

Pike ...absolutely NOT my thing. He might be nice, but ....not very attractive or good looking (just my opinion of course). And if I'd work with a dream man like Jane all day ...I wouldn't even look at a man like Pike ...just my thought and my taste of men ...

Fran Date: Tuesday, 01-Apr-14, 11:15 AM | Message # 45
Fair Dinkum

Quote PJaneloke ()
Am I totally crazy?

No I don't think so, I think it's a really interesting theory and I wish I'd thought of the possible parallels. But what's holding me back from agreeing with your scenario is Jane's dejected body language in the final scene.

Quote tinamarianne ()
Behind all this good mood and funny acting is a sad lonely man.

Yes, Jane is still letting his smile be his umbrella.

Jordan Harper: I will say this about Pike: his best character trait is one that Jane may be lacking when it comes to Lisbon, and I think it’s that trait is what makes Pike appeal to Lisbon

Interesting, I wonder what Jordan is referring to. Could it be that Pike has been very open and honest about his feelings for Lisbon, whereas Jane masks his feelings. Or maybe it's just that Pike makes Lisbon feel feminine.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 16 Violets (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz