Thursday, 28-Mar-24, 10:16 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly
Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly
Wand612 Date: Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 2:25 PM | Message # 16
Jillaroo

Thanks so much! This is really great. It reinforces my determination of rewatching the entire series during the summer. I love this show.

kabuky Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 6:06 AM | Message # 17
Surfie

RED JOHN LIKES TO BE COLD.....Hmmm, gonna have to think about that one! someone working in the morgue? or is it someone who does not like the Sun/spotlight eg, someone in the background.....

I howled the first time I heard the line between Simon and Rebecca - "athletic bad boy with hint of masochism". I have always wondered WHO came up with that line - Becca??? Simon? Bruno?

These are the best interviews i have read about the mentalist, simon and the writing process of the series. THANK YOU!! for bringing this to light!

June Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 1:25 PM | Message # 18
Bee's Knees

Interview with Simon Baker
(Conducted on July 21, 2010)

Simon Baker: “There is a little of Cary Grant in The Mentalist...”

Midday. Late July 2010 in Paris. A message in English waits for me on the answering machine from my office: “Hello, it’s Simon Baker... You have my phone number. Call me.” Well no, I don’t have his phone number. Not yet! We have already missed the day. It wasn’t planned that Simon call me as from the next day. A ring to Cèdric, press attaché in the film “The killer inside me” where Simon Baker plays a small role along with Jessica Alba and Casey Affleck, and there I am in possession of the prized sesame.
It’s been a month that I hound the mentalist. It’s not easy to get the new Australian star requested by the media from the whole world. Simon Baker has just started next to L.A. the shoot of “The Mentalist” season three, and already, Internet is a hive of rumors about the series. It’s better ask him the questions live. In California, is a little after eight in the morning. At the first ring, Simon Baker picks up. The voice is friendly, although a little sleepy. He apologizes since he’s driving and does the way crossing the Pacific Highway that goes along the Pacific after the freeways that cross L.A. to the Glendale’s studio, at north of the city. There is where the most series scenes are shot. The mobile is on speaker. This is the only moment of the day where Simon Baker is relaxed and can answer an interview...

In France, you are in the cast of the British director Michael Winterbottom’s film “The killer inside me” where you play Howard Hendricks, an attorney who looks for catching a serial killer. For fans, it reminds the Patrick Jane’s character in “The Mentalist”. Did they propose to you this role because of the series?
Not at all. They contacted me long before for this film adapted from a famous novel written by Jim Thompson. I knew and loved the book. I also knew that many filmmakers, like Quentin Tarantino, had tried to adapt it for the screen from the 60s and had crashed and burned. I haven’t seen yet the film on the big screen, but I expect that viewers will see in my performance another thing than the mentalist, although I understand it’s difficult to avoid the comparison, taking into account the series worldwide success.

You say often to feel nostalgia from the old Hollywood in black and white; and from the films that Cary Grant played under George Cukor’s direction. Is that an influence on his choices of films or series?
That works at the unconscious level. In Australia, I grew up watching this kind of films at home, but I didn’t land in Hollywood having a secret plan to revive the movies from 40s or 50s.

Is it correct that you have developed Patrick Jane’s gestures and attitude in “The Mentalist” thinking about the actor Cary Grant?
With Bruno Heller, the series creator, have discussed a lot about the character of the mentalist, the way he would move, the clothes he would wear, his attitude everyday. It’s true that there is a little of Cary Grant in Patrick Jane. A charm, certain grace, a kind of indifference regarding material things.

When you step into the shoes of Patrick Jane, which wife and daughter have been murdered by a serial killer named Red John and works as consultant for the CBI agents; do you have tricks to feel like the character?
More than precise tricks, it’s an attitude. I’ve got into my head that I’m not scared by anything; that the Devil himself wouldn’t know how frighten me.

Who had the idea of giving to Patrick Jane that English dandy’s touch?
I seldom get dressed like that in my life. That came from my talks with Bruno. The character should give the impression on screen of being at the same time relaxed and dressed in an eccentric way but elegant. That is why his suits remind the Hollywood actors from 40s or 50s like Cary Grant or Charlie Chaplin himself. In “The Vagabond” (released in 1915), I looked the pictures and photos on the internet, Charlot wears that kind of vest today outdated with a tie, an idea we have recover for Patrick Jane.

Charlot is also present in another way in the series...
I see what you allude. But you really have to know it because it’s invisible. Each time it’s planned in the script that the character of Patrick Jane smile on screen, I think about a music composed by Charles Chaplin for “Modern Times”. An instrumental piece titled Smile at which was added later the lyrics by Nat King Cole, that says: “Smile, though your heart is aching / and maybe tomorrow / you’ll find that life is still worthwhile...” It’s a kind of code, a sign that has been developed discussing with Bruno.

In the series, Patrick Jane drives a Citroën DS Pallas, a French car. Is it true that you wanted to make a nod to inspector Colombo who drove a Peugeot 403?
I love that series, but the idea was above all that the mentalist couldn’t own but an unusual car. In U.S. is pretty odd to cross with a DS on the road.

Have you had any problems to drive it?
I’m getting by with the two cars used on the set, but it’s true that sometimes is necessary acting with cunning to control the change gear.

Do you remember that you appeared driving a similar car in the Australian cult series “Heartbreak High”?
Yes, I’ve always dreamed of owning that kind of car. Perhaps some day...

Your wife, Rebecca Rigg, was also a very popular actress in Australia when you decided to come both of you to U.S to try one’s luck. Whose the idea was first?
I’ve forgotten it. Probably from both of us. You know, Australia is a small country, in some sense. We are not but 20 millions living there, so sooner or later, we leave to see the world. It’s in our genes. But in the same way, sooner or later, we always go back home.

However, you were thinking for a while about the idea of asking the American citizenship...
It’s true that we were talking about that with my wife at the time of the Barack Obama’s election in 2008. Let’s say it’s not a very burning matter currently.

Message edited by June - Friday, 29-Jun-12, 4:37 PM

angel Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 1:29 PM | Message # 19
Cobber

wonderful, thank you so much for this interview. Really interesting reading xx

June Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 1:30 PM | Message # 20
Bee's Knees

When you received the first script of “The Mentalist”, did you ask for your wife’s opinion?
Yes, of course. But I don’t always listen to her.

Were you in disagreement?
My wife found the female character of Teresa Lisbon particularly well written, and it was more interesting than Patrick Jane’s character. I wasn’t completely agreed, and on the other hand as you imagine, it was difficult for me to play Teresa. I didn’t listen to her therefore and signed for the role of Patrick.

Knowing that this contract can tie you up for six years if the series keeps having success in CBS, don’t you have hesitated?
Not a second.

Has Bruno Heller revealed to you the ending of the story or he prefers keeping you in the dark about future developments of the series?
I have a quite precise idea about what is going to happen. Bruno has been quite clear about the storyline.

So you know the identity of the serial killer Red John who is pursued by Patrick Jane. Can you imagine that is... yourself?
It’s an interesting hypothesis, which would give a lot of flavor to the series. But you will understand that I can’t give you more hints...

Your wife plays a small role, an actress who is about to return to acting, in an episode from “The Mentalist” season one. Who had the idea?
I guess someone from production. I don’t know who was, but I can assure you that I have nothing to do.

In one of the scenes where you give the answer to your wife, the writers make her to say that her type of men is “sporty bad boys with a hidden masochistic streak”. Must we see a hidden allusion?
No, no, none! On the other hand, the dialogues have not been written originally by her. (Bruno Heller assures that dialogue was written by Rebecca Rigg originally, but Simon Baker didn’t know it).

Is it true that you met each other in the course of a blind date at a hotel in Bondi in Australia?
Not entirely. It was rather a dinner prepared by some friends who put us next to each other.

You practiced a lot of surf in your teens and even taught courses. What is what make you change the Pacific Ocean breakers for a hypothetical acting career?
I wasn’t a real instructor. I just taught some tricks of common sense. I don’t really remember what fired the spring. I just know that I watched many films on TV, especially those with Cary Grant. I think above all that surfing and acting have one thing in common, is about catching and living present moment intensely.

Before becoming “The Mentalist”, you usually came to France with your family to spend your holidays here. Have you taken advantage of it to surf any waves?
I have some friends in France. We have been twice taking advantage of weather, food and people. And of course, I have taken advantage of it trying some places of d’Hossegor Coast in the Basque Coast.

Message edited by June - Friday, 29-Jun-12, 4:39 PM

Alex Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 6:38 PM | Message # 21
Blow-In

Quote (justlook3)
At the Paleyfest, someone asked how Rebecca's casting came about. Simon said he was chatting with the casting director (I think I've got that right) and they were talking about upcoming roles. When that part came up, Simon said he thought his wife would be good in it. So he brought the script home somewhat nervously (Well the part isn't flattering and she is the murderer!) but Rebecca loved it. So that seems to have been how she was cast. I think though at the end of season 1, Simon said they didn't particularly like working together. They liked being able to spend time together, lunch, sharing a trailer, that sort of thing. But Simon said that they're totally different people at work then in their home life and I guess that just didn't work for them.

Thank you for sharing the behind story! I've been wondering how she came along with the episode for a long time... "They like being able to spend time together" <- cute like newly wed couple! lol

Alba Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 7:17 PM | Message # 22
Blow-In

This is the greatest interview I have ever read, agreed with Lenacr about questions and answers. I would like to see more this type of interviews with Simon.

The issue about the smiley face and the idea of Frosttbitten relating it with Simon/Patrick’s smile, makes me remember an scene from the movie "Something new" when Brian (Simon Baker) gives a book to Kenya (Sanaa Lathan) as a gift, and he signs the dedicatory with... ¡a smiley face! smile

When I saw that scene for the first time (because I have seen that movie several times, of course) I was very surprised because this movie was produced in 2006, before The Mentalist show starts, so I was wondered if Simon had something to do with the decision of include that sign in the storyline of the show.

Now that I know, according this interview, that Simon Baker’s nickname in his youth was Smiley, I am more intrigued about his participation on making that sign as the Red John's brand... Mmmh... confused

pip Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 10:34 PM | Message # 23
Cobber

Wonderful reading. Thank you.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 11:33 PM | Message # 24
True Blue

Thank you again, June for the hard work of translating this for us! This book turns out to be a real treasure for all of us SB- and TM-fans!
Had to laugh about this:
When you received the first script of “The Mentalist”, did you ask for your wife’s opinion?
Yes, of course. But I don’t always listen to her.
Were you in disagreement?
My wife found the female character of Teresa Lisbon particularly well written, and it was more interesting than Patrick Jane’s character. I wasn’t completely agreed, and on the other hand as you imagine, it was difficult for me to play Teresa. I didn’t listen to her therefore and signed for the role of Patrick.

bee Date: Saturday, 30-Jun-12, 8:19 AM | Message # 25
Fair Dinkum

To Beautyfulbabyboy...I think that quote sums up perfectly why we all love Simon so. He's so sweet and funny!

Tina Date: Saturday, 30-Jun-12, 9:02 AM | Message # 26
Fair Dinkum

Thanks so much for the hard work. It's great to read all this. THANK YOU!
Tina

Thrill Date: Sunday, 01-Jul-12, 10:02 AM | Message # 27
Dinkie-Di

June - thank you for the great translations - the interviews made wonderful reading happy

June Date: Tuesday, 03-Jul-12, 8:11 PM | Message # 28
Bee's Knees

There aren't more interviews in the book, ohhhhh! sad The rest is like a dictionary, an abc, hence the title. Each letter is related to anything about the series, for example: letter B with Bach, Ballina, Baker, BCI,... If I find some article that can be interesting or give us something new, I'll translate.

We'll see.

Message edited by June - Tuesday, 03-Jul-12, 8:12 PM

Mrpf Date: Tuesday, 03-Jul-12, 11:21 PM | Message # 29
Ankle Biter

Thank you June for you great work. French interviews tend to be very interesting and Simon is very receptive to them. I also loved the Bruno intrview happy

Juney Date: Monday, 09-Jul-12, 5:39 PM | Message # 30
Bee's Knees

Thanks for your hard work June. We all appreciate it.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz