Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 6:22 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Jisbon (Who's tired of it)
Jisbon
angel Date: Thursday, 11-Oct-12, 9:21 PM | Message # 46
Cobber

oh lord now i fully understand why the cast do not like the term. Now i wish i didn't know. i'd like to know who came up with the name and why? Did they realise what it actualy meant or just didn't know.

Geli Date: Friday, 12-Oct-12, 0:54 AM | Message # 47
Surfie

I had NO idea what "j..." means, but since I know now I don't want to use the term "J..bon" anymore even though it's spelled differently. I'm not a shipper, but will use "Patter" in my own mind referring to a possible "romantic love" relationship between Patrick Jane and Teresa Lisbon on The Mentalist. "Patter" also makes sense to me because on Wikipedia one of the descriptions is "Many illusionists, e.g., card magicians use patter both to enhance the show and to distract the attention of the spectators." and another one is "The term was originally a colloquial shortening of "Pater Noster ....", though of course I believe Lisbon is very sincere in her prayers.
I know Patrick and Teresa have become friends, and I think he trusts her more than she him at this time, but if Bruno has planned for them to fall in love with each other at some point in the future, I don't think it's happened yet even though they may sense there may be something more there in the future. Mind you, for close friends to realize they love love each other, that can be quite an earth shattering experience. I think Jane is very protective of Lisbon and would still be afraid Red John might go after her if it was known that he loves loves Teresa.
I'm not sure Simon Baker and Robin Tunney, being good friends, would be keen on filming them have more romantic contact. Me, I would NOT want to do such things with a friend! But of course I'm not an actor .... I just want Jane to find peace, contentment and happiness in the end.

Thrill Date: Friday, 12-Oct-12, 5:49 PM | Message # 48
Dinkie-Di

Robin expressed a strong opinion that she did not want to do any love scenes with Simon precisely because they were good friends....

See the quote in my vid (originally from an interview on FIVE in 2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fRT9ghyLE

mossy62 Date: Friday, 12-Oct-12, 9:43 PM | Message # 49
Blow-In

As others said here before, I also think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about a Jane/Lisbon relationship. There is certainly no reason to start a war over it. As far as I am concerned, I'd prefer if their friendship would stay just that in the show, a close friendship. They both aren't easy characters and I can't imagine a relationship between them would be 'living happily ever after', if you know what I mean. So, if they wanted to do it properly on the show, they'd need a lot of screen time to deal with the ups and downs in their relationship. I wouldn't want that, I'm happy with their bantering and fighting, the trust issues and all that. There is enough to explore without them being together.
But on the other hand, if Bruno should decide to turn them into a couple, I don't think Robin and Simon would have much say in it. They are actors and it's their job, real life friends or not. That might sound hard, but hey - they are both experienced actors and I'm sure they'd be able to pull it off. And their paycheck should be enough compensation for a day or two of discomfort. Sorry, I know I'm a bit too direct sometimes, but that's how I see it. Each job has a catch...

All that said, I'm not against Jane/Lisbon in general. I think the perfect place to enjoy that kind of fantasy is fan fiction. There are hundreds of stories out there, with various pairings and as many storylines as there are authors. Not all of them top class writers maybe, but there are some truly awesome stories available and personally I see no reason for the show to go into that direction.

All in all I agree with Geli: 'I just want Jane to find peace, contentment and happiness in the end.' Exactly, and the same for Lisbon. They both deserve to have a life outside the CBI. IF they get together, I hope it will only happen in one of the last episodes, before TM is wrapping up - and God forbid that that will happen any time soon! NCIS is in its 10th season, so why not TM as well? I certainly wouldn't mind.

*Geez, I don't know what's wrong with my avatar. I've uploaded it several times, but it seems the site doesn't want to save it properly. hmmm. weird...

Message edited by mossy62 - Friday, 12-Oct-12, 9:45 PM

lenacr Date: Friday, 12-Oct-12, 11:53 PM | Message # 50
Dinkie-Di

Mossy62, so very well said that I have to declare my agreement.
I believe that the main reason why Bruno Heller would go down the road of a J+L romantic relationship is because many fans are so strongly in favour of it...

Just to add, I know that many fans are so excited about J+L in Devil's Cherry, but the only time I have ever felt there was something of a romantic nature going on between the two was in Season 2 in the episode with the murder during the high school reunion (Rose-Colored Glasses) - that last dance was something... Since then I am failing to see a spark...
Sorry, maybe it's me...

Message edited by lenacr - Friday, 12-Oct-12, 11:57 PM

bee Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 10:55 AM | Message # 51
Fair Dinkum

I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of the above. I have seen a "spark" between Jane and Lisbon for a while now. Maybe not from the beginning but gradually over the years they have become a lot closer. As well as the Jane/Angela love story I've seen another story enfolding between Jane and Lisbon. She has always been there for Jane, risking her job, career and life for him. She supports his outlandish and often childish behaviour and continually makes excuses for him even when the rest of her team have given up on him. If she just "loved" him she wouldn't put up with this but I believe because she is "in love" with him she blindly goes along with his schemes. Even after he killed Timothy Carter and also disappeared for six months she STILL didn't give up on him. Love is built on trust and friendship and didn't Jane say he was looking for someone he could trust, who was better than him and would love him with all his faults! Having said that I don't think either of them realise their true feelings for each other.

I think she is the only one who understands why he is like he is. They both have their own issues but I think this would work to their advantage because they could help and support each other. They have both known loss in their lives. In Devil's Cherry Jane's subconscious is telling him he wants his family to let him move on and be happy and "Charlotte" seemed to like Lisbon!

I don't think it was Bruno's intention in the beginning for them to have a romantic relationship but I think because of the great on-screen chemistry between Simon and Robin it has naturally evolved. Jane must have a happy ending, it would be too cruel for him not to. I know it's Bruno's intention to finish the series after RJ is dead/caught but personally I would like to see how Jane copes with the aftermath of this. His reason "for getting up in the morning" will be gone and it won't bring back his family so I believe he will need the team and especially Lisbon to help him. I know I'm a "hopeless romantic" but hey who isn't?

Well that's just my humble opinion and it's good that we all have different ideas because it creates good debate!

Nixenkind Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 11:36 AM | Message # 52
Jillaroo

I agree 100% to this, Bee!!! And: I think after all he's been through, it is highly illogical that he falls in love with a woman who just happens to come along. After a trauma like his, things like love need time, and Lisbon and Jane HAD this time. I think it's importat that they've been friends first, they have so much trust between them, and the development of their relationship seems very natural and believable to me. Lisbon has changed A LOT over the seasons, she goes out of her way to protect and help him, and I'm convinced Heller is now planning on developing this- I think he will go slow. But I think he will go this way.
Lisbon is (in my opinion) pretty much the only option for a real relationship, because she fits Jane's description on the Flynn-video- someone who knows "the worst of him and still loves him"? Only Lisbon qualifies.
That's what I think.

Fran Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 11:43 AM | Message # 53
Fair Dinkum

Sorry to interrupt the interesting discussion, but I wanted to reply to this:
Quote (mossy62)
*Geez, I don't know what's wrong with my avatar. I've uploaded it several times, but it seems the site doesn't want to save it properly.

There is a maximum size limit of 100kb and 140x140px, so I don't know if that could be causing a problem for you.

Thrill Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 2:58 PM | Message # 54
Dinkie-Di

I too want Jane to be happy but I think it makes for much more interesting drama if they dont get together - ever.... Its the chase which is interesting... think of all the other TV shows where the leading pair have got together and how difficult it is to keep the drama going without something else catastrophic happening. Simon said the same on The Talk the other week...... If jane & Lisbon got together you could them have 1 ep about the awkwardness at work then the audience would be bored. Unfortunately after that opener which would have been good to follow up - SO asked another silly question and the moment was last.....

bee Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 3:50 PM | Message # 55
Fair Dinkum

What's the point in having a chase if there is no conclusion! Jane and Lisbon don't have to get together until the very end. It doesn't have to happen yet, they don't seem to be aware of each other's feelings at the moment anyway so their apparent undeclared attraction could go on for a long while yet! Much can happen in the meantime. If Jane is to be happy at the end (and we all agree on that) he has to find someone who loves him for who he is.....a caring, loving but damaged man who needs someone who is stronger than him who he can trust. Lisbon fills that bill. I wouldn't want to see him alone at the end and I cannot see him suddenly with someone else who doesn't really know him and his past. She'd have to be VERY understanding because when RJ is finally caught it will not be the end for Jane, he won't suddenly become this happy person....the memories of the past will still haunt him and I think it will take someone who has helped him cope with that past who will be the one he finally turns to.

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 3:56 PM

mossy62 Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 6:32 PM | Message # 56
Blow-In

Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely see the spark between the two and I totally agree with Thrill and bee about Lisbon being the best option for him for several reasons and the one that fits the description he gave in that video. If there is a relationship in store for him, it must be Lisbon, everything else wouldn't make any sense to me. She is the one who knows him.

My point is, I don't want it in the show, or at least not until very close to the end, because as Thrill says, it's the chase which is interesting from a dramaturgical standpoint. As much as their first real kiss would be a highlight at the very moment, this high would wear thin very quickly - and then what? Where would it go from there, considering that TM is a crime show? I think it wouldn't work and I'm sure the people involved know that very well. It would be a bang with nothing to follow. Seriously, I'd rather read loads of Jane/Lisbon fanfic than see the show ruined by that kind of plot. So please don't be mad at me, but I hope that Bruno Heller will stay away from it as long as possible.

@Fran: thanks for the hint, Fran. But I re-checked and the file is 23 kb and 100 x 100 px, so it isn't that. Never mind, if I find a spare minute, I'll try with another one smile

bee Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 7:07 PM | Message # 57
Fair Dinkum

mossy62 I am not mad at you, we are all entitled to our own opinions! We all have different views and I respect that. I agree it would be a lovely conclusion for Jane to find love again! smile

Juney Date: Monday, 04-Feb-13, 5:26 PM | Message # 58
Bee's Knees

I'm tired of it. wink

Hayseed Date: Monday, 04-Feb-13, 5:47 PM | Message # 59
Bee's Knees

What's the point in having a chase if there is no conclusion! Jane and Lisbon don't have to get together until the very end. It doesn't have to happen yet, they don't seem to be aware of each other's feelings at the moment anyway so their apparent undeclared attraction could go on for a long while yet! Much can happen in the meantime. If Jane is to be happy at the end (and we all agree on that) he has to find someone who loves him for who he is.....a caring, loving but damaged man who needs someone who is stronger than him who he can trust. Lisbon fills that bill. I wouldn't want to see him alone at the end and I cannot see him suddenly with someone else who doesn't really know him and his past. She'd have to be VERY understanding because when RJ is finally caught it will not be the end for Jane, he won't suddenly become this happy person....the memories of the past will still haunt him and I think it will take someone who has helped him cope with that past who will be the one he finally turns to.

This. Except I don't think they "can't see" each others' attraction but that each of them have put their attraction into a box that says, "Not possible right now."

I agree they can't get them together 'til at least very near the end, because it would take the tension out of the show. But as has been pointed out, Lisbon is everything Jane says he wants on that video. He just can't move forward until he gets closure.

Message edited by Hayseed - Monday, 04-Feb-13, 5:50 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 04-Feb-13, 6:11 PM | Message # 60
Bee's Knees

Since this show has now gone into syndication Heller must remember to leave room for speculations and maybe we will never see them actually get together after RJ is eliminated, which will happen very soon. The Patrick can start to get his life together again with the help of his CBI family. Lisbon is a very special part of that and is really quite fond and protective of him as we know but will the sparks fly, I believe that will be left to the viewer's imagination to complete the journey as they see fit.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Jisbon (Who's tired of it)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz